Buying a dog

Dagger Is Back

Dagger Is Back

After losing our Golden Retriever Skye, in October, we think we’re ready to welcome another dog into our lives

We got Skye in 2008 from a breeder in Peebles who was known to the family

So much has changed since then.

We’ve identified a litter via the Kennel Club, and they have two Labrador pups left out of 7. I’ve had photos sent through of Mum and her pups, a couple of the pups and Dad but the pups are only a week old

The breeder isn’t an accredited breeder on KC but the pups have been registered

I can’t find anything about the breeder on line, he’s a farmer in Girvan ie no website

We paid £600 12 years ago but the deposit this time around is £500

I’m not for coughing up £500 without seeing them with the Mum and checking out the breeders. I would have expected a reputable breeder to feel likewise about us as potential owners.The family though are putting the pressure on and I’m already Mr Bad Dad for not having coughed up 20% of the guys asking price!!!!

Any words of advice, experiences to share JKB?

I’m looking for helpful posts so please don’t bother posting if you don’t have something constructive to contribute

Obviously its up to you, but I had a lovely dog who unfortunately passed away last year that was s a rescue. She was the most wonderful boxer and personally I think they are the best breed in the world. That's not the point though, have a look online and see  if there are any lab rescue societies and go from there, just my humble opinion. Save some money and help out an animal in need of some love.

Nicholas Brody

I'm moving into a new place, hopefully at the end of the year and have my heart set on a Golden Retriever. Some of the prices I've seen recently have been outrageous though. £3000 or thereabouts. Sorta hoping it's just a lockdown influx with supply and demand. 

CavySlaveJambo

The Kennel Club and DEFRA Have recommend using FaceTime/Skype/messenger to see the mum and pups together while the pandemic is ongoing 

however many reputable breeders will have waiting lists either while waiting to confirm pregnancy or while the pups are still young.  But at the moment part of the reason the price is so high is supply and demand. 

Demand for dogs has shot up during lockdown and with that so have prices. As an example we got a cockapoo in February and paid £1200. General asking price for them is now £3/3.5k. Higher deposits also being sought.

I have seen a few stories of people being done over through paying deposits for non-existent dogs. The sellers have been using fake names and addresses though, or at least names and addresses that are not their own, so if you are sure that the farmer is real and that is who you are speaking to then that should be less of a concern.

You might want to check if they are registered as a breeder through their local council, which is different from being registered with the KC.

I've PM'd you.

It's a bloody nightmare getting good healthy pups, not helped by the KC, as big a shower of disinterested money grabbing wankers this side of the moon 🤬🤬🤬🤬

What you describe about the pups screams alarm bells, I'd definitely be looking elsewhere. 

12 hours ago, jambo_74 said:

Obviously its up to you, but I had a lovely dog who unfortunately passed away last year that was s a rescue. She was the most wonderful boxer and personally I think they are the best breed in the world. That's not the point though, have a look online and see  if there are any lab rescue societies and go from there, just my humble opinion. Save some money and help out an animal in need of some love.

This. 

Don't shop - adopt

Had 2 rescues growing up and adopted one a couple years ago. 

So many people who bought dogs during lockdown are about to get a massive shock when they all **** off back to work and leave a terrified dog on its own for the first time.....

Ron Burgundy
18 minutes ago, The Brow said:

This. 

Don't shop - adopt

So many people who bought dogs during lockdown are about to get a massive shock when they all **** off back to work and leave a terrified dog on its own for the first time.....

Another for this.

Although I get that folk with kids may not want a dog that they don't really know the history of.

Jambo-Jimbo
48 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Another for this.

Although I get that folk with kids may not want a dog that they don't really know the history of.

Very often the staff at a rescue centre will know the dogs history at least in part, such as if it's come from a family with kids or just an old person, whether it's been abused, what it's temperament is like, if it's nervous if it's aggressive or if it's suitable for a family with kids.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, The Brow said:

This. 

Don't shop - adopt

My son works at an animal rescue centre and he said the number of enquiries that they had about dogs the minute lock-down was announced was ridiculous, it was clear people weren't thinking about afterwards, when they went back to work and the dog was left on it's own.

As it turned out, they only had 3 dogs at the centre when lock-down was announced and two of them were already in the process of being re-homed, so they were allowed to continue and the dogs were re-homed, the other dog is still at the centre as they refused to even consider re-homing him during lock-down, which is what they told people, come back after lock-down and we'll see, besides the centre is shut to the public anyway, but that doesn't stop people phoning enquiring about dogs, every day or so.

Dagger Is Back

Thanks for all the advice folks. Your input is much appreciated. JKB is a great place to come for info and shared experiences 

Dawnrazor, I’ll reply to your PMs in a wee while 

Jambof3tornado
14 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

After losing our Golden Retriever Skye, in October, we think we’re ready to welcome another dog into our lives

We’ve identified a litter via the Kennel Club, and they have two Labrador pups left out of 7. I’ve had photos sent through of Mum and her pups, a couple of the pups and Dad but the pups are only a week old

I can’t find anything about the breeder on line, he’s a farmer in Girvan ie no website

I’m not for coughing up £500 without seeing them with the Mum and checking out the breeders. I would have expected a reputable breeder to feel likewise about us as potential owners.The family though are putting the pressure on and I’m already Mr Bad Dad for not having coughed up 20% of the guys asking price!!!!

I’m looking for helpful posts so please don’t bother posting if you don’t have something constructive to contribute

Any decent breeder should be happy with you wanting to go look before paying anything.

Be careful buying from down that way lots of pups come up from Ireland having saying this it may be ok if you are unsure walk away

Look for the following names in the pedigree ramsayville rocheby poolstead sandilands they are all good bloodlines also phone the labrador club of Scotland they will have a list of reputable breeders

Try ramsayville kennels near Falkirk been breeding labradors since 1973

17 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Just to add from a previous post do your homework on researching good breeders as what should be an exciting time could turn into a costly nightmare if you rush into it best of

Luck and keep us posted when you do eventually get one

6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Very often the staff at a rescue centre will know the dogs history at least in part, such as if it's come from a family with kids or just an old person, whether it's been abused, what it's temperament is like, if it's nervous if it's aggressive or if it's suitable for a family with kids.

I don't have a lifestyle suitable for a dog, but do spend too much time on the Dogs Trust website. All the dogs have very specific descriptions of suitable homes e.g. Nor suitable for homes with young kids, not suitable for city centre homes/not suitable for homes with other animals. That said my old neighbours got a dog who had been taken there as she was supposedly bad with children. They learned over time she was great with kids but terrified of people with walking sticks.

CavySlaveJambo
On 25/06/2020 at 13:07, Jambof3tornado said:

Any decent breeder should be happy with you wanting to go look before paying anything.

With the restrictions at the moment it should be Skype/FaceTime/Messenger video calls that should be offered. 

if pups are KC reg then the parents health tests should be available through the MyKC service. And anyone can log in and find them AS long as the parents are health tested. 

please consider rescuing from the shelter instead

if i was to get more pets thats exactly what id do. iv got two cats at the moment which my ex bird bought for me or i would have rescued two. iv had them for 3 years now

Another vote for rescue. I get not for everyone but we’ve had ours 6 months and he’s a wee diamond 

Do The Dance

Had our rescue for 9 years now. Great dog with an amazing temperament. Had 2 kids since then and he's never even barked at them.

On 25/06/2020 at 11:29, The Brow said:

Spot on. I was informed by an employee last week that after lockdown "they'd need to come back to the office on a 'phased return' basis because they now had a dog." I mean, that's not the dogs fault, but jeezo...

CavySlaveJambo
9 hours ago, WagonWheel said:

Spot on. I was informed by an employee last week that after lockdown "they'd need to come back to the office on a 'phased return' basis because they now had a dog." I mean, that's not the dogs fault, but jeezo...

Now lockdown is easing they can work on getting the dog used to being home alone too. Before they go back to work. 

• 1 month later...
Dagger Is Back

Thanks for all the advice folks which was very useful.

This is Duke who is 9 weeks old and now part of our family. After losing Skye in October our house now feels like a home again

C8E48236-6B7F-4216-9A0E-1D0890138ACF.jpeg

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

This is Duke who is 9 weeks old and now part of our family. After losing Skye in October our house now feels like a home again

Brilliant.

Really pleased for you.

I lost my Black Labrador after 15 years 10 years ago and I found it difficult to come to terms with it.

Probably should have got another one but didn’t have the courage.

Have lots of years with the new member of the family.

Dagger Is Back
10 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Brilliant.

Really pleased for you.

I lost my Black Labrador after 15 years 10 years ago and I found it difficult to come to terms with it.

Probably should have got another one but didn’t have the courage.

Have lots of years with the new member of the family.

Thanks matey. I hear you and know exactly how you feel. They're such a huge part of the family and your life. I'd said never again but the house just seemed so empty. Duke will be well loved and looked after that's for sure

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Thanks matey. I hear you and know exactly how you feel. They're such a huge part of the family and your life. I'd said never again but the house just seemed so empty. Duke will be well loved and looked after that's for sure

👍

1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

If that ws the Golden Retriever pup you were going to get........you've been done!!!!!

Dagger Is Back
23 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

If that ws the Golden Retriever pup you were going to get........you've been done!!!!!

Aye something missing in the breed and colour description! LOL.

A GR wasn't on the agenda, just too much of a reminder .

Very happy with the wee fella

Dagger Is Back
18 minutes ago, Baillie07 said:

How much did you pay for the dog mate? Looking to get one myself, did you go far to get him? 

I'd rather not say but we spoke to lots of breeders before buying him. Prices ranged from £1500/2500. We researched via the Kennel Club and Champdogs but there are folks on this thread who have loads of useful info and contacts. They've got breeders listed split by area. We ended up going to Ayr

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Is your house built over an old pit shaft? Bad subsidence clearly!!

Braw looking wee beastie.

Look forward to more pics.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Is your house built over an old pit shaft? Bad subsidence clearly!!

Braw looking wee beastie.

Look forward to more pics.

Ha ha.

Yeah don’t know why the photo  got rotated when it was being uploaded

Typical lab. Eating anything and everything. On constant red alert, he’s already been at a slug and had to take a bee out of his mouth this morning 

Jambof3tornado
7 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Ha ha.

Yeah don’t know why the photo  got rotated when it was being uploaded

Typical lab. Eating anything and everything. On constant red alert, he’s already been at a slug and had to take a bee out of his mouth this morning 

Always had labs, brilliant dogs!! Hope he settles in quick and gives you plenty years of obedience!!(when it suits him).

King Of The Cat Cafe
10 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I'd rather not say but we spoke to lots of breeders before buying him. Prices ranged from £1500/2500. We researched via the Kennel Club and Champdogs but there are folks on this thread who have loads of useful info and contacts. They've got breeders listed split by area. We ended up going to Ayr

I was talking to a woman who got a Chocolate Lab the weekend before lockdown.  The price doubled within days.

My own choccie was £500 when she arrived 12 years ago.  Would have been £600 with papers.

Dagger Is Back
17 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Always had labs, brilliant dogs!! Hope he settles in quick and gives you plenty years of obedience!!(when it suits him).

Nailed it, when it suits him! 

They are brilliant digs. I just love their loyalty.

5 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

I was talking to a woman who got a Chocolate Lab the weekend before lockdown.  The price doubled within days.

My own choccie was £500 when she arrived 12 years ago.  Would have been £600 with papers.

The price of pups is absolutely ridiculous at the moment, 2500 quid for mongrels!!

Dagger Is Back
6 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Yip the old supply and demand. We paid the same as you 12 years ago for our GR and I thought that was a shedload of money 

Lone Striker

Hope the wee fella heals your pain, Dagger - although we always retain  a permanent place in our hearts for each dog we've lost.  

It's not  surprising that  rescue centres stopped re-homing during lockdown - quite a sensible precaution to protect the dog's future welfare actually.    Just like they don't re-home in December either, to stop the dafties using them as Xmas presents.

As a point of principle though, I would urge anyone who is looking to add a doggie to their household to consider the rescue charities first.   The reputable rescue charities have behavioural experts work with the dogs to assess and improve their suitability for re-homing (as much as possible).     And please also consider an "oldie" - they tend to get overlooked, but they'll  give just as much love/loyalty/fun (and mischief) as any other dog ...... just for a little bit shorter time.  You'll benefit from knowing you made a difference to a  creature in need.

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Hope the wee fella heals your pain, Dagger - although we always retain  a permanent place in our hearts for each dog we've lost.  

It's not  surprising that  rescue centres stopped re-homing during lockdown - quite a sensible precaution to protect the dog's future welfare actually.    Just like they don't re-home in December either, to stop the dafties using them as Xmas presents.

As a point of principle though, I would urge anyone who is looking to add a doggie to their household to consider the rescue charities first.   The reputable rescue charities have behavioural experts work with the dogs to assess and improve their suitability for re-homing (as much as possible).     And please also consider an "oldie" - they tend to get overlooked, but they'll  give just as much love/loyalty/fun (and mischief) as any other dog ...... just for a little bit shorter time.  You'll benefit from knowing you made a difference to a  creature in need.

:greatpost:

FAO dagger

Hi Paul you may not remember me we met once in the Ardmillan Hotel before a home game. I was the female who was telling you about my Gin tasting project!

Anyway, like you my friends dog died last year and she was ready to look for a puppy so I’d shown her this thread and she took on board the advice re scammers.

I visited her today and I was showing her the photo of the puppy you have bought and I commented on how alike her new puppy and yours is. She said she recognised your couch from her WhatsApp group! Turns out you both bought a male puppy from the same litter from the farmer in Ayr so they are bro’s lol

like your puppy hers is delightful, chewing everything in sight. He also bolts down his food in seconds. He’s bringing lots of pleasure to my friend and her hubby after the loss of her dog.

Small world eh!

Dagger Is Back
18 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Great post mate and the wee fella is already working his magic. It's great to hear laughter in the house again. 

Thank you

Dagger Is Back
53 minutes ago, susanjambo said:

FAO dagger

Hi Paul you may not remember me we met once in the Ardmillan Hotel before a home game. I was the female who was telling you about my Gin tasting project!

Anyway, like you my friends dog died last year and she was ready to look for a puppy so I’d shown her this thread and she took on board the advice re scammers.

I visited her today and I was showing her the photo of the puppy you have bought and I commented on how alike her new puppy and yours is. She said she recognised your couch from her WhatsApp group! Turns out you both bought a male puppy from the same litter from the farmer in Ayr so they are bro’s lol

like your puppy hers is delightful, chewing everything in sight. He also bolts down his food in seconds. He’s bringing lots of pleasure to my friend and her hubby after the loss of her dog.

Small world eh!

Hey Susan

Great to hear from you and of course I remember you. Bloody hell what a coincidence! Small world indeed. Is your friend in Penicuik - what did they end up calling him?

It was a brilliant set up down in Ayr and we were very impressed with the way the pups had been looked after. The advice here though was good, as it usually is.

Ha ha, yes carbon copy here. Electric cables are now out of harms way, along with plants. The garden is being systematically destroyed and he has more toys than Pets At Home, although he's happiest with an old cardboard box, plastic plant pot or an empty Coke bottle

The food thing too. Wolfs it down and then looks as if he was expecting something else. The breeder said, that's him looking for the other bowls to steal from the ones who weren't quite as quick!

This is the wee daftie having a mad turn

Will see you with Alex and the rest of the gang for a pre match drink and a blether when we're allowed back home

Hope you're safe and well

Edited by Dagger Is Back

The Real Maroonblood
16 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Hey Susan

Great to hear from you and of course I remember you. Bloody hell what a coincidence! Small world indeed. Is your friend in Penicuik - what did they end up calling him?

It was a brilliant set up down in Ayr and we were very impressed with the way the pups had been looked after. The advice here though was good, as it usually is.

Ha ha, yes carbon copy here. Electric cables are now out of harms way, along with plants. The garden is being systematically destroyed and he has more toys than Pets At Home, although he's happiest with an old cardboard box, plastic plant pot or an empty Coke bottle

The food thing too. Wolfs it down and then looks as if he was expecting something else. The breeder said, that's him looking for the other bowls to steal from the ones who weren't quite as quick!

Will see you with Alex and the rest of the gang for a pre match drink and a blether when we're allowed back home

Fantastic.

Must admit it brought a tear to my eye.

CavySlaveJambo

I’m waiting on getting to meet my wee girl.  Got 2 more weeks to wait, because I am after a Poodle I get the joys of travelling. 

On 25/08/2020 at 17:38, Dagger Is Back said:

Hey Susan

Hi Paul thanks for the reply and for posting the video. Yeah my friends stays in Penicuik and has called her puppy Brody. She was really impressed with the breeders set up and we both enjoyed watching the updates on Whatsapp. Had a giggle at your video of Duke taking a daft turn my friend said her puppy has his daft moments too. 

Hope it's not too long before we can get back to the football. Our group all have our season tickets but wont be going to any away games apart from Inverness and Edinburgh City for obvious reasons!

"Only Hearts" for us now .

Hope all's well with you and yours :)

Dagger Is Back
9 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Fantastic.

Must admit it brought a tear to my eye.

👍

Edited by Dagger Is Back