Sign in to follow this  
sassenach

Neil Warnock

sassenach

New Boro manager replacing Jonathan Woodgate.

Good move for Boro, hopefully 8 games are enough for him to keep them up.

I said at the time that I'd have liked Colin to have replaced Levein, perhaps just to stabilise until the end of the season.  Some of his comments at the time suggested that this might have been an option, but I doubt we could have afforded him.

Derek From Stenhouse

Who's Colin? 

Newton51
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Derek From Stenhouse said:

Who's Colin? 

anagram - Colin W*****r

word muted by mods

Edited by Newton51

tian447
5 minutes ago, Derek From Stenhouse said:

Who's Colin? 

Neil Warnock = Colin

If you take the letters in Colin out of his name, you're left with (eWarnk). I'm sure you can figure it out :lol:

Mikey1874

First sacking since the restart. 

Lost their first game but should be safe now you would think.

CARDIFFBOY

Warnock's last hurrah?  Personally I thank him for what he did for Cardiff but when he went it was definitely time for a change. Time will tell as they say.  

Mikey1874
17 minutes ago, CARDIFFBOY said:

Warnock's last hurrah?  Personally I thank him for what he did for Cardiff but when he went it was definitely time for a change. Time will tell as they say.  

Said it was his last job at least 8 jobs ago. 

HMFC01
2 hours ago, tian447 said:

Neil Warnock = Colin

If you take the letters in Colin out of his name, you're left with (eWarnk). I'm sure you can figure it out :lol:

That's some complicated stuff there!  :)  Glad you explained it, I thought it was Calderwood. :lolderwood:

Montgomery Brewster

The boy should pack it in. 71. Retire 

sassenach
51 minutes ago, CARDIFFBOY said:

How is Callum Paterson doing at Cardiff?  I'm not sure whether Warnock is just an emergency manager until the end of the season, but if he gets a window I'd love him to bring Callum to The Boro if he's available.

milky_26
3 minutes ago, sassenach said:

How is Callum Paterson doing at Cardiff?  I'm not sure whether Warnock is just an emergency manager until the end of the season, but if he gets a window I'd love him to bring Callum to The Boro if he's available.

Paterson started for cardiff in their 2-0 win v leeds this week

sassenach
Just now, milky_26 said:

Paterson started for cardiff in their 2-0 win v leeds this week

I saw that, but he was subbed and by all accounts Cardiff were second best (I understand that goals win games).

I was just wondering whether Callum is in Cardiff's plans long term.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

It’s not old.

:P

Barack
13 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Hodgson's doing ok at 73.

EagleJambo

When he joined Palace in 2007 he said that would be his final managerial position. Reckon he will keep Boro up though.

neilnunb

The guy must hold the record for manager posts, surely? Give it up ffs. 🤣

milky_26
34 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

The guy must hold the record for manager posts, surely? Give it up ffs. 🤣

hodgson has had around 4 more managerial jobs than warnock

neilnunb
Just now, milky_26 said:

hodgson has had around 4 more managerial jobs than warnock

😲 

milky_26
Just now, neilnunb said:

😲

including international jobs and caretaker roles hodgson is on job 22, warnock is on job 18

mitch41

Steve Gibson has all the money in the world and yet he has wasted hundreds of millions on Managers who are just not good enough. His judgement is badly flawed and although he is a good businessman and a lifelong ‘Borough fan he really should get someone in who can spot a good manager of his team.

Glamorgan Jambo
1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I saw that, but he was subbed and by all accounts Cardiff were second best (I understand that goals win games).

Pretty sure he is central to Cardiff’s plans for at least the next couple of seasons. They’re still

in with a shout at the play offs this season. Was initially dropped by Harris but very much back in the picture in the lead up to lockdown. 

sassenach
2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Steve Gibson has all the money in the world and yet he has wasted hundreds of millions on Managers who are just not good enough. His judgement is badly flawed and although he is a good businessman and a lifelong ‘Borough fan he really should get someone in who can spot a good manager of his team.

Gibson has often suffered for being a bit of a gentleman.  He won't, for example, approach a manager who is already under contract with another club, so it limits the club to older managers who are out of work and young coaches who might be worth a punt.

The younger coaches have done OK - Bryan Robson was the initial catalyst for attracting big name players and Steve McClaren built on that spectacularly by winning the club's only trophy and reaching a UEFA final. Even Karanka managed a playoff final followed by automatic promotion, although relegation swiftly followed. Gareth Southgate was disappointing, but he lost many of McClaren's players at the same time and found it difficult to rebuild.  Also, many people believe he wasn't allowed to make his own signings. His career in the FA suggests he is a decent coach, but I imagine  we'll find out one day when he goes back to club management. The only young coach who you could really say failed is Woodgate. He hasn't had the funds available that his immediate predecessors had, but granted there are some expensive players there so he should have done better.

Of the established managers, Strachan, Monk and Pulis were considered to be good appointments by most pundits at the time, so hindsight is a wonderful thing. Mowbray came in at a time when there was no money available but still managed to trim the squad and improve the team, so not really a failure in the circumstances. That leaves Warnock, who again many believe to be a good appointment under the current circumstances. Time will tell.

ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Pretty sure he is central to Cardiff’s plans for at least the next couple of seasons. They’re still

in with a shout at the play offs this season. Was initially dropped by Harris but very much back in the picture in the lead up to lockdown. 

Paterson played in the win against Leeds, and Cardiff are well in the mix for a promotion play-off spot. It's great to see CP doing so well down there.

CARDIFFBOY
5 hours ago, sassenach said:

Hi there, Pato is a fans favourite here in Cardiff, bought him as a full back but Warnock used him as a makeshift striker and he has done well, can't see him moving anywhere soon. 

CARDIFFBOY
2 hours ago, sassenach said:

Gibson has often suffered for being a bit of a gentleman.  He won't, for example, approach a manager who is already under contract with another club, so it limits the club to older managers who are out of work and young coaches who might be worth a punt.

The younger coaches have done OK - Bryan Robson was the initial catalyst for attracting big name players and Steve McClaren built on that spectacularly by winning the club's only trophy and reaching a UEFA final. Even Karanka managed a playoff final followed by automatic promotion, although relegation swiftly followed. Gareth Southgate was disappointing, but he lost many of McClaren's players at the same time and found it difficult to rebuild.  Also, many people believe he wasn't allowed to make his own signings. His career in the FA suggests he is a decent coach, but I imagine  we'll find out one day when he goes back to club management. The only young coach who you could really say failed is Woodgate. He hasn't had the funds available that his immediate predecessors had, but granted there are some expensive players there so he should have done better.

Of the established managers, Strachan, Monk and Pulis were considered to be good appointments by most pundits at the time, so hindsight is a wonderful thing. Mowbray came in at a time when there was no money available but still managed to trim the squad and improve the team, so not really a failure in the circumstances. That leaves Warnock, who again many believe to be a good appointment under the current circumstances. Time will tell.

Sassenach, do you still follow Boro? How have the Hearts fans taken to you? 

Morgan
6 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

The boy should pack it in. 71. Retire 

Oxymoron?

:) 

sassenach
1 hour ago, CARDIFFBOY said:

Sassenach, do you still follow Boro? How have the Hearts fans taken to you? 

Hi mate. I haven't actively supported Boro for quite a few years now. I became disillusioned with a system which means the best that middling clubs like Boro can hope for is spending millions getting promoted to a league they have no chance of winning, followed by spending millions more trying to stay there and eventually getting relegated anyway. There's just no point to it.

I found Hearts quite by accident, and I only get to 3 or 4 games a season due to cost and time, but I get the buzz that I no longer get from games in England. It's difficult to explain, but being a football fan is about emotion, not logic, otherwise we'd all spend our money on something that's probably better value than football.

I generally go to games on my own and I'll speak to whoever will put up with me in the pub or in the ground. I don't think Boro has ever been mentioned, but I've never had any problem with being English.

I've seen you post elsewhere that you're planning to go to some Hearts games.  It's a great day out and you'll have no problems. Just don't ask for chips with your fish, sausage or haggis cos you'll get blank looks - ask for a fish supper instead. And get plenty of salt and sauce, never vinegar, and you'll fit right in.

Montgomery Brewster
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Oxymoron?

:) 

Heheheh . Should still pack in 😂

HMFC01
42 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Hi mate. I haven't actively supported Boro for quite a few years now. I became disillusioned with a system which means the best that middling clubs like Boro can hope for is spending millions getting promoted to a league they have no chance of winning, followed by spending millions more trying to stay there and eventually getting relegated anyway. There's just no point to it.

I found Hearts quite by accident, and I only get to 3 or 4 games a season due to cost and time, but I get the buzz that I no longer get from games in England. It's difficult to explain, but being a football fan is about emotion, not logic, otherwise we'd all spend our money on something that's probably better value than football.

I generally go to games on my own and I'll speak to whoever will put up with me in the pub or in the ground. I don't think Boro has ever been mentioned, but I've never had any problem with being English.

I've seen you post elsewhere that you're planning to go to some Hearts games.  It's a great day out and you'll have no problems. Just don't ask for chips with your fish, sausage or haggis cos you'll get blank looks - ask for a fish supper instead. And get plenty of salt and sauce, never vinegar, and you'll fit right in.

If you ask for say a white pudding (oatmeal wi' batter) they will most likely say do you want chips with that! :P Or you mean a single pudding?  Crazy talk 🤷‍♂️

I prefer vinegar, I think the brown sauce kills it.  I sometimes like a curry sauce wi' vinegar combo.  Tastes better.  

I liked watching Boro' back when the wee man Juninho played.  

Cruickshank for Scotland
7 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Sounds familiar.....🤔

John Findlay
17 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Roy Hodgson is 72.

mitch41
10 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Sounds familiar.....🤔

Aye too familiar lol.

CARDIFFBOY
15 hours ago, sassenach said:

Sassenach, not really sure how anyone can find and fall in love with a club by accident but thanks for your responses and when I eventually make my first trip up to Edinburgh I hope we can meet for a pre match beer or two. I am also disillusioned with the EPL and EFL and really looking forward to following a great Club with great fans. Best Name, Best Badge, Best Stadium, Best Fans. HHGH.  Terry. 

sassenach
3 minutes ago, CARDIFFBOY said:

Sassenach, not really sure how anyone can find and fall in love with a club by accident but thanks for your responses and when I eventually make my first trip up to Edinburgh I hope we can meet for a pre match beer or two. I am also disillusioned with the EPL and EFL and really looking forward to following a great Club with great fans. Best Name, Best Badge, Best Stadium, Best Fans. HHGH.  Terry. 

Ha! The rest of your post more or less answers your first sentence.

I just fancied seeing a Scottish game for a change and saw that Hearts were at home.  I brought my wee nephew up on the train and The Hearts just worked its magic on me.

I'm lucky it wasn't Hibs who happened to be at home that particular weekend :)

RobNox
46 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I just fancied seeing a Scottish game for a change and saw that Hearts were at home.  I brought my wee nephew up on the train and The Hearts just worked its magic on me.

A sliding door moment indeed, you might have descended into a drug hell by now :thumbsup:

sassenach
42 minutes ago, RobNox said:

A sliding door moment indeed, you might have descended into a drug hell by now :thumbsup:

Coincidentally I watched Trainspotting last week for the very first time 😆

Mr Benn
Posted (edited)

I wanted Stendel from the start, but Warnock was my second preference. I don’t think we would have ended where we were with him in charge. He plays the percentages. 

Edited by Mr Benn

Ronaldo9

I didn't think they we're that close to the bottom Boro, you'd assume that he'll be able to get enough out of the players to dig them out the hole they've found themselves in. 

CARDIFFBOY

Sassenach, you chose well. I have just bought a 20/21 season ticket and hoping to get up there as soon as possible, I assume you either drive up or catch the train to Edinburgh, let me know best places to stay,best parking etc if you can as that would be very helpful. I will probably fly up as it's an 8 hour, 400 miles trip from Cardiff. Just over an hour by plane. Terry. HHGH.

sassenach
2 hours ago, CARDIFFBOY said:

Sassenach, you chose well. I have just bought a 20/21 season ticket and hoping to get up there as soon as possible, I assume you either drive up or catch the train to Edinburgh, let me know best places to stay,best parking etc if you can as that would be very helpful. I will probably fly up as it's an 8 hour, 400 miles trip from Cardiff. Just over an hour by plane. Terry. HHGH.

I get the train for games. I never use the car because I like a drink too, it's all part of the day out. I live in the wilds of North Yorkshire, nowhere near the main railway lines. If I get the 5.15am bus from home on a Saturday I can arrive in Haymarket at about 10.30. It sounds like a long journey, but it's because I have to wait around between connections, so part of that time is spent having breakfast in Darlington or Newcastle. And as long as I'm in The Diggers for 11 I don't care 🍻  It sounds as if your journey from Cardiff will be quicker though.

The problem with Scottish football is that Celtic and Rangers away games are always on TV, so generally lunchtime kickoffs and mostly Sundays. Derbies also tend to be at unsociable times, so because I rely on public transport I don't manage to get to many bigger games. I'm sort of looking forward to the Championship because there'll be more Saturday 3pm kickoffs. I have stayed over for the odd Derby, but Edinburgh is generally expensive so look online for the best deals. Make the effort to go to a derby though (depending on what league we're in) because the atmosphere is always excellent, especially when we win at their place.

I'm impressed that you've bought a season ticket if you're based in Cardiff. Will you get to many games? I hope the air fare isn't too expensive. My day usually costs just over £100 including beer, food, match ticket and rail fare. If there are no cheap rail fares available I don't usually bother, as I can't justify any extra cost to my family.

CARDIFFBOY
1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I get the train for games. I never use the car because I like a drink too, it's all part of the day out. I live in the wilds of North Yorkshire, nowhere near the main railway lines. If I get the 5.15am bus from home on a Saturday I can arrive in Haymarket at about 10.30. It sounds like a long journey, but it's because I have to wait around between connections, so part of that time is spent having breakfast in Darlington or Newcastle. And as long as I'm in The Diggers for 11 I don't care 🍻  It sounds as if your journey from Cardiff will be quicker though.

The problem with Scottish football is that Celtic and Rangers away games are always on TV, so generally lunchtime kickoffs and mostly Sundays. Derbies also tend to be at unsociable times, so because I rely on public transport I don't manage to get to many bigger games. I'm sort of looking forward to the Championship because there'll be more Saturday 3pm kickoffs. I have stayed over for the odd Derby, but Edinburgh is generally expensive so look online for the best deals. Make the effort to go to a derby though (depending on what league we're in) because the atmosphere is always excellent, especially when we win at their place.

I'm impressed that you've bought a season ticket if you're based in Cardiff. Will you get to many games? I hope the air fare isn't too expensive. My day usually costs just over £100 including beer, food, match ticket and rail fare. If there are no cheap rail fares available I don't usually bother, as I can't justify any extra cost to my family.

Hi mate, I will try to make a few home games, bought the season ticket mainly to ensure I have a seat and to help support the Club through these difficult times. Just have to check out the hotels and guest houses now for some decent overnight accommodation. Can't wait to finally be walking down Gorgie Road and Macleod Street and seeing Tynie in all it's glory and downing a few beers pre match. Keep in touch mate. Terry HHGH. 

sassenach
Posted (edited)

X

Edited by sassenach
Double post

sassenach
56 minutes ago, CARDIFFBOY said:

Hi mate, I will try to make a few home games, bought the season ticket mainly to ensure I have a seat and to help support the Club through these difficult times. Just have to check out the hotels and guest houses now for some decent overnight accommodation. Can't wait to finally be walking down Gorgie Road and Macleod Street and seeing Tynie in all it's glory and downing a few beers pre match. Keep in touch mate. Terry HHGH. 

Cheers mate. I'll try to remember to PM you if I'm going to a game. All up in the air at the moment, what with Covid and the court case. I'm also getting made redundant in September so I don't even know if and when I'll be working during the new season.

CARDIFFBOY
32 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Cheers mate. I'll try to remember to PM you if I'm going to a game. All up in the air at the moment, what with Covid and the court case. I'm also getting made redundant in September so I don't even know if and when I'll be working during the new season.

Sorry to hear about the redundancy mate, if you are able to make it to a game pm me which one, incidentally although I have lived in Wales for 33 years now I am originally from Southampton so also a sassenach like yourself. My heart is now with Hearts and let's hope that it all comes good for them on and off the pitch. HHGH. Keep in touch, Terry 

John mcCartney

Respect to the lads who head north to our manor .Great reading,well done :flag1:

Worthing Jambo
11 hours ago, CARDIFFBOY said:

Sorry to hear about the redundancy mate, if you are able to make it to a game pm me which one, incidentally although I have lived in Wales for 33 years now I am originally from Southampton so also a sassenach like yourself. My heart is now with Hearts and let's hope that it all comes good for them on and off the pitch. HHGH. Keep in touch, Terry 

Worth keeping an eye on the hub by premier inn, just up from Haymarket.

Fine for an overnight and you won’t care anyway after a few bevvies.

Like everything, the earlier you book the better.

CARDIFFBOY
3 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Worth keeping an eye on the hub by premier inn, just up from Haymarket.

Fine for an overnight and you won’t care anyway after a few bevvies.

Like everything, the earlier you book the better.

Thanks Worthing Jambo, wonder how many Jambos are travelling up from towns and cities in England and Wales for a home game at Tynecastle?  HHGH

CARDIFFBOY
3 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

Respect to the lads who head north to our manor .Great reading,well done :flag1:

Thanks John, the Maroon and White Jambo Army is spread far and wide mate.   HHGH.  Terry. 

Worthing Jambo
1 hour ago, CARDIFFBOY said:

Thanks Worthing Jambo, wonder how many Jambos are travelling up from towns and cities in England and Wales for a home game at Tynecastle?  HHGH

Aye, there are a few in this neck of the woods.

One in particular never has anything better to do😁

Mikey1874

Here's one for the stats people.

Leeds (beaten by Cardiff last week) have lost 9 league games.

Cardiff are the first team to beat Leeds to win their next league game. Just beat Preston 3-1 to go 6th into Play Off position.