Berra

HamishMcGonagall

HamishMcGonagall

In the championship, with Neilson as manager and therefore no longer playing such a high and exposed backline... does he have his place back in the squad?  I think he has another year on his contract?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cruyff

• OTT

• busby1985

• Lfhearts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18Jambo_dave74

He shouldn't be first choice but I'm sure he could have a role as a squad player and see out the last year of his contract. 

Berra can and hopefully will play plenty of times for Hearts next season whatever league we are in.

By all accounts played well at Dundee in a non-kamikaze back line and will do just the same for us.

Love the man but he’s done at Hearts. Doesn’t really have a “footballing brain” that gives him more time and an extra yard. Need to be looking at younger models imo.

Captain Canada

Not for me. His lack of pace and passing ability are real weaknesses. He also showed no leadership qualities on the pitch during our woeful run of form. 

If the set of circumstances you describe comes to pass then I think he will be back and getting a fair amount of game time. Hopefully though we remain in the top flight and although he will probably be back he may play much less. 

Rick Sanchez

If it's the championship I'd keep him and let his contract run down, he'd be decent backup.

If it's the premiership then I'd get rid tbh.

I can see Robbie being sentimental though.

13 minutes ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

In the championship, with Neilson as manager and therefore no longer playing such a high and exposed backline... does he have his place back in the squad?  I think he has another year on his contract?

He’d need to improve.  He was dreadful.  

Glamorgan Jambo

I think he'll be ideal for the championship. Which I'm resigned to us playing in next season. Given that we'll likely need to shift a few players Halkett may have some offers from the Premier League.

Fit and with a better keeper behind him we could do worse, however he's a year older than he was and we should be looking long term. Certainly useful squad player

I felt he was very shoddily treated and would welcome him back. Only two seasons ago he was probably our best player

Saint Jambo

Questions around whether he has been able to rebuild any speed. Tough at his age and with his injury record.

If we are in the Championship I think he is capable of starting. If we are in the Premiership then back-up. Supporters may have to take a reality check about our ability to bring in lots of new players in the current financial climate regardless of which league we are in. I'm not sure we can afford to have players like Berra collecting wages this season without filling at least a squad slot. I'd hope Souttar and Halkett are the first choice centre backs regardless of league, but agree with the post above that if we end up in the Championship one or both might look to move on.

We need to start looking forward.  For years you have debates on here from some about moving with the times, not having managerial dinosaurs, young coaches etc etc....I think we need fresh thinking in respect of who’s going to start in the first 11.

I’m not really that damning or biased in my thinking as some “old” habits and thought processes in football have their place but everyone gets to a point where they think it’s time for a change.  

I think CB could be in the squad to offer experience and cover but I’m not sure he’d want that?  If we aren’t going to think out the box in our managerial appointment I hope the managerial department do. 

Back up on the bench at best. Offer him some sort of ambassador role. But starting week in / week out in Premiership or Championship is too much for him now.

Holding a lead with 10 mins to go or needing a goal to get a result, he would be good to have that option available

The Treasurer

Wouldn't be surprised to see Berra as part of RN's coaching staff, whether he is retained as a player could well be decided on which league we are in

Dallas Green

His knee injury has hampered him.

I'm not against giving him the chance to prove himself to Robbie though. It's up to him now to decide if he has a place in the first eleven. 

Not good enough for the premier league and too expensive for the championship so it's a no from me but he'll go with my best wishes, great servant to the club but all good thing s must come to an end

Berra is a god lad who has been an excellent servant for Hearts over his 2 stints.

I don't remember reading about any bitching  from him when we moved him to Dundee which shows his professionalism.

He doesn't have the legs anymore and he did have a few howlers during his last few games with us.

If he was on the bench as a last 20 mins sub or cover for an injury it wouldnt be the worst.

Unfortunately, I think even he knows hes not a 90 minutes a game, first team, first pick Hearts player even if he does come back.

If he comes back he does do with a clean slate. Same with all players they need our backing. 

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

If he comes back he does do with a clean slate. Same with all players they need our backing. 

This

Gordon, Berra & Naismith provide 3 leaders with bags of experience. 

Levein let standards slip to an unacceptable level. I think Neilson being much younger will really drive standards and expect the likes of Berra to be setting a good example to the kids. 

If not then we're going to achieve nothing in the next 3 years. 

Tokyo Drifter
1 hour ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

Yes, we should get him back pronto.

No we should be looking to bring the the youths through the ranks if we're in the championship

He could play apart,still better in the air than anyone else we got

kingantti1874

If we are in the championship then he will play, was a stand out for Dundee in that league.

no issue from me. 

The Old Tolbooth

If we stay in the top flight (which I think we will), then we should loan him to Partick Thistle, feck helping out Dundee again! 

Dundee fans said he massively improved their defence when he went there, so hopefully it'll weaken them significantly when we recall him, however if we are to go down, then he would do a job in that league for us. 

Important to have people who understand Hearts around the place, irrespective of league we're in. I think he's a stick on to captain in the championship and a squad player in the premiership. P

1 minute ago, EH11 said:

Important to have people who understand Hearts around the place, irrespective of league we're in. I think he's a stick on to captain in the championship and a squad player in the premiership. P

Ahead of Naismith?

The Berra that went to the press to air his dirty laundry? The Berra that investigated a handful of the players and suspended some player tickets to the player lounge because he got stick from someone’s guest after the home hibs defeat. The Berra that wouldn’t take any responsibility for his mistakes and often blamed the young boys for his own errors? Get him binned and as far away from the club as possible. Bridges burnt. 

A_A wehatethehibs

I expect Berra will probably be reinstated as club captain as he is one of our own (and close with neilson), think he should've been dropped but to empty him completely I think was short sighted and left a bad taste. Think that might've been part of Stendels downfall. Christophe needs told he is not guaranteed starts anymore maybe that will switch him on a bit performance wise when he is playing. Seemed steady enough for Dundee with a run of clean sheets. We will definitely need another defender or 2 in the squad, Souttar can't be relied on to stay fit unfortunately and Berra can't be relied on to perform consistently. But Halkett-Souttar-Berra all have contracts so I expect they will all feature.

It's midfield which I think will be Neilson's priority we are really very lightweight there unless he can work a miracle turn Damour into a player. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

I don't see why not? That loan spell at Dundee will have done Berra good. He's experienced and a man who knows the club very well. Give him a chance I say.

Under stands Hearts, one of us 🙈🙈🙈🙈 the absolute crap that gets spouted on here is a joke. I have heard current first team players slaughter Berra. First out the door after training. Not attending analysis sessions. Blaming everyone and anyone for his own mistakes. His behaviour towards Stendel was nothing short of a joke and if people think Stendel just one day decided “I don’t fancy Berra” have their heads in the sand. Loads of arguments with Naismith cause Naismith was on him for not acting like a captain. Arguments with the young boys who got sick of carrying the can for him. Move him on. 

Pasquale for King

He was awful under Levein too don’t forget, unless we’re playing 3 at the back or in the championship I can’t see him playing much. Doubt if he will leave of his own volition either.

1 hour ago, RudiIsGod said:

I felt he was very shoddily treated and would welcome him back. Only two seasons ago he was probably our best player

This

manaliveits105

Agreed and maybe his stint at Dundee where he was a standout apparently will have helped his recovery from injury - happy to go with Robbies decision though either way.

I have a feeling he wont be going back to Dundee .  Don’t know why, just a hunch 😃

Batistuta87

Will probably have a place in the squad in the Championship but wouldn't expect him to be anywhere near first choice. If he's happy with that I reckon he'll be backup to Souttar and Halkett, although it wouldn't be the end of the world if someone came in to bump Halkett into the backup role which would then maybe leave Berra with a decision to make. 

If we want someone to power header the ball back to the opposition every 2 minutes then Berra is our man.

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Berra is a god lad who has been an excellent servant for Hearts over his 2 stints.

I don't remember reading about any bitching  from him when we moved him to Dundee which shows his professionalism.

He doesn't have the legs anymore and he did have a few howlers during his last few games with us.

If he was on the bench as a last 20 mins sub or cover for an injury it wouldnt be the worst.

Unfortunately, I think even he knows hes not a 90 minutes a game, first team, first pick Hearts player even if he does come back.

We had eight and more players in that same category playing for us week in week out last season. I largely agree with what you are saying but if he was to turn out for us week in week out he would still not be the worst player we fielded .