Craig Gordon signs for Hearts (title updated)

Back to 2005

Jambo 4 Ever
4 minutes ago, jambo mark said:

Welcome home Craig.

Solid keeper. Great pro. Been part of a dressing room accustom to winning week in week out. And more importantly - better than what we’ve got.

No brainer. 

This

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Last Laff

• jack D and coke

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

Would be a good signing. Knowing our luck though he’ll probably break a finger in the second game and be out until Christmas but not actually come back Until March. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

So that's us signing Craig Gordon, Jason Cummings, Osman Sow, Alim Ozturk, Kevin Nisbet, Zeefuik, Shankland any body else i have missed i'm assuming our benefactors are coming up with the readies.

:munny:

Tommi Grondlund and Chris Hackett too. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Given the SFA are about to "throw the book at us" and the other clubs are wanting to expel us totally for "destroying the game", we're just going to become a sort of Harlem Globetrotters, playing glamour friendlies around the world until there are only eleven teams left in Scotland, when we'll be welcomed back. It's all good.

🤣👍

gashauskis9

I’m not sure.  If McDonald was available, he’d have been my preference, but one thing Gordon will do is sort the defence out and give us experience.  

45 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah I got a fright there hahahaha, she’s come on here to sort us out now 😆

😂😂 hahaha 

46 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

Use the name wisely as you will require to behave like a  😇

I’ll try my best 😄

ford donald
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

**** it. 

Welcome back Craig. 

If Takis is Sporting Director, I might actually ruin my boxers. 

Top class keeper,delighted.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

I’m not sure.  If McDonald was available, he’d have been my preference, but one thing Gordon will do is sort the defence out and give us experience.  

Just as bad as the two we have, Gordon is the man for me. 

wattie exploited
1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

Him on a broken leg is better than the shit at the club.  

hahahah funny as **** but true :rifle:

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Would be a good signing. Knowing our luck though he’ll probably break a finger in the second game and be out until Christmas but not actually come back Until March. 

That “luck” left at the end of May. 

1 hour ago, Barack said:

**** it. Don't care anymore. 

Announce his signing and let's move onto the next freak surprise of this season.

Haha its beyond bizarre 2020 is mental !!

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Haha its beyond bizarre 2020 is mental !!

£100k bid for Kamberi 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😂🤪

I'm excited about the prospect of him coming back. Souttar and Halkett are good centrehalves but with that utter trainwreck behind them its no wonder we struggled so much last season.

Beardedborderer
2 hours ago, underwaterwoodwelder said:

Can we push the boat out and bring back Rudi now please.🤪🤪🤪

Why don’t hearts move in this direction? Honestly, it’s not like he isn’t an established coach already... look http://www.skacelsports.com

imagine the scenes!! 😍

If we have Craig Gordon in goals, our defenders will play better for the simple reason that they know if they screw up, the keeper will save them. That makes mistakes less likely. Simple psychology.

In my 20 odd years supporting Hearts, Gordon is the best goalkeeper I’ve seen. Would be delighted if he signed.

Good to see Craig back, will surely be good for young Harry Stone's development as well.

merseyjambo

No thanks.

I’m on board with RN coming back but feel we can do better. CG might be better than we have but there will definitely be better and younger out there.

Have a feeling we are going to pay over the odds in wages to him

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

In my 20 odd years supporting Hearts, Gordon is the best goalkeeper I’ve seen. Would be delighted if he signed.

👍

6 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

After the horror keepers we have had if this is true I’m absolutely delighted our current goalkeepers are the worst I’ve ever seen at the club in my lifetime. Delighted if true 

Lone Striker

Woah, - steady  there folks.  He's not signed yet .... and this report of Hearts being "alerted" is in the Sun.

Sounds like a case of typical lazy journalism ..... Sellick contract refusal+Robbie back at Hearts = Craig signing for Hearts

:waiting:

Plus ..... who'd bet against Sellick just throwing in another £100k  if they really wanted him, just to spite us.

I'd be happy with him coming, but probably more so if we signed Jamie Mac. Probably best just to leave it to Robbie, actually 

p.s.  Good to see Ann posting on here .... hopefully she can do  live updates from the CoS next week.      :whistling:

chuck berrys hairline

His dad always said before he moved down south he would finish his career at hearts

loveofthegame
6 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Much as I like and respect Jamie Mac, he’s not fit to lace CG’s boots. 

13 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

He is better than what we currently have.   Perhaps we could do better, but a CG and JM pairing will be miles ahead of the current incumbents.   

8 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

He's 37.  He is extremely unlikely to get a better offer than ours if he does indeed get an offer from us.

If you have a contrary opinion, that's fine with me.

The st Mirren offer was ridiculous and far more than what Celtic were offering. The stumbling block to his return has now been removed or he would have been here in January. 

8 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Can someone posts what it says, don't want to give that rag a click.

He's unhappy with the new deal offered by the Vermin's sister club and is open to a move away. 

5 hours ago, OTT said:

I'm excited about the prospect of him coming back. Souttar and Halkett are good centrehalves but with that utter trainwreck behind them its no wonder we struggled so much last season.

Which one? Both Doyle and  Bobby are total bombscares, not seen the like since Craig Nelson.  

A_A wehatethehibs
31 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

2 legends, but big CG kept a clean sheet in his hammering of Hibs at Hampden so, enough said. 

David McCaig

Craig Gordon at his peak was probably the only occasion in my lifetime when you could say Hearts had a genuinely world class player in their line up.

The last minute derby save from Rob Jones, the triple save v Sparta Prague  and the save v Motherwell at the start of the Burley season immediately spring to mind.

He is the right man for Hearts at present and as others have said, he may well play a huge part in Harry Stone becoming the new Craig Gordon.

We've spent the last 3 years rolling the dice unsuccessfully.

I like this new strategy of no-brainers, which is exactly what Robbie and Craig are.

LeylandJambo

In the 50 years I've supported Hearts we've always had brilliant keepers with a couple of exceptions. Ray Dunlop and Brian Wilson. But keepers like Cruickshank, Smith, Niemi and Gordon. But since Mcloughlin left the dross that's been churned out is totally unacceptable. 

I for one would be delighted to see Gordon back if only to create some stability in the defence.

Seymour M Hersh
13 minutes ago, Marvin said:

He's unhappy with the new deal offered by the Vermin's parent club and is open to a move away. 

Ftfy.

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

:lol:

Now 37. Honest to god, do we have any sort of credible scouting network?

going by the last 4-5 seasons it’s obvious we do not (the odd fluke signing aside)

this would be a very good signing for a position that’s been brutally filled last 2 seasons anyway

5 minutes ago, LeylandJambo said:

In the 50 years I've supported Hearts we've always had brilliant keepers with a couple of exceptions. Ray Dunlop and Brian Wilson. But keepers like Cruickshank, Smith, Niemi and Gordon. But since Mcloughlin left the dross that's been churned out is totally unacceptable. 

I for one would be delighted to see Gordon back if only to create some stability in the defence.

I think it will definitely give our defence more confidence, something that it's badly needing.

LeylandJambo
4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I think it will definitely give our defence more confidence, something that it's badly needing.

👍👍

When I came back for the semi in 2006 I took my seat just before the teams took the field.  When I saw them, I looked at Pressley,  Webster and Gordon and knew, rather than thought or hoped, that Hibs had absolutely no chance.  The sparse attendance at the Hibs end told me that I was 100% correct.

One of those Jambo moments that you never forget.

A_A wehatethehibs
30 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

:lol:

Now 37. Honest to god, do we have any sort of credible scouting network?

We've got Harry Stone who was offered deals by Brighton and Celtic so, our scouting network is at least as good as theirs. 

It's not scouting networks that's the problem it's finances. It is pretty easy to scout players and see who the good players are. You and me can see who the good players are, just watch the football. It's having the budget to buy the top talent ahead of the 30 odd clubs above us in the financial pecking order in the UK and the 20 odd clubs who are competing with us.

To me it is pretty obvious that CG would come in with a view to coaching and passing the torch to Stone, if the kid is good enough mentally. Same as Neil Alexander and the Jack Hamilton plan, sadly with Jack it never worked out, but that's the trouble with trying to bring through young players. It is hard and most kids don't make it, that's why proper good young football players with the mental strength to cope in front of 20k + crowds are worth 10s of millions. 

But we'll try again, Craig Gordon in, quality keeper over his career, use that experience to try to help bring through the youngster Harry Stone.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We've got Harry Stone who was offered deals by Brighton and Celtic so, our scouting network is at least as good as theirs. 

It's not scouting networks that's the problem it's finances. It is pretty easy to scout players and see who the good players are. You and me can see who the good players are, just watch the football. It's having the budget to buy the top talent ahead of the 30 odd clubs above us in the financial pecking order in the UK and the 20 odd clubs who are competing with us.

To me it is pretty obvious that CG would come in with a view to coaching and passing the torch to Stone, if the kid is good enough mentally. Same as Neil Alexander and the Jack Hamilton plan, sadly with Jack it never worked out, but that's the trouble with trying to bring through young players. It is hard and most kids don't make it, that's why proper good young football players with the mental strength to cope in front of 20k + crowds are worth 10s of millions. 

But we'll try again, Craig Gordon in, quality keeper over his career, use that experience to try to help bring through the youngster Harry Stone.

I'm not sure it is all down to money. There are other things that can attract a young player like education to fall back on, education as to media training and money management for if he does make it; a solid setup with clear advancement process; loan management ie not just pumped out to do a wee club a favour, a good environment (ie no bullying or sex abuse)...

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I'm not sure it is all down to money. There are other things that can attract a young player like education to fall back on, education as to media training and money management for if he does make it; a solid setup with clear advancement process; loan management ie not just pumped out to do a wee club a favour, a good environment (ie no bullying or sex abuse)...

Yes but the boy I replied to was saying, signing Craig Gordon means our scout network is shite. That's just... wrong. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yes but the boy I replied to was saying, signing Craig Gordon means our scout network is shite. That's just... wrong. 

Perhaps - Youth scouting is different from First Team scouting. I think our youth scouting must be pretty decent, but we've had more misses than hits in the last 5-6 years when it comes to the First Team - but I think it also comes down to the way players are used. Sean Clare is a very interesting case. Levein hyped him, threw him in early, stuck by him as he struggled, sent him to a psychologist and none of it was working. Stendel came in and put him to RB so he was not being asked to dictate games and he flourished, found his confidence, became our best player just as Levein had promised, and looked ready to play in midfield again...

TBH Clare was like the opposite of Rudi's career - Rudi flourished at Hearts because we played him in midfield, whereas managers at other clubs somehow saw him as a LB...

Edited by Spellczech

Take him all day long and Robbie will know a decent keeper is a priority with what we have on the books. The keeper situation effectively relegated us and cost Stendel his position IMO, Robbie won't make that mistake. Gordon is still a fantastic keeper who won't let Hearts down. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Take him all day long and Robbie will know a decent keeper is a priority with what we have on the books. The keeper situation effectively relegated us and cost Stendel his position IMO, Robbie won't make that mistake. Gordon is still a fantastic keeper who won't let Hearts down. 

Pereira was a disaster tbf. I still wonder if Stendel was obligated to play him due to clauses in his contract. No explanation for sticking with a keeper so bad

Just now, Sooperstar said:

Didn't think anyone rated Tepi Moilanen that highly.

Niemi rated him, and actually recommended him.  

weegiejambo8

I don’t normally post here, and not normally in the know! However I am told by a reliable friend that when CG turned down St Mirren offer, he told Jim Goodwin that he would be returning to Hearts no matter what league we were in. Done Deal 👍🏻

22 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Pereira was a disaster tbf. I still wonder if Stendel was obligated to play him due to clauses in his contract. No explanation for sticking with a keeper so bad

I just think he stuck with him too long. I was never Zlamal's biggest fan but at least he had a save in him, JP had no attributes at all.