Basketball

jamborich

8 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I'm going to hold onto hope, but Kansas has to be a heavy favorite on Monday night. Carolina will have to be nearly flawless to beat them.

Think it'll be tight game, on too late for me though to catch it live 😴 , enjoy 🏀

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, escobri said:

Think it'll be tight game, on too late for me though to catch it live 😴 , enjoy 🏀

But on your earlier point, yes, both semifinals were fun to watch. Somehow the Duke-Carolina game actually lived up to the hype, which I didn't think was possible given how big the hype was.

I hope you're right about it being a tight game. I'm emotionally preparing myself for UNC to be down 25 at halftime.

51 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

But on your earlier point, yes, both semifinals were fun to watch. Somehow the Duke-Carolina game actually lived up to the hype, which I didn't think was possible given how big the hype was.

I hope you're right about it being a tight game. I'm emotionally preparing myself for UNC to be down 25 at halftime.

If Agbaji drains the early 3's again you might be 🤣

Rodger Mellie
51 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Not a huge basketball fan but will be watching tonight. The point guard for UNC is my brother-in-law’s cousin, so c’mon the Tar Heels. 

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, escobri said:

If Agbaji drains the early 3's again you might be 🤣

One thing I'm reasonably sure of is that Carolina won't get beat by just one player going off. If that starts to happen, Davis will switch Black over to guarding him and it'll be lights out, and someone else will have to step up.

It's been a long time since I've seen a college-level defender that able to just completely take his man out of the offense, no matter the situation.

Watt-Zeefuik

Tremendous game tonight. Obviously I'm disappointed but an absolutely heroic performance by UNC. Kansas fully deserved that title.

Still, what if Bacot doesn't roll his ankle again in that last minute . . . ah, that way lies madness.

14 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Tremendous game tonight. Obviously I'm disappointed but an absolutely heroic performance by UNC. Kansas fully deserved that title.

Still, what if Bacot doesn't roll his ankle again in that last minute . . . ah, that way lies madness.

That was great, I managed to avoid the score all day somehow, could've went either way and felt for the big guy at the end. Kansas just too strong overall. Its not for everyone especially on a football forum but march madness is one of my sporting highlights of the year. Now to Augusta.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 21/11/2022 at 07:26, escobri said:

BT sport continues to cover college basketball 🏀 🙌👏, I'll be a rooting for theJayhakws again, #rockchalk

I knew UNC was overrated going into the season, but I wasn't ready for a four game losing streak before the new year.

Still plenty of time to put it back together but Love and Davis have to start hitting 3s.

• 2 months later...
On 04/04/2022 at 04:33, Led Tasso said:

There's a play clock—after the ball is set, the offense has a certain amount of time to snap the ball and start the play. A timeout gives them more time to talk. Commercial breaks happen after every touchdown and after every change in possession though. So a timeout is useful in the middle of a drive.

Just noticed I hadn't thanked you for the explanation so consider this my expression of gratitude. :) 

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Boof said:

Just noticed I hadn't thanked you for the explanation so consider this my expression of gratitude. :) 

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
Watt-Zeefuik

The most entertaining basketball tournament in the world is now underway. Furman has already upset Virginia, which looked like one of the best teams in the country for the first part of the year. Absolute choke in the last few seconds.

UNC is, of course, the first team to start the season ranked #1 in the country and go on to miss the big dance. :sob:

Carl Fredrickson

I used to love playing basketball at high school in the 80s and also played for Dalkeith Colts (the junior team of the Dalkeith Saints)

MIM were the team to beat in those days as they were funded by David Murray (or more likely RBS). 

There was a season in the 1980s when BBC didnt have a TV deal to show football and they should U.S. basketball instead. Tremendous viewing. 

Would love to go to see a live game again - are there any local teams or a national league? 

Luckies1874
5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

The most entertaining basketball tournament in the world is now underway. Furman has already upset Virginia, which looked like one of the best teams in the country for the first part of the year. Absolute choke in the last few seconds.

UNC is, of course, the first team to start the season ranked #1 in the country and go on to miss the big dance. :sob:

You see this?

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

You see this?

I hadn't seen that, cheers. I'd say "this can only be a good thing" but the tragic thing is that between three different NBA ownership groups that Charlotte has had for any length of time, Jordan has been the least terrible one.

By comparison the first owner of the Panthers was a serial sexual harasser of his female employees but kept the product on the field in good shape. The current owner is just an ******* and chased off his best coaches and GMs in a fit of pique.

It's entirely possible that the Hurricanes will win another Stanley Cup, meaning that North Carolina's only two major professional sports championships are in . . . .  ice hockey?!?

Luckies1874
3 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I hadn't seen that, cheers. I'd say "this can only be a good thing" but the tragic thing is that between three different NBA ownership groups that Charlotte has had for any length of time, Jordan has been the least terrible one.

By comparison the first owner of the Panthers was a serial sexual harasser of his female employees but kept the product on the field in good shape. The current owner is just an ******* and chased off his best coaches and GMs in a fit of pique.

It's entirely possible that the Hurricanes will win another Stanley Cup, meaning that North Carolina's only two major professional sports championships are in . . . .  ice hockey?!?

Hurricanes are a machine but the East is absolutely stacked so the play offs are going to be crazy. Can't wait for that to start as Viaplay have every game every night.

rossaldinho
10 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

3 hours into the tournament and nearly 90% of brackets done :rofl:

Down to 0.003% of brackets still left active apparently after last night.🤣

Captain Slog

If ESPN say kansas State Wildcats are playing Montana State Bobcats at 01.40 tomorrow, what time is that in Edinburgh - five hour difference?

Edit - Meh, its UK time sorry, its 7.10 in NC

Edited by Captain Slog

Luckies1874
2 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

If ESPN say kansas State Wildcats are playing Montana State Bobcats at 01.40 tomorrow, what time is that in Edinburgh - five hour difference?

Edit - Meh, its UK time sorry, its 7.10 in NC

Only a 4 hour time difference currently as their clocks changed last weekend. So its a 9.40pm tip off in Greensboro, NC.

Luckies1874

Wow Purdue emptied by 16 seed Fairleigh Dickinson!!! Only 2nd 16 seed ever to beat a No1. Held them scoreless for nearly 6 minutes in the 2nd half. So much for my prediction Purdue would beat Duke :vrface: 

Never disappoints this championship. 

On 17/03/2023 at 08:16, rossaldinho said:

Down to 0.003% of brackets still left active apparently after last night.🤣

All done now 

20230318_121447.jpg

Luckies1874

And down go another big gun. Duke emptied completing an utterly miserable sporting day for @Led Tasso :vrface:

Edited by Luckies1874

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

And down go another big gun. Duke emptied completing an utterly miserable sporting day for @Led Tasso :vrface:

I don’t take offense, because it’s not obvious, but this is like telling a Hearts fan that they must be devastated that Hibs lost a cup game. my in-laws are quite upset as they are all Duke fans, but as a diehard UNC fan this is really nothing to be sad about. As mentioned above, season was already disaster by the time the tournament started.

However, in the time since then, Kansas is now out as well.

Luckies1874
6 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I don’t take offense, because it’s not obvious, but this is like telling a Hearts fan that they must be devastated that Hibs lost a cup game. my in-laws are quite upset as they are all Duke fans, but as a diehard UNC fan this is really nothing to be sad about. As mentioned above, season was already disaster by the time the tournament started.

However, in the time since then, Kansas is now out as well.

My bad, thought it was the other way round!  It certainly is not disappointing again this year. Kansas losing too is wild. 

• 10 months later...

With March madness not far away, i noticed NCAA coverage has moved to skysports, can't see them showing as much as virgin/espn did. Looks like the Firestick will come in very handy this year. Rock chalk.

• 1 month later...