Basketball

jamborich

On a basketball forum a poster from Evansville, Indiana will be asking that exact same question about "soccer".

It's part of small town culture in the US where high school teams get bigger supports than some of our league 1 clubs... 

Edited by BudgeUp

Likewise , I never "got it" - super-rich Americans playing a kids school play ground game.

But I went to a game in the States a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. 

All North American sports are poor spectacles in my opinion.

That said,

Ice hockey > American football > basketball > baseball.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I don't get the game, one team scores and then the other teams scores until it finishes 98/99.

I found out how popular it was in the states though when all the Amercans on board a bus in Denver piled out to get autographs and photos when someone spotted the Charlotte Hornets team bus outside a hotel.

Each to their own I suppose.

Just finished watching the Jordan documentary ‘the last dance’ and have a new appreciation of the physicality required to be a top level NBA player, Jordan came across as a prick of a team mate, but in a good Roy Keane super competitive type prick

Salaries for COLLEGE basketball coaches.. Small snapshot couldn't fit names in aswell.. 

These are COLLEGE teams, not pros... 

American college sport is unbelievably rich.. 

Screenshot_20200622_003523_com.android.chrome.jpg

I didn't totally get it at first. Went to a Chicago Bulls game and was a bit bored towards the end. I thought at the time that the "entertainment" got it through. 

I had another two weeks traveling in the States though and spent 5 or so days with friends and I watched and enjoyed a LOT of college basketball on TV as it was on constantly due to some championships being on. I reckon I could get quite into it if I lived there. That and ice hockey.

hmfc_liam06

Used to be a massive NBA fan in the 90's but fell away from it. Reckon I'll pick it back up again after watching The Last Dance.

invernessjt
9 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

That said,

Went to ice hockey in Madison Square Garden a few years ago and found it dragged on for far too long. Shite/no atmosphere either. Not for me.

2 hours ago, invernessjt said:

Went to ice hockey in Madison Square Garden a few years ago and found it dragged on for far too long. Shite/no atmosphere either. Not for me.

I've never been to ice hockey so maybe I've got a false impression from TV. American football certainly drags on if you watch it live, but is better if you just watch the highlights. I went to a baseball game in America and it dragged too, but even the 'interesting' bits were pretty dull. Not recommended.

4 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I didn't totally get it at first. Went to a Chicago Bulls game and was a bit bored towards the end. I thought at the time that the "entertainment" got it through. 

I had another two weeks traveling in the States though and spent 5 or so days with friends and I watched and enjoyed a LOT of college basketball on TV as it was on constantly due to some championships being on. I reckon I could get quite into it if I lived there. That and ice hockey.

That same entertainment is what puts me off it a little when watching it on TV. If it was more condensed timewise, I reckon it would be a lot easier to watch.

I follow NBA a little, and when able to, I love being able to watch a game. But watching something 2 hours long at 1am is not something I can really afford to do all too often. Would love to go to a game if I went to USA. 

30 minutes ago, Locky said:

That same entertainment is what puts me off it a little when watching it on TV. If it was more condensed timewise, I reckon it would be a lot easier to watch.

I follow NBA a little, and when able to, I love being able to watch a game. But watching something 2 hours long at 1am is not something I can really afford to do all too often. Would love to go to a game if I went to USA. 

It was an eye opener really. It's very much family orientated and when you're there there's plenty to get involved in. Mascots racing on screens and stuff. We just do sport here and forget that it's also meant to be entertaining.

17 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

It was an eye opener really. It's very much family orientated and when you're there there's plenty to get involved in. Mascots racing on screens and stuff. We just do sport here and forget that it's also meant to be entertaining.

That's why I love going to the football in Germany. Every Schalke home game has a bit of a cup final feel about it. It's tradition to arrive early to the grounds, around the stadium there's all kinds of stalls and things for the bairns. Then inside on the big screen, the stadium announcer does his thing but interviews people pre-match and stuff too which helps to pass the time in the ground. Of course being able to drink at the games means there's more reason to be in the ground so early and perhaps we'd do the same. But in this country it doesn't always feel like a 'day out', often just a case of turn up, sit down, watch the game and go home.

All roads lead to Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Locky said:

That's why I love going to the football in Germany. Every Schalke home game has a bit of a cup final feel about it. It's tradition to arrive early to the grounds, around the stadium there's all kinds of stalls and things for the bairns. Then inside on the big screen, the stadium announcer does his thing but interviews people pre-match and stuff too which helps to pass the time in the ground. Of course being able to drink at the games means there's more reason to be in the ground so early and perhaps we'd do the same. But in this country it doesn't always feel like a 'day out', often just a case of turn up, sit down, watch the game and go home.

I did go to a few Claymores games at Murrayfield and the pre-match stuff in the backfields was often more entertaining that the actual game, it was helped greatly by having Scott Wilson on the mike though plus a few beers. :biggrin:

50 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I went to an Aussie Rules game at the Gabba when I was in Brisbane a few years ago and it was the same thing. Admittedly a huge stadium but the choice of food and drink on the concourses and outside was brilliant. You could walk around before the game, grab a beer and a burger, and sit and watch a band playing. Loads of stuff for families to do and easily ignored if it isn’t your thing. 

Too much scoring for my liking. How can 103 - 101 be exciting every week?

However, I appreciate the skill that it takes to play. Not quite up there on the shite scale with motor 'sport', horse racing and golf but not a huge fan.

• 1 year later...
Watt-Zeefuik

Pardon the indulgence, but the equivalent of the 2006 semifinal in college basketball is happening this weekend. The biggest rivalry in the sport, UNC (my team) are playing the spouse's team (Duke) in the semi-finals of the national title this weekend.

Not only that, Duke's sniveling, whining, ref-baiting coach (who also happens to have the most wins of any coach in history) is retiring at the end of the season. UNC's most recent Hall of Fame coach just retired last season, and first year coach Hubert Davis has made an unexpected run to the semi-finals.

Basketball TV ratings are always a bit hard to work out but this may end up being the most watched college basketball game ever.

No matter what happens I won't be able to talk to my in-laws for a week.

On 21/06/2020 at 23:21, Beni said:

That said,

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9522b7effdc0c6818294

6 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Pardon the indulgence, but the equivalent of the 2006 semifinal in college basketball is happening this weekend. The biggest rivalry in the sport, UNC (my team) are playing the spouse's team (Duke) in the semi-finals of the national title this weekend.

Not only that, Duke's sniveling, whining, ref-baiting coach (who also happens to have the most wins of any coach in history) is retiring at the end of the season. UNC's most recent Hall of Fame coach just retired last season, and first year coach Hubert Davis has made an unexpected run to the semi-finals.

Basketball TV ratings are always a bit hard to work out but this may end up being the most watched college basketball game ever.

No matter what happens I won't be able to talk to my in-laws for a week.

Watched a documentary about Duke basketball called 'I hate Christian Laettner' recently, was quite a good watch (i must admit i do like the 30 for 30 documentary films about US sports).

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, allyjambo said:

Watched a documentary about Duke basketball called 'I hate Christian Laettner' recently, was quite a good watch (i must admit i do like the 30 for 30 documentary films about US sports).

Yeah, widespread anti-Duke sentiment is real, particularly for Laettner. But as UNC fans, we were anti-Duke long before being anti-Duke was cool . . .

Every American sport would be massively enhanced if they stopped all the daft breaks they take.

I like basketball, but I just cannot watch it on ESPN or BT.  It's already divided into quarters to add extra advert breaks, but the timeouts and constant stoppages are another chance to quickly get "a message from our sponsors" in.  Watching the game live is absolutely tedious, and an hour's worth of actual play will set you back closer to 3 hours to actually get through it. 

Football is bad enough with throw ins taking ages, and silly free kicks, but it's 45 minutes of play, a 15 minute break, and 45 minutes of play.  I know that if I put the football on the TV, it will start at the time it says it will, and roughly an hour later, the second half will start, and the whole thing will take roughly 2 hours.  The day they start adding in corner kick adverts and stopping the clock for sponsored water breaks, I'll be done with it.

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 21/06/2020 at 16:01, jamborich said:

Struggling to find why they are worth so much, the game is boring what is the attraction 

2-0

4-0

4-2

6-2

6-4

6-6

6-8

6-10

8-10

and on and on and on and on it goes.

I’ll flick to the Celtics during the play offs with a couple of minutes left and watch if they’re up by or within 4 points.

Bores me to tears.

Great athletes without a doubt but just can’t get into it. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
9 hours ago, tian447 said:

Every American sport would be massively enhanced if they stopped all the daft breaks they take.

I like basketball, but I just cannot watch it on ESPN or BT.  It's already divided into quarters to add extra advert breaks, but the timeouts and constant stoppages are another chance to quickly get "a message from our sponsors" in.  Watching the game live is absolutely tedious, and an hour's worth of actual play will set you back closer to 3 hours to actually get through it. 

Football is bad enough with throw ins taking ages, and silly free kicks, but it's 45 minutes of play, a 15 minute break, and 45 minutes of play.  I know that if I put the football on the TV, it will start at the time it says it will, and roughly an hour later, the second half will start, and the whole thing will take roughly 2 hours.  The day they start adding in corner kick adverts and stopping the clock for sponsored water breaks, I'll be done with it.

You’ll love baseball then. I’ve been at a 6 hour rain delay game. Don’t even ask.

Watt-Zeefuik
10 hours ago, tian447 said:

Absolutely. American football is the absolute worst for this. If it's a televised game and you're watching it in person, all of those advertising slots are filled with the players standing around on the field. The games can easily take 4 hours, of which you might actually see about 30 minutes of action on the field. Granted, when there's action it's pretty intense, but it can get deadly boring after a while.

Baseball in person is a bit better because there's just a slow rhythm to the game, and you go to a baseball game to sit with your friends and have a beer and a hotdog and enjoy the show. But you do have to budget a huge amount of time for it.

Basketball is pretty reliably done in about 2 hours unless there's overtime. Americans are allergic to ties for some reason. We should absolutely emulate football in that regard and not have extra time (overtime) during the regular season. It never used to strike me as odd but now that I've gotten used to watching football it's absurd. But as for the timeouts, they're just part of the flow of the game. Basketball is absolutely exhausting to play at a high level so the timeout breaks give the players some relief.

It's funny because to the American eye, having sponsors all over the shirts looks overly commercialized, but yes it's a much better viewing experience than sitting through commercial breaks.

Watt-Zeefuik
53 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

2-0

4-0

4-2

6-2

6-4

6-6

6-8

6-10

8-10

and on and on and on and on it goes.

I’ll flick to the Celtics during the play offs with a couple of minutes left and watch if they’re up by or within 4 points.

Bores me to tears.

Great athletes without a doubt but just can’t get into it. 

As with most sports, it's always better both in person and if you've actually played the game. Football is terribly boring to the novice eye because it just looks like players running around on a pitch kicking the ball about. Once you learn what midfield duels, clever touches, and defence-splitting passes look like, it gets a lot better. Same with basketball. Once you get what's going on, every trip down the floor in a close game between good teams is riveting.

I'll never say anyone needs to learn to appreciate a sport they don't like. I'm never going to put in the time to understand what's happening in a rugby match or how anyone can stand to stay with cricket matches that last days, but I'm sure if I did they'd be fascinating. Or for that matter, golf on TV. Absolutely beyond me.

I just finished an excellent book by Grisham called Sooley, its all about a basketball player and is excellent even if you only know a little about it.

Weakened Offender
On 21/06/2020 at 23:22, jonesy said:

I prefer ice hockey over football these days. 

I, for one, am not surprised. 

Konrad von Carstein
26 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I, for one, am not surprised. 

I am he's a Canuks fan :lol:

#blackhawks

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

On 01/04/2022 at 03:01, Led Tasso said:

Absolutely. American football is the absolute worst for this. If it's a televised game and you're watching it in person, all of those advertising slots are filled with the players standing around on the field. The games can easily take 4 hours, of which you might actually see about 30 minutes of action on the field. Granted, when there's action it's pretty intense, but it can get deadly boring after a while.

Couldn't the players take it as a de facto uncharged time out? Or aren't they allowed to talk to each other?

On 01/04/2022 at 03:01, Led Tasso said:

Baseball in person is a bit better because there's just a slow rhythm to the game, and you go to a baseball game to sit with your friends and have a beer and a hotdog and enjoy the show. But you do have to budget a huge amount of time for it.

Televised baseball is helped enormously by knowledgeable, unpartisan commentators.

Seymour M Hersh
On 21/06/2020 at 23:25, Steak said:

Baseball is the worst sport in the world

In your opinion maybe. Millions of others world wide will disagree. 

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

In your opinion maybe. Millions of others world wide will disagree. 

And they'd be wrong. So very boring

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Steak said:

And they'd be wrong. So very boring

How can they be wrong? Idiotic thing to say. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

How can they be wrong? Idiotic thing to say. 

I noticed your above post is about basketball, mines was about baseball... Not sure if that changes things?

They're wrong cause baseballs diarrhoea

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Boof said:

Couldn't the players take it as a de facto uncharged time out? Or aren't they allowed to talk to each other?

Televised baseball is helped enormously by knowledgeable, unpartisan commentators.

They’re allowed to talk to each other, but they get a huddle after every play to do that.

6 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

They’re allowed to talk to each other, but they get a huddle after every play to do that.

What's so great about a time out then? Never really understood that.

ArcticJambo

For me anyway, basketball>ice hockey>baseball>football ... that's for tv viewing.

I'd also put football in last place for live at the stadium, it's just far too difficult to see what's going on most of the time, the gameplay in the other sports are fairly obvious.

Seymour M Hersh
58 minutes ago, Steak said:

I noticed your above post is about basketball, mines was about baseball... Not sure if that changes things?

They're wrong cause baseballs diarrhoea

I guess if you cannot understand the game then it may appear a poor game but as I said millions of people world wide love the game. I get the feeling you hate a lot of sports due to not understanding them. Oh and the the thread is about basketball but I thought I'd just respond to your utter nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I guess if you cannot understand the game then it may appear a poor game but as I said millions of people world wide love the game. I get the feeling you hate a lot of sports due to not understanding them. Oh and the the thread is about basketball but I thought I'd just respond to your utter nonsense. 

Don't understand baseball? Jeeso that's a challenge in itself. Hit the ball and run... Rarely see a hit in 9 innings though. Dull

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, Boof said:

What's so great about a time out then? Never really understood that.

There's a play clock—after the ball is set, the offense has a certain amount of time to snap the ball and start the play. A timeout gives them more time to talk. Commercial breaks happen after every touchdown and after every change in possession though. So a timeout is useful in the middle of a drive.

5 hours ago, Steak said:

Don't understand baseball? Jeeso that's a challenge in itself. Hit the ball and run... Rarely see a hit in 9 innings though. Dull

Look, you don't have to like any sport you don't like, but you plainly don't have even the basics. Rarely see a hit in 9 innings? You know a no-hitter is a big news story any time it happens? Much like a football game can be gripping despite only a few goals per match, there's small stuff that happens all the time that makes baseball interesting, starting with the duel between pitcher and batter.

Like what you like, don't watch what you don't like, but don't talk shite.

Watt-Zeefuik
10 hours ago, escobri said:

2 good games last night, the final is hopefully a cracker. #rockchalk

I'm going to hold onto hope, but Kansas has to be a heavy favorite on Monday night. Carolina will have to be nearly flawless to beat them.