Tequila

Cairneyhill Jambo

Cairneyhill Jambo

The last time I had tequila was about 25 years ago. Standard stuff with fresh orange. 

So following on from the whisky threads, I was in a shop the other day and noticed that you can now get so many different tequilas, some claiming to be premium, especially blue agave. 

Looking for advice and any recommendations. Are there any that are really smooth to drink straight, like a good malt or decent rum/vodka?

Or are they all just gut rot? 

Cheers

Always thought whoever invented tequila must be the greatest salesman ever.

Its rough, smells like puke, you mostly have to take it with salt n lime to make it go down. Yet still managed to convince folk it was a good idea...

That said cafe xo patron is one of my favourite drinks. Love coffee as a flavour

Its rough, smells like puke, you mostly have to take it with salt n lime to make it go down. Yet still managed to convince folk it was a good idea...

That said cafe xo patron is one of my favourite drinks. Love coffee as a flavour

I'd recommend Ocho. One of the few old school tequila makers around. Each batch is produced from agave from a specific plant and farm that is traced on each bottle with the year made. It means that, technically, you could argue like wines that each year will produce a different vintage plus, with the identifiable farms, even two bottles from the same year might be different as they're from different farms which will mean different growing conditions which means different tastes. 

If I can remember the reps bullshit properly, you could in theory have a tasting session using just the same brand of tequila. 

Doctor FinnBarr
15 hours ago, Alan_R said:

I had never drunk tequila in my life until I went to Mexico a few years back. Thought I'd give it a bash (when in Rome), barman brought me it along with salt and lime and I asked how it should be drunk he replied "ignore the salt, bite or suck the lime after each sip you take, that how we drink it". It was sound at the time but I've never thought about buying a bottle here.

Used to love it, me and my pal would do quite a few down the pub then we'd both somehow get back to mine (normally a 5 minute walk from the pub) and fall into bed. Then I'd be up 5 hours later for work, feeling rather under the weather :laugh: She'd be still in bed when I got home having worked through my hangover.  

The only tequila I will ever touch is this stuff:

71ePbMDFkUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Cazcabel Honey Tequila: £23 quid for a bottle on Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cazcabel-Honey-Tequila-70-cl/dp/B00JWJJTCU)

It is absolutely superb stuff, you can only taste the honey, and it's got a lovely syrupy texture.  Polished off a whole bottle one night :lol: 

Well worth a try!

Edited by tian447