Anstruther Fish Bar

JWL

3 minutes ago, JWL said:

Is it open? Is it as good as everyone says it is?

Was good in the 90s /2000s. Haven't been for a long time, but I don't see why it wouldn't be as good. 

hmfc_liam06

Don't know if it's open but was excellent when I was there last year.

Doubt I'd drive specifically there for it but sometimes pass on the way back from golf etc so nip in.

Stuart Lyon

Haven't been for about 3/4 years and it isn't as good. The batter on the fish was a bit mushy on the inside. I think the problem is its popularity and they are trying to satisfy a lot of people in a short time. Queue was out the door on our last visit.

Don't know if it is open.

Montgomery Brewster

The locals go to the wee chippie further along the sea front. 

it’s just as nice !

Their facebook page says they're opening in early July.  However good it is, I doubt it's worth travelling that far, unless you really like a fish supper.

42 minutes ago, weegranty said:

Bang average,better going to The Fishmarket at New Haven.

I went to The Fishmarket a couple of weeks back for the first time. It was very good. Expensive though at 10 quid for a fish supper. Just make sure you order through their website before you go as you cannot order in person.

Carl Fredrickson

Visit at least once a year. If the queue isnt crazy we join it. If not, the chippy about 6 doors along is pretty decent too. 

Not a huge fish fan but both of these chip shops (and the one at Port Seton) do a lovely fish. 

10 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I went to The Fishmarket a couple of weeks back for the first time. It was very good. Expensive though at 10 quid for a fish supper. Just make sure you order through their website before you go as you cannot order in person.

That is expensive for a fish supper take away

I got one last night from local chippy and was £6.80

Samuel Camazzola

It's decent (per my last visit last year). There's another fish bar about a minute away from it which is just as good (and without a queue). 

The Fish Hoose in Thornton is pretty good. I believe its owned by the same folk  who have one in St Andrews (Cromar's). 

3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Visit at least once a year. If the queue isnt crazy we join it. If not, the chippy about 6 doors along is pretty decent too. 

Not a huge fish fan but both of these chip shops (and the one at Port Seton) do a lovely fish. 

Benes. Have a plaice in Woodburn, Dalkeith now as well.

Anstruther chippy? Better one in Pittenweem.

luckyBatistuta
21 minutes ago, graygo said:

For a fish supper up that way, it’s Franco’s in Dalkeith for me

Carl Fredrickson
45 minutes ago, graygo said:

That is handy to know. A lot closer to me if not as scenic!

Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

That is handy to know. A lot closer to me if not as scenic!

Away, you can't beat the view from the Salters!

Carl Fredrickson
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Away, you can't beat the view from the Salters!

Oh aye, some proper sights!

8 hours ago, JWL said:

Is it open? Is it as good as everyone says it is?

The wee chippie at the other end of the street is better (up a wee alley).

The big chippies awright but nowhere near the fuss and queue etc. Just a name, really. Used to be better I think. Def don't eat in unless you want to eat in the 80s.

The chippy in Pittenweem is cracking. It's decent qual but also just like someone's front room, a lady of about 90 and the boy taking the fish oot the fryer wi his bare hands!

1 hour ago, The Natural Order said:

You have to go to Larbert for the best chippy.

As well bypassing and going on to Benny T's  at lauriston?

5 hours ago, graygo said:

3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

The big chippies awright but nowhere near the fuss and queue etc. Just a name, really. Used to be better I think. Def don't eat in unless you want to eat in the 80s.

The chippy in Pittenweem is cracking. It's decent qual but also just like someone's front room, a lady of about 90 and the boy taking the fish oot the fryer wi his bare hands!

2 guys that ken their chippys.

:verysmug:

Georgecowie
29 minutes ago, graygo said:

Make that three. Good old fashioned glass bottles of irn bru available as well. 

4 hours ago, graygo said:

4 hours ago, Georgecowie said:

Make that three. Good old fashioned glass bottles of irn bru available as well. 

Ha! Let's go into business!

10 hours ago, The Natural Order said:

You have to go to Larbert for the best chippy.

Next to the station?,

Never had the fish but the haggis,black pudding and steak pie have always been good.

Chips as well.

Great chips at the Fountain park chippy....  Will be getting a fish supper later. That and a cold bottled beer at the Fountain quay decking (hope the weather's good)

The Natural Order
53 minutes ago, benny said:

Next to the station?,

Never had the fish but the haggis,black pudding and steak pie have always been good.

Chips as well.

Aye, just up and round the corner a bit from the Station Hotel. Fish is first class an they even do Edinburgh style broon chippy sauce. It changed hands just over a year ago but the quality remained. Always stop there when I'm on the Mild Trail.

larbertjambo
4 hours ago, The Natural Order said:

Aye, just up and round the corner a bit from the Station Hotel. Fish is first class an they even do Edinburgh style broon chippy sauce. It changed hands just over a year ago but the quality remained. Always stop there when I'm on the Mild Trail.

Good chip shop but cello,s up in the Kinnaird estate is pretty decent too. 👍

15 hours ago, TheBigO said:

It would be worth going just to see that. 😄

On 18/06/2020 at 14:00, Montgomery Brewster said:

The locals go to the wee chippie further along the sea front. 

it’s just as nice !

👍

Its a long, long time since I had a takeaway from the Anstruther, but had one from the Wee Chippie last year and it was great.

Got a couple of mates who go there every year for a few days and swapped from the Anstruther to the Wee Chippie a while ago and won't be back to the Anstruther. 

Montgomery Brewster
2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

👍

Its a long, long time since I had a takeaway from the Anstruther, but had one from the Wee Chippie last year and it was great.

Got a couple of mates who go there every year for a few days and swapped from the Anstruther to the Wee Chippie a while ago and won't be back to the Anstruther. 

👍🏻

Harry Potter

My uncle has a holiday home in cellardyke next to Anstruther and i always have a chippie there, lovely

fish.

Had a chippie from the bar b que last night, lovely.

Edited by Harry Potter

A pal has a holiday home in Crail so we get mates rates and go once a year for a long weekend for a week break....the Anstruther one is OK...nothing wrong but overhyped as above

Go to the Crail fish bar though, trust me.....much nicer

Not cheap these days though...we were £30+ for 4 x suppers and some mushy peas...... but its good....

maroondevo52

My mum went with her care home chums a few months ago, she couldn't remember if it was any good.