Has anyone here actually had the virus?

Boston Jambo

Boston Jambo

Has anyone here actually had the virus, and if so how bad was it?

My wife tested positive about seven weeks ago, luckily she experienced fairly mild symptoms.

She did two weeks isolation and was right as rain.

Only heard of one suspected case.   Boy at my golf club reckons he had it with all the headline symptoms.    Reckons it was similar to a vicious flu.    **** that.

I've not been tested but suspect I had it at the end of March into April, a wee bit of a cough but a raging temperature and muscle ache like a bad flu. My wife picked up on something while watching something about the virus on TV, for weeks after the symptoms cleared up I had a persistent cough, she recons it was covid lung, one of the complaints from having covid.

I'll not know untill I'm tested, if ever, if I've had it.

A few parents from my sons rugby club had covid symptoms around the same time.

I had symptoms back in March but don't know for sure. Might've been something else going around, who knows without a test.

Not had any symptoms myself but I know people that have had it and a few that have died.

One friend of a friend was in the peak of physical fitness, in her early 30s, had no underlying health issues and ran ultra-marathons as part of a sports club.

She was in and out of hospital for 3 months with covid-19 and complications and now has permanent damage to her heart and kidneys.

She only just about has the energy to get from her bed to her sofa each day.

Docs say no exercise of any kind for at least 6 months.

Not sure she'll ever run a marathon again.

My old man's ex-boss and his wife both died of it.

One of my elderly neighbours in my stair died of it. Had a fall at home and broke her hip, survived the surgery fine, caught covid-19 on the ward, died two weeks later.

Couple of Pals reckon they had it. Bedridden for a a few days but both bounced back fairly quick there after. Nobody I know has had a confirmed Covid test. 

No, but know someone who did. He's in his early 40's, very fit and no underlying health issues. He was in hospital for a couple of day, but not on a ventilator. Said it was the worst he'd ever felt when ill and much worse than having the flu. 

Two friends. One, in her 20s, has died. She already suffered from scarred lungs and other health issues prior to contracting Covid. She was one of the first cases in the UK as she just happened to be in Italy at the time it ramped up there. As others have pointed out, it was an accordion effect, she'd think she was getting better and then feel sick again, in and out of hospital, until she never returned the final time.

Another had underlying neurological and autoimmune issues and so he's been absolutely knocked on his ass for ten weeks as well. It is likely nothing will be the same for him, health-wise, either. Early 40s in his case. An especially strange result: He now has full blown GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease), and can no longer eat anything more acidic than bread and potatoes without feeling like he's going to shit out his entire insides. Basically, catching the virus accelerated his underlying autoimmune problem to the end stage in a matter of weeks, something that normally takes decades in a person's life.

The things this virus does to people are mind-boggling.

Jambo-Jimbo

Guy across the street from me had it, he was on a ventilator for 3 days, he came through it, still says he's as weak as feck and this has to be at least 6 weeks since he got out of hospital, It'll take him a long time to recover fully.  Another guy in the next street also had it, spent 3 weeks in hospital, he beat it as well.

That's the only two folks which I know have had it.

My brother had it. Was screwed for about three weeks, then has had a very slow recovery for the last 10 or so weeks. Only really feeling human again after about 8 weeks, apparently.

Nasty stuff, don't believe all the shite out there about it being like a cold or flu.

Touch wood, we live in an  over 55 gated community. The residents here have been very disciplined, masks, social distancing, I have not heard of any cases here. My wife and I only go out for necessities and when we do we wear masks, and observe all the arrows and  prescribed distances. In this particular municipal area as was prevalent in others the worst cases seem to be in elderly oriented care homes.  The whole area has been very disciplined and safe, but the relaxing of rules is causing some concerns.

davemclaren

An older guy in our street died from it, several friends lost elderly parents in care homes from it and my mate, his mrs and daughter all had it. My mate took it really bad and was referred to hospital for a scan but not kept in. 8 weeks later he has not fully recovered and is still getting his lungs scanned every few weeks. He says that for a few days at the peak he felt so bad he didn’t think he would survive. 

I lost my sense of taste and smell for weeks on end. I have occasional issues with my sinuses so I put it down to that until it came to light that it could be one of the symptoms. Never had a cough, a temp or felt ill though so who knows. Never bothered with a test either.

queensferryjambo
4 hours ago, Boston Jambo said:

Has anyone here actually had the virus, and if so how bad was it?

My wife tested positive about seven weeks ago, luckily she experienced fairly mild symptoms.

She did two weeks isolation and was right as rain.

I have been very lucky not getting it (to my knowledge). 

In the first weeks of the outbreak a manager at my work who had been on holiday in France got hospitalised when he came home and was on a ventilator for close to 4 weeks. He has been out of hospital for weeks but still very weak and needs to recover fully. It sounds like he went through hell by all accounts and was lucky to live.

I also know three friends who have now lost parents and another who's Mum's partner has now died. 

My experience so far seems to be very different to a lot of other people I know. Some of my friends haven't even known or heard of anyone they know to have had it.

Riddley Walker

I had it and tested positive, was a key worker (although now changed jobs) so got tested. 

I had fatigue and flu-like symptoms for about a week then I lost my sense of smell and taste fully for 2 weeks.  Was so strange eating. Felt like a mild flu apart from the fatigue, which was horrendous. Would be sitting upright then realise I'd fallen asleep for a few minutes sitting up as I was so tired. 

Was only ill for a week then felt fine apart from the taste and smell loss. 

I think I had it in March the week before lockdown. Had a consciousness of breathing for about a week together with a light cough following a climb in the Pentlands where I had to stop 6 times climbing a hill I'd climbed no problem 4 days earlier.  My wife works at ERI and has never had any symptoms so has never been tested and it was before family of Key Workers could be tested. Anyway the tests for both the virus and antibodies are not very good... 

Edited by Spellczech

I actually got swabbed just before recent major surgery. The result was negative thankfully. Didn't like the nurse sticking a cotton bud up my nose however.

6 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Couple of Pals reckon they had it. Bedridden for a a few days but both bounced back fairly quick there after. Nobody I know has had a confirmed Covid test. 

That was similar to me in February.  Chills, persistent running nose, cough, didn't eat for 2.5 days, the runs, headache and a fever after a few days.  The cough was that bad I was coughing up blood and couldn't sleep for the first few nights.  Gradually improved after about 4 days.

No way of knowing if it was the virus as we didn't have the knowledge of Covid back then.

Greedy Jambo

Nah, I've not had it and i don't know anyone that has. 

I've got Asthma and I've been in and out the shops quite regularly to. 

Weakened Offender

I know of (through my wife's work) about half a dozen who tested positive, one being a family of 4. One guy had recently had a heart attack. They are all fine although one did get admitted to hospital. 

Only person I know was my partners father who was in a care home. Died with it a few weeks ago when it was at its peak. 

Not had it. One friend of mine suspected he had it but wasn’t tested and another tested negative for the antibodies after she thought she had had it. 

Not anybody directly, however a mate's brother and his wife both had it, and another friend's mum died of it.

Can't believe how many people are treating this like it's no longer a threat.

Not heard of a single person having it down here in Reston. Nothing what so ever its believed the R rate down here is as close to zero as you can get. It has been that way for weeks and weeks. Wondering weither at least we can get the kids back to school especially in this aera. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I had suspected covid from around mid March and my breathing for about three weeks was the worst I have experienced in my life. My throat and lungs were rough for weeks after and I am only starting to feel everything is recovering now hopefully

I didn't get tested but a doctor said it was highly likely I had it, if true ,it was bad, believe me.

Boston Jambo

My wife got tested on the Monday, she got the bad news on Tuesday around noontime. Within half an hour City Hall called and basically told her that they were aware of the situation, and then laid down the law. She was placed in lock down immediately and told she would be breaking the law if she left the house. I was allowed to leave for absolute essential trips only, provided I wore a mask and gloves. We made up the spare room for her and that's where she spent the next two weeks. I basically fetched and carried everything, meals, drinks, and medications for the whole time.

I never went for a test, I figured it would show soon enough if I'd caught it, but I behaved as if I had it. No trips out any farther than the backyard, the neighbors helped get essentials. I can't imagine how tough it would be if there was kids involved.

After having seen the effects first hand I can't believe how lax people are being. I took the train into Boston on Tuesday for a medical appointment and of five people in the carriage only one was wearing a mask. The hospital was a different story though, a checkpoint where they issued you a new mask, temp readings, hand sanitizer before they would let you in the building.

These medical professionals know what they are doing, stay cautious.

It's a paradox situation.

People think the lockdown is overblown because they don't know anybody that has had it.

But then this is only the case because we've been in lockdown.

If we hadn't performed a nationwide lockdown then everybody would know someone who had it, then they'd be calling for a lockdown.

58 minutes ago, Cade said:

People think the lockdown is overblown because they don't know anybody that has had it.

If we hadn't performed a nationwide lockdown then everybody would know someone who had it, then they'd be calling for a lockdown.

Yes. The exact same logic as "look at the billions we wasted on Y2K and for absolutely nothing!" 🥴

Suspect I had it very mildly in the first couple of weeks of lockdown, persistent cough (but being a smoker that's not really a true indicator) and had about 2 weeks where breathlessness would hit for a day or two then be ok for a day then hit gain.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Probably over 80% of us would have had it in that scenario.

Out of interest, under 5-7's don't really have that many ACE receptors in their airways so are far less at risk (but not 100%!) - what I would find interesting if they got challenged by the virus in anyway and have in turn developed some sort of immune response