Sporting Director

steve123

SomethingAboutObua
21 minutes ago, OTT said:

We'll need a new John Murray too as he's retiring right? 

Where's this been said? Or just rumours?  Fantastic news if true

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, SomethingAboutObua said:

Where's this been said? Or just rumours?  Fantastic news if true

I could be wrong but that seems to have been a recurring theme on here. Was supposed to have retired in the last couple of years but stayed on IIRC ? 

Someone else will be able to confirm if this is true I think?

1 hour ago, OTT said:

We'll need a new John Murray too as he's retiring right?  Or will that role be getting absorbed into the Sporting Director role?

Again, Donald Park seems the perfect fit to me. A lifetime of experience in the game, will mean if we do need a new head scout/recruitment he'll have contacts a plenty to getting one. If we sign someone else who is more likely to move on, then I'd say when they leave their staff are likely to join them. Meaning we'd be recruiting multiple positions. Would cause absolute chaos. 

Just as long as it isn’t John Colquhoun and not because he’s Levein best pal but because of the many duff signings that have cost Hearts a fortune in wages, insurance & expenses. 

A scout must look for quality rather than journey men as well as being able to look for kids & youths that are capable of improving so they can reach the top.

Guest ToqueJambo

Before we rush to fire absolutely everyone involved in recruitment under Levein it might be worth reading this in the Guardian about Klopp. Many of the same people who were a disaster recruitment wise pre-Klopp have been the same people who have done a great job since Klopp arrived. So it might not be the people, it might be how things are set-up and how the first team manager works with them.

"His willingness to defer to the sporting director, Michael Edwards, on transfers, however, lies at the heart of Liverpool’s renaissance. The club’s “transfer committee” was synonymous with waste and drift before Klopp’s arrival. It still exists, with many of its members overseeing recruitment at Anfield, only now it delivers thanks to the manager’s receptiveness towards others and without the unofficial title that once dogged it."

The bit in bold sounds familiar to us.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/26/trust-patience-and-hard-work-how-jurgen-klopp-transformed-liverpool?CMP=share_btn_tw

Hearts need to look to clubs that have excellent scouting records and employ scouts that are better than them. 
We need to employ the best.

Hungry hippo
2 hours ago, OTT said:

I could be wrong but that seems to have been a recurring theme on here. Was supposed to have retired in the last couple of years but stayed on IIRC ? 

Someone else will be able to confirm if this is true I think?

I'm never off JKB and I don't remember seeing that.

Just now, Hungry hippo said:

I'm never off JKB and I don't remember seeing that.

CTRL F 'Retire', you'll find it

CBA finding others, but you can search up and find a few John Murray threads doing similar will probably unearth a couple more. 

4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

I wonder if you realise how ironic that post is :lol:

Haha, yes it was a bit of a mixed message reading it back 😂

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Haven't looked at this thread since last weekend when David Weir was supposed to be a done deal. Is there anything beyond that in the last week?

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Haven't looked at this thread since last weekend when David Weir was supposed to be a done deal. Is there anything beyond that in the last week?

nothing really, just confirmation that Weir and ex-FA and Middlesborough director of Football Adrian Bevington are in for it (no mention of any others) and interviews were this week. Banderson says he excepts an announcement next week.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
26 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

nothing really, just confirmation that Weir and ex-FA and Middlesborough director of Football Adrian Bevington are in for it (no mention of any others) and interviews were this week. Banderson says he excepts an announcement next week.

🤘 Thank you!

Just now, Rick Sanchez said:

JJ has told Ann to give him a call.

I really hope its to throw his own hat into the ring, rather than throwing support behind Weir :( 

5 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Hearts need to look to clubs that have excellent scouting records and employ scouts that are better than them. 
We need to employ the best.

RB Salzburg for example!!!

Ibrahim Tall
3 minutes ago, Jeff said:

RB Salzburg for example!!!

Salzburg have links to satellite clubs in various others countries along with their resources, they’re also owned by a multi billion pound  conglomerate.. their example might be a tad optimistic. 😜

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Salzburg have links to satellite clubs in various others countries along with their resources, they’re also owned by a multi billion pound  conglomerate.. their example might be a tad optimistic. 😜

Thats true, but I am sure there other clubs with a comparable budget to ours who have shown their ability with recruitment we can look to learn lessons. FC Midtjylland are a Danish club who are worth looking at.

2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Thanks. I'd be a bit worried for JJ taking the role, health and all that.

Wouldn't object to him getting the sporting director, would assume he'd discuss it with his family and doctor. Experience is one of the things that are an absolute necessity for the role IMO 

13 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Thats true, but I am sure there other clubs with a comparable budget to ours who have shown their ability with recruitment we can look to learn lessons. FC Midtjylland are a Danish club who are worth looking at.

Motherwell seem to have done fairly well too. This season especially, although I suspect its fair to say part of that is down to the bigger clubs (like us) failing to compete effectively. 

Ostersunds are an interesting one to look at. The club Potter (Brighton/Swansea) managed. Seemed pretty left field but did incredibly well with them. They aren't a club with big financial clout so had to recruit sensibly and it seemed to may off with them. Likewise, Strømsgodset under Deilia, not a big club by any means but again managed to do pretty well. Would be interesting to look at their transfer policy and how they decided to recruit. To do as well as they did it can't have been a scatter gun approach and luck, there must have been more to it. 

I think a lot needs to be invested into scouting and making sure we're constantly reviewing and measuring our success in the transfer market. We should be ideally making money every season. Youngsters being sold on or talented acquired players being sold down south again. Motherwell seem to have done this pretty well in terms of Moult, Heneghan, Kipre plus a good few others being sold on in the last 3 years. They've also started to sell kids on too, obviously we're hard pressed to name many players we've sold on at a premium (Sow...?) which is incredibly disappointing considering the backing our football department have had since 2013. 

jamboinglasgow
58 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

JJ has told Ann to give him a call.

He is not talking about being Sporting director, he is talking about if Ann wants any advice she can give him a call.

47 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

He is not talking about being Sporting director, he is talking about if Ann wants any advice she can give him a call.

Fully appreciate the article is open to interpretation but I would disagree with this

I read it as he doesn’t apply for jobs full stop but if AB contacted him or approached him re the role, he would be open to it 

He also says that DW would be a good candidate or fit for the job 

I have a hunch that AB doesn’t rate JJ as much as a lot of us do 

I mean as long as JJ would be ok health wise, would like to see him given a shot at it.

Think it would be a good appointment overall but DW may be better as a long term appt 

6 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

There was a slight hint of optimism and maybe a bit of sarcasm.

It's fine we can just go with Shakthar

Leveins Battalion

In terms of scouting I think we are unanimous that we have been abysmal for years in recruitment.

For me there are markets both in the UK and abroad that we have been miles behind other clubs on.

Firstly the signing of players from leagues below.John McGinn and Shankland.Both players who could have been Hearts players yet we go and spend a significant amount on Wighton.This is a market that historically we were superb in.

Secondly players from the EPL who are approaching the 23 year old mark and released,so many players swollowed up by these huge clubs that their scraps could be shrewed signings for a club like us.

Then we have players from the lower leagues in England,teams like Motherwell constantly find quality down there yet our delve into this market produced Cole Stockton.Granted we have signed Uche and Lee recently but we have to be out there scouting all the time pro active.

We also have to enhance our European  network.Instead of going for expensive guys like Tzolis,Oshaniwa and Martin etc we have to scout younger,hungry guys.Guys like Peter Haring,unknown but on an upward trajectory in his footbal life.We should NOT be a last payday or 6 month holiday in a beautiful city.

It is incredibly frustrating that our football department was allowed to carry on for so long with such deficiencies. 

Robbie will bring in his own Scouts probably, Gary Kirk will be away as for John Murray I believe he is going/gone at last.

TyphoonJambo
31 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Robbie will bring in his own Scouts probably, Gary Kirk will be away as for John Murray I believe he is going/gone at last.

I for one, wouldn't be happy to lose Kirk. 

John mcCartney

We need to end this fecking John Murray saga ASAFECKINGP.

An utter albatross around the HMFC neck.

I love JJ to bits and would welcome him back to the club, however time moves on and would prefer someone with more current connections as sporting director. 

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, lou said:

Why? I actually thought he had gone with Levien

Hugely popular, done well with the kids and gets Hearts. Even Stendell seen the potential. 

3 minutes ago, lou said:

Why? I actually thought he had gone with Levien

was given a year extension to his contract a few weeks ago IIRC

13 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

was given a year extension to his contract a few weeks ago IIRC

That was Andy Kirk.

mellors1874
19 hours ago, OTT said:

We'll need a new John Murray too as he's retiring right?  Or will that role be getting absorbed into the Sporting Director role?

Again, Donald Park seems the perfect fit to me. A lifetime of experience in the game, will mean if we do need a new head scout/recruitment he'll have contacts a plenty to getting one. If we sign someone else who is more likely to move on, then I'd say when they leave their staff are likely to join them. Meaning we'd be recruiting multiple positions. Would cause absolute chaos. 

don't need a new john Murray as he is rank rotten we need a new someone else lol

27 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Hugely popular, done well with the kids and gets Hearts. Even Stendell seen the potential.

Are you talking about Andy Kirk??? The post was about Gary Kirk

1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

:facepalm:

TyphoonJambo
3 hours ago, lou said:

Are you talking about Andy Kirk??? The post was about Gary Kirk

Sorry, my bad, meant Andy🙄

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

The SD will handle that side of things.

17 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

In my defence, no idea who gary kirk is. 

Was brought to the club by JJ (I think) and is the son of an ex Hearts stalwart Bobby Kirk.

TyphoonJambo
41 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Was brought to the club by JJ (I think) and is the son of an ex Hearts stalwart Bobby Kirk.

Shit, that makes him a second cousin of mine. Never met him, family politics, but Bobby was my mums uncle and ive always been proud of the fact i had a family member who played for Hearts, however distant 

Get of his backs you *******s 😁😁😁

Neil Dongcaster

Wouldn’t mind us inviting Falkirk’s Gary Deans in for an interview for a position at the club. Speaks a lot of sense.

Just now, Neil Dongcaster said:

Wouldn’t mind us inviting Falkirk’s Gary Deans in for an interview for a position at the club. Speaks a lot of sense.

Definitely. Would be a good CEO. 

Paisley Jambo
23 hours ago, OTT said:

I fully agree.

David Weir may have other ambitions.

Hopefully will already have a good relationship with Robbie.

4 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Looks like Lockies brother was incorrect. Bev seems to have won the race. 

Source/link?

I did notice he was tweeting about Scottish football attendances earlier today.

Edited by DC_92

Jamboscanbevicius
17 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Interesting if true. Certainly not a jobs for the boys appointment. I think Weir would be good but maybe it’s better to have someone with less of a personal connection involved at the club. And Bevington certainly has a strong CV. 

jamboinglasgow
29 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I am a bit uneasy with him if appointed. His time at Middlesbrough was poor and I completely agree with another poster earlier he knows how to say the right things but maybe do them, as he comes from a PR background.