Sporting Director

steve123

On 24/06/2020 at 18:56, 1953 said:

Reporting Scotland just now, Dempster said going to Hearts was nonsense.

She must be coming then. 😍

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Not my cup of tea, but his politics are irrelevant.

They are if it alienates part of the support.

Chuck Berry
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure it will as I doubt it would even be mentioned.  Do you know the politics of any of the other candidates, or manager, or players, or coaches?

47 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Less like Levein. Working out how to get the better of Hibs will also be important to win over those not exactly enamoured by his return. 

Defo. I guess that's part of not worrying about the other team.

To me, everything last time was too considered which doesn't work in a Derby. Go oot, win your battles, keep the heid, and show you're better.  That's essentially what we've always done.

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Collins wants to work in an environment that doesn't exist.

He isn't adaptable enough. Or just doesn't fancy the hard work. 

Not sure that is true. I think when he was at Hibs it was him trying to implement his philosophy of how players should look after their bodies by eating properly, training properly and living a clean likestyle in general.

He had experience from a long career and looked after himself and was trying to get that culture into his players but it was they who were the ones who didn't fancy the hard work not him.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Not sure that is true. I think when he was at Hibs it was him trying to implement his philosophy of how players should look after their bodies by eating properly, training properly and living a clean likestyle in general.

He had experience from a long career and looked after himself and was trying to get that culture into his players but it was they who were the ones who didn't fancy the hard work not him.

Yes

But my point is he seems to have given up. My way or the highway.

That isn't working hard. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Not sure it will as I doubt it would even be mentioned.  Do you know the politics of any of the other candidates, or manager, or players, or coaches?

If they are out in the open it can lead to problems. Takis ran for New Democracy last year, Weir was given a leaving present from Ibrox with No surrender/UJ/GTSQ on it apparently. So yes i do. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Defo. I guess that's part of not worrying about the other team.

To me, everything last time was too considered which doesn't work in a Derby. Go oot, win your battles, keep the heid, and show you're better.  That's essentially what we've always done.

He should really know that too. I always worried about him up against Riordan, maybe that’s where that bit of apprehension from him comes.

Chuck Berry
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If they are out in the open it can lead to problems. Takis ran for New Democracy last year, Weir was given a leaving present from Ibrox with No surrender/UJ/GTSQ on it apparently. So yes i do. 

Well I'm pro-Independence and it is completely irrelevant to their ability to be SD. Completely irrelvant and indeed, discrimatory if it is even a consideration, which of course it won't be.

Edited by Chuck Berry

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I said it on another thread, he may be a Hibs ******* but if Dundee are struggling we could do worse than poach Gordon Strachan.

He may be a lot of things but any time he speaks about the game, he's usually bang on.

Dear oh dear. Little ginger twat has lost it big time.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Donald Park is perhaps not a  fancy name but he would be strong on the local element. 

Weir stronger on wider spectrum,  contact etc

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes

But my point is he seems to have given up. My way or the highway.

That isn't working hard. 

Given up on what exactly?

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It’s a bad reflection in our football players that they don’t want to listen, Stendel had problems with this too. You also have to be able to get your point across in a fashion that folk will buy into, that goes for any boss really.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Well I'm pro-Independence and it is completely irrelevant to their ability to be SD. Completely irrelvant and indeed, discrimatory if it is even a consideration, which of course it won't be.

It’s not though if they can’t get everyone’s support due to their political beliefs, you’re starting off on the wrong foot.
Dempster or Strachan would be the same wouldn’t they for a different reason. Fans will have pre conceived ideas about who ever gets the job.

Rick Sanchez
3 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Dear oh dear. Little ginger twat has lost it big time.

I think he'd do a great job bringing our academy upto scratch tbh. He's no time for only promoting if your big enough.

Chuck Berry
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s not though if they can’t get everyone’s support due to their political beliefs, you’re starting off on the wrong foot.
Dempster or Strachan would be the same wouldn’t they for a different reason. Fans will have pre conceived ideas about who ever gets the job.

I doubt very much anyone cares that much to be honest, most of us can leave political beliefs at the door.

14 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Donald Park is perhaps not a  fancy name but he would be strong on the local element. 

Weir stronger on wider spectrum,  contact etc

Hopefully DP is involved at the club in some capacity. He's a good man to have. Possibly a good chief scout. 

21 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He should really know that too. I always worried about him up against Riordan, maybe that’s where that bit of apprehension from him comes.

Maybe.

I think he's just one of those guys who leaves no stone unturned and sometimes that can lead to over thinking/over instructing. I like tactics and I like modern analytics etc, but you can't overlook football being as simple as just being better than your opponents. I'm hoping he's learned to strip it back a bit.

Minor gripes here. He had average ppg of 1.7 something in the Prem for us. If we get back to 65+ point seasons , I won't be worrying too much!

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Maybe.

I think he's just one of those guys who leaves no stone unturned and sometimes that can lead to over thinking/over instructing. I like tactics and I like modern analytics etc, but you can't overlook football being as simple as just being better than your opponents. I'm hoping he's learned to strip it back a bit.

Minor gripes here. He had average ppg of 1.7 something in the Prem for us. If we get back to 65+ point seasons , I won't be worrying too much!

Definitely.

18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If any supporters are that partisan in their politics, then they need to chill out a bit and learn to respect others opinions.

Unless extremists or Trumpian loudmouths, most people (excluding 'activists') are highly unlikely to give a toss about appointees politics.

Hungry hippo
14 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Hopefully DP is involved at the club in some capacity. He's a good man to have. Possibly a good chief scout. 

Totally agree although I'm not sure this would suit or interest him.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, stan said:

If any supporters are that partisan in their politics, then they need to chill out a bit and learn to respect others opinions.

Unless extremists or Trumpian loudmouths, most people (excluding 'activists') are highly unlikely to give a toss about appointees politics.

Respect those that don’t respect others, not happening I’m afraid. He won’t get it anyway.

The Old Tolbooth

Phil Stamp was asked what he thought of Bevington, and let's just say that he was not very complimentary about his role at Boro, if it was me I'd love to see Davie Weir getting the gig, he's got that arrogant swagger about him that we need, and he won't suffer fools gladly he also knows a thing or two about football with plenty English contacts now too. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, stan said:

I wonder if you realise how ironic that post is :lol:

3 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Is that just a guess or have you heard something?

Just a wee bit of left field observation

2 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

I thought that part of the role of a  Sporting Director in conjunction with the Scouting Staff was to deliver for the Head Coach/Manager a selection of players with the specific qualities he needs for a position or role or system

That may be right but I hope the scouting team are not walking about with their eyes closed.

2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I said it on another thread, he may be a Hibs ******* but if Dundee are struggling we could do worse than poach Gordon Strachan.

He may be a lot of things but any time he speaks about the game, he's usually bang on.

The problem is, he is an arsehole who mistakes being an arsehole, for being funny.  

23 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Phil Stamp was asked what he thought of Bevington, and let's just say that he was not very complimentary about his role at Boro, if it was me I'd love to see Davie Weir getting the gig, he's got that arrogant swagger about him that we need, and he won't suffer fools gladly he also knows a thing or two about football with plenty English contacts now too. 

My concern with Weir is he could use Heart's as a stepping stone to further his career, we are in need of stability long term.   

The Natural Order
1 minute ago, bawheed said:

My concern with Weir is he could use Heart's as a stepping stone to further his career, we are in need of stability long term.   

Yip, would be back at Ibrox asap.

2 minutes ago, bawheed said:

So we only employ people with zero ambition?

People will always come and go. Long term stability in Scottish football is more than 3 years. Think he would give us at least that.

Rick Sanchez
6 minutes ago, Paolo said:

The problem is, he is an arsehole who mistakes being an arsehole, for being funny.  

Can't argue with that mate. I would like to think he's different away from the cameras :laugh:

The Old Tolbooth
8 minutes ago, bawheed said:

I couldn't disagree with that more, if he gets head hunted from Hearts, then he's done a very good job for us, I'd rather that than sign a loser, I've had enough of a loser in that seat. 

In that case we should never appoint anyone ever for any position as they will have political beliefs that some supporters don't agree with. Bizarre point of view.

17 minutes ago, bawheed said:

Weir's career has involved sticking at jobs. 

24 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Straight out of the Kenny Dalglish mould another one who thinks he's a comedian.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

No they are not. Their politics have nothing to do with how they perform their job. If you cannot separate them. Then you have the problem not them.

29 minutes ago, bawheed said:

So what? If he's done a good job here then we'll both have gained something. 

On the other hand, if he gets the job he might actually like being SD at Hearts and not want to move on. 🤷

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

No they are not. Their politics have nothing to do with how they perform their job. If you cannot separate them. Then you have the problem not them.

People’s politics influence everything they do I’m afraid. 

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

In that case we should never appoint anyone ever for any position as they will have political beliefs that some supporters don't agree with. Bizarre point of view.

As I said and you clearly missed it if people have been in the political sphere it would alienate some of the support, you just have to look at the abuse Mcaskill and Blackford get for being SNP Hibees. 

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

I thought that part of the role of a  Sporting Director in conjunction with the Scouting Staff was to deliver for the Head Coach/Manager a selection of players with the specific qualities he needs for a position or role or system

Thats how I read the role. Or at least sets up a recruitment team who scout both in person and using databases who create shortlists of potential signings. As you say the manager will request certain kinds of players they require, the recruitment team provide it and the manager picks the signing. The Sporting director will then and go and sign that player.

To me (an I dont think there is an argument about this) our recruitment has killed us since the Championship season. It is the vital thing to correct, then mix it with a manager and coaches who can develop players (again before Stendel, I dont think I could name a single player under Levein who improved under him.) If we get that right then we will do well.

jamboinglasgow
53 minutes ago, TWF said:

Just a wee bit of left field observation

Fair enough, I do agree. I doubt we have only interviewed two candidates, I can imagine we have interview at least another person.

We'll need a new John Murray too as he's retiring right?  Or will that role be getting absorbed into the Sporting Director role?

Again, Donald Park seems the perfect fit to me. A lifetime of experience in the game, will mean if we do need a new head scout/recruitment he'll have contacts a plenty to getting one. If we sign someone else who is more likely to move on, then I'd say when they leave their staff are likely to join them. Meaning we'd be recruiting multiple positions. Would cause absolute chaos. 

John Findlay
19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You dont have talk some bollocks. 

They may do you. Not everyone thinks the same way you do, thank feck.

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Absolute garbage.

If you believe that then all civil servants who voted Labour will have issues implementing the Government's wishes.  They will do as they are told because that is what they are paid for and what the country voted for.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, OTT said:

We'll need a new John Murray too as he's retiring right?  Or will that role be getting absorbed into the Sporting Director role?

Again, Donald Park seems the perfect fit to me. A lifetime of experience in the game, will mean if we do need a new head scout/recruitment he'll have contacts a plenty to getting one. If we sign someone else who is more likely to move on, then I'd say when they leave their staff are likely to join them. Meaning we'd be recruiting multiple positions. Would cause absolute chaos. 

Absolutely