Sporting Director

steve123

Heartsofgold
16 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

His philosophy is linked with Robbies. He will have decent contacts and his focus is on youth development. He was confrontational as he wanted to be professional, if no one wants to buy into that then I don’t want them at the club anyway. 

Actually good points.  I'm afraid my green blinders are on with him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

I honestly think John Collins would be a good sporting director 

That would probably end Michael Stewart.

jamboinglasgow
19 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

His philosophy is linked with Robbies. He will have decent contacts and his focus is on youth development. He was confrontational as he wanted to be professional, if no one wants to buy into that then I don’t want them at the club anyway. 

He is an intersting one, he was director of football at Livingston a few years back but that was only a year. I think he has great ideas, even if not sporting director would like his to help with getting things better.

Montgomery Brewster
20 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Actually good points.  I'm afraid my green blinders are on with him.

A vermin welt. Your not alone 

2 hours ago, Hood09 said:

In his eyes .. we are a pub team !!

Hectormasson
1 hour ago, 1953 said:

Reporting Scotland just now, Dempster said going to Hearts was nonsense.

F......g right it was !!!!!

Phil D. Corners
2 hours ago, Hood09 said:

Kevin Thompson just retweeted the Sportsound tweet for today’s show and called Collins out for being a lair. 

Horatio Caine
3 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

He is an intersting one, he was director of football at Livingston a few years back but that was only a year. I think he has great ideas, even if not sporting director would like his to help with getting things better.

I nearly fell over when I heard him being supportive (very much so) of our case on Sportsound.  

There is now a whole 2003 onwards generation of retired Hibs players who hate Hearts with a bitterness that is usually reserved for their junky puddle-drinking support.

This pleases me greatly.

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2020/06/24/hibs-ceo-leeann-dempster-reacts-to-suggestion-she-could-leave-for-hearts/

Hibs CEO Leeann Dempster reacts to suggestion she could leave for Hearts

By Alan Temple -

June 24, 2020

HIBERNIAN chief executive Leeann Dempster insists she is ‘baffled’ by suggestions she could be tempted to cross the Edinburgh divide and take up the same role at Hearts.

A shock report on Tuesday claimed she was on Ann Budge’s radar for the post at Tynecastle.

There have also been rumours swirling online that her relationship with new owner Ron Gordon may have become strained during a fractious period for the club, and Scottish football as a whole.

Edinburgh: Dempster has no desire to cross the capital divide to join Hearts

However, Dempster has rubbished the innuendo and is adamant she remains committed to the Hibees.

“I am sure they [Hearts] are as bemused as I am about where that came from,” said Dempster. “The internet can often run away with itself and there is nothing in that from them – I’m sure – or from me.

“It was just one of those daft stories. That is the void we are in at the moment and people fill the void.

“As far as I’m concerned – and I can hopefully speak for Ron [Gordon] as well – we are fine. There is no distance between us and we are moving in the same direction. We are working so closely together that we speak a couple of times a day.”

Dempster, meanwhile, has confirmed Hibs are ‘talking to their people’ with a view to implementing pay cuts in addition to the salary deferrals which were agreed in April.

“I need to respect the process and we want to do this collectively, as a club, and come through this together,” she continued.

“Everybody understands we all have a role to play – whether staff, coaches, players. The only way we will get through the challenges we are facing is if we do that together.”

The brutal financial realities of the Covid-19 crisis will also see redundancies implemented among their non-playing staff, with coaches Eddie May, Grant Murray, Lee Makel and Colin Nish included in those expected to leave the club.

“We have identified posts and actions we think might be pertinent and we are in consultation with the people who might be affected,” added Dempster. “But I can’t give a number.

Same direction: dempster is adamant she enjoys a positive relationship with owner Ron Gordon

“We only spoke to those post holders last week and the consultation with the larger staff will start the end of this week or maybe the beginning of next week.”

Despite the cost-cutting measure beings forced on the capital club, Dempster has refused to rule out reinforcements to Jack Ross’ first-team squad. It is understood Hibs are closing in on the capture of former St Johnstone winger Drey Wright, who left McDiarmid Park last month.

“We are a football club so we need to be able to compete,” said Dempster. “There is no suggestion of wholesale changes and we will do that as sensitively as we can but, at the end of the day, it helps everybody for the club to be stronger.

“If we didn’t bring in players we would be entering the new season with one hand tied behind our back.”

Dempster, meanwhile, is adamant she has no regrets about Hibs’ stance on calling the campaign and potential reconstruction, despite Scottish football now being gripped by an acrimonious court case between relegated Hearts and Partick Thistle and the SPFL.

“I don’t have regrets because I try not to live my life with 20-20 hindsight,” she said pointedly. “You have to deal with things and make the best judgements and deal with things at the time.

“I do hear a lot of people telling us how it should have been and could have been better. Well, every decision you make in life might have been better if you had the chance to relive it five or six times.”

On the prospect of the SPFL losing the case and potentially being liable for a £10m compensation payout, Dempster added: “It can only come from one place and that would be the central distribution pot and they are already tight so that would cause some concern.”

No threat: Dempster says there has been no talk of expelling Hearts from the SPFL in light of the Ann Budge, pictured, legal challenge

Nevertheless, she scoffed at the notion of Hearts and Thistle being kicked out of the league as ‘punishment’ for their actions.

“Those words have never even been uttered and it wouldn’t even be a discussion at this club,” she added. “That is so far removed from any reality I would recognise.”

1 hour ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Kevin Thompson just retweeted the Sportsound tweet for today’s show and called Collins out for being a lair. 

Was this a foxes lair?

14 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

His a very confrontational character so no, no way.

He was only confrontational when dealing with a bunch of smack heads and street gangsters masquerading as players at Hibs.

Rick Sanchez

What was Bevington's actual role with the FA? What actually qualifies him to be a good judge of player? 

Genuinely interested.

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

What was Bevington's actual role with the FA? What actually qualifies him to be a good judge of player? 

Genuinely interested.

He doesn't have to be a good judge of players.  That's the job of RN and the scouts.

Rick Sanchez
5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

He doesn't have to be a good judge of players.  That's the job of RN and the scouts.

It's just because he jumped from an FA executive to head of recruitment at Middlesbrough. I'm assuming the sporting director job gives him full reign over the academy etc? Was just wondering what his background is.

He sounds an interesting choice.

On 24/06/2020 at 18:15, jamboinglasgow said:

I get why people don't like Collins, but I do.  He's arrogant, but then lots of winners are.

He tried and failed, due to a lack of balls from his bossed, to change a mingin culture of neddish unprofessionalism at Hibs, which eventually led to their demotion.

I would not mind him at Hearts and I think he would definitely bring an air of professionalism and dedication to the setup and if some of his arrogance rubbed off, would that be the worst thing either?

We thought all of this was what we were getting from Levein, but as we've found out, what we got was delegation to half-arsed coaches, a culture where some didn't need to train as much as others, a lack of coherence, lack of ownership and way more words than action.  He basically set up a bureaucracy which people could hide within.

I think Collins (or Weir for that matter) would be quite straight forward in their dealings.  These are the expected standards, these are the targets, and I'll on top of you to meet them both.  They'd hopefully simplify the whole thing so everyone knows their exact role, including the players.

Just as with the "unexpected" in RN appointment, it could be there is an "unexpected" for SD who has not been mentioned in this thread!!!

jamboinglasgow
12 minutes ago, TWF said:

Just as with the "unexpected" in RN appointment, it could be there is an "unexpected" for SD who has not been mentioned in this thread!!!

Is that just a guess or have you heard something?

On 24/06/2020 at 17:50, Hood09 said:

Christ no. Think his antics caused 23 players at Hibs to go to Petrie to get him to ****. By all accounts horrendously unpopular at Celtic too. I think he's another type who talks a first class game, but his personality is impossible to work with. 

Did he not have some success with Livi alongside Hughes though? Maybe thats about his level, i/e working with young players who aren't likely to question him at a lower end club where the egos are probably non-existent. 

As far as Sporting Director goes, just going to state Donald Park again. Heaps of experience in Scotland, understands the league, knows all the coaches via his job at the SFA, track record bringing through kids.

We have invested 7 figures since Budge came in on the academy, so its clearly at the core of what we're wanting to do. We need to appoint a Sporting Director who shares that view and can fine tune what we're trying to do. I think Levein was too 'jobs for boys' with the coaches he hired. Obviously, Kirk was a success but Daly, Fox & MacPhee were not. We need someone who can cast the net a bit wider IMO.

If not Park, then someone older with a similar CV is crucial. Age is really important IMO because it not only brings experience, but I think most folk say, 60+ have had their journey round football and aren't likely to jump ship. We need commitment to a 5 year plan and I think someone a bit older is more likely to see it through. An alternative choice might be Mark Wotte. Likely on funny money coaching the Morrocan U23s though. I think I may have suggested him before though and been shot down for it (why though I can't remember).

Edited by OTT

17 minutes ago, TWF said:

Well that narrows it down a bit!!!

2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

It's just because he jumped from an FA executive to head of recruitment at Middlesbrough. I'm assuming the sporting director job gives him full reign over the academy etc? Was just wondering what his background is.

He sounds an interesting choice.

I’m sure his ‘working roots’ are in journalism, media and PR - can’t see him being suitable for Director of Football.

More suited to a Head of Media role.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

I get why people don't like Collins, but I do.  He's arrogant, but then lots of winners are.

He tried and failed, due to a lack of balls from his bossed, to change a mingin culture of neddish unprofessionalism at Hibs, which eventually led to their demotion.

I would not mind him at Hearts and I think he would definitely bring an air of professionalism and dedication to the setup and if some of his arrogance rubbed off, would that be the worst thing either?

We thought all of this was what we were getting from Levein, but as we've found out, what we got was delegation to half-arsed coaches, a culture where some didn't need to train as much as others, a lack of coherence, lack of ownership and way more words than action.  He basically set up a bureaucracy which people could hide within.

I think Collins (or Weir for that matter) would be quite straight forward in their dealings.  These are the expected standards, these are the targets, and I'll on top of you to meet them both.  They'd hopefully simplify the whole thing so everyone knows their exact role, including the players.

I don't disagree with your thoughts however I would add that it was Robbie who was the instigator of double training sessions and all sorts of checks on player fitness and diets etc when he was with us the last time.

2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Thanks for that mate!

It seems he's perfectly qualified :laugh: I'd be quite excited if he got the job.

Middlesbrough fans were delighted to see him go, based on the replies to this tweet.

Collins wants to work in an environment that doesn't exist.

He isn't adaptable enough. Or just doesn't fancy the hard work. 

Hector Riva
On 24/06/2020 at 12:25, ri Alban said:

Please don't be Davie Weir. 🙏

Why? Can't stand him. 

On 24/06/2020 at 12:37, CostaJambo said:

Me too.

On 24/06/2020 at 12:45, The Real Maroonblood said:

This.

A fud.

Phew ! I tought it was only me.

30 minutes ago, TWF said:

TWF knows somethingggggg :P :D 

Heard any names bud?

Rick Sanchez
14 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Middlesbrough fans were delighted to see him go, based on the replies to this tweet.

Maybe not then :laugh:

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I thought that part of the role of a  Sporting Director in conjunction with the Scouting Staff was to deliver for the Head Coach/Manager a selection of players with the specific qualities he needs for a position or role or system

24 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Bevington just looks like a muppet.

Rick Sanchez

I said it on another thread, he may be a Hibs ******* but if Dundee are struggling we could do worse than poach Gordon Strachan.

He may be a lot of things but any time he speaks about the game, he's usually bang on.

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Maybe not then :laugh:

This is a bit of a round up from the local press after he left.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/adrian-bevington-gone-pressing-need-17466834

Certainly talks a good game and says a lot that would make sense for us, but his recruitment has failed him at that job.

44 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I don't disagree with your thoughts however I would add that it was Robbie who was the instigator of double training sessions and all sorts of checks on player fitness and diets etc when he was with us the last time.

Is that right? Well, goodoh. With a focused, clearly defined sporting director setting the culture at the club and someone like Robbie, who is about hard work and being meticulous, you'd hope we'd have a good formula. The whole thing just needs weeded out and streamlined. The previous structure just seemed bloated and convolute.

I just hope Robbie has learnt to put more emphasis on us imposing our game, and less weight on what the opposition do. We should be trying to dictate the game in 90% of our matches. And trying even harder to do it in the other 10%!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Bevington, to look at his track record, strikes me as someone who has bluffed his way into various roles he wasn’t really qualified for. Unless I’m missing something, he’s basically a PR man. 

Weir would be interesting.

21 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

This is a bit of a round up from the local press after he left.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/adrian-bevington-gone-pressing-need-17466834

Certainly talks a good game and says a lot that would make sense for us, but his recruitment has failed him at that job.

I'm not convinced the SD's job will involve identifyimg recruits.  That is the job (I hope) of the manager and his scouts.

Once the manager decides who he wants , it becomes the SD's job to conduct negotiations with the player/club and get that target in otherwise we're in the same boat as previously.

It may be semantics but in her welcoming report she said Robbie is 1st team manager (not Head Coach) and that suggests to me that the SD will be much more of a supporting role rather than an overarching one as with CL although the SD's responsibility will probably include academy and admin matters.

Edited by JamboAl

55 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Collins wants to work in an environment that doesn't exist.

He isn't adaptable enough. Or just doesn't fancy the hard work. 

Collins is a wank.  Him and his pub team pish can gtf.  He would be patronising as **** with it.

6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Bevington, to look at his track record, strikes me as someone who has bluffed his way into various roles he wasn’t really qualified for. Unless I’m missing something, he’s basically a PR man. 

Weir would be interesting.

Seems a bit like that David Brent lookalike at Sunderland. 

Pasquale for King
On 24/06/2020 at 15:26, Chuck Berry said:

No, he had a job with tennis after Hearts, then in Dubai, who knows what now.

His last big job was on the board of Better Together, no thanks.

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Is that right? Well, goodoh. With a focused, clearly defined sporting director setting the culture at the club and someone like Robbie, who is about hard work and being meticulous, you'd hope we'd have a good formula. The whole thing just needs weeded out and streamlined. The previous structure just seemed bloated and convolute.

I just hope Robbie has learnt to put more emphasis on us imposing our game, and less weight on what the opposition do. We should be trying to dictate the game in 90% of our matches. And trying even harder to do it in the other 10%!

Less like Levein. Working out how to get the better of Hibs will also be important to win over those not exactly enamoured by his return. 

Neil Dongcaster
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Didn’t they win?

Collins is one of the biggest wanks in football. I don’t know anyone who’s worked with him, under him or along side him who doesn’t think he is a total wank stain. 

Chuck Berry
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not my cup of tea, but his politics are irrelevant.

Ainsley Harriott
On 24/06/2020 at 17:50, Hood09 said:

Did you hear him on the sportsound podcast a few days ago? His time at hibs was just a 10 minute long list of everyone hes managed to fall out with.

On 24/06/2020 at 17:51, Heartsofgold said:

Spongebob Squareheid?!?!  No thanks.  His a very confrontational character so no, no way.

Donald Park I think would do a good job and has been involved with the academy.

20 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Did you hear him on the sportsound podcast a few days ago? His time at hibs was just a 10 minute long list of everyone hes managed to fall out with.

Heard multiple interview with other players who have gone on to much better things saying they rated him. There is unfortunately a mindset in Scotland that he has been a victim too.  

would also consider Strachan too

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

I have a feeling he will have a bit more of a free reign this time around. 

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Didn’t they win?

Fair point, project fear might not work in the SPFL though.

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Heard multiple interview with other players who have gone on to much better things saying they rated him. There is unfortunately a mindset in Scotland that he has been a victim too.  

would also consider Strachan too

True I don't think his continental training, diet and bed at 9PM was ever going to work with the utter neds he managed at hibs. Half them could barley stay off the drugs never mind the pints