• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I expect pelters for this, but having just listened to him on Sunday Sportsound, I would be asking John Collins if he was interested in this role. 

Like him or not, he would demand a level of professionalism and attitude required to develop committed pro players. 

50 minutes ago, blairdin said:

I expect pelters for this, but having just listened to him on Sunday Sportsound, I would be asking John Collins if he was interested in this role. 

Like him or not, he would demand a level of professionalism and attitude required to develop committed pro players. 

Said this earlier in the thread. Would also take yogi for backroom staff for Robbie. Every player I have met personally who has worked with him or heard interviews hasn't a bad word to say. 

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, Hood09 said:

Said this earlier in the thread. Would also take yogi for backroom staff for Robbie. Every player I have met personally who has worked with him or heard interviews hasn't a bad word to say. 

If JJ rates him it's good enough for me 

1 hour ago, blairdin said:

He certainly was always a model professional when he played. He tried to instil that ethos into the tramps when he managed them. They hated the idea. I actually think he would be a good fit in many ways. I believe he has absolutely no time what so ever for the vermin these days.

Gene Parmesan
31 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Speak to anyone at Raith when he dragged them down to League One.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/former-raith-rovers-star-blasts-john-hughes-over-2017-tenure-1026128%3famp

Jambof3tornado
7 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

John Collin and Yogi Hughes.......

Just behave.

This. Away and shite in your hands and clap!!

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Just behave.

Unreal isn’t it :rofl:

Budge won’t appoint anyone. You’ll see

5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Just behave.

Indeed. John Collins was one of my idols as a kid when he played for Scotland and Monaco. He was a fabulous player. I know Yogi and his family he's a good guy. But... They are tainted. No one that has played for both Hibs & Celtic should be near a job at Hearts. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Indeed. John Collins was one of my idols as a kid when he played for Scotland and Monaco. He was a fabulous player. I know Yogi and his family he's a good guy. But... They are tainted. No one that has played for both Hibs & Celtic should be near a job at Hearts. 

Hartley?

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

John Collins & big Yogi are golfing pals and I suspect that it's another instance of sportsound being used as a recruitment agency for out of work managers. That said, I quite like big Yogi,  and would not be averse to  him & Collins at the club. Depends on how Robbie would feel how Yogi fitted in on the coaching staff with Collins as sporting director.

manaliveits105
4 hours ago, Hood09 said:

Your teams got another court case to worry about eh 

Collins has very good outlook on how things should be done. Yogi is a top top guy.

But christ Jkb needs football back!!!!

jamboinglasgow

If what the Evening news was saying last week that additional interviews were happening last week, I imagine that we should hear an announcement of the Sporting director this week.

Greedy Jambo

I wonder if we're putting off signing a sporting director until the outcome of the hearing. 

Let's face it, he's not going to be on loans manager type money. 

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Leveins doing it from home.

13 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I hope she doesn't. Just let the Manager, manage as he sees fit. 

Samuel Camazzola
16 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Does that rule Pat McGinley out?Riordan? 

:peepwall:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I hope she doesn't. Just let the Manager, manage as he sees fit. 

I’m inclined to say that in the Championship we could do without a sporting director. But if you look at the bigger picture, our overall recruitment has to be addressed. It’s shocking 

23 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’m inclined to say that in the Championship we could do without a sporting director. But if you look at the bigger picture, our overall recruitment has to be addressed. It’s shocking 

Are you suggesting the SD should be responsible for the recruitment, at 1st team level anyway, or should the manager be responsible?

I wouldn’t bother with a sporting director but if I was appointing one John Collins or Graeme souness would do.   Oh, sir Alex would also def make the shortlist.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Are you suggesting the SD should be responsible for the recruitment, at 1st team level anyway, or should the manager be responsible?

A sporting director should absolutely be involved with recruitment at first-team level. And ultimately responsible for it.

If you’re a well run club then your head coach has plenty of input too.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

A sporting director should absolutely be involved with recruitment at first-team level. And ultimately responsible for it.

Agree.

My understanding of the Sporting Director/ Director of Football role is that in modern football managers move on all the time, so its an attempt to take some of the responsibility out of the hands of the manager and give it to someone who is involved with the club long term to preserve continuity when that manager does eventually move on. Obviously, with Levein it went terribly wrong, but the idea in principle is sound, it works everywhere else so any argument it won't work here is ridiculous IMO. 

But, as you say the head coach/manager should have input because ultimately, he's the one working with the team and will understand the team dynamic better. 

I understand with the court situation this has likely been put on the back burners but I'd like to see them appointed soon, it would be good for them to get in before the season starts so they can review everything first with ample time for change if needed. 

Bunny Munro
3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Are we really going over this again?

Every successful club, in the world, has some kind of similar system.

Robbie (the manager) works with the scouts and picks who he wants to sign.

He gives the list to the sporting director who then contacts agents, discusses salaries, contract lengths, transfer fees etc. 

Managers don't sit and batter out contracts anymore. 

Jingle Bells
Chairwomen

Board

CEO

Sporting Director

Football Manager

Head of Academy

Head of Recruitment

Head of Coach Education

Loan Manager

Hearts might not appoint  a CEO or Sporting Director  but if we do it seems quite a long chain of command for a medium  sized Club, sitting bottom of the league.last term.
cleardot.gif

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

If you read the official site Robbie was hired as the MANAGER not the head coach,

Read Bunny Munro's post above.  The SD will facilitate the signing of Robbie's targets, not decide who we are to sign and then foist them on the Head Coach.

David Black
8 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:
Chairwomen

Board

CEO

Sporting Director

Football Manager

Head of Academy

Head of Recruitment

Head of Coach Education

Loan Manager

Hearts might not appoint  a CEO or Sporting Director  but if we do it seems quite a long chain of command for a medium  sized Club, sitting bottom of the league.last term.
cleardot.gif

We could easily do without the bottom 3, possibly even the Head of Academy, dependent on what the SD jobs remit is. I agree it is far to many for a club our size.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

If you read the official site Robbie was hired as the MANAGER not the head coach,

Read Bunny Munro's post above.  The SD will facilitate the signing of Robbie's targets, not decide who we are to sign and then foist them on the Head Coach.

I’ve never suggested that he would, genius.

Plus, neither you nor Bunny have any idea of how it will really work.

pettigrewsstylist

Collins is bigger than any club and yogi "gid honest Scottish laddie", is a luddite. Gies peace. Doubt AB would interview either.

1 hour ago, Jingle Bells said:
Chairwomen

Board

CEO

Sporting Director

Football Manager

Head of Academy

Head of Recruitment

Head of Coach Education

Loan Manager

cleardot.gif

The Manager should be the boss and the Sporting Director assisting the manager in his aims and needs.

29 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’ve never suggested that he would, genius.

Plus, neither you nor Bunny have any idea of how it will really work.

Thanks for the compliment.  It's taken you a while to realise.

I think you posted this below.

That clearly suggests to me that you think the SD should be the lead person for recruitment with the Head Coach allowed to make suggestions.  Firstly we do not have a Head Coach.  We have a manager.   HE is the man responsible and the SD's involvement will be to go get (negotiate etc) the player RN wants.

You may be right that neither Bunny nor I can be sure of how it will really wotk but I have formed my opinion on the basis that the official site said we appointed a MANAGER (and not a H/Coach).  The H/Coach nonsense is probably something you made up just to be your usual contradictory self.

3 hours ago, Voxpop said:

I don’t think we need a sporting director.   Money better spent on the team.

The sporting director helps ensure that whatever money is spent is spent well.

What people don't seem to get is that a Sporting Director is the middle ground between the business side of the club and the football side so people calling for Yogi, Collins and even JJ are way off the mark as they only have the football side and even then there footballing knowledge is limited to the dressing room and the training pitch. For the Sporting Director role we need someone that is an experienced administrator, can negotiate contracts and be able to manage people, (not manage footballers) especially the scouting department so that the manager can get on with coaching the players he has and then providing his preferences from the scouted players. 

Imagine Fergie when he managed being told by the owners of Man U that a Sporting Director would be coming in over him. ####-### would be his response  and quite right too. When you employ a manager it's everyone's job at the club to give him all the help and support he needs. The manager decides who is signed, who leaves, and who does what. If the manager isn't happy with his staff, players, fitness & medical staff  scouting, youths, facilities,  and Sporting Director, it will be the managers decision on the outcome of these individuals.

Edited by mitch41

Dusk_Till_Dawn
44 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Imagine Fergie when he managed being told by the owners of Man U that a Sporting Director would be coming in over him. ####-### would be his response  and quite right too. When you employ a manager it's everyone's job at the club to give him all the help and support he needs. The manager decides who is signed, who leaves, and who does what. If the manager isn't happy with his staff, players, fitness & medical staff  scouting, youths, facilities,  and Sporting Director, it will be the managers decision on the outcome of these individuals.

But if manager after manager signs a load of shite - as has happened at Man Utd since Fergie left - where does it leave a club? It leaves them constantly trying to rid themselves of players they don’t want, which has pretty much been Hearts for the past three years. It becomes a massive waste of money.

There’s a balance to be struck and a lot of modern clubs are finding the balance. Have an overarching transfer strategy which managers/coaches fit into and which creates some sort of longer term plan. If you think about it, it makes sense.

30 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

So you haven’t spoken directly to Budge or Neilson or the incoming sporting director about how it will work? You have no idea how it will work?

(I’m just reprising your usual patter on here btw).

Being ultimately responsible for it doesn’t mean you hoist players on a manager/head coach/whatever his title is. You know that. Don’t be a dick.

Never mind the "whatever is his title" nonsense.  He was appointed as MANAGER and it's on that fact I have based my opinion.  I am not at liberty to say whether I have spoken to Ann or Robbie.  Any discussions I have with them are confidential.

I have reported your last comment.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Never mind the "whatever is his title" nonsense.  He was appointed as MANAGER and it's on that fact I have based my opinion.  I am not at liberty to say whether I have spoken to Ann or Robbie.  Any discussions I have with them are confidential.

I have reported your last comment.

You strike me as the sort of person who reports comments :rofl:

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You strike me as the sort of person who reports comments :rofl:

That was a sharp conclusion you reached considering I told you.  :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Try playing the ball instead of the man.  I would have hoped that you  would change your ways a little after being humiliated on another thread yesterday.

5 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:
Chairwomen

Board

CEO

Sporting Director

Football Manager

Head of Academy

Head of Recruitment

Head of Coach Education

Loan Manager

cleardot.gif

We no longer have a loans manager.  Naysmith is away.  I seen it on his linkedin

Dusk_Till_Dawn

That was a sharp conclusion you reached considering I told you.  :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Try playing the ball instead of the man.  I would have hoped that you  would change your ways a little after being humiliated on another thread yesterday.

which thread? I don’t believe that happened, much as you would have liked it to

Dusk_Till_Dawn

PS - I would love to play the ball but given that you don’t even know what a sporting director is (or how recruitment has changed in the past 30 years) where to start? I don’t have all night.

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

which thread? I don’t believe that happened, much as you would have liked it to

Can't be bothered for the likes of you.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

PS - I would love to play the ball but given that you don’t even know what a sporting director is (or how recruitment has changed in the past 30 years) where to start? I don’t have all night.

Good.

Thank the Lord for that.

Pasquale for King
On 05/07/2020 at 18:34, argyjambo said:

John Collins & big Yogi are golfing pals and I suspect that it's another instance of sportsound being used as a recruitment agency for out of work managers. That said, I quite like big Yogi,  and would not be averse to  him & Collins at the club. Depends on how Robbie would feel how Yogi fitted in on the coaching staff with Collins as sporting director.

They tried that at Livi and it didn’t work, there’s no chance either of these two will ever be accepted at Tynecastle in any shape or form. There’s a reason they play golf together instead of working in football.