Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ainsley Harriott

I'm not expecting a decision anytime soon. Ann is back to what she did last year interviewing everyman and his dog. Final stage interviews to be held mid October.

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

I don't think we know that yet. Since different leagues are dealing with different circumstances and potentially with different start dates, Fifa are considering leaving the summer window open all the way through to Jan 31st but nothing has been decided yet. If there's no extension to the normal summer window then we have until 31st August to make our moves. I'd be very surprised if RN hasn't already been doing some homework though.

Cheers......more ammo for court case, how can we properly prepare for the new season when we don't really know who we can attract/ sign/ when we can afford to sign etc!

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

I did, but I'm not referring to his ability as a player. I'm too young to properly remember his Hearts days and I never watched him at Everton.

My on real memory of him is as a Rangers player and I always thought he came across a bit of a huddy.

I've only ever heard huddy to describe a shite footballer, and never in any other context. 

At der hun he was a prick but that's because he is a winner I suppose. I think he'd be a good appointment. 

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

Probably good that Weir aint coming if Rangers board get told things from him.

Its almost like everything I was worried about was valid. I think when you recruit someone with such obvious leanings to the OF to such a senior position you are opening Pandoras box. Its just not worth it. 

Experience is so important and on top of everything else Weir didn't have that for me. I'd much rather we went for someone with a track record and proven experience succeeding at what they do. I don't necessarily want Robbie and the new SD to be pals either. Obviously, being able to work together is crucial, but with Levein it was all a bit too jobs for the boys which ultimately led us here. 

Having a very solid grounding in Scottish football is crucial as well, I kind of get this fear that a guy like Bevington could buy into that Scottish football is shite and think any Tom, Dick or Harry from the English lower leagues could make it here. I can't think of any resounding successes from the English lower leagues we've had. Uche proves that just being physical isn't enough, you need to have some semblance of ability and Lee and Damour both show a need for players to be able to think quickly and move just as fast. You don't get time on the ball up here and any Sporting Director would need to understand that clearly and recruit accordingly. It sounds daft to suggest someone like Bevington could make such basic mistakes, but how many English players do we get that think they're going to stroll it up here and really struggle with the pace of the game? Rangers have made those mistakes repeatedly with their appointments IMO (Warburtons English signings, Pedro thinking you can play at a snails pace and be successful here). Its a common mistake and something that I'd be looking for any sporting director to be acutely aware of from the outset. 

We're not a club that can afford to make mistakes. Resourcewise, Hibs and Aberdeen are so similar and there clearly isn't a big enough gap between us and the Motherwells etc to be able to soak up these mistakes. Budge really needs to get this appointment right. 

45 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I've only ever heard huddy to describe a shite footballer, and never in any other context. 

At der hun he was a prick but that's because he is a winner I suppose. I think he'd be a good appointment. 

Thankfully Weir was a  moaning prick at Falkirk, for us, Everton and Rangers.

Just got away with it more at one of these clubs.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

They could sign a corpse and you’d tell us all to give it a chance

Tbf, he'd be cool under pressure. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbf, he'd be cool under pressure. 

Virtually unflappable

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Was always something I noticed about Hearts as a kid - up to my late twenties/early thirties. We always had really strong defenders and keepers. Centrehalf/Centreback/Sweeper positions have been just remarkable, and we had some run from my first game in 1986 right up to winning the cup in 2012:

Jardline-Levein-MacPherson-McLaren-Bruno-Weir-Ritchie-Locke-Pressley-Webster-Berra-Zaliukas 

Some were better than others in that list, but what’s remarkable is it’s an unbroken chain of what you would class as quality, I think. There were some poor players in there too in amongst that lot, like Petric, and James, and some some half decent guys like McManus, McKenna and Bouzid, but that’s who I have watched since I was seven up to 32 y/o. The only possible break in that chain I think was Petric and James, but I think Locke and Pressley we’re starting to play further back and move closer in (respectively) to replace them before too long. I’ve always thought that, that was a big part in our consistency over the years, as that sort of continuity is invaluable. You aim to always have at least three good quality centrebacks in your squad at all times, preferably four with one being an older head and another a young kid learning the trade. When we were docked points and slapped with a registration ban, that chain was broken, and we have never managed to start a new one of sufficient quality ever since. In an ideal world, you only ever replace one from the unit at any time and the continuity continues.

Had hoped that Berra and Souttar might have been the start of a new chain, but alas, circumstances again conspire against us. :( 

Have you mixed up the name with another player? Gary Locke was right back and the laterly midfield for us. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Virtually unflappable

I have visions of a player in a Hearts strip akin to weekend at Bernies. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
27 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its almost like everything I was worried about was valid. I think when you recruit someone with such obvious leanings to the OF to such a senior position you are opening Pandoras box. Its just not worth it. 

Experience is so important and on top of everything else Weir didn't have that for me. I'd much rather we went for someone with a track record and proven experience succeeding at what they do. I don't necessarily want Robbie and the new SD to be pals either. Obviously, being able to work together is crucial, but with Levein it was all a bit too jobs for the boys which ultimately led us here. 

Having a very solid grounding in Scottish football is crucial as well, I kind of get this fear that a guy like Bevington could buy into that Scottish football is shite and think any Tom, Dick or Harry from the English lower leagues could make it here. I can't think of any resounding successes from the English lower leagues we've had. Uche proves that just being physical isn't enough, you need to have some semblance of ability and Lee and Damour both show a need for players to be able to think quickly and move just as fast. You don't get time on the ball up here and any Sporting Director would need to understand that clearly and recruit accordingly. It sounds daft to suggest someone like Bevington could make such basic mistakes, but how many English players do we get that think they're going to stroll it up here and really struggle with the pace of the game? Rangers have made those mistakes repeatedly with their appointments IMO (Warburtons English signings, Pedro thinking you can play at a snails pace and be successful here). Its a common mistake and something that I'd be looking for any sporting director to be acutely aware of from the outset. 

We're not a club that can afford to make mistakes. Resourcewise, Hibs and Aberdeen are so similar and there clearly isn't a big enough gap between us and the Motherwells etc to be able to soak up these mistakes. Budge really needs to get this appointment right. 

There’s a balance to be struck. There’s absolutely no reason why certain players from the English leagues shouldn’t be good enough for the SPFL. But you’re entirely dependent on the strength and skill of your scouting, to limit the risks of mistakes. We need a sporting director with a proven track record of recruiting well (Bevington simply doesn’t have that IMO) but admittedly, there’s a limit to the pool we can expect to choose from. 

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There’s a balance to be struck. There’s absolutely no reason why certain players from the English leagues shouldn’t be good enough for the SPFL. But you’re entirely dependent on the strength and skill of your scouting, to limit the risks of mistakes. We need a sporting director with a proven track record of recruiting well (Bevington simply doesn’t have that IMO) but admittedly, there’s a limit to the pool we can expect to choose from. 

Absolutely. I think it should be a question which cuts to the core of what we're trying to do. Like you say, we have a limited pool to choose from. An all singing all dancing 'full package' sporting director isn't in our price range. So what are we trying to do? My understanding is youth development. We want to take local laddies and give them every opportunity to succeed at Hearts with an eventual goal of becoming the premier club in Scotland for youth development. Thats a perfectly reasonable and achievable goal, that is also ambitious. We have strong financial resources and a big support, we also have a first class training facility at Riccarton. The essentials to succeed are there. 

Finding someone who ticks the boxes with that question in mind seems a lot more reasonable. I really don't think recruiting well from the lower leagues in England is that hard, Motherwell and Aberdeen have both managed it with reasonable success. We've just done an atrocious job of that under Levein. Certainly, as a club though our primary focus should be on pushing kids on as far as they can go. If we can pad our team out with a mixture of former/current internationals, promising youngsters and academy graduates who make the grade but maybe not enough to sell (Walker types for example) we can to a large degree cut the middle man out (English lower league journeymen I mean). 

I think if you really drill down on those points the guy you come up with is probably Brian McClair. Heaps of experience in football, 9 years running Manchester Utd's academy and Scottish so will understand Scottish footballs frantic nature, whilst also understanding the process of developing youth. Being associated with Man Utd makes me think he'll have a wealth of connections down South too which ticks that box. He's maybe not had that 'sporting director' title, but in terms of experience he's right up there and running an academy at such a prestigious club won't be hugely dissimilar. Certainly, as a candidate for me he ticks all the boxes we could ask for. A few posters have said they've seen him kicking about in Edinburgh so he lives here too. My choice is Donald Park because of his having a track record in the area we're trying to grow in (youth development) but McClair does look a very, very solid candidate if he was interested.  

27 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Have you mixed up the name with another player? Gary Locke was right back and the laterly midfield for us. 

I have, yeah. Think I just brain-farted and had him at CB for some reason. Who was it came in for James and Petric? Pressley I’m sure came in from fullback, if I remember right, but I’m sure we had someone else who slotted in as well. Or I may be mistaken. Was it maybe Severin briefly? 🤔

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I have, yeah. Think I just brain-farted and had him at CB for some reason. Who was it came in for James and Petric? Pressley I’m sure came in from fullback, if I remember right, but I’m sure we had someone else who slotted in as well. Or I may be mistaken. Was it maybe Severin briefly? 🤔

Pressley did start at fullback the summer after the '98 Cup win. Severin did fill in there on a couple of occasions. IIRC, he moved into the position during the 1999 0-3 derby match. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 minutes ago, OTT said:

Absolutely. I think it should be a question which cuts to the core of what we're trying to do. Like you say, we have a limited pool to choose from. An all singing all dancing 'full package' sporting director isn't in our price range. So what are we trying to do? My understanding is youth development. We want to take local laddies and give them every opportunity to succeed at Hearts with an eventual goal of becoming the premier club in Scotland for youth development. Thats a perfectly reasonable and achievable goal, that is also ambitious. We have strong financial resources and a big support, we also have a first class training facility at Riccarton. The essentials to succeed are there. 

Finding someone who ticks the boxes with that question in mind seems a lot more reasonable. I really don't think recruiting well from the lower leagues in England is that hard, Motherwell and Aberdeen have both managed it with reasonable success. We've just done an atrocious job of that under Levein. Certainly, as a club though our primary focus should be on pushing kids on as far as they can go. If we can pad our team out with a mixture of former/current internationals, promising youngsters and academy graduates who make the grade but maybe not enough to sell (Walker types for example) we can to a large degree cut the middle man out (English lower league journeymen I mean). 

I think if you really drill down on those points the guy you come up with is probably Brian McClair. Heaps of experience in football, 9 years running Manchester Utd's academy and Scottish so will understand Scottish footballs frantic nature, whilst also understanding the process of developing youth. Being associated with Man Utd makes me think he'll have a wealth of connections down South too which ticks that box. He's maybe not had that 'sporting director' title, but in terms of experience he's right up there and running an academy at such a prestigious club won't be hugely dissimilar. Certainly, as a candidate for me he ticks all the boxes we could ask for. A few posters have said they've seen him kicking about in Edinburgh so he lives here too. My choice is Donald Park because of his having a track record in the area we're trying to grow in (youth development) but McClair does look a very, very solid candidate if he was interested.  

I’m with you on McClair. Would certainly take him over Bevington.

4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Pressley did start at fullback the summer after the '98 Cup win. Severin did fill in there on a couple of occasions. IIRC, he moved into the position during the 1999 0-3 derby match. 

Think I’ve mashed Pressley and Locke together with Severin there. 👍

3 hours ago, Gambo said:

Could be from his agent. Could be from a friend. Doesn’t have to have come from Weir. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I'm not expecting a decision anytime soon. Ann is back to what she did last year interviewing everyman and his dog. Final stage interviews to be held mid October.

Bit harsh considering only 10 days or so ago she said would take about a month 

Bevington would be a disaster. His signings at Boro were largely on a par with Levein at us . 

Edited by el_jambo74

54 minutes ago, OTT said:

I remember Brian McClair being mentioned first time round after the CL "sacking" and being very impressed with what was being said about him at that time. 

Thought I'd also read he now lives in Edinburgh, but I could be wrong. He would certainly appear to have the credentials to be a success in the role

8 minutes ago, HEARTS FOREVER said:

Mclairs problem.....is that he enjoys far to many Bevingtons. 😁

Its a no from me.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 you been on the Bevington ( double post)

Auld Reekin'
3 minutes ago, HEARTS FOREVER said:

Mclairs problem.....is that he enjoys far to many Bevingtons. 😁

Its a no from me.

A dream-team of McClair & Burley...?!?!?!?   :olly: :mel: :toasting:  :booze::booze:🍺🍺

:jjockio:

51 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Bit harsh considering only 10 days or so ago she said would take about a month 

It was around that time she said she wanted to appoint a Sporting Director before the Manager (again).  She confirmed this again, after Robbie’s appointment, but said it could not wait, and she had to move fast.   

Guest ToqueJambo
26 minutes ago, Paolo said:

It was around that time she said she wanted to appoint a Sporting Director before the Manager (again).  She confirmed this again, after Robbie’s appointment, but said it could not wait, and she had to move fast.   

I don't know why Budge bothers to try to keep fans updated when so many pick holes in everything she says and then throw things back in her face when what she says she ideally wants to do and what she actually manages to do don't exactly match up - which often happens in football, business and life in general. She should just release information after it's sorted instead of giving the trolls ammunition.

Edited by ToqueJambo

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don't know why Budge bothers to try to keep fans updated when so many pick holes in everything she says and then throw things back in her face when what she says she ideally wants to do and what she actually manages to do don't exactly match up - which often happens in football, business and life in general. She should just release information after it's sorted instead of giving the trolls ammunition.

This. Tedious as ****.

Adam_the_legend
7 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

How so ?

7 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

No massive rush really. Training isn't resuming until mid August and as it stands we're not due to kick a ball until a while after. I'd rather we took our time and got it right. 

7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

What's the rush? 

Rush or no rush our recruitment processes for senior staff have been consistently terrible under budge. Remember the “we had the perfect guy down the corridor” after a month of interviews when CL was appointed manager. And who can forget the stendel hire when there WAS a rush being in free fall mid season but still took 5 weeks to get someone in. 

Robbie has been the exception both times but I don’t trust budge with important hires, her overly cautious approach seems like a lack of confidence in what she’s doing and there is a pattern of poor decision making imo. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Why is this guy Bevington suddenly taking an interest in Scottish football? Maybe he just fancies a change of lifestyle up here? Anyhow, judging by this interview giving his views on Steve McLaren (again - out of the many folk who have worked with McLaren why should we care what he thinks?) we may have dodged a bullet if that's his idea of a manager suited to a club like Dundee Utd at this time.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53237430

Edited by ToqueJambo

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Why is this guy Bevington suddenly taking an interest in Scottish football? Maybe he just fancies a change of lifestyle up here? Anyhow, judging by this interview giving his views on Steve McLaren (again - out of the many folk who have worked with McLaren why should we care what he thinks?) we may have dodged a bullet if that's his idea of a manager suited to a club like Dundee Utd at this time.

Maybe after Doncaster's job.

Interesting read if you want an idea about what a sporting director needs to have achieved or where they came from.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/7-best-sporting-directors-world-football-right-now

It could be a manager or coach that just gets fed up with the same stuff and wants to look at achieving something greater.

I was looking at Mark Hughes who is available.  Not had much success as a manager but must have great experience and knowledge of football.

Pressley has good experience also.  Also not a success as a manager, albeit ruled himself out.

Edit:  I think we will or should go for someone that can recruit players within our budget range, unearth gems, have experience of scottish or brittish football, or both.  Which is why I mentioned Pressley as an example.

Here's an interesting shout:  https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ricky-sbragia/profil/trainer/4464

Edited by HMFC01

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

100%

Im watching that "Sunderland till I die" and if anything it shows how fluid football can be and that there are so many factors involved when recruiting staff and players. 

It's not like little Britain. 

louandy.jpg

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Rush or no rush our recruitment processes for senior staff have been consistently terrible under budge. Remember the “we had the perfect guy down the corridor” after a month of interviews when CL was appointed manager. And who can forget the stendel hire when there WAS a rush being in free fall mid season but still took 5 weeks to get someone in. 

Robbie has been the exception both times but I don’t trust budge with important hires, her overly cautious approach seems like a lack of confidence in what she’s doing and there is a pattern of poor decision making imo. 

Aye, she should leave us now. 

Perfect timing, nothing else important happening just now. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Probably thinks he’s got a chance of a job with the Famous so is touting himself about. His CV is very flimsy.

Lone Striker

Hate to mention this .... but someone with the skillset of John Park would be the sort of person I think we should be looking for.   He seemed to have the right sort of contacts in youth football in the early 2000s which resulted in the Hobos getting hold of their "golden generation", and him developing them in their academy   So much so that Celtic took him as chief scout - he was there for 10 years. Obviously easier to attract established and young players to a club like that, but he'll have Forrest, McGregor and Tierney on his CV, as well as Hooper and Van Dijk.    Apparently he was being touted for Falkirk until their takeover crashed.

Imagine the seethe on here if Ann was to interview and appoint him !!

7 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Hate to mention this .... but someone with the skillset of John Park would be the sort of person I think we should be looking for.   He seemed to have the right sort of contacts in youth football in the early 2000s which resulted in the Hobos getting hold of their "golden generation", and him developing them in their academy   So much so that Celtic took him as chief scout - he was there for 10 years. Obviously easier to attract established and young players to a club like that, but he'll have Forrest, McGregor and Tierney on his CV, as well as Hooper and Van Dijk.    Apparently he was being touted for Falkirk until their takeover crashed.

What's he doing now?  Hard to get information on him.  I'd say he would be an ideal applicant or choice.

38 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Probably thinks he’s got a chance of a job with the Famous so is touting himself about. His CV is very flimsy.

Flimsy is an understatement. His only real football experience is writing about it in his local paper and answering emails to the press at the FA. Might get a job at the SFA mind you. 

Special Agent Dale Cooper
11 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Circumstances permitting, that's a great call.

No seethe from me.

12 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Agree. Parky's CV is fantastic. He knows his onions. 

Right, so I think John Park is the director of football for Scotland U19's.  Not sure though :)   The guys profile is almost an enigma if it wasn't for Celtic and Hibs employing him.

Greedy Jambo

It sounds like the same old crap all over again, contenders for the job are dropping like flies because we've "chosen to go down a different route" 

WTF man, do we even have a plan? What's going on?

Lone Striker
2 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

It sounds like the same old crap all over again, contenders for the job are dropping like flies because we've "chosen to go down a different route" 

WTF man, do we even have a plan? What's going on?

It does sound a bit odd. Perhaps it's because the folk she's interviewing want to have the head coach reporting to them, whereas Ann's plan was to have them both reporting directly to her ? 

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

It does sound a bit odd. Perhaps it's because the folk she's interviewing want to have the head coach reporting to them, whereas Ann's plan was to have them both reporting directly to her ? 

It's like ****ing groundhog day mate. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Wrong park for me ! Donald park would do well with this job in my opinion 

2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Wrong park for me ! Donald park would do well with this job in my opinion 

Both? **** it. 

Appoint one to head up the academy, the other as SD. 

Jobs a good un :) 

Park and Park, the dynamic duo!

6 hours ago, OTT said:

Both? **** it. 

Appoint one to head up the academy, the other as SD. 

Jobs a good un :) 

Park and Park, the dynamic duo!

Thought Roger Arnott already did that,

Don't know how good/bad/indifferent he is.

pettigrewsstylist
19 hours ago, Gambo said:

The valid concern of many.