Sporting Director

steve123

Batistuta87
5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

As was I. It would appear - if the EEN is correct - that he is not being considered.

Yup... Oh well!! 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lone Striker
19 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Shock. Yet another excruciating recruitment process from AB. 

How so ?

Batistuta87
18 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

No massive rush really. Training isn't resuming until mid August and as it stands we're not due to kick a ball until a while after. I'd rather we took our time and got it right. 

19 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

17 minutes ago, pointon said:

We like to drag things out

What's the rush? 

PhoenixHearts
54 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Did someone just describe Weir as a hammer thrower 😂😂

I did, but I'm not referring to his ability as a player. I'm too young to properly remember his Hearts days and I never watched him at Everton.

My on real memory of him is as a Rangers player and I always thought he came across a bit of a huddy.

1 minute ago, PhoenixHearts said:

I did, but I'm not referring to his ability as a player. I'm too young to properly remember his Hearts days and I never watched him at Everton.

My on real memory of him is as a Rangers player and I always thought he came across a bit of a huddy.

:laugh2: Your memory can't be too good. He won the Scottish Writers and Players player of the year at 38yr old at Rangers. Davie Weir was different class.

6 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

I enjoyed watching him play for us.   He was a rare defender who had good control and passing of the ball.     In no way could he be described as a huddy. 

9 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

He was magnificent at Hearts and was basically Man of the Match every week.  Maybe that says something about his team mates!  Actually, that's harsh because it wasn't a rubbish side but Weir was always majestic positionally.  As we saw at the World Cup, only his pace let him down.

20 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

It surely confirms that no sporting director gave the green light on Robbie's appointment. You would think the correct way would be CEO > SD > Manager.

It seems she's doing it in reverse, so she'll need to recruit very well. Recruiting three completely different people before stepping back could be dangerous. 

That’s why I thought Bevington was a good fit as he was already on the same train.

14 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Joe Savage could still be the guy. 

thought you meant this guy, wrong Joe :D 

Netflix star Joe Exotic files longshot lawsuit

Edited by OTT

Rick Sanchez
Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

That’s why I thought Bevington was a good fit as he was already on the same train.

He definitely has a lot of knowledge in both SD and CEO roles, so could have been a good appointment.

My last post wasn't a dig at Ann btw, even though this is twice now she's opted against the SD first. I only feel it's dangerous incase she takes a step back and all three of them after a few weeks realise they're on different pages.

logie green
55 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I would imagine salary would have been an issue with Bevington. I would hope that Robbie is involved with this process as was hinted at about his relationship with Tony ashgar at Dundee United 

no idea of his qualifications but if he's worked with RN before what about poaching the DU guy?

Early signs were Weir was a done deal. Wonder if that isn't the case then. 

Bevington would be expensive tbf. Stand by Donald Park being the right choice. Brian McClair would be an excellent choice too. 

PhoenixHearts
15 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

:laugh2: Your memory can't be too good. He won the Scottish Writers and Players player of the year at 38yr old at Rangers. Davie Weir was different class.

Again, nothing to do with his play. Just comes across as a big dope, even though I know he isn't. Don't know if it's his voice, his face or the fact he's just always looked about 60. Can't place it. It is what it is.

Edited by PhoenixHearts

1 minute ago, logie green said:

no idea of his qualifications but if he's worked with RN before what about poaching the DU guy?

Don't think they actually got on well!

48 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

All he is doing is sucking up to the club because no other club would touch him with a bargepole. Levein's diary is full of sitting by his phone and making sure his mobile is fully charged when he goes out to the bookies. Friday : Radio Scotland & Daily Record.

Saturday : TalkSport & The Sunday Mail & The Sunday Post, Waiting on The Sun, Times, Evening News, The Herald etc etc.

Aye ok 👍 It all turned sour in his time at Hearts but I’ll remember Levein as one of best ever players with a career cruelly curtailed by injury and a manager first time around who done well. He also assisted Ann Budge in restoring our club after admin. His time was up but I genuinely believe he has an affinity for Hearts. 

2 hours ago, busby1985 said:

My Bevington info came from the boy who’s dad is on the Rangers board. He said Weir had indicated that he isn’t getting the job. The boy is normally decent with his info. 

Obviously my contact has heard Weir is out and just assumed Bevington was next in line. 

2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

He definitely has a lot of knowledge in both SD and CEO roles, so could have been a good appointment.

My last post wasn't a dig at Ann btw, even though this is twice now she's opted against the SD first. I only feel it's dangerous incase she takes a step back and all three of them after a few weeks realise they're on different pages.

I understand where you are coming from. If you read the link I posted and took the names of the people and club out it could easily have been Hearts six years ago that they were writing about. Seemed to me that RN and Bevington were already on the same page therefore only one more piece to fit. Maybe Bevington is being considered for the CEO role?

10 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Aye ok 👍 It all turned sour in his time at Hearts but I’ll remember Levein as one of best ever players with a career cruelly curtailed by injury and a manager first time around who done well. He also assisted Ann Budge in restoring our club after admin. His time was up but I genuinely believe he has an affinity for Hearts. 

Far too normal an opinion for this place, Stevie. That’s where I’m at too. Some of the totally over the top hysteria about the guy is bizarre. Someone further up the thread claimed he was totally unsuccessful as a manager. I must have imagined many a good time, just goes to show you, eh? :lol:

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

9 minutes ago, OTT said:

Early signs were Weir was a done deal. Wonder if that isn't the case then. 

Bevington would be expensive tbf. Stand by Donald Park being the right choice. Brian McClair would be an excellent choice too. 

I’m confused.

Are there 1 post or 2?

CEO

&

Director of Football (or Sporting Director).

Perhaps Weir is the Sporting Director and theres also a CEO to step into Ann’s role as Chairman/CEO?

Ann will no doubt step aside when the shares are transferred but perhaps maintain a seat on the board in some capacity 🤷‍♂️

25 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

This. Yes he played for Rangers and, as most do when playing for the OF became a bit of a throbber but, for Hearts the man never gave anything but his all. Different class about covers it

16 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Again, nothing to do with his play. Just comes across as a big dope, even though I know he isn't. Don't know if it's his voice, his face or the fact he's just always looked about 60. Can't place it. It is what it is.

I remember a Hibs fan boss of mine calling him “Old Man Weir” back when he was 26. He has always looked a bit older than he is tbf. :lol:

I think he actually turned pro much later than most as well, as he was doing some kind of scholarship in the states? Might have made that bit up/imagined it.

He’s also a fair bit more educated than most Scottish footballers.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

Rick Sanchez
8 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I understand where you are coming from. If you read the link I posted and took the names of the people and club out it could easily have been Hearts six years ago that they were writing about. Seemed to me that RN and Bevington were already on the same page therefore only one more piece to fit. Maybe Bevington is being considered for the CEO role?

I'd say he ticks the boxes. The only part of Bevington I wasn't actually keen on was his role on the footballing side of it :laugh: 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Hmmmmm, nobody fits the bill eh???

Interesting.

“I was gazing out the new stand rooftop restaurant at Fife and I thought . . . . “

PhoenixHearts
7 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I remember a Hibs fan boss of mine calling him “Old Man Weir” back when he was 26. He has always looked a bit older than he is tbf. :lol:

I think he actually turned pro much later than most as well, as he was doing some kind of scholarship in the states? Might have made that bit up/imagined it.

Agreed, he's very intelligent. He just has a vacant look about him, especially in his Rangers days. Like the lights on but nobody's home. But I suppose looks are often deceiving.

I'm being incredibly mean to the poor guy. I'll stop now.

davie-weir.jpg

Edited by PhoenixHearts

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

A football scholarship 👍🏽

Not been able to follow all this section. If Steve McLaren is being interviewed by DU then should we check him out. His experience and connections would be very useful

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

A football scholarship 👍🏽

He's got a masters in sport directorship IIRC

11 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I’m confused.

Are there 1 post or 2?

CEO

&

Director of Football (or Sporting Director).

Perhaps Weir is the Sporting Director and theres also a CEO to step into Ann’s role as Chairman/CEO?

Ann will no doubt step aside when the shares are transferred but perhaps maintain a seat on the board in some capacity 🤷‍♂️

There seems to be 2 posts going from what Levein said. 

I'm suggesting both as viable candidates for the SD role.

For the CEO role, thats not something I know a great deal about. IMO we'd want someone with a successful background in organisational growth. (I mean we want to grow as a club right? Engage with more fans and eventually look at further stadium expansion?). Even someone with a good knowledge of the various big businesses in Edinburgh for maximising corporate opportunities. 

I think we have a very engaged fan base and an incoming CEO should be looking to harness that further and really try to push the club towards realising its potential. 

51 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

No massive rush really. Training isn't resuming until mid August and as it stands we're not due to kick a ball until a while after. I'd rather we took our time and got it right. 

Big question though.........what is our transfer window/ is it aligned with all other leagues and who does the negotiating????

John Findlay
48 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'm 57 now, I would have a good chance of winning if I wore a Sevco strip.

Batistuta87
14 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Big question though.........what is our transfer window/ is it aligned with all other leagues and who does the negotiating????

I don't think we know that yet. Since different leagues are dealing with different circumstances and potentially with different start dates, Fifa are considering leaving the summer window open all the way through to Jan 31st but nothing has been decided yet. If there's no extension to the normal summer window then we have until 31st August to make our moves. I'd be very surprised if RN hasn't already been doing some homework though.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Ffs, at rangers he was in his late 30's and still playing for Scotland. 

The boy was as cultured a defender as you'll ever see. 

Hammer thrower....

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Hearts could have signed Pele at his peak and you would have said what a disappointing signing.

They could sign a corpse and you’d tell us all to give it a chance

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Oh dear.  Yet another personal attack.  Charming.

Glamorgan Jambo

Still not convinced that Ann knows what she’s looking for from an SD and how much help she’s accepting with making this appointment. First it was a priority before appointing Stendel, then we needed one before confirming a 1st team coach before the coming season. Now she wants to interview more candidates after reappointing Robbie and signing Craig G.

As I’ve said before I think she’s too much of a lone wolf with her decision making. Getting someone with some football experience on the main board has to be a priority. And there’s an ideal candidate out there in Jim Jefferies.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The right credentials?  For what, precisely?

What do you think?

Explain to me please his recruitment credentials. Explain to me his track record when it comes to managing a club like a sporting director needs to.

He might be good but if he is particularly good, it shouldn’t be hard for you to spell it out.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

It surely confirms that no sporting director gave the green light on Robbie's appointment. You would think the correct way would be CEO > SD > Manager.

It seems she's doing it in reverse, so she'll need to recruit very well. Recruiting three completely different people before stepping back could be dangerous. 

Makes you wonder why the rush to get Robbie. There was some suggestion that he was in discussions with other clubs, and was looking to leave Dundee United.Maybe that’s why?

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

:DClass! ? What class did that teacher who schooled him from the Faroes teach again. 

I've seen milk turn quicker. 

Rick Sanchez
9 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Makes you wonder why the rush to get Robbie. There was some suggestion that he was in discussions with other clubs, and was looking to leave Dundee United.Maybe that’s why?

Thats what I said at the time, from first contact with Utd to him signing only took hours. Now they're interviewing Steve McLaren, it's a strange one.

There was a few people saying all the SD's were given 3 options and all picked Robbie Neilson. What a crock :laugh:

3 hours ago, busby1985 said:

My Bevington info came from the boy who’s dad is on the Rangers board. He said Weir had indicated that he isn’t getting the job. The boy is normally decent with his info. 

Probably good that Weir aint coming if Rangers board get told things from him.

18 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Explain to me please his recruitment credentials. Explain to me his track record when it comes to managing a club like a sporting director needs to.

He might be good but if he is particularly good, it shouldn’t be hard for you to spell it out.

My views have already been given if you care to read back.

Whether you agree with someone or not, it is disrespectful and disgusting to bring dead corpses into your replies.

That is gutter stuff.

John Findlay
34 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Which is more than a chance you will give anyone. 

John Findlay
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

My views have already been given if you care to read back.

Whether you agree with someone or not, it is disrespectful and disgusting to bring dead corpses into your replies.

That is gutter stuff.

JamboAl, thanks, but I will handle this poster myself.

Ainsley Harriott
9 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Probably good that Weir aint coming if Rangers board get told things from him.

My thoughts exactly either shite or worrying but probably shite.

Just now, John Findlay said:

JamboAl, thanks, but I will handle this poster myself.

I have no doubt and hope you do it very well.