Sporting Director

steve123

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I am a bit uneasy with him if appointed. His time at Middlesbrough was poor and I completely agree with another poster earlier he knows how to say the right things but maybe do them, as he comes from a PR background.

Only time will tell but on one point I am happy.  He is not a football man (in the playing/tactical sense) so I'd expect RN to be wholly responsible for the 1st team without any hint of interference, as plagued his last spell - whether true or not.

Administratively, he is well experienced and will probably have good contacts so here's hoping.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hungry hippo

I think it really depends on what the club is looking for from the role as the two much discussed candidates would seem to offer very different skills and experience.

Guest ToqueJambo

It's a great job for someone.

Build on the good work done on the youth academy so far

Work with a pretty decent-sized (for Scotland) playing budget

Work with an owner known to back employees and give them time

Position with a fan-owned club with financial stability and benefactor funding for the next 5 years

Best stadium in the country for atmosphere to watch your home games in

Best training facility in the country to work out of

Bets city in the country to live in

New stand built and new pitch installed so few other distractions or budget-sucks

32 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's a great job for someone.

Build on the good work done on the youth academy so far

Work with a pretty decent-sized (for Scotland) playing budget

Work with an owner known to back employees and give them time

Position with a fan-owned club with financial stability and benefactor funding for the next 5 years

Best stadium in the country for atmosphere to watch your home games in

Best training facility in the country to work out of

Bets city in the country to live in

New stand built and new pitch installed so few other distractions or budget-sucks

Great post.

1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

Looks like Lockies brother was incorrect. Bev seems to have won the race. 

Hope not. Adrian Bevington is a ****ing moron who's recruitment for Middlesbrough was worse than Leveins for us. 

Fluorescent Adolescent

Would be happy with Bevington, a very interesting appointment with a wealth of knowledge. Folk pointing to his recruitment at Boro should know by now that it’ll be RN who picks who we sign.

Something doesn’t sit right with me re Weir and it’s not his Rangers connection. Can’t place it.

7 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I am a bit uneasy with him if appointed. His time at Middlesbrough was poor and I completely agree with another poster earlier he knows how to say the right things but maybe do them, as he comes from a PR background.

I would say he is far more suited to a sporting director role than one of recruitment. As long as he is responsible for getting deals done on Robbie’s behalf rather than actually identifying the players it looks a interesting appointment and a breath of fresh air for the club. 

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Yep. The panel, including English, were fawning over his words as if he was teaching them the words of God. When all he was doing, was speaking as someone not tainted by the WCMSM and was able to give an objective view. I'm sure Gordon (maybe English)even half-seriously suggested a job within the Scottish system.

I think it was commented on the big thread at the time, how much sense he was speaking. 

I remember that. He came over really well. If he gets the job he’ll be pilloried for his lack of understanding of the Scottish game on the same show. 

Edited by GinRummy

Phil D. Corners

Both have pros and cons. 

Brevington has had some big roles at the FA and Middlesbrough. But his recruitment was questionable. That said you learn from mistakes. 

Weir knows Scottish and British football as well and Robbie. But has no real experience at a director role. However you need to start somewhere and we have a board already. 

I would take Weir for the football side and Brevington for fresh club leadership. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Bit disappointed if it’s Bevington. Seems like a self-publicist and I’m not sure he has the right credentials tbh

2 hours ago, Barack said:

Yep. The panel, including English, were fawning over his words as if he was teaching them the words of God. When all he was doing, was speaking as someone not tainted by the WCMSM and was able to give an objective view. I'm sure Gordon (maybe English)even half-seriously suggested a job within the Scottish system.

I think it was commented on the big thread at the time, how much sense he was speaking. 

It was along lines of:-

Stop selling yourselves short.

You have a unique product but need more (aaaagh, 'Blue Sky') thinking.

Lose hiding behind clubs, over committee governance when decision making.

Don't back down to broadcasters.

Edited by DETTY29

John Findlay
40 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Bit disappointed if it’s Bevington. Seems like a self-publicist and I’m not sure he has the right credentials tbh

Hearts could have signed Pele at his peak and you would have said what a disappointing signing.

PhoenixHearts
1 hour ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

Would be happy with Bevington, a very interesting appointment with a wealth of knowledge. Folk pointing to his recruitment at Boro should know by now that it’ll be RN who picks who we sign.

Something doesn’t sit right with me re Weir and it’s not his Rangers connection. Can’t place it.

I'm exactly the same. Don't know if it's because it just seems a bit "jobs for the the boys" or if he just doesn't seem like he's experienced enough for such a role.

Always thought of him as a wee bit of a hammer thrower too. Wait, maybe that one IS to do with the rangers connection. 

4 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

I'm exactly the same. Don't know if it's because it just seems a bit "jobs for the the boys" or if he just doesn't seem like he's experienced enough for such a role.

Always thought of him as a wee bit of a hammer thrower too. Wait, maybe that one IS to do with the rangers connection. 

He was far from a hammer thrower when he played for us. Brilliant reading of the game, great organiser, solid with the ball at his feet and with his head. Wish we could find someone of that ilk to shore up our current defence.

Rick Sanchez

I hold some reservations about Bevington's suitability. He actually ticks a lot of boxes, but us the fans are probably only looking at transfers and suitability to bring the academy up to scratch.

Having worked at a high level within the English FA and with a number of good managers, he might know what to put in place. He might completely rebuild our scouting network and know what's required to or know someone to hire to give our kids a better chance of making it.

He looks like he ticks a few boxes for CEO aswell, so maybe Ann thinks his experience could be valuable now she doesn't have Levein.

Special Agent Dale Cooper
2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

He was far from a hammer thrower when he played for us. Brilliant reading of the game, great organiser, solid with the ball at his feet and with his head. Wish we could find someone of that ilk to shore up our current defence.

This. Exceptionally elegant and astute player, I always thought.

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I'm dubious to. The fact his background is PR I sometimes wonder if Ann is easily sucked in by people that talk good game ie our Craig.

2 hours ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

I hope so.

I agree and don't why either.

grumpyespana

You have just got to laugh sometimes you would think we were Real Madrid, it would not matter who we brought in some if they are supporters would say things were black instead of white you cannot please everyone lol.

My Bevington info came from the boy who’s dad is on the Rangers board. He said Weir had indicated that he isn’t getting the job. The boy is normally decent with his info. 

Bevington would be a top notch appointment and a real signal of intent. I would love to see Donald Park given the head scout post. He has an incredible knowledge of the game here.

Colonel Kurtz
9 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

I think it really depends on what the club is looking for from the role as the two much discussed candidates would seem to offer very different skills and experience.

perhaps Bevington wont have recruitment as part of his remit  he was a surprise application given his previous million plus salary 

His role if he gets the job could be as a replacement for Anne as Ceo with another appointment for recruitment

Although Bevington's background is PR he moved from that role to managing director of Club England it was called which reading the description sounds like more of a sporting director type role. He did that role for 5 years 

22 minutes ago, grumpyespana said:

You have just got to laugh sometimes you would think we were Real Madrid, it would not matter who we brought in some if they are supporters would say things were black instead of white you cannot please everyone lol.

This 

You really have to laugh at the amount of people on this thread questioning AB 's credentials. 

1 hour ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

This. Exceptionally elegant and astute player, I always thought.

Was always something I noticed about Hearts as a kid - up to my late twenties/early thirties. We always had really strong defenders and keepers. Centrehalf/Centreback/Sweeper positions have been just remarkable, and we had some run from my first game in 1986 right up to winning the cup in 2012:

Jardline-Levein-MacPherson-McLaren-Bruno-Weir-Ritchie-Locke-Pressley-Webster-Berra-Zaliukas 

Some were better than others in that list, but what’s remarkable is it’s an unbroken chain of what you would class as quality, I think. There were some poor players in there too in amongst that lot, like Petric, and James, and some some half decent guys like McManus, McKenna and Bouzid, but that’s who I have watched since I was seven up to 32 y/o. The only possible break in that chain I think was Petric and James, but I think Locke and Pressley we’re starting to play further back and move closer in (respectively) to replace them before too long. I’ve always thought that, that was a big part in our consistency over the years, as that sort of continuity is invaluable. You aim to always have at least three good quality centrebacks in your squad at all times, preferably four with one being an older head and another a young kid learning the trade. When we were docked points and slapped with a registration ban, that chain was broken, and we have never managed to start a new one of sufficient quality ever since. In an ideal world, you only ever replace one from the unit at any time and the continuity continues.

Had hoped that Berra and Souttar might have been the start of a new chain, but alas, circumstances again conspire against us. :( 

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

A read of this article will tell you why Bevington would be a good fit. When you read it you might see things that you recognise as it is basically the Hearts five year plan that was aborted when RN left.

Now, RN is back. Craig Gordon says there is a project beginning, and Bevington - at Middlesborough - was effectively implementing what was the Hearts five year plan when AB took over. Hardly surprising that he would be a front runner.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/adrian-bevington-gone-pressing-need-17466834

Article about Bevington and his time at Boro here:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/adrian-bevington-gone-pressing-need-17466834

Had to cut serious costs by the sounds of it. 

"

The idea was to get a leaner Boro to operate smarter in a tightening financial landscape and get more bang for their buck on the pitch, signing young, hungry players on the way up in terms of talent and pricetag.

After a generation where the default was spending over the odds for journeymen with little impact or resale value, the prospect of finding young gems and harnessing their potential was an attractive one."

All I could think about when reading the word journeymen was Damour.

Rick Sanchez
3 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

"

The idea was to get a leaner Boro to operate smarter in a tightening financial landscape and get more bang for their buck on the pitch, signing young, hungry players on the way up in terms of talent and pricetag.

After a generation where the default was spending over the odds for journeymen with little impact or resale value, the prospect of finding young gems and harnessing their potential was an attractive one."

Hopefully Neil Warnock rips apart his work and decides to sign him again :laugh:

4 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

"

Did he sign Damour?

27 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Levein on the sportsound podcast indicated Last week that we would be looking to appoint a ceo and sporting director

LEVEIN AGAIN sticking his 2p in. He should be in hiding in a cave somewhere because of the damage he's done to Hearts.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Did he sign Damour?

Nope. Relating it to us signing Damour.

Edited by Goodfella

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The right credentials?  For what, precisely?

Gimme an H...

From the EEN:

Hearts will interview more people for their sporting director job this week after deciding not to proceed with some candidates.

David Weir and Adrian Bevington were both in the running but the Evening News has learned that Bevington is no longer a contender.

He carries an impressive background having worked with the English FA and Welsh FA, plus his most-recent role as head of recruitment operations at Middlesbrough.

Just now, Gimme an H... said:

From the EEN:

Hearts will interview more people for their sporting director job this week after deciding not to proceed with some candidates.

David Weir and Adrian Bevington were both in the running but the Evening News has learned that Bevington is no longer a contender.

He carries an impressive background having worked with the English FA and Welsh FA, plus his most-recent role as head of recruitment operations at Middlesbrough.

😆Well there you go, interesting to see who we go for then.

1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

LEVEIN AGAIN sticking his 2p in. He should be in hiding in a cave somewhere because of the damage he's done to Hearts.

Levein was asked a question and gave an answer on what he thought Ann Budge would be looking for. Would be a bit strange if he gave a no comment interview because the questions were Hearts related. Both Levein & Pressley spoke very well and were complimentary in a constructive manner about our club. Time for folk to move on regarding Levein & Pressley ( who I’ve been critical about in the past) and look to the future both players should always be welcomed back at Tynecastle. I’m assuming you’ve never listened to the podcast both were on Mitch , if you’ve not it’s a good listen 👍

Batistuta87
26 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

A read of this article will tell you why Bevington would be a good fit. When you read it you might see things that you recognise as it is basically the Hearts five year plan that was aborted when RN left.

Now, RN is back. Craig Gordon says there is a project beginning, and Bevington - at Middlesborough - was effectively implementing what was the Hearts five year plan when AB took over. Hardly surprising that he would be a front runner.

Was just about to post this. It's a very good read and makes him sound like a bit of a scapegoat for Boro's problems. Sounds like Woodgate took absolutely nothing to do with recruitment and Bevington was the one who shouldered the blame. I think the fact that Woodgate has now left as well probably tells you something. 

To be fair the players who came in are probably the sort of signings we're going to want to make this next season or two as well. They had a couple of loans from bigger clubs, signed a centre back who'd had a stormer of a season the year before, brought in some experience to control the midfield, and somehow poached a few promising youngsters from other teams. 

The bit about not wasting money on journeymen caught my attention too. I just thought of Damour. 

I have no doubt that RN is willing to get his hands dirty when it comes to recruitment so it sounds a bit like the two together will be a good fit. Let's see what happens but I am feeling slightly encouraged if he's the front runner. 

Edited by Batistuta87

:pleasing:to hear Bevington is out. He's not a football man, he's a Press Secretary, a PR man. Not someone you'd want recruiting players. 

I would imagine salary would have been an issue with Bevington. I would hope that Robbie is involved with this process as was hinted at about his relationship with Tony ashgar at Dundee United 

4 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Levein was asked a question and gave an answer on what he thought Ann Budge would be looking for. Would be a bit strange if he gave a no comment interview because the questions were Hearts related. Both Levein & Pressley spoke very well and were complimentary in a constructive manner about our club. Time for folk to move on regarding Levein & Pressley ( who I’ve been critical about in the past) and look to the future both players should always be welcomed back at Tynecastle. I’m assuming you’ve never listened to the podcast both were on Mitch , if you’ve not it’s a good listen 👍

All he is doing is sucking up to the club because no other club would touch him with a bargepole. Levein's diary is full of sitting by his phone and making sure his mobile is fully charged when he goes out to the bookies. Friday : Radio Scotland & Daily Record.

Saturday : TalkSport & The Sunday Mail & The Sunday Post, Waiting on The Sun, Times, Evening News, The Herald etc etc.

Adam_the_legend
34 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

From the EEN:

Shock. Yet another excruciating recruitment process from AB. 

Rick Sanchez

It surely confirms that no sporting director gave the green light on Robbie's appointment. You would think the correct way would be CEO > SD > Manager.

It seems she's doing it in reverse, so she'll need to recruit very well. Recruiting three completely different people before stepping back could be dangerous. 

36 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Was just about to post this. It's a very good read and makes him sound like a bit of a scapegoat for Boro's problems. Sounds like Woodgate took absolutely nothing to do with recruitment and Bevington was the one who shouldered the blame. I think the fact that Woodgate has now left as well probably tells you something. 

To be fair the players who came in are probably the sort of signings we're going to want to make this next season or two as well. They had a couple of loans from bigger clubs, signed a centre back who'd had a stormer of a season the year before, brought in some experience to control the midfield, and somehow poached a few promising youngsters from other teams. 

The bit about not wasting money on journeymen caught my attention too. I just thought of Damour. 

I have no doubt that RN is willing to get his hands dirty when it comes to recruitment so it sounds a bit like the two together will be a good fit. Let's see what happens but I am feeling slightly encouraged if he's the front runner. 

As was I. It would appear - if the EEN is correct - that he is not being considered.