Sporting Director

steve123

5 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Would imagine there is basically 0 chance of Malkay Mackay coming in with budge still in charge. Wouldn't want him anyway.

Why wouldn’t you want him incidentally?  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I assume there will update on this until the court case out come.

Steve McLaren anyone? 

Probs a bit expensive. Ex England manager to Scottish Championship club as sporting director?  Would be good as head coach more than anything. 

Berra than you
6 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Apart from his difficult past, just not convinced he would be any good really. As a manager his record is mixed, and his role at Scotland is hard to judge immediately given that it's essentially a youth program, which will take a while to bare fruit. Not convinced hearts need any more negative press either, which would undoubtedly coke if we were to appoint someone with a past such as his.

10 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Apart from his difficult past, just not convinced he would be any good really. As a manager his record is mixed, and his role at Scotland is hard to judge immediately given that it's essentially a youth program, which will take a while to bare fruit. Not convinced hearts need any more negative press either, which would undoubtedly coke if we were to appoint someone with a past such as his.

No worries.  I would disagree and think he would be a breath of fresh air in our game but decent and respect the explanation and your opinion 👍

Berra than you
2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

No worries.  I would disagree and think he would be a breath of fresh air in our game but decent and respect the explanation and your opinion 👍

Yeah and yours. SD is a hard role for fans to comment on I think cause none of us really fully know what they do day to day. 

Hearing a bit of friction down Easter Road way between Leanne Dempster and Ron the Con. Anne's pal Leanne a shout, maybe. Just saying.

30 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with Malkay Mackay. Everyone makes mistakes. 

TyphoonJambo
19 minutes ago, Des' Dad said:

Hearing a bit of friction down Easter Road way between Leanne Dempster and Ron the Con. Anne's pal Leanne a shout, maybe. Just saying.

Hope not. That back stabbing  snake helped get us in this mess

Ibrahim Tall
38 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with Malkay Mackay. Everyone makes mistakes. 

They do, but given the current ‘climate’ in the country at the moment hiring someone who’s name is practically synonymous nationally with a racist incident probably isn’t a wise road to go down.

Phil D. Corners
46 minutes ago, Des' Dad said:

Is Dempster even a DoF?

i assumed she of CEO for the club to run day to day business. 

Francis Albert
30 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Is Dempster even a DoF?

i assumed she of CEO for the club to run day to day business. 

Of course she isn't a DoF No more than Ann is.

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, Deevers said:

I would rather it was someone with no prior connection to the club in that role. We need a completely impartial forensic analysis of the infrastructure, scouting, coaching etc to ensure that the failures of the past few years are not repeated. The way players are identified as possibles and recruited in particular needs to be changed.   

Completely agree. I think its tempting for people to say JJ should get it or link an ex-player for the role but ultimately we need to get the person who can make the biggest change. Recruitment has been the biggest failure for us since we got into the Premiership and makes or breaks our season. 

Rangers Director of Football Ross Wilson is one who could be an example of what kind of candidate we could look for. He was a scout at Falkirk, went to Huddersfield as the sporting director equivelent, then was signed up by Southampton before ending up at Rangers. Robert Rowan who was at Brentford till sadly he passed away at the tragically young age of 28, had been a scout at Celtic, spent time in Sweden before ending up as Technical director of Brentford. Point being there are even potential Scottish candidates who would probably not be known on here but they could be effective.

4 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

They do, but given the current ‘climate’ in the country at the moment hiring someone who’s name is practically synonymous nationally with a racist incident probably isn’t a wise road to go down.

He apologised and has since worked for the SFA. Folk need to get over it and we certainly shouldn't be allowing a bunch of book burning Maoist types to dictate who we employ. He might be the best man for the job. Of course, there may be better. 

3 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Thomas flogel a sporting director at Austria Vienna 🤔

What a player !! great shout !

David Black
5 hours ago, Des' Dad said:

As CEO, not as Sporting Director.

Howdy Doody Jambo

What about Donald Park, knows Scottish football inside out, must know every player in the professional game and youth players coming through the academy, his contact book must be like an old phone book 

Is already a at the club, any thoughts? 

Edited by Still Tynie

19 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

What about Donald Park, knows Scottish football inside out, must know every player in the professional game and youth players coming through the academy, his contact book must be like an old phone book 

He’d be my choice to head up the scouting department.

Howdy Doody Jambo
6 minutes ago, Deevers said:

He’d be my choice to head up the scouting department.

It's so obvious, must be the best candidate out there, his knowledge of the game must be incredible 

Glamorgan Jambo

Don’t think JJ should be Sporting Director

but think he’d be a really good shout for a director of the club. Someone with a football background in the boardroom would balance things a lot better.

ford donald
37 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

but think he’d be a really good shout for a director of the club. Someone with a football background in the boardroom would balance things a lot better.

He would be a great director additon,great football brain and contacts.Would not wish SD on him.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, jambo_No5 said:

Being mentioned by who?

Waiting on a reply, my nephew is a UEFA pro licence coach and sent me a massage about it. Probably away to his ****ing bed now 🙈🤬.

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Waiting on a reply, my nephew is a UEFA pro licence coach and sent me a massage about it. Probably away to his ****ing bed now 🙈🤬.

Call him wake him up for us all?

Or post his address, one of us will be local enough to pop round

Edited by Phage

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Phage said:

Call him wake him up for us all?

Or post his address, one of us will be local enough to pop round

Yeah I’m going to wake up my 18 month great niece, maybe just have a bit of ****ing patience or gfy, your choice.

ford donald
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Takis Fysass name is being mentioned 😱

Now there is a class player...

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Mibby just rubbing you up the wrong way 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Now there is a class player...

Absolutely.

He’s technical director of the youth dept at Panathinaikos. He’s also involved with New Democracy and was a candidate for them last year. It would be weird to give that up.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Chong said:

Mibby just rubbing you up the wrong way 

Indeed. Lockdown making me even more crazy and splenetic 🤬

Edited by Pasquale for King

15 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

I was all for JJ as SD for the reasons you have stated. I worry that we don't have enough people involved in the football side at Hearts who really understand what playing for our club should mean.I genuinly worry we are losing the passion that we should show on the park. I badly feel we need more "Hearts men" at the club hence why I always lean towards a Robbo, JJ, etc for manager etc. But as you've stated have JJ on the Board is maybe the answer rather than SD. I certainly think the man should be involved in someway.

Takis was technical director for the national team for a while as well I recall 

I really don’t want to trot down the old school usual Scottish suspects path with this or our manager.

I do actually want to keep Stendel also.

Flogel and Stendel would maybe work well 

Dunno how JC got a mention?

Donald Park seems an obvious choice. I think we need to realise where we are and what kind of budget we will be operating under. We dont know what league we will be in . Much as many would love to see the likes of Takis or Tam Flogel at the club it is probably unlikely at this time To say the least. Donald Park has a wealth of experience in the game at all levels. If he is interested I think we would do well to get him. His depth of knowledge of the Scottish game would be invaluable at this time. We need someone to hit the ground running. Not take months to establish knowledge and contacts. The only way is up after the last incumbent. 

Scottish sun Kris Boyd

DANIEL STENDEL had no real feeling for Hearts as a football club.

Being appointed as Tynecastle boss was just another job to the German.

Ex-Dundee boss Neil McCann

He didn’t pull up any trees during his six months in charge either — and that’s putting it kindly.

So let’s not pretend he’ll be any loss when the day comes for Ann Budge to say auf wiedersehen.

What Hearts need now is people who know the club, a director of football and manager who understand what Tynecastle is all about.

And for me that’s Jim Jefferies and Neil McCann.

Former Hearts boss Jim Jefferies

I worked with Jim at Kilmarnock and know him well, and there’s no one with more passion for Hearts than he has.

He’s won trophies there and the supporters idolise him.

McCann was also a Hearts player but more importantly he’s played for Rangers and Scotland and understands what it takes to be successful.

His last stint in management didn’t work out the way he would have planned at Dundee but there were positives to take and he would have learned a lot from it.

Hearts can always attract better players than Dundee and, with the way he wants to play the game, better players could help him make it work.

Whatever anyone thinks about him his team was always well drilled and easy on the eye.

Given time, I’m convinced he could be a success at Tynecastle.

There will be others interested in that job too given it’s still one of the best gigs in the country — regardless of what division they’re playing in.

Hearts boss Daniel Stendel

Tommy Wright might fancy it now he’s away from St Johnstone but I’m not sure an experienced manager like him would buy into the director of football model.

Paul Hartley could be another contender.

Zico has virtually the same back story as McCann and is doing good things up at Cove Rangers having previously done it in the top flight with Dundee.

He’ll have an eye on what’s happening at Tynecastle, make no mistake about it.

I also wouldn’t rule out John Robertson either, even though he’s just signed a new deal with Inverness Caley Thistle.

I could be wrong, but Robbo has such huge feelings for Hearts it would amaze me if he didn’t include some sort of clause in his new contract stating he could talk to them if approached.

McCann is the one I’d go for, though, if I was Ann Budge.

Hearts owner Ann Budge

He can rub people up the wrong way at times and is a fiery character, to put it mildly, but I don’t mind that in people and that’s what Hearts need, if you ask me.

They need someone with a real hunger and desire to be successful.

That’s something he had at Rangers when his mentality saw him lift trophies and win medals.

It took him right to the top with Scotland.

At Dundee he fell out with Scott Bain and had his differences with others.

But, if anything, it only underlined how he was prepared to stand or fall by his own decisions.

You have to admire and respect him for that.

Hearts will need to change the way they do things, whoever they appoint next, because until now it’s not been right.

Ex-Hearts manager Craig Levein

They were far too shortsighted with too many things done to suit Craig Levein.

But crucially he’s gone now and that can only be a good thing for the next guy who goes in there.

I just think there’s a real opportunity at Hearts now.

Had they survived in the Premiership they’d have continued on with Stendel and that was never going to work out for the best.

He was poor and the wrong man for the job, that’s something the Hearts fans must see by now.

But being relegated doesn’t need to be a major disaster as there are so many great things about that club.

They have a tremendous group of supporters who back their team to the hilt and even though they often disagree with me — and tell me about it — they’ll turn up in huge numbers for home games next season once the doors are allowed to be opened.

That’s a loss to the Premiership, whatever anyone says.

McCann on the touchline

But if they can get these next two appointments right then I can really see Hearts moving forward quickly again.

If they can get a head of steam up in the next 12 months I can see them coming back as the third force in Scotland again, without question — but it all depends on who they go out and get.

And for me McCann and Jefferies would be the ideal partnership.

Jim has had his health issues but I bumped into him fairly recently and he was telling me he was fitter than ever and even challenged me to a game of golf.

Having never beaten me in the previous eight games, I told him he still wasn’t fit enough.

I reckon he’d jump at the chance of going back to Tynecastle in some capacity, and helping out the next manager would be something he’s made for.

He’s had his own managerial career, and isn’t short of money, so it’s not like he’d be any threat to someone like McCann.

There would be no conflict there because he’d only want what’s right for Hearts.

That’s something they’ve not had for a while now and I genuinely hope Budge understands what’s been lacking in the appointments she’s made.

Too many people have only been there for their own reasons.

Edited by Newton51

gashauskis9

I feel uneasy about Stendel not getting another crack, but I don’t know if that’s because I rate him more as an individual and PHM than a manager.  At the same time, a big part of me wants to tear the whole thing up and start again.  I’m really conflicted.  

Neil Dongcaster
11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Takis Fysass name is being mentioned 😱

Davie Weir and Neil McCann.

Edited by Neil Dongcaster

Ainsley Harriott
On 18/06/2020 at 17:12, Ari Gold said:

Can I ask why people want jefferies as sporting director?

Because they are a sentimental lot. 

Neil Dongcaster
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

The way things are going we might just want to put this on hold for a while.

We can’t afford to wait. Offers will soon start coming in for the likes of Smith and Hickey. We need a footballing person in to decide who stays and who can be moved on and then orchestrate replacements.

Fortunately due to the ongoing support by the fans we are in a better position to ride out this pandemic than 39 other clubs in Scotland.

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Davie Weir and Neil McCann.

Weir has a decent job at Brighton, Boyd would be happy with that with the Rangers connections and two good Scottish laddies.

On 18/06/2020 at 19:25, Agentjambo said:

Thomas flogel a sporting director at Austria Vienna 🤔

First Vienna FC, a lower league club.

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, Phage said:

Quite clearly just joking around for a bit of banter.

Anyway look forward to your great in the know reveal. Pro badge coach that you know must be in our clubs inner sanctum desperate to spill the beans on our new SD. Pro badge coach and all... lol

What a walloper

He hears stuff that’s not in the public domain was the point.

As go your banter you need to work on that. 
Walloper, good one I’m cut to the bone 🤔😃🙈,

1 hour ago, Jamos86 said:

D212E445-4C30-44E6-AEDC-29F78835E3F1.png

4E401472-31AE-4F5B-B398-AF809B6E201A.png

What a load of shite. 

"You OK Hun PM me" pish.

On 19/06/2020 at 09:22, Still Tynie said:

Good shout.  Not many around that know as much as him.   Certainly would be good for a role of some kind. 

High profile ex FA - what does that mean?

Re Weir - why would he leave an EPL club?

Edited by Jammy T

jamboinglasgow
20 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

very high profile ex FA has emerged as a candidate

Do you mean Mark Wotte? It's the only thing I can think you mean by ex fa