• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Why not? 

He was Director of the Youth Academy when they signed Joel Perriera AND gave him another contract 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈😜.

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He was Director of the Youth Academy when they signed Joel Perriera AND gave him another contract 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈😜.

I've changed my mind now 😁

41 minutes ago, Drumjambo said:

Don't think so...... cheap as chips got us here ..........Hire the best person for the job and it'll save you a fortune in the long run

I bet you could pay McClairs wages wi one of these duffers we've been watching .....pick a name eh i'll go Malury Martin and raise you an Oshinawa and a Vanacek ............I'd guess he wouldn't have authorised half the signings we've made last 5 years.

If we're in the Premier League or win compensation, we'll be able to afford these things. At the moment I very much doubt we'll be spending much. 

Either way I hope Daniel stays/kept on. 

Whoever is appointed i hope they are accountable to the board this time? and their performance is reviewed after every season.

Can't we get rid of John Murray and get a new head scout too? 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I've changed my mind now 😁

I couldn’t help myself there 😆

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Whoever is appointed i hope they are accountable to the board this time? and their performance is reviewed after every season.

Can't we get rid of John Murray and get a new head scout too? 

Let’s hope so, wasn’t he supposed to be retiring at last? Probably JJs worst signing, ironically enough 🤔🙈.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Fox said:

John Colquhoun as Sporting Director?
Leanne Dempster as CEO?

Football Manager / 1st coach Neil McCann?

Assistant 1st team coach Paul Hartley?

No

Niet

Non

Nej 

1 minute ago, 1874robbo said:

Brian McClair

Ah. I’m nightshift. Brain switched off. 
Not JJ for me. Love him though I do. He should be putting his feet up following his health scare.

21 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Ah. I’m nightshift. Brain switched off. 
Not JJ for me. Love him though I do. He should be putting his feet up following his health scare.

Putting sentiment aside JJ wouldn’t be the man for the job.

Wasn't Sven Goran Eriksson linked for our new SD a while back ?

I just hope its someone who really knows what they are doing and can make us more competitive again.

Mcclair sounds like a good shout too.

I would rather it was someone with no prior connection to the club in that role. We need a completely impartial forensic analysis of the infrastructure, scouting, coaching etc to ensure that the failures of the past few years are not repeated. The way players are identified as possibles and recruited in particular needs to be changed.   

Francis Albert

We have paid a Director of Football handsomely for 5 years to reorganize and revamp the "football department". He was even kept on for over 6 months after leaving the post to.put the finishing touches to this and the 5 year plan. What exactly is the urgency of appointing a Sporting Director? The football department should be running like clockwork, a well tuned machine with all the right people in the right places doing the right things. The long overdue report on the football department will no doubt confirm this and be a sort of monument to the achievement of our recently departed DOF.

Appoint a manager qiickly and let him.have some say in what support and organisation is needed to get a first team capable of promotion, or avoiding another relegation fight if reconstruction still happens. Nothing else matters at present. Everything else can and should wait.

complete control
5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

We have paid a Director of Football handsomely for 5 years to reorganize and revamp the "football department". He was even kept on for over 6 months after leaving the post to.put the finishing touches to this and the 5 year plan. What exactly is the urgency of appointing a Sporting Director? The football department should be running like clockwork, a well tuned machine with all the right people in the right places doing the right things. The long overdue report on the football department will no doubt confirm this and be a sort of monument to the achievement of our recently departed DOF.

Appoint a manager qiickly and let him.have some say in what support and organisation is needed to get a first team capable of promotion, or avoiding another relegation fight if reconstruction still happens. Nothing else matters at present. Everything else can and should wait.

Yes

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Your second  paragraph

Is that not similar to the situation with Levein?

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Your second  paragraph

Is that not similar to the situation with Levein?

Levein as DOF or manager? A new manager should report to Ann. He should not be a member of the board. He should have a track record in successfully recruiting players (preferably in the Scottish game) and should select what scouting support he needs (although his successful track record should be based on going to watch matches himself whenever Hearts are not playing  (as JJ and Billie Brown did) and effective use of agents. I don't see much similarity there to the situation with Levein.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Deevers said:

I would rather it was someone with no prior connection to the club in that role. We need a completely impartial forensic analysis of the infrastructure, scouting, coaching etc to ensure that the failures of the past few years are not repeated. The way players are identified as possibles and recruited in particular needs to be changed.   

See my other posts. A repeat of the review and rebuilding of the "football department" is not a priority given the urgency of our situation.  Putting a competitive team on the pitch, one capable of beating comfortably most of the Championship teams or most of the bottom half of the top league depending where we are. Other activities, including the Academy, womens football, community support work etc have to be eliminated or scaled back to focus on the short term priority. If Anderson or anyone lse wants to provide funds specificall for those things then fine.

I have rarely been aligned with Hibs on anything but the Hibs statement on cost cutting said pretty much this - other things will have to be sacrificed for the sake of putting the best first team we can on the pitch. And I think we are in a more perilous position than Hibs.

(And if a root and branch analysis and rebuilding of the football infrastructure is needed it would raise huge questions about what Craig was up to for five years and how he got away with it)

Edited by Francis Albert

9 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

No

Niet

Non

Nej 

I’ll take 4 negatives as a positive! The

line up must have been well matched!

20 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

See my other posts. A repeat of the review and rebuilding of the "football department" is not a priority given the urgency of our situation.  Putting a competitive team on the pitch, one capable of beating comfortably most of the Championship teams or most of the bottom half of the top league depending where we are. Other activities, including the Academy, womens football, community support work etc have to be eliminated or scaled back to focus on the short term priority. If Anderson or anyone lse wants to provide funds specificall for those things then fine.

I have rarely been aligned with Hibs on anything but the Hibs statement on cost cutting said pretty much this - other things will have to be sacrificed for the sake of putting the best first team we can on the pitch. And I think we are in a more perilous position than Hibs.

(And if a root and branch analysis and rebuilding of the football infrastructure is needed it would raise huge questions about what Craig was up to for five years and how he got away with it)

Agreed on most of this. However it’s appeared to me that there was far too much of the “Old Pals Act” going on behind the scenes  - John  Murray and Gary Kirk in particular. My main point is that we need someone who can cut to the chase in post and in my opinion that should be someone with no prior relationship with Hearts.  No matter what, it’s the first team that needs urgent action now no matter which league we land up actually playing in.

Jingle Bells
2 hours ago, Deevers said:

File 13 for John Murray's player recruitment manual, would be a good start.

Francis Albert
14 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Agreed on most of this. However it’s appeared to me that there was far too much of the “Old Pals Act” going on behind the scenes  - John  Murray and Gary Kirk in particular. My main point is that we need someone who can cut to the chase in post and in my opinion that should be someone with no prior relationship with Hearts.  No matter what, it’s the first team that needs urgent action now no matter which league we land up actually playing in.

And I pretty much agree with that. Certainly no preference for old boys and given that the majority of suitable managers and coaches will not have Hearts connections then the odds should logically strongly favour those without. 

Edited by Francis Albert

31 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Levein as DOF or manager? A new manager should report to Ann. He should not be a member of the board. He should have a track record in successfully recruiting players (preferably in the Scottish game) and should select what scouting support he needs (although his successful track record should be based on going to watch matches himself whenever Hearts are not playing  (as JJ and Billie Brown did) and effective use of agents. I don't see much similarity there to the situation with Levein.

Either or both.  If we believe all that has been written he had full say and I'm not sure what earth-shattering difference being on the Board makes.  Perhaps you could elucidate.  I would have thought that with CL on the Board it would be much easier for him to report to Ann as well as the other Board members.  That way everyone would more likely be on the same page.  BTW I'm not suggesting any/every manager shoudl be on the Board, merely that there are pros and cons.

As regards effective use of agents that can only be judged by the success/failure of signings in hindsight and any idiot can be wise after the event.  Loads of promising signings don't work out.  CL maybe did select his own scouts by keeping Murray in place and he also appointed Roger Arnott.  Watching matches may be helpful but  is not wholly necessary these days due to technological advances.  Are you telling me that me that Lennon and Gerrard spend hours and hours watching young lads and seasoned pros in the flesh before making a signing?  Do they have more than 24 hours in their days?

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Either or both.  If we believe all that has been written he had full say and I'm not sure what earth-shattering difference being on the Board makes.  Perhaps you could elucidate.  I would have thought that with CL on the Board it would be much easier for him to report to Ann as well as the other Board members.  That way everyone would more likely be on the same page.  BTW I'm not suggesting any/every manager shoudl be on the Board, merely that there are pros and cons.

As regards effective use of agents that can only be judged by the success/failure of signings in hindsight and any idiot can be wise after the event.  Loads of promising signings don't work out.  CL maybe did select his own scouts by keeping Murray in place and he also appointed Roger Arnott.  Watching matches may be helpful but  is not wholly necessary these days due to technological advances.  Are you telling me that me that Lennon and Gerrard spend hours and hours watching young lads and seasoned pros in the flesh before making a signing?  Do they have more than 24 hours in their days?

There are two cases from recent experiences. . Manager reporting to a DOF who is on the board. Manager/DOF being the same person and on the Board. And in each case the DOF or Manager/DOF being the ONLY member of the board with football expertise. Neither worked. The DOF or Manager/DOF may have been on the same page as the rest of the Board. Unfortunately it was the wrong page and the page should have been turned a long time ago. 

There should be healthy tension and challenge between the Manager (and DOF if we have or need one) and the Board not a pally collective responsibility.

And it didn't need hindsight to judge our recruitment was an utter shambles. 

I think there should be someone on the Board with some knowledge of football but there should be a clear distinction between his and the manager's (and DOF if we have one)  respective roles.

Jingle Bells
13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Mugs game going by Wyscout footage etc alone and a lazy way of recruiting, imho.

9 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Mugs game going by Wyscout footage etc alone and a lazy way of recruiting, imho.

Did I say that?

2 hours ago, Deevers said:

This for me too. Recruitment has been, wit the odd notable exception dreadful

Only one man for me Jim Jefferies with a co management team of Paul Hartley and Sir Rudi.Coaching staff Colin Cameron, Gary Locke, Andy Kirk.

Haringshairband
13 minutes ago, Hendolad said:

Only one man for me Jim Jefferies with a co management team of Paul Hartley and Sir Rudi.Coaching staff Colin Cameron, Gary Locke, Andy Kirk.

:facepalm:

Glamorgan Jambo
5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Agreed. My concern is that Ann needs a bit of help or more precisely challenge in her appointments.

Levein, Stendel and seeing mention of Neil McCann -- all folks who can talk very well and cogently about what they wish to do. Which is great. The cold hard facts of what they've recently actually achieved is an area that she seems to gloss over. In my very detached and not in the know opinion.

complete control
1 hour ago, Hendolad said:

What aboot Donald Ford + drew Busby as scouts  🙄

Henry Smith as GK coach? 🤔 

You might as well squeeze Billy Brown in there as well 

Surely we should be looking at whoever is the Motherwell chief scout to take over from John Murray?

As for DOF I would want someone who won’t be afraid to ask ex-players to scout for us. Surely Rudi, Bednar & Pospisil can find a Czech player better than Vanecek. Fyssas & Karypidis in Greece. Bruno in Portugal. Kello in Slovakia. You get my drift. I think ex-players are an underused resource.

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

I’ve heard worse suggestions tbh. 

True actually. 

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

I’ve heard worse suggestions tbh. 

4 minutes ago, hawaii said:

Surely we should be looking at whoever is the Motherwell chief scout to take over from John Murray?

As for DOF I would want someone who won’t be afraid to ask ex-players to scout for us. Surely Rudi, Bednar & Pospisil can find a Czech player better than Vanecek. Fyssas & Karypidis in Greece. Bruno in Portugal. Kello in Slovakia. You get my drift. I think ex-players are an underused resource.

Sure Big Giles was helping the club scout players in the past but a great call.  Much better the JCs bunch of recommendations to Levein. 

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

True actually. 

:lol: Henry is one of my first heroes  Love how he used to get crunched all the time, down for ages, looked like he could hardly walk then make a save.  In my young mind then that was every week and not maybe twice. 

Edited by Last Laff

34 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You might as well squeeze Billy Brown in there as well 

I'm not a fan of Billy Brown.Comes across as having a bad attitude.Malky Mackay is a good shout.I know he may have a chequered past but he's a talented man.Possibly come in under JJ and learn the ropes for a year or 2.

1 minute ago, Hendolad said:

I'm not a fan of Billy Brown.Comes across as having a bad attitude.Malky Mackay is a good shout.I know he may have a chequered past but he's a talented man.Possibly come in under JJ and learn the ropes for a year or 2.

I was only kidding mate. 

Berra than you

Would imagine there is basically 0 chance of Malkay Mackay coming in with budge still in charge. Wouldn't want him anyway.