Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

I am assuming that a SD does the donkey work in the background IE, Finds players, arranges trials/paperwork/contract negotiations/deals with club affairs etc 

But the manager has final SAY on who is recruited and who plays in the 1st team ?

Any other structure with more autonomy for the SD makes me a bit nervous in all honesty 

Exactly frees up the Coach to be a Coach and spend all his time working with the players and preparing for games and looking at how to hoepfully beat the opposition.

The Coach will say he wants a particular type of player and will name a specific one if he is knows of his avilability otherwise the SD along with the scouts/recruitment team go out there trying to find the options available within our budget.

Once identified they will be put forward to the Coach for his opinion and if he wants one then the SD starts the negotiating.

Shanghai Hearts

What about Davie Weir, think he has some role at Brighton just now. 

Edited by Shanghai Hearts

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Exactly frees up the Coach to be a Coach and spend all his time working with the players and preparing for games and looking at how to hoepfully beat the opposition.

The Coach will say he wants a particular type of player and will name a specific one if he is knows of his avilability otherwise the SD along with the scouts/recruitment team go out there trying to find the options available within our budget.

Once identified they will be put forward to the Coach for his opinion and if he wants one then the SD starts the negotiating.

That im ok with. In principle. 

As long as there is no interference, or conflict, when it comes to the 2 seperate roles.

1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

That im ok with. In principle. 

As long as there is no interference, or conflict, when it comes to the 2 seperate roles.

I suppose that is always a possibilty to have conflict. However as is the case in any business you don't have to be bosom buddies to be able to work well together.

The important part is that their role definitions are clear and I would assume that if the SD is in place before any Coach (assuming Stendel is not coming back) that he/she will have a hand in the selection of our new Coach.

complete control
30 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I suppose that is always a possibilty to have conflict. However as is the case in any business you don't have to be bosom buddies to be able to work well together.

The important part is that their role definitions are clear and I would assume that if the SD is in place before any Coach (assuming Stendel is not coming back) that he/she will have a hand in the selection of our new Coach.

Do we really need one the now  ? Get one in when we are back in the league Celtic run.

Cut The Crap

The main thing is that there is someone competent in place to run the football operation, something we haven't really had under Budge. 

Not really fussed whether that person's job title is an old school manager or a fancy new sporting or technical director. The key thing is that the role of securing and registering players and administering the football side of the club is filled by someone who knows what they are doing.

That leaves Budge free to concentrate on cleaning up some of the shitshow she's created over the past 4 years, followed by as sharp an exit from the club as is decently possible.

Perth to Paisley

Michael Stewart is getting less work at BBC and BT closed.

Money where your mouth is time.

Maybe get Preston to head up recruitment 

Terry Mc ? ....as a serious suggestion?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I love JJ but surely he has had his hour.

Michael Stewart, Gary Mackay and Preston. 

Go on give us a laugh 

Bunny Munro

A good appointment here would make a huge difference.

I don't want JJ, that's how you end up with McCann or Locke as manager. Let's leave JJs legacy alone.

Any manager who is worth their salt wants to work under some kind of sporting director. The days of managers taking the training the going to their office and phoning agents is long gone.

What's happening with our scouting department? If we pretend for a second that Levein didn't identify every player during his tenure, then the onus falls on scouts to identify suitable players. Who in the club identified the swathes of absolute dross we've signed over the last few years? I'd much rather see a proper shake up in the scouting department before any manager or sporting director comes in, less we subjected to rakes of more Pereira's, Oshiniwa's, (insert any strikers name)'s, etc. 

complete control
1 minute ago, Kendoll said:

What's happening with our scouting department? If we pretend for a second that Levein didn't identify every player during his tenure, then the onus falls on scouts to identify suitable players. Who in the club identified the swathes of absolute dross we've signed over the last few years? I'd much rather see a proper shake up in the scouting department before any manager or sporting director comes in, less we subjected to rakes of more Pereira's, Oshiniwa's, (insert any strikers name)'s, etc. 

great post

Famous 1874
11 minutes ago, Kendoll said:

It’s that ****ing idiot John Murray who has been at the club for donkeys. Gets away with scouting and recommending shite every year. Wish he would just **** off and resign (was a rumour that he is finally retiring). 

Guest ToqueJambo
24 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

A good appointment here would make a huge difference.

I don't want JJ, that's how you end up with McCann or Locke as manager. Let's leave JJs legacy alone.

Any manager who is worth their salt wants to work under some kind of sporting director. The days of managers taking the training the going to their office and phoning agents is long gone.

I can't be the only Hearts fan who believe that JJ, MCann and Locke would be a Championship dream team and exactly what we would need for that one season can I?

We shouldn't be planning for the long-term here. It's all about firefighting for the next year and that needs people who have been there, done that and who you know will give 100% for the club. After we're out of the fire we can plan long term and get a long-term manager and SD.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bunny Munro
15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I can't be the only Hearts fan who believe that JJ, MCann and Locke would be a Championship dream team and exactly what we would need for that one season can I?

We shouldn't be planning for the long-term here. It's all about firefighting for the next year and that needs people who have been there, done that and who you know will give 100% for the club. After we're out of the fire we can plan long term and get a long-term manager and SD.

I understand where you're coming from but disagree entirely.

We should be looking at next year as a chance to win many of our games and build momentum to carry forward into the top 6 and behind the year after. 

25 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

It’s that ****ing idiot John Murray who has been at the club for donkeys. Gets away with scouting and recommending shite every year. Wish he would just **** off and resign (was a rumour that he is finally retiring). 

Quicker the better a wee chances taking wages for doing nothing.

6 hours ago, steve123 said:

Given we are apparently going to appoint one before Manager is sorted I wondered if worth a new thread ?

Personally I don't have a clue who would fit this if Jim J was a bit younger then def but interesting to hear folks thoughts.

Mods if you think this should be merged with anything please do.

Why do me need to wait for a Sporting Director before we confirm Daniel Stendel as our manager. I’d of hoped that DS would have to be involved in appointing a SD. In my opinion after the owners the most important person at any club is the Manager. 

Owner/CEO —————————Board Members

I  
     I

Manager——————-Asst. Manager

Coaching Staff

Fitness/ Scouting

Full-time Playing Staff

I
           V
Sporting Director————Football Office Staff, Football Player contracts, Academy, Women’s Team, SPFL and SFA contact and all other  functions in assisting the Manager and the footballing admin of the team and football business.

Edited by mitch41

A_A wehatethehibs

I think Brian McClair is a quite interesting shout. Could be the right man, right place, right time since he lives in Edinburgh. Possibly had too long out the game though, maybe moved on.

Make JJ a non-exec director / senior adviser, he needs a permanent seat in the posh seats with a free top end meal at that top floor restaurant every matchday. And whoever is manager should have to meet with JJ once a week like the Prime Minister meets the Queen. That man is Royalty at this football club. In fact get one of the stands named after him while he is still here with us. Why wait. If not the Main, maybe the Gorgie stand -> Jim Jeffries Stand. 

John mcCartney
4 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

it makes me sick whenever this imposter enters my mind

WHY IS HE STILL AT THE CLUB

We are making a good decision to identify and appoint a Sporting Director in advance of the managerial appointment

Whether that is the right way to go in appointing one is a different matter

He has to be involved in the selection of a manager not manager first then the director

7 hours ago, Shanghai Hearts said:

What about Davie Weir, think he has some role at Brighton just now. 

A bit too hun-ish for me tbh

6 hours ago, complete control said:

Do we really need one the now  ? Get one in when we are back in the league Celtic run.

Tell AB that she is the one looking for an SD.

Lone Striker

CL said that he struggled to do both jobs, and he knew the place inside out - so I'd imagine AB has decided that she wouldn't want to ask a football manager to do both in the future.  Plus...  AB  was basically on her own after sacking CL, and its pretty likely that she got Daniel's name from JKB - not an ideal way to do recruitment.    Managers tend to move on (or get head-hunted by bigger clubs) more frequently than a SD/DoF does,  so AB  may well feel that having some football stability is pretty important.

No idea about  candidates ... but someone with knowledge of  (& contacts in) schools and boys club football would be a big help, and we might stand a chance of signing some potential good young goal scorers for a change. Hibs seem to nab quite a few ...... seems we can't or don't

Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I think Brian McClair is a quite interesting shout. Could be the right man, right place, right time since he lives in Edinburgh. Possibly had too long out the game though, maybe moved on.

Make JJ a non-exec director / senior adviser, he needs a permanent seat in the posh seats with a free top end meal at that top floor restaurant every matchday. And whoever is manager should have to meet with JJ once a week like the Prime Minister meets the Queen. That man is Royalty at this football club. In fact get one of the stands named after him while he is still here with us. Why wait. If not the Main, maybe the Gorgie stand -> Jim Jeffries Stand. 

Brilliant 

1 hour ago, HMFC 86 said:

A bit too hun-ish for me tbh

:what:Probably the best Hearts centerhalf in my lifetime and a cup winning legend. The horse is welcome at Tynie anytime. 

Rick Sanchez

I honestly can't think off the top of my head a sporting director who you could say would be a perfect match with Stendel.

Leveins Battalion
7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

:what:Probably the best Hearts centerhalf in my lifetime and a cup winning legend. The horse is welcome at Tynie anytime. 

100% 

2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I honestly can't think off the top of my head a sporting director who you could say would be a perfect match with Stendel.

Stendels the problem then. 

Rick Sanchez
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Stendels the problem then. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the sporting director is the one who sets the vision, signs the players and appoints the head coach?

I'm sure the head coach might have some input in preference but I can't see a SD signing players from Wolfsburg II etc?

And let's be honest, Avijdaj and Langer were pish. Limited playing time, granted.

6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the sporting director is the one who sets the vision, signs the players and appoints the head coach?

I'm sure the head coach might have some input in preference but I can't see a SD signing players from Wolfsburg II etc?

And let's be honest, Avijdaj and Langer were pish. Limited playing time, granted.

Think we actually in agreement. 

26 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Up to you. Good player for us certainly, just seemed to immerse himself in The rankgers stuff too much

Byyy The Light
8 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Brian McClair would be a great appointment. 

Loving this shout. +1 for me.

A Shoreditch Heart
8 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Brian McClair would be a great appointment. 

yeah he would be, but can't see it happening tbh

A Shoreditch Heart

Let's go with Steven Naismith as player manager and bring in Davie Weir together with Gary Naysmith 

Francis Albert

The last thing we need now is to be focusing on the appointment of a Sporting Director.  Let's get a manager and then sort out who if anyone we need for the rest later.

12 hours ago, steve123 said:

Leeann Dempster anyone 😂😂

Would have her as a ceo certainly has experience of

running football clubs

1 hour ago, HMFC 86 said:

Up to you. Good player for us certainly, just seemed to immerse himself in The rankgers stuff too much

He was their captain but he was never bigoted or mouthy. Maybe tried to referee a few matches but that was his job. Davie Weir was different class for everyone and would still turn out to play for Scotland if his legs would let him. I'm sure he regards Hearts very highly. I don't doubt that. 

12 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Craig levein anyone? Decent record and wouldn’t break the babk

Hear hes free at the moment......    :)

John Colquhoun as Sporting Director?
Leanne Dempster as CEO?

Football Manager / 1st coach Neil McCann?

Assistant 1st team coach Paul Hartley?

12 hours ago, steve123 said:

Yea hence I wonder why she is not just going for a manager !!

Cause Stendel is a coach and has no appetite to sort contracts etc  Great shout McClair and JJ for the board

12 hours ago, Cruyff said:

We'll get a cheap as chips one of them as well. 

Don't think so...... cheap as chips got us here ..........Hire the best person for the job and it'll save you a fortune in the long run

I bet you could pay McClairs wages wi one of these duffers we've been watching .....pick a name eh i'll go Malury Martin and raise you an Oshinawa and a Vanacek ............I'd guess he wouldn't have authorised half the signings we've made last 5 years.