Sporting Director

steve123

Given we are apparently going to appoint one before Manager is sorted I wondered if worth a new thread ?

Personally I don't have a clue who would fit this if Jim J was a bit younger then def but interesting to hear folks thoughts.

Mods if you think this should be merged with anything please do.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• JamboAl

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brian McClair would be my choice. Proven track record with youth development. Money could be a stumbling block though. 

As for JJ, get him on the board as an adviser. 

I'm reasonably happy that this is the correct thing to do, though we've heard it before and got a manager first. I'd like the manager to manage the first team only. Someone doing all the surrounding stuff is better for us all but the relationship between the two is crucial. You wouldn't want a manager to have someone foisted on him that he can't work with. If a Sporting Director/DOF is appointed before a new manager or if Daniel is staying and involved in the process there's less chance of this happening.

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Brian McClair would be my choice. Proven track record with youth development. Money could be a stumbling block though. 

Was certainly mentioned last time and appears to be a solid candidate. 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

Could be a good shout.

Im sure he lives up here also, is he employed at the moment?  Don’t think wages would be a problem if he’s not earning.

Just now, 1874robbo said:

Could be a good shout.

Im sure he lives up here also, is he employed at the moment?  Don’t think wages would be a problem if he’s not earning.

I’ve seen him in Stockbridge a few times. Must live or did live, down that way. Not been missing many meals since he was last in the public eye. 

1 minute ago, 1874robbo said:

Could be a good shout.

He would be a great shout actually, if I remember rightly somebody on the forum was a friend or relative of his and made enquiries.

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

Would love JJ, but I can't see us going for an SD any time soon.

Dunno if you've not seen it on the Next Manager thread Locky but AB saying we're gonna appoint one before the managerial situation is sorted and she'll understand if DS can't wait

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’ve seen him in Stockbridge a few times. Must live or did live, down that way. Not been missing many meals since he was last in the public eye. 

I know he frequented a boozer in the cannonmills area, can’t remember the name.

Just now, Jamhammer said:

Dunno if you've not seen it on the Next Manager thread Locky but AB saying we're gonna appoint one before the managerial situation is sorted and she'll understand if DS can't wait

Really? Missed that Jamhammer, cheers!

Still find that a little mad. Surely we need to find out if Stendel is staying first, and if not, work on a new head coach. Can't imagine what a Sporting Director could actually be doing in the current cirumstances.

5 minutes ago, Locky said:

Still find that a little mad. Surely we need to find out if Stendel is staying first, and if not, work on a new head coach. Can't imagine what a Sporting Director could actually be doing in the current cirumstances.

According to Ann the Sporting Director is going to be sorting out signings and dealing with anyone that wants to leave !!

Edited by steve123

Berra than you
4 minutes ago, Locky said:

I think it makes sense to have a SD before your manager in general. But I think circumstances during the season meant we needed a manger asap. Had we been say 6th when levein left, I think we would already have a SD in place. Going by Ann's comments, Stendel seems to think he has unfinished business. It will come down to money I would inagine.

Just now, steve123 said:

According to Ann the Sporting Director is going to be sorting out signings and dealing with anyone that wants to leave !!

If they want to leave, Ann should politely tell her to **** off herself. :) 

Just now, Locky said:

If they want to leave, Ann should politely tell her to **** off herself. :) 

Yea she also says coach and Sporting Director need to be able to work together so I am not sure she is as keen on Stendel staying as some on here are !!

Interesting about McClair. The very few times I've heard him speak he seems very articulate and knowledgeable.

No surprise that the SFA got rid of him then.

Gordon Starchan thought very highly of him I seem to remember.

Batistuta87

I really have no idea who I'd want as DoF. Someone with some good recruitment experience is about all I ask to be honest, because that side of things has been utterly woeful at Hearts for some time now. Maybe McClair could be a good candidate - I don't know a massive amount about what he's done since retiring but know he was head of the Man Utd Academy for a few years and has to have had experience of scouting and recruiting players there. 

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I really have no idea who I'd want as DoF. Someone with some good recruitment experience is about all I ask to be honest, because that side of things has been utterly woeful at Hearts for some time now. Maybe McClair could be a good candidate - I don't know a massive amount about what he's done since retiring but know he was head of the Man Utd Academy for a few years and has to have had experience of scouting and recruiting players there. 

It is vital we have someone who can shake up recruitment. I would want someone who can do that, has a forward thinking vision that will get the academy producing the best players it can and getting them into the first team. I know that sounds obvious but it still needs to be done. Stendel talked about how unprofessional every had become at the club when he came, I would a Sporting director would look to bring the club to being a highly professional environment. 

I could see it being someone who no one has heard of, as most sporting directors are not known. I would even suggest looking to Germany as they normally have high quality sporting directors.

Fluorescent Adolescent

Don’t know where the McClair chat has come from but he appears to be an interesting candidate. If he is a candidate.

Tokyo Drifter
57 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Given we are apparently going to appoint one before Manager is sorted I wondered if worth a new thread ?

Personally I don't have a clue who would fit this if Jim J was a bit younger then def but interesting to hear folks thoughts.

Mods if you think this should be merged with anything please do.

I didn't even know we were in the market for one. What's Craig Levein up to these days?

Ricardo Shillyshally

How many DOFs in the SPFL are household names? I honestly couldn't name another. (Maybe WGS at Scumdee if that's his role).

On the face of it, its a very important job, but elsewhere, it seems to be an admin job for for no marks

Edited by Ricardo Shillyshally

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We're going to be kinda skint lads🤷

Yea hence I wonder why she is not just going for a manager !!

Respecting the fact that we will be financially constrained appointing a SD is the right thing to do and they would obviously lead the search for a manager if Stendel is leaving. This is what should have happened last autumn and it's encouraging that we might be finally learning from our mistakes. No idea who but McClair would undoubtedly be an interesting candidate. 

50 minutes ago, Locky said:

Unless he is going to be consulted on the SD appointment it seems to me a pretty clear indication he's off. I suppose though, as he's now out of contract that, before giving him a new one, if he wants it that he knows who he'll be working for/under. **** knows really

2 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Yea hence I wonder why she is not just going for a manager !!

We'll get a cheap as chips one of them as well. 

I am not a fan but I am old school.

I want an owner who knows their shit, and is 100% focused on winning (first team)

A manager who is the boss, what he says goes.  Does all the signings and is a born winner and will never accept defeat

An assistant manager 

A couple of top class scouts who know theirs arse from their elbow

Coaches who know their arse from their elbow

A competent medical team who know where the arse and elbow is situated anatomically

A captain who is tough as nails and will accept nothing but victory

A group of well-disciplined hungry players who will never accept defeat

Do we really need a sporting director in the championship? Really?

Rick Sanchez

I would prefer the manager signs the players tbh but if you're looking for a man to show players around, sell the club, provide advice and oversee things...

Jim Jefferies is that man, if he has the health to do it. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

I saw him on George St a year or so ago and he looked like a vagrant. He has been around the game a long time and will have many good contacts so could well be worth going for if we can afford him and he's interested.

How many clubs In Scotland actually have Sporting Directors ? 

It appears that AB wants one and Stendel has said he would like to focus on the 1st team

Just trying to figure out why other teams don’t need one and haven’t had any issues not having one

in these times do we really need to be paying out another big salary ?

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I want an owner who knows their shit, and is 100% focused on winning (first team)

A manager who is the boss, what he says goes.  Does all the signings and is a born winner and will never accept defeat

An assistant manager 

A competent medical team who know where the arse and elbow is situated anatomically

Hopefully we  wont be there after the court action but if we are then hopefully not for long. So you have to plan for the future.

Just now, wavydavy said:

Hopefully we  wont be there after the court action but if we are then hopefully not for long. So you have to plan for the future.

I would even compromise and say ok if this is to be at least wait until we are a top flight club again.  We already have about 5 million people at the club sharpening pencils, straightening chairs and playing solitaire.  Money does not fall from a magic tree and to quote  Mrs thatcher 'there are no pennies from heaven'.

8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

An assistant manager 

We had DoF in the Championship last time which done us no harm!

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Stendel will be waiting to see which league we are in as it will affect how much we offer him. Remember his is technically out of contract as things stand at the moment unless we are still in the SPFl.

AB has said she would understand if he wants to take another job instead of waiting on the outcome of our situation which is about as reassuring as a doomed coach getting the full backing of the board.

I think she is appointing a SD to assist with finding out next Manager, just my thoughts I have nothing to back this theory.

Edited by wavydavy

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I would even compromise and say ok if this is to be at least wait until we are a top flight club again.  We already have about 5 million people at the club sharpening pencils, straightening chairs and playing solitaire.  Money does not fall from a magic tree and to quote  Mrs thatcher 'there are no pennies from heaven'.

There are from James Anderson though.

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

How many clubs In Scotland actually have Sporting Directors ? 

It appears that AB wants one and Stendel has said he would like to focus on the 1st team

Just trying to figure out why other teams don’t need one and haven’t had any issues not having one

in these times do we really need to be paying out another big salary ?

Hibs have one, Ross County sacked their one due to cutbacks because of Covid19. Rangers have one. Kilmarnock have one (though under the title of Head of football operations.) And those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Just now, Locky said:

We had DoF in the Championship last time which done us no harm!

For the first 12 months though Locky and then most certainly it did do harm.  He was bigger than the club and done absolutely **** all.

If we need anyhting more than the basics to negotiate ourselves out of this we are even more ****ed than I imagine:

ICT

Dundee 

Ayr

Dunfermline

Arbroath

Morton

Alloa 

QoS

Raith Rovers

And throw in the Tunnicks Tea Cake cup.

Midloth_Iain
10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I would prefer the manager signs the players tbh but if you're looking for a man to show players around, sell the club, provide advice and oversee things...

Jim Jefferies is that man, if he has the health to do it. 

and do Locky out a job ? 😆

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

There are from James Anderson though.

I never realised it was copyrighted?

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Hibs have one, Ross County sacked their one due to cutbacks because of Covid19. Rangers have one. Kilmarnock have one (though under the title of Head of football operations.) And those are just the ones off the top of my head.

I don’t know if it does really carry any benefit Vs another salary in all honesty 

Times change, it was never a thing of the past. Seems to be more common place now.

suppose it really depends on the working relationship between the SD and HC or Manager as to whether it would be a success or not

Ex member of the SaS

Never thought an SD was worth the money. We never had one years ago and the manager identified and recruited players, what has changed?

Once the manager has shown how he wants the players to play it's up to his back room staff to take training and leaves him free for other things, He can still take a certain amount of training as finding and signing players only come around transfer windows.

Rick Sanchez
3 minutes ago, Ruud Krol said:

and do Locky out a job ? 😆

Surely there's a position for a motivator? 😆

I just recall Stendel saying he wasn't used to making so many phone calls and being so involved in the recruitment.

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Great shout he would have some amount of contacts for getting good players. Would also prove handy if we need to find a new manager.

Someone low key that can do the job for me.A man that does his stuff quietly behind the scenes and sorts everything out without feeling the need to try  being head coach as well.No conflict between head coach and SD please.

Edited by vegas-voss

Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

Never thought an SD was worth the money. We never had one years ago and the manager identified and recruited players, what has changed?

Once the manager has shown how he wants the players to play it's up to his back room staff to take training and leaves him free for other things, He can still take a certain amount of training as finding and signing players only come around transfer windows.

1st paragraph is a great point. What has really changed now that didn’t happen back then to merit having it ?

I am assuming that a SD does the donkey work in the background IE, Finds players, arranges trials/paperwork/contract negotiations/deals with club affairs etc 

But the manager has final SAY on who is recruited and who plays in the 1st team ?

Any other structure with more autonomy for the SD makes me a bit nervous in all honesty 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

It is vital we have someone who can shake up recruitment. I would want someone who can do that, has a forward thinking vision that will get the academy producing the best players it can and getting them into the first team. I know that sounds obvious but it still needs to be done. Stendel talked about how unprofessional every had become at the club when he came, I would a Sporting director would look to bring the club to being a highly professional environment. 

I could see it being someone who no one has heard of, as most sporting directors are not known. I would even suggest looking to Germany as they normally have high quality sporting directors.

100%. I'd like Stendel to stay and he's openly admitted that he doesn't know how to recruit, so on that basis I'd like someone who can do that work for him and who has done it before for someone else.  

Edited by Batistuta87

Jambo 4 Ever
17 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Craig levein anyone? Decent record and wouldn’t break the babk

😂