Daniel Stendel

wattie exploited

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Preaching to the choir here mate. Just playing devils advocate.

Avdijaj was even worse than Langer.

I was thinking Avdijaj was his worst decision until I remembered continuing to pick Pereira.

I get that many liked Stendel, I did myself, but this whole thing is now negative, destructive and divisive.

He's not our manager, he isn't going to be our manager, so the people going on and on about him are just pains in the hole now.

We get it, but it doesn't matter, he's gone. Let it go, give us all a break.

Edited by Smithee

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• wattie exploited

A_A wehatethehibs

Delighted to have a manager in place now who’s getting the results first & foremost. We are back on the road to winning ways again, after a horrendous few years. No hard feelings to Daniel, he was very hard done by, not getting those last few fixtures to see if he could turn it round. But at the end of the day it is a results business. 

Good luck to him if Portsmouth take him, a tough job there 

Had he stayed he would have got rid of the dead wood and had a season to get a fit, hungry squad ready for next season, playing a pressing game. And he'd have continued to develop as a manager. Yes, defensively was a bit of an achiles heel but it's not insurmountable.  

But I think the decision has to be made as to what style of football a club wants.  Barnsley have gone for the press, for having young players (although thankfully the board has got loans and older experienced players in now too) and our managerial appointments reflect this. 

Glamorgan Jambo

Best of luck to Daniel and hope he gets the gig. The last few jobs he seemed to be on the brink of getting seem to have passed him by for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, Redhelen said:

Had he stayed he would have got rid of the dead wood and had a season to get a fit, hungry squad ready for next season, playing a pressing game. And he'd have continued to develop as a manager. Yes, defensively was a bit of an achiles heel but it's not insurmountable.  

But I think the decision has to be made as to what style of football a club wants.  Barnsley have gone for the press, for having young players (although thankfully the board has got loans and older experienced players in now too) and our managerial appointments reflect this. 

Very much agree. We started with a plan back in 2014, then Neilson left early and Levein utterly failed to adapt and keep the club on mission. Our academy (IMO) looks to be miles off and there isn't a set style of playing which is coherent from academy level to first team leading to a massive adjustment between u21s and the first team - likely why Cochrane, McDonald, Morrison, etc. have all struggled. 

I like the pressing way Stendel had of playing, I think it clearly needed adapting to account for clubs like Accies or St Mirren that have little interest in actually trying to play football, but I felt good with what I was watching. A real shame it didn't work out, I'd be keen for the pressing to be adopting here and to try and get the youngsters playing like that alongside the first team. I couldn't tell you what we're trying to do just now which is pretty depressing. 

27 minutes ago, OTT said:

Very much agree. We started with a plan back in 2014, then Neilson left early and Levein utterly failed to adapt and keep the club on mission. Our academy (IMO) looks to be miles off and there isn't a set style of playing which is coherent from academy level to first team leading to a massive adjustment between u21s and the first team - likely why Cochrane, McDonald, Morrison, etc. have all struggled. 

I like the pressing way Stendel had of playing, I think it clearly needed adapting to account for clubs like Accies or St Mirren that have little interest in actually trying to play football, but I felt good with what I was watching. A real shame it didn't work out, I'd be keen for the pressing to be adopting here and to try and get the youngsters playing like that alongside the first team. I couldn't tell you what we're trying to do just now which is pretty depressing. 

Don't think Robbie will be implementing the pressing game, he's a dinosaur like Levein. 4-4-2 played up to the big man and feed off him olden days shit. 

Edited by Agentjambo

So DS has effectively been offered another trial.......

Given Portsmouth’s position he at least won’t take them to the bottom of the league, which is obviously an improvement on his last job.

3 hours ago, DS98 said:

Preaching to the choir here mate. Just playing devils advocate.

Avdijaj was even worse than Langer.

I never really saw enough of Avdijaj. Think he needed more time. At least had a bit aggression.

I’m in the right guy at wrong time with DS and would like to have seen what HIS team would have been like

manaliveits105

Good fit for him one team city and good passionate crowds - good pub scene 

:punk: play up pompie - pompie play up !

would like to see him there 

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Delighted to have a manager in place now who’s getting the results first & foremost. We are back on the road to winning ways again, after a horrendous few years. No hard feelings to Daniel, he was very hard done by, not getting those last few fixtures to see if he could turn it round. But at the end of the day it is a results business. 

Good luck to him if Portsmouth take him, a tough job there 

Let's see how he does next season. 

JamboAndrew
27 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I never really saw enough of Avdijaj. Think he needed more time. At least had a bit aggression.

I’m in the right guy at wrong time with DS and would like to have seen what HIS team would have been like

Just googled Avdijaj to see if he was one that just didn't work for us.

Looks like we saw as good as it gets for him.

I really liked DS and wanted it to work out. In theory it looked great, but on reflection his signings were really bad on the whole. And he didn't win games.

Robbie will have done what was needed if we go up, and that's promotion at the first attempt. How he does in the Premier league will be the litmus test. But his record there before was good for us.

If he can get us top 4 and above hibs then that would be excellent. The latter is a given, the former I do think is realistic. 

Saint Jambo
3 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Best of luck to Daniel and hope he gets the gig. The last few jobs he seemed to be on the brink of getting seem to have passed him by for whatever reason.

Possibly clubs are looking at his managerial record and seeing one decent season in five and that of the three clubs ue has managed at he has been sacked within 16months. Not sure if I was a club CEO I'd be falling over myself to appoint someone with that track record.

wattie exploited
3 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

We had a diamond Daniel Stendel.... :whistling:

wish he would have been given more time and a proper window to bring players in :rifle:

indianajones

May have been great. Personally i think he would've been. 

We will never know. One of those things i guess. 

David Black
3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Stendel was gash and his headlesschickenpressing a farce.🤣

He had a very good record at Hanover and Barnsley with the same approach. He also at Barnsley had the best defensive record in the league. I think at Hearts it says more about how thick some of our players were/are that he inherited, than it does his style. 

3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Stendel was gash and his headlesschickenpressing a farce.🤣

Worked against Rangers twice and Hibs 🤷‍♂️

He didn't have the players to play that style properly and he did adapt to Scottish football after a few games or so using the high back line. The defending training by tying the players together with rope and wearing goggles to make sure they keep turning their heads for vision seemed to work wonders against Hibs. Shame he struggled against the pish sides but I think he'd adapt to playing against them. He had 3 months, in fact 2 months really once his coaching staff finally joined (he was on his own at the start remember).

Think he'll do a job at Pompey.

21 minutes ago, kila said:

He didn't have the players to play that style properly and he did adapt to Scottish football after a few games or so using the high back line. The defending training by tying the players together with rope and wearing goggles to make sure they keep turning their heads for vision seemed to work wonders against Hibs. Shame he struggled against the pish sides but I think he'd adapt to playing against them. He had 3 months, in fact 2 months really once his coaching staff finally joined (he was on his own at the start remember).

Or perhaps Charlton?

35 minutes ago, kila said:

Seems like a training plan which Robbie could adopt tbh. I like how unconventional it is, both Popescu and Halkett don't seem to be very good defenders, so trying to train good habits into them might be a plan. 

I think DS is clearly an incredibly good coach. I'm seriously gutted it never worked out and Budge didn't have the stomach to let him try it again in this league. I think it would have been exciting and engaging to watch. I think his manner of playing matches fan expectation to a tee. 

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Redhelen said:

I think he would’ve struggled to get the guys out the door that needed replaced as they’re under contract and not really in demand. 

28 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Yeah. Because he is shite. His picking of that feckin poppadom fingered farce ended up with us being bottom.

Decent bloke. Gantin manager.

Correct.

What he really should have done was identify straight away our biggest weakness......and sort that out. Give himself a fighting chance. He didn’t and played JP in goal for 10 of his 14 leagues matches.

He signed 4 players in January.....2 were completely honking.....one is playing at a level so low I’d fancy my chances at getting a game for a team in that league. 

All he had to do was sign a reasonable GK and I doubt we’d be where we are today......

But no....he went all press and won 2 points from a possible 12 from the teams just above us. He was a one trick pony and he didn’t get the fact it wasn’t working for a team in our position.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Possibly clubs are looking at his managerial record and seeing one decent season in five and that of the three clubs ue has managed at he has been sacked within 16months. Not sure if I was a club CEO I'd be falling over myself to appoint someone with that track record.

That’s pretty average these days, doesn’t stop some of the guys down south getting multiple jobs and payoffs. Look at Heckingbottom who with a decent response over the next few weeks might get the Sheffield job permanently 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈?!?!

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, kila said:

Was it beer goggles he gave them? Defensively we actually got worse under Stendel.

What really helped against both Hibs and Rangers was having Boyce, Washington, Naismith, Uche and Walker to choose from in an attacking sense, as opposed to just Steven McLean and Craig Wighton and maybe one or two of the others half fit recovering from injury, which was the case for much of the season. Washington in particular was perfect for his game and we originally signed him because of those qualities. Shame he was out for so long.

Edited by ToqueJambo

24 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Defensively we actually got worse under Stendel.

We came from behind under Stendel though, something that was quite alien to the team prior.

All I think is Stendel had something about him and deserved more time. I guess we'll never know now, but can keep an eye on Pompey and ponder.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, kila said:

We came from behind under Stendel though, something that was quite alien to the team prior.

All I think is Stendel had something about him and deserved more time. I guess we'll never know now, but can keep an eye on Pompey and ponder.

With more time and if he changed his view of the goalie sooner I'm sure we would have stayed up. Even with 24 pts to play for after St Mirren I thought we'd stay up but it's impossible to know how he would have done as you say. I'd take him back if he does well elsewhere as there were signs he could get us playing well, just not in a relegation battle.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

With more time and if he changed his view of the goalie sooner I'm sure we would have stayed up. Even with 24 pts to play for after St Mirren I thought we'd stay up but it's impossible to know how he would have done as you say. I'd take him back if he does well elsewhere as there were signs he could get us playing well, just not in a relegation battle.

Agreed!

Glamorgan Jambo
41 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s pretty average these days, doesn’t stop some of the guys down south getting multiple jobs and payoffs. Look at Heckingbottom who with a decent response over the next few weeks might get the Sheffield job permanently 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈?!?!

Hecky’s boys shipped 5 goals yesterday at Leicester. A Chris Wilder team never shipped more than 3 goals over his 5 seasons in charge. Hecky ain’t getting the gig.

When you are unable to recognise the major problems such as a decent goalkeeper then doubts will arise especially under a fan base who were pretty clear they knew what to do

Add to this quite terrible winter signings and it began to add up to failure...indeed some of the worst I have seen arrive at the club

To his credit he finally saw sense but it may have been too late though one win would have seen us survive......was that good judgement or just luck in falling into a more solid formation ?

We will never know and he in his later games did try to get us on the front foot with signs of improvement but that's all, signs, not anything anyone can be sure of.

Personally I felt he had to go but there will always be a slight doubt we did not get to see the season out and see where it ended

No axe to grind and wish him well but he'll have to learn from his own mistakes....quickly

Edited by CJGJ

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Hecky’s boys shipped 5 goals yesterday at Leicester. A Chris Wilder team never shipped more than 3 goals over his 5 seasons in charge. Hecky ain’t getting the gig.

That’s why I said with a decent response, its obviously unlikely but it’s in his hands 😆

Stendel still the bookies favourites with sky bet and William hill.

looks like the only issue is length of contract. Rumoured linked With a Ligue 2 club

iwasthere1954
14 hours ago, Salvatori5 said:

Langer was surely one of his players? That was enough to get anyone the sack.

Even without a pre season and a couple of months into the job u would have fancied us v 10 man Hamilton at a packed Tynie?

The boy was clueless.

Yes but Hamilton were 2  0 up when the guy got sent off. 

12 hours ago, Redhelen said:

Barnsley under Stendel or Barnsley now - what’s your preference? 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, iwasthere1954 said:

Yes but Hamilton were 2  0 up when the guy got sent off. 

Both were offside 🙈

pettigrewsstylist

He couldnt keep us in 11th place, despite a window and cash, Abject failure IMO.

Can see why Pompey have panicked and sacked Jacket although it's asking a lot to go up at this stage. On that I can see why Stendel wants security on the contract. Not fussy about Sunderland going up to the Championship btw. Hope Peterborough get their act together or Lincoln. 

7 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

We’ve improved on Stendel with both managerial appointments since his departure, but the player recruitment as also kicked up a notch, he was a fantastic appointment at the time for us, and he undoubtedly moved us forwards, most Barnsley fans were gutted to see him leave at the time, but we’re pushing on to the next level now with every passing transfer window and head coach appointment. He was probably the first successful head coach under this ownership, but we’ve had two more successful head coaches since. 

7 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

We played the better football under Stendel Both are attacking though and go all out for the win.

Under our current manager though we are breaking club records at a rate of knots, so what's not to like!  Our team has got stronger both in the new defence that has gained a year in the championship and some better signings ,  so we have a better team to support 

Obviously we had a better connection with Daniel but that's nothing to do with Val because we can't get in the ground and be part of it.

1 hour ago, Redhelen said:

We played the better football under Stendel Both are attacking though and go all out for the win.

Under our current manager though we are breaking club records at a rate of knots, so what's not to like!  Our team has got stronger both in the new defence that has gained a year in the championship and some better signings ,  so we have a better team to support 

Obviously we had a better connection with Daniel but that's nothing to do with Val because we can't get in the ground and be part of it.

👍thanks for your response 

2 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

We’ve improved on Stendel with both managerial appointments since his departure, but the player recruitment as also kicked up a notch, he was a fantastic appointment at the time for us, and he undoubtedly moved us forwards, most Barnsley fans were gutted to see him leave at the time, but we’re pushing on to the next level now with every passing transfer window and head coach appointment. He was probably the first successful head coach under this ownership, but we’ve had two more successful head coaches since. 

👍fingers crossed for promotion. 

Thank you. Great for you too to have another league champions medal and hopefully all goes well once you're back in the Prem.

Just now, wattie exploited said:

There was stories going around at the time that he was only getting to come to Hearts if he was played every week and Man Utd would cover the biggest part of his wage. This was after the previous stories that Mitchell would only come back to Hearts if he was re-modelled as a wing-back and not an out-and-out winger. He was never the same player when he returned so i can now see why the Pereira rumours were flying around at the time. You can't have another club, even a parent club telling you who to pick in your team. Still think Stendel's biggest mistake was not bringing in a solid central defender to replace the Dundee-bound Berra. 

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

Picking a keeper because he stands higher up the pitch and is good with his feet is just wrong. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, wattie exploited said:

Good grief. Keep an obviously mistake-ridden goalie lacking in confidence in the team because he can play as a goalie sweeper! This just makes it worse.

And I know Daniel didn't say this "Though the 24-year-old initially looked a solid addition.." but did he ever look convincing.? The Man U made us think he'd be good then he started playing. He got away with some fumbles and near things from almost his first game against Celtic I think. I can't remember any great saves. Even Zlamal and Doyle had a couple of those.

• davemclaren locked this topic