Daniel Stendel

wattie exploited

Ibrahim Tall

Where the **** has this Schalke nonsense came from? :laugh:

Schalke II in the Regionalliga maybe, he wouldn’t have been anywhere near the senior job after leaving Barnsley let alone getting ‘relegated’ here.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• wattie exploited

Howdy Doody Jambo
6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Stendel says he’s had apologies for it. Pretty shabby but as ever, no-one would want to see Budge criticised in any way 

Maybe Daniel has other options to consider

Stendel should be apologising to us for some of the results and performances under his tenure 

He wasn't sacked 

12 minutes ago, Dazo said:

No one would want to see Budge criticised ? 😂 you walking about this forum with your eyes shut ?

No he's being sarcastic.

They are a prime complainer. 

1 minute ago, scotty2442 said:

The whole thing has been handled pretty poorly by Ann

Earlier in the week she spoke about getting the sporting director in first,  so I’d love to know what happened subsequently to make her rush through Robbies appointment

Stendel should have been told first that she had decided to move forward with another manager,  he was on a substantial wage and his wage freeze was a massive gesture to the club,  the club could have at least done right by him. 

I now agree with you in the main but would point out that he's not been on a wage freeze since our "relegation", he's been out of contract so not employed by Hearts.

Berra than you

I'm sure it will come out why we moved for Robbie quickly. With rumours initially saying Daniel was off we thought it was that but that turned out to be false. Something must have happened behind the scenes as it's not like hearts under budge to do anything quickly.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

I now agree with you in the main but would point out that he's not been on a wage freeze since our "relegation", he's been out of contract so not employed by Hearts.

Not overly impressed with the way this has been handled

5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Id imagine the urgency is if we are in the premier we have about 5 weeks to assemble a squad and get them ready for the season starting. 🙄

As things stand at the moment I’m sure because we are classed as a championship club we aren’t allowed to train,  so surely that extra week to get the sporting director in the door would have made no difference and whilst players are taking wage cuts we’d need to be really careful about signing players etc anyway

Glamorgan Jambo
4 minutes ago, scotty2442 said:

Earlier in the week she spoke about getting the sporting director in first,  so I’d love to know what happened subsequently to make her rush through Robbies appointment

Stendel should have been told first that she had decided to move forward with another manager,  he was on a substantial wage and his wage freeze was a massive gesture to the club,  the club could have at least done right by him. 

I agree with you here. From afar it strikes me that she's very much acting on her own without advice. I had serious reservations about Daniel managing Hearts next season but I have just as serious reservations about the way Ann acts sometimes. She's like Levein in so many ways, lots of talk about strategies and five year plans, but the reality is some very short term and expensive mistakes taken following decisions taken pretty much on the hoof (I include hiring Daniel in the first place btw).

Anyway very best wishes to Daniel. As a person he is absolutely top class.

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

He volunteered the wage freeze weeks before the SPFL ratified the relegation though

Just now, scotty2442 said:

He volunteered the wage freeze weeks before the SPFL ratified the relegation though

Yes, that's why I said "since our relegation"

Fair play to him for that.

Captain Canada

In my view, it's a terrible way to treat someone and should never have happened. Good to see Daniel has accepted it in a dignified way.

I think having a Sporting Director and CEO will help take some of the responsibility off AB. 

24 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Stendel says he’s had apologies for it. Pretty shabby but as ever, no-one would want to see Budge criticised in any way 

In practical terms it could have been quite tricky tbf. If I were Ann, I wouldn’t hate wanted to tell Daniel till the Robbie deal was over the line. By that time Daniel might have already heard the deal was happening. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

In practical terms it could have been quite tricky tbf. If I were Ann, I wouldn’t hate wanted to tell Daniel till the Robbie deal was over the line. By that time Daniel might have already heard the deal was happening. 

Yep and let’s be honest only 2 people know what’s gone on and the timelines involved. I’m sure Ann tried her best to do the right thing for the club, which must come first and be respectful to DS. Sometimes there is an overlap in these things though. His reaction suggests he hasn’t been treated as what is trying to be portrayed as fact around here. 

36 minutes ago, graygo said:

I wouldn't have thought it's normal practice to call up an ex-manager to tell him who is replacing him.

Oh come on. 

Rick Sanchez

I liked him but no manager or player should have to be begged to come and lay down clauses and assurances to be here.

I base this on nothing but I can also imagine him being pretty high maintenance behind the scenes. Which you can't blame as it is a bit of a shambles.

I think Ann will be happier dealing with a more mellowed out Robbie Neilson. As will any sporting director.

6 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

In my view, it's a terrible way to treat someone and should never have happened. Good to see Daniel has accepted it in a dignified way.

I think having a Sporting Director and CEO will help take some of the responsibility off AB. 

The football side of things isn’t Ann’s main strength and she’s not getting any younger either. I think a CEO and SD is a good way to go. 

Billybuffjaw
37 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Very classy response from the guy, hats off and I wish him nothing but the best. I agree it was pretty shabby but she does have a lot on her mind.

18 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

There was a podcast where our ex captain has said he heard some things that possibly Ann Budge and Daniel Stendel didn’t have a great relationship. He didn’t go into much detail but imo we kept him hanging on and on and then moved like lightning to get our ex manager in Neilson who we know had a great relationship with her. That spoke volumes to me....
I’m not against Robbie Neilson but I feel a chance of something different has slipped through our fingers and of course we’ll never know now. It’s a real slog up here starting every single season knowing you can’t win the league and I felt with Stendel he had no ingrained fear of playing the Glasgow giants and that he’d completely change our mindset right through the club and have us actually going at them instead of our usual gutless, cowardly displays. I’m really gutted at him not getting the chance to have a real go at it with his own team. 
Something told me early on this wouldn’t last very long and it’s turned out exactly like that. 
I wish him well. 

This post resonates with me more than any other. Said with the utmost sincerity 👍

8 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

This post resonates with me more than any other. Said with the utmost sincerity 👍

8 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Me too

The Treasurer
8 minutes ago, Billybuffjaw said:

Very classy response from the guy, hats off and I wish him nothing but the best. I agree it was pretty shabby but she does have a lot on her mind.

Aw come on.

All she's doing is making (right) decisions to keep our club afloat, sorting out a management team for next season, helping to broker a deal to get much needed funds to all clubs, trying to overturn an unfair decision that impacts directly on our club and, in her spare time, trying single handed to sort out the shit-fest that is Scottish football.

I hope we'll see him back one day. 

Once Robbie's finished I'd seriously consider it if he's available 

Mmmmmmmm surely Daniel was a relevant party?

Heart of Midlothian Football Club is delighted to announce that we have this evening agreed terms with all relevant parties for the return of Robbie Neilson as manager.

The 40-year-old rejoins the Jambos on a three-year-deal after compensation was agreed with Dundee United.

A trophy winner in spells as both a player and head coach at Hearts, the former Scotland cap needs no introduction to anyone of a maroon persuasion.

Robbie spent nine-years playing in Gorgie, where he won the Scottish Cup, helped the Jam Tarts to second-place in the league and the Champions League qualifying berth that went with it, and scored a memorable UEFA Cup winner in Basle.

He took over the club’s managerial reins in 2014 and immediately took the boys in maroon back to the top flight with a record-breaking Championship-winning campaign.

A third-place Premiership finish followed the season after, and a return to European football, before Robbie moved down south to join MK Dons in 2018, returning to Scotland with Dundee United later that same year.

He led United to the Championship title last season before deciding to come back home to Tynecastle.

Speaking to the Official Hearts Website, Robbie said: “You don’t turn down the chance to come to a club like Hearts and I’m absolutely delighted to be coming back.

“I had some great experiences here, both as a player and manager, and I’m keen to pick up where I left off.

“Everyone knows there is a really good squad at Hearts and I’m excited to begin working with the players and staff. 

“Finally, I’d like to say thank you to Dundee United for the opportunity they gave me two years ago. I hope the United fans feel that together we managed to restore the club back to where it belongs.”

OmiyaHearts

It would appear something happened, meaning we needed a new coach asap (who is already in the country). I have no idea what it could be, but hopefully its because we're starting training very soon.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/daniel-stendel-says-hearts-apologised-him-over-robbie-neilson-appointment-2892290

Daniel Stendel says Hearts apologised to him over Robbie Neilson appointment

German still faces 14-day stay in Edinburgh

Daniel Stendel has spoken for the first time about his Hearts exit and revealed the club apologised for appointing Robbie Neilson without warning him.

The German coach said he will not hold grudges over his departure from Tynecastle Park and retains positive memories of Scottish football.

He discovered he was being replaced by Neilson on Sunday night after Ann Budge, the Hearts owner, lured Dundee United’s manager back to Edinburgh for a second spell in charge.

Stendel’s contract was no longer valid after Hearts’ enforced relegation from the Premiership, which came after coronavirus brought football to a halt in March.

He stated he would be willing to discuss a new agreement to work in Scotland’s second tier, but that possibility ended when Neilson signed a three-year deal.

Stendel was appointed by Hearts last December and explained that he did not intend to stay if the club dropped into the Championship, hence the relegation release clause in a contract which would have run until summer 2022.

“When I signed the contract, I had already decided not to go into the second division if the worst came to the worst,” the 46-year-old told Kicker. “Since the drop did not take place under regular conditions and mainly because I got to know the Hearts as a really great club, I then offered.

“I could imagine, under certain conditions in terms of staff and philosophy, to stay anyway. However, this has become increasingly unlikely lately, the things mentioned could not be fulfilled, and there are simply too many question marks.

“Nobody knows when game operations can start again. Maybe in October, but you definitely don't want to start without fans. I found out about the commitment of the new coach on Sunday evening.

“Communication in this case was certainly not the best, but in the meantime several people responsible have apologised for it. This does not damage my positive image of the club.”

After returning to his family in Hannover in March, Stendel generously told Budge to keep his wages. He continued working from home without remuneration to help Hearts pay other staff as they cut costs amid the global crisis.

The club will pay United compensation for Neilson, the irony of which is not lost on Stendel. “Then I even paid for my successor,” he joked. “Seriously, I'm not going to complain. I made this decision with full conviction to support my club. I have no regrets about that. I am at peace with myself and the club.”

Many of his belongings remain in a flat in Edinburgh and he plans to collect them soon. Due to United Kingdom quarantine laws, he must stay for two weeks in isolation before flying back to Germany.

“I flew to Germany on March 19 with the idea of coming back in early April. As a result, I hardly took anything with me. In the meantime I have given up my apartment and will soon clear it out,” he said.

“However, I will have to stay in quarantine for two weeks after my arrival due to the Corona regulations in Scotland. So I fly over, sit in the apartment for 14 days and then fly back with my things.

“I paid for the apartment for five months and lived in it for one month. My landlord will also keep a very pleasant memory.”

His own fond memories include two victories over Rangers and a stirring victory against Edinburgh rivals Hibs at Easter Road. Stendel remains convinced Hearts could have avoided relegation if given the chance to play their final eight league games of the 2019/20 campaign.

“In December I started at a time that was certainly not the best. We had four defeats from the first five games,” he recalled. “But we changed the style, improved the cutting edge and saw a positive trend.

“I was convinced of staying in the division. There were 24 points left and we were four points behind. I'm sure we could have done it. Unfortunately, that ultimately remains theory.

“We did too little in the direct fights against smaller teams to make decisive progress. The successes against Rangers with Steven Gerrard were, of course, absolute highlights. Just like the 3-1 in the city derby against Hibernian in early March.

“The atmosphere was just awesome. There is a rivalry like that between Hanover and Braunschweig – but purely sporting, without riots and police operations. Simply a great experience.

“In general, I was very positively surprised by Scottish football. Not necessarily the level, but the mentality, the fans, the whole atmosphere.”

His future is unknown, although he has clear ideas about which club best fits his personality. “I see myself at a club that is enthusiastic, has fan potential and sports ambitions,” stated Stendel.

“I remain open to everything. One thing is clear: the previous experience abroad has been a benefit for me in many ways.”

Jörg Sievers, his Hearts assistant, is also seeking work and the two could work together again in the future. “At least that's the plan, but there are no obligations,” said Stendel. “Should Jörg get an attractive offer in front of me, then of course he is free to decide.”

Most refreshing thing about the Neilson capture is that no one had a clue, no exclusive and days of negotiations. 

I suspect it was deliberate from Ann to wait for deal to be done to tell Stendel, afterall his contract was finished following relegation. 

Let's not kid ourselves and it was the other way round with some big German club sniffing around Stendel would be on a plane to speak to them not driving down to Tynecastle to tell Ann over afternoon tea.

7 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Most refreshing thing about the Neilson capture is that no one had a clue, no exclusive and days of negotiations. 

I suspect it was deliberate from Ann to wait for deal to be done to tell Stendel, afterall his contract was finished following relegation. 

Let's not kid ourselves and it was the other way round with some big German club sniffing around Stendel would be on a plane to speak to them not driving down to Tynecastle to tell Ann over afternoon tea.

Classy.

1 hour ago, scotty2442 said:

That's twice she has been quoted as saying sporting director in first and twice she hasn't done it!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Begging the question since he begins work 1 July. 

Just what was the desperation to appoint Neilson on Sunday?

30 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Begging the question since he begins work 1 July. 

Just what was the desperation to appoint Neilson on Sunday?

I thought might have been furlough related the start date. Don’t think united are back training again

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I thought might have been furlough related the start date. Don’t think united are back training again

Even more so. 

Daniel, I am grateful for you and your guys trying to turn things around and am sure you would have kept us up and prospered in the cup to take you on the first step of the legend status.
Saddened by the way your release was communicated and pleased with your response. Very professional.

Hope we can welcome you back at some time in the future. Good luck.

wattie exploited
3 hours ago, Dazo said:

Id imagine the urgency is if we are in the premier we have about 5 weeks to assemble a squad and get them ready for the season starting. 🙄

thought Dan had a contract if we were in the premier league he would still be the manager so if we do get back into the league in the next month is he still got a contract or is it void ?  :rifle:

wattie exploited
3 hours ago, Dazo said:

just seen his interview and wish his all the best I for one will be following where ever he goes next  :rifle:

wattie exploited
3 hours ago, Dazo said:

sorry double posted here

Edited by wattie exploited

Not as comfortable with this change after reading Stendel's version of events. Given the sudden desperation to get Neilson back, I hope Ann Budge knows something the rest of us don't that made this a must do priority. Stendel showers what he was trying to, more than did his bit when the shit hit the fan, and as a result he deserved first refusal to take the club forward.

Disappointing to read how this has been handled.

I really liked Daniel and was looking forward to seeing how things progressed under him. I also like Robbie and my disappointed in his appointment was mitigated by the rumours that DS had found another job. It would seem that was nonsense and instead we've just treated him appallingly. Quite embarrassed by that behaviour if true. 

Classy response from DS though and seems he's taken it on the chin. Absolutely wish him all the very best, sadly I imagine we'll come to regret this decision...like we have many others over the last few years.

3 hours ago, jambogemz said:

Oh come on. 

Ok, I should have added "before his successor has been appointed"

Fluorescent Adolescent

Quite liked the bloke but he’s no longer an employee of Heart of Midlothian.

My focus is on those who are, tbqhwy.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Ok, I should have added "before his successor has been appointed"

Apologies. I did see your later replies. 👍

2 hours ago, blairdin said:

Not as comfortable with this change after reading Stendel's version of events. Given the sudden desperation to get Neilson back, I hope Ann Budge knows something the rest of us don't that made this a must do priority. Stendel showers what he was trying to, more than did his bit when the shit hit the fan, and as a result he deserved first refusal to take the club forward.

Reading between the lines of what Daniel was saying it looks like we maybe couldn't afford/wouldn't pay what he was looking for if we remain in the championship.

Still should have been handled better. 

5 hours ago, lou said:

Not overly impressed with the way this has been handled

we have become a retirement home for x hearts players if its true gordon is signing. daniel had us playing the type of football I have been desperate to see us playing and if he had been giving the time he would have worked out how to beat the kick and rush teams in our league. Beating rangers twice and that win at easter road was a joy to watch. Ah well back to having nine men behind the ball at home to rantic once again, always backed ann budge up to this point not now.

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Disappointing to read how this has been handled.

I really liked Daniel and was looking forward to seeing how things progressed under him. I also like Robbie and my disappointed in his appointment was mitigated by the rumours that DS had found another job. It would seem that was nonsense and instead we've just treated him appallingly. Quite embarrassed by that behaviour if true. 

Classy response from DS though and seems he's taken it on the chin. Absolutely wish him all the very best, sadly I imagine we'll come to regret this decision...like we have many others over the last few years.

Splendid post sir exactly how I see it.

Hope we're both wrong and we don't regret this decision but it doesn't feel right and sadly I fear a bumpy road ahead. 😐

wattie exploited

well at least Ann B apologised but still pretty crap way of handling this I think Daniel should have had a bit more respect shown to him ,you never know perhaps in the future he might come back again :HeartsManspotrun:

9 hours ago, kila said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/daniel-stendel-says-hearts-apologised-him-over-robbie-neilson-appointment-2892290

Daniel Stendel says Hearts apologised to him over Robbie Neilson appointment

German still faces 14-day stay in Edinburgh

Daniel Stendel has spoken for the first time about his Hearts exit and revealed the club apologised for appointing Robbie Neilson without warning him.

The German coach said he will not hold grudges over his departure from Tynecastle Park and retains positive memories of Scottish football.

He discovered he was being replaced by Neilson on Sunday night after Ann Budge, the Hearts owner, lured Dundee United’s manager back to Edinburgh for a second spell in charge.

Stendel’s contract was no longer valid after Hearts’ enforced relegation from the Premiership, which came after coronavirus brought football to a halt in March.

He stated he would be willing to discuss a new agreement to work in Scotland’s second tier, but that possibility ended when Neilson signed a three-year deal.

Stendel was appointed by Hearts last December and explained that he did not intend to stay if the club dropped into the Championship, hence the relegation release clause in a contract which would have run until summer 2022.

“When I signed the contract, I had already decided not to go into the second division if the worst came to the worst,” the 46-year-old told Kicker. “Since the drop did not take place under regular conditions and mainly because I got to know the Hearts as a really great club, I then offered.

“I could imagine, under certain conditions in terms of staff and philosophy, to stay anyway. However, this has become increasingly unlikely lately, the things mentioned could not be fulfilled, and there are simply too many question marks.

“Nobody knows when game operations can start again. Maybe in October, but you definitely don't want to start without fans. I found out about the commitment of the new coach on Sunday evening.

“Communication in this case was certainly not the best, but in the meantime several people responsible have apologised for it. This does not damage my positive image of the club.”

After returning to his family in Hannover in March, Stendel generously told Budge to keep his wages. He continued working from home without remuneration to help Hearts pay other staff as they cut costs amid the global crisis.

The club will pay United compensation for Neilson, the irony of which is not lost on Stendel. “Then I even paid for my successor,” he joked. “Seriously, I'm not going to complain. I made this decision with full conviction to support my club. I have no regrets about that. I am at peace with myself and the club.”

Many of his belongings remain in a flat in Edinburgh and he plans to collect them soon. Due to United Kingdom quarantine laws, he must stay for two weeks in isolation before flying back to Germany.

“I flew to Germany on March 19 with the idea of coming back in early April. As a result, I hardly took anything with me. In the meantime I have given up my apartment and will soon clear it out,” he said.

“However, I will have to stay in quarantine for two weeks after my arrival due to the Corona regulations in Scotland. So I fly over, sit in the apartment for 14 days and then fly back with my things.

“I paid for the apartment for five months and lived in it for one month. My landlord will also keep a very pleasant memory.”

His own fond memories include two victories over Rangers and a stirring victory against Edinburgh rivals Hibs at Easter Road. Stendel remains convinced Hearts could have avoided relegation if given the chance to play their final eight league games of the 2019/20 campaign.

“In December I started at a time that was certainly not the best. We had four defeats from the first five games,” he recalled. “But we changed the style, improved the cutting edge and saw a positive trend.

“I was convinced of staying in the division. There were 24 points left and we were four points behind. I'm sure we could have done it. Unfortunately, that ultimately remains theory.

“We did too little in the direct fights against smaller teams to make decisive progress. The successes against Rangers with Steven Gerrard were, of course, absolute highlights. Just like the 3-1 in the city derby against Hibernian in early March.

“The atmosphere was just awesome. There is a rivalry like that between Hanover and Braunschweig – but purely sporting, without riots and police operations. Simply a great experience.

“In general, I was very positively surprised by Scottish football. Not necessarily the level, but the mentality, the fans, the whole atmosphere.”

His future is unknown, although he has clear ideas about which club best fits his personality. “I see myself at a club that is enthusiastic, has fan potential and sports ambitions,” stated Stendel.

“I remain open to everything. One thing is clear: the previous experience abroad has been a benefit for me in many ways.”

Jörg Sievers, his Hearts assistant, is also seeking work and the two could work together again in the future. “At least that's the plan, but there are no obligations,” said Stendel. “Should Jörg get an attractive offer in front of me, then of course he is free to decide.”

What a class act. Just makes me even more disappointed it didn't work out. Good luck wherever you end up Daniel. Unless it's them, them, or them. 

Midloth_Iain
Facebook post .......
Daniel Stendel
7 mins · 

🇬🇧 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Due to COVID-19 and the decision of the Scottish Professional Football League (SPFL) to stop the league and send Heart of Midlothian into the Championship my contract at the Hearts is not valid any more. Although my stay at this wonderful club was rather short (and much shorter than expected) I really appreciated working for that club. I was working trustfully together with the board, enjoyed that city and the enthusiastic supporters and sportive-wise we were on the right track also. Unfortunately we couldn’t follow up and continue our path together. I wish this great club, all their employees and fans all the best for the future, hopefully you can promote shortly again and we will see each other again one day at Tynecastle. Stay safe and healthy everybody! Daniel

wattie exploited
2 minutes ago, Ruud Krol said:
Facebook post .......
Daniel Stendel
7 mins · 

🇬🇧 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Due to COVID-19 and the decision of the Scottish Professional Football League (SPFL) to stop the league and send Heart of Midlothian into the Championship my contract at the Hearts is not valid any more. Although my stay at this wonderful club was rather short (and much shorter than expected) I really appreciated working for that club. I was working trustfully together with the board, enjoyed that city and the enthusiastic supporters and sportive-wise we were on the right track also. Unfortunately we couldn’t follow up and continue our path together. I wish this great club, all their employees and fans all the best for the future, hopefully you can promote shortly again and we will see each other again one day at Tynecastle. Stay safe and healthy everybody! Daniel

I cant remember really being so upset about a manager who has left us or been sacked and I have been following hearts 57 years now he would have been a great manager for us under different circumstances off that am sure so best wishes Daniel were ever you end up :rifle:

1 minute ago, wattie exploited said:

I cant remember really being so upset about a manager who has left us or been sacked and I have been following hearts 57 years now he would have been a great manager for us under different circumstances off that am sure so best wishes Daniel were ever you end up :rifle:

Very much the same sentiments wattie👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻.    👏🏻

Unknown user
6 hours ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

Quite liked the bloke but he’s no longer an employee of Heart of Midlothian.

My focus is on those who are, tbqhwy.

👍

1 minute ago, wattie exploited said:

That's all 3 clubs he's managed has fans gutted that he's left. I still believe he will go all the way at some point with a club, but I'd be gutted if it was any of our rivals. 

• davemclaren locked this topic