Daniel Stendel

wattie exploited

4 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

So hes probably just signed a new contract then.

Na, Robs usually right. He knows Hearts well

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

• wattie exploited

hmfc_liam06
11 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Liar!

Ha! The second post is my general thoughts on the SD role, be it Hearts, Man Utd or Cowdenbeath.

Stendel fits exactly how I want my team to approach games, I'd hope any SD thinks the same.

I, for one, will be pretty deflated if Stendel leaves and is replaced by the arch pragmatist Tommy Wright.

I don’t think Ann is convinced by Stendel and she isn’t falling over herself to convince him to stay. Think that says it all for me.

5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

How many did we really lose to balls over the top? Bit of a fallacy imo.

You could say the Hamilton 1st goal. The ball was deflect past us, really unlucky, the its offside and to a guy who was only where he was cos he'd stopped to tie his lace!! That deflection thru happens 5 seconds later, he's no there!!!!

The St Mirren goal, OK but the defenders got to him and made a tit of it, plus it was hand ball.

Most of the goals we lost were mindless errors rather than anything tactical. People saying we lost goals due to high line are being lazy, listening to bore Scottish pundits with no understanding beyond "keeping it tight".

Not saying it was perfect, obviously it wasn't. But firstly, it's a risk/reward system and actually had our keeper not kept chucking it in, it was working (DS's only mistake and its a big one).

Secondly the issue was actually our midfield. Even the players brought it up with DS. The defence had no protection. Look at the difference when Sibbick was on the park and not (even look at first half vs second half in the St J game for best example). No keeper behind them, no protection in front. But that's the squad Levein built.

It's why we had Claire at Rb and Smudge at Cm, we needed someone with discipline and bite in the middle.

Exactly this. Well Put Together Post and fully accurate Imo  

8 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

I for one will be gutted if Daniel Stendel is not giving the managers job as am sure he can do a good job for us .He came in at a bad time and am sure  given the rest of the season we would have stayed up .

according to ,the papers it seems he isnt getting to carry on ,AT least he tried to get us playing attacking football and gave the young guys a a chance ,he knows the players and it doesn't make sense to get another manager in right now no doubt people here will disagree anyway hearts for ever !!!!!!!!!!!!

Not everyone mate 

Fully agree with the Op and the sentiment behind 

Hope he is given another crack at this 

KyleLafferty
10 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

You could say the Hamilton 1st goal. The ball was deflect past us, really unlucky, the its offside and to a guy who was only where he was cos he'd stopped to tie his lace!! That deflection thru happens 5 seconds later, he's no there!!!!

The St Mirren goal, OK but the defenders got to him and made a tit of it, plus it was hand ball.

Most of the goals we lost were mindless errors rather than anything tactical. People saying we lost goals due to high line are being lazy, listening to bore Scottish pundits with no understanding beyond "keeping it tight".

Not saying it was perfect, obviously it wasn't. But firstly, it's a risk/reward system and actually had our keeper not kept chucking it in, it was working (DS's only mistake and its a big one).

Secondly the issue was actually our midfield. Even the players brought it up with DS. The defence had no protection. Look at the difference when Sibbick was on the park and not (even look at first half vs second half in the St J game for best example). No keeper behind them, no protection in front. But that's the squad Levein built.

It's why we had Claire at Rb and Smudge at Cm, we needed someone with discipline and bite in the middle.

I have to disagree, yes stupid mistakes were involved. And to say I’m listening to boring Scottish pundits considering I don’t listen to to any them, I can see what I’m watching, might have not conceded, but watching out back like having to run back from the half way like time after time. And btw two games you have mentioned, were games we should be winning. You see managers come in to teams who look like they can’t defend, and all of a sudden they are hard to beat. He couldn’t do or see that. I like the guy, but I don’t think he’s all that good. Yes he had a shoe string budget in January but how many of his signings were a success? Boyce was a bit meh, sibbick had 1 1/2 half games, the rest brutal. In my opinion which is the key point here by the way, he failed to do the job he came here to do. Managers get the best out what they have, he failed to do that. 

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

The thought of swapping DS for Tommy Wright.

:knife:

46 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I'd be gutted if Dan leaves. I'll

He's a guy who's easy to get behind. I've no doubt he'd have us storming next season.

Folk can point to his results but from what I've heard, its hard to fathom just how dire the situation he walked in to was. Coaches who wouldn't carry out his sessions, players who were all either unfit, unmotivated, shot of confidence or just plain at it. A team who had not been drilled in any kind of tactical discipline for months, maybe years.

And he was alone too. He only had Kirky buy in.

He'd have kept us up. I know he would have. He'd have cleared out the deadwood and brought in fight, like he did with Sibbick.

His team mightnt have won every week but he'd be sending a team out to entertain and fight for us.

He'd also give us a good laugh and I'll bet some great new one-liners aimed at Hibs!!!!

I think he's gone though. Robert Martin reported in the Sun he'll be away in a day or so, and he'll know that if it's true.

So that's that. The SPFL have really, really done us in.

Never forgive. We need to stay angry.

Bringing in some Tommy Wright type character is not the answer here either. Duno who is, but not that prick.

30 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

I want him to stay and get the chance to build his own team ,he would have the advantage of knowing 1st hand what needs to be done. As others have mentioned, he has great passion for the game and that is a big plus for me.

Well said x 3 

The Treasurer

If it's not DS then we could do worse than Holt from Livi.

Has his team well organised and knows the league (whichever division we end up in)

Likeable guy and loved his passion but he just wasn’t right for us. He was too narrow minded in his approach to games and when things weren’t working his plan B was to chuck on another striker. A noble philosophy and maybe a breath of fresh air after Levein but ultimately a failure.

His tactics might have worked at Barnsley but you cant ‘geggenpress’ shite like Hamilton and St Mirren who don’t want the ball and unfortunately that goes for 75% of the teams we play. Old firm games and possible Hibs, Aberdeen away then fine. All other games we needed a different approach. 

Persisting with Joel for as long as he did was criminal also. 

Love him as a person, but his tactics left a lot to be desired. The gung ho approach was suicide. I'm torn. Maybe someone like JJ in as sporting director and take it from there.

12 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

I have to disagree, yes stupid mistakes were involved. And to say I’m listening to boring Scottish pundits considering I don’t listen to to any them, I can see what I’m watching, might have not conceded, but watching out back like having to run back from the half way like time after time. And btw two games you have mentioned, were games we should be winning. You see managers come in to teams who look like they can’t defend, and all of a sudden they are hard to beat. He couldn’t do or see that. I like the guy, but I don’t think he’s all that good. Yes he had a shoe string budget in January but how many of his signings were a success? Boyce was a bit meh, sibbick had 1 1/2 half games, the rest brutal. In my opinion which is the key point here by the way, he failed to do the job he came here to do. Managers get the best out what they have, he failed to do that. 

Your perfectly entitled to your own opinion and I agree that DS hasn’t set the heather alight 

However there are circumstances attached and this is why I think he deserves more time at least 

1/ This wasn’t his squad, it was Leveins squad 

2/ yes, he has to get the best out of the players but bear in mind for the 17 games he had with us he never had his coaching team at his side 

3/ it’s obviously a completely different tactic he is using to what CL used. In fact the entire opposite. So much so, that unless he is teaching 21 Lionel Messi’s, this is never going to transform in a few games. It takes time.

4/ Consistency is the issue he has to work toward. Top games against the so called top teams - battered Rangers twice, took the vermin apart in their own backyard and absolutely pummeled Aberdeen on Boxing Day 

It shows it can be done and when the players play the way he wants them too this is what happens 

5/he done it at Barnsley. You can’t tell me that teams didn’t sit in or play hoof ball against his side that season. No manager who wins a league in the English divisions over a full season doesn’t know what they are doing or are tactically frail 

For the above reasons he needs more time and can get it right. We also need stability and the last thing we need is more change right at this particular time 

PS Oh, and as much as I think Tommy Wright (keep hearing his name) has worked wonders for St Johnstone, he just isn’t the answer for us 

Edited by Hearts1975
Tommy Wright

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Has his team well organised and knows the league (whichever division we end up in)

If we are going to sign the person who is in charge of Livi, its not Holt you would sign.

For everyone wanting the guy to leave and they won't be bothered, did you not watch the 2 games against rangers in the league and the cup, both times he implemented his style well and it showed that with abit more changes to playing personnel and abit more guidance his style would win us more games than it lost. Then he took it to hibs and battered them for long enough at Easter Road. 

I'm sure with his own team of players involved who know his system and don't burn out by 40 mins into the game he would bring us very good success.

The guys very likable and would galvanise the support into fighting against what's going on currently

Loved him being there and the energy brought. Without doubt I want to see hearts play attacking football. However,  I don’t get the argument that as he inherited leveins duds, he couldn’t turn this around. He had loads of time to get results especially with the winter break. Aside from hibs and huns, he didn’t deliver I’m afraid. Due to that I think he needs to move on. 

Here’s another thing and in terms of his commitment toward our club 

Who else would have came in and after the Covid Issue offer to work for no Salary for the rest of the season ? 

Not many would have 

It cant just be about money.

I genuinely think he has came to us not knowing how big the club is or how passionate the support is and has subsequently grew a real attachment to us when he realised how important the club is 

I absolutely genuinely believe that if he is given more time he will get this right.

Glamorgan Jambo

Whatever happens Ann absolutely needs to get some ‘help’ with both the appointment of the Sporting Director and the new Head Coach. She focuses too much on what people say they’re going to do and not on the reality of what they’ve most recently done.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

I want him to stay, with his own squad I'd like to see what we could do.

This.

37 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

I don’t think Ann is convinced by Stendel and she isn’t falling over herself to convince him to stay. Think that says it all for me.

He hasn’t done anything to convince anyone imo 

He's played a fairly major part in our relegation, so i'm not going to shed a tear if he leaves. 

22 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Holt doesn’t run the Livvi team, Martindale runs the show. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

He hasn’t done anything to convince anyone imo 

This and I think we pushed the boat out wage wise which obv is not going to happen in championship.

6 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Whatever happens Ann absolutely needs to get some ‘help’ with both the appointment of the Sporting Director and the new Head Coach. She focuses too much on what people say they’re going to do and not on the reality of what they’ve most recently done.

This in spades, seem a bit rudderless at the moment, Ann trying to do to much , get Sporting Director make him in charge . 

47 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Not so much over the top but caught out with too many players too far forward. Hibs 2, Celtic, Kilmarnock 2, Hamilton, St.Johnstone, St.Mirren. Plus his inability to see that Joel’s confidence was shot to bits was criminal negligence. Playing your big signing, Boyce, out of position is another error. 
Didn’t do nearly enough for me. Had a great opportunity to come in and turn things round but his failure to do that together with the dire performance in Paisley suggest to me he isn’t a good man manager. Our players should have been so up for Paisley yet it  was probably the most lifeless performance of the season. Why? 

Howdy Doody Jambo

The main issue for me regarding Stendel was I think he was nieve when he came in and said how he was going to set up and play from the off, high press

Tommy Wright worked him out in 2 minutes 

Not really bothered if he stays or goes 

Not fussed if he leaves as there is not enough evidence he would be successful in a season that needs a big improvement. If he stays he needs a much better start than last winter (and a keeper that can actually stop shots would of course help).

All roads lead to Gorgie

Whilst the heather was smoldering under his leadership it was yet to become a full blaze, which was disappointing given the expectations most of us had on his arrival.

I was still keen though to see how he would do without some of the dross he was having to work with. If common sense ( unlikely) prevails and we are playing in the top flight then hopefully we will see what he can do given his own players.

Certainly cannot think of anyone else I would prefer - Stuart McCall? No thanks.

I like the style of football he wanted to play. I'm not convinced we have the width needed at Tynecastle to make the most of it and escape the "hard-working" type spoiler that many Scottish fans prefer to footballers but I'd have liked to see what he could do with his own squad...

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

That's what it seemed to be saying in this morning's article in the Scotsman.  (I say seemed to be as I only got a rapid glance before their "sign up and read the rest of the article" message came up.  Aye, that'll be right).  From what I read, Ann has a timescale of mid-July for appointment of the Sporting Director and has started sifting through the online applications.

Ann's been in constant contact with Daniel, so no doubt he knows what's happening.  If he has any problems with a SD, this would be the time he'd say no thanks.  Alternatively, as others have pointed out, it's not a good time to be looking for a job, so maybe he'll wait and see who is appointed first.  As well as what's on offer as well, of course.

I saw the same story in The Herald but there is nothing new in it, just a re-hash of the same story that's been running for weeks.

if he can come up with a plan B for the teams who play for a 0-0 draw versus us then he'll be fine.

personally think us beating H1B5 and sevco was more down to them playing open football allowing us to exploit. True DS's style of play worked then.

I really hope Daniel stays, but I feel at a point now where I'm resigned to whatever happens. Who knows when we'll kick a ball again anyway so it doesn't even feel like we have a manager or team right now. I'll feel the way I did when Cathro left maybe, a real 'what might have been' sort of feeling. Although more so perhaps, as Cathro brought a lot of on himself.

Werner Herzog
51 minutes ago, Blair835 said:

For everyone wanting the guy to leave and they won't be bothered, did you not watch the 2 games against rangers in the league and the cup, both times he implemented his style well and it showed that with abit more changes to playing personnel and abit more guidance his style would win us more games than it lost. Then he took it to hibs and battered them for long enough at Easter Road. 

I'm sure with his own team of players involved who know his system and don't burn out by 40 mins into the game he would bring us very good success.

The guys very likable and would galvanise the support into fighting against what's going on currently

With all due respect, did you watch the game against St. Mirren? It was the worst performance of the season in the biggest game of that campaign. Unfortunately, the results against Hibs & Rangers were outliers in his tenure.

If he goes, it will be a shame as it could have worked under different circumstances. But for me, I think a fresh start is needed.

Yeh let’s go for tommy Wright and go down the Route one type shit again with a big target man.

the guys a Dinosaur and I honestly hope if Stendel isn’t our coach we look for a young ambitious coach who likes his team to at least try to play football.

I'd be gutted if Daniel left being honest. Never seen a support so united behind a manager since Sir Paulo Sergio. 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Holt is a figurehead at livi for David  Martindale.. he doesn’t actually manage them

kingantti1874
30 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'd love it if he stayed. 

A real chance to shape this team into what he wants. 

I don’t think so,  - to play like that would require a total rebuild which we probably can not afford right now.. our only focus is to get out of that division 

I wouldn't be too gutted at seeing him walk. He wasn’t put into a good situation but i expected better. 

Keeping faith with that keeper has cost us big time. Zlamal makes the occasional ricket. That boy was one a game.

His salary means that he won’t be staying. Well into 6 figures by all accounts 

kingantti1874

I just think there is zero chance it will be stendel.. with time and the finances to re-shape our team I think he could have been great, but I don’t think we will be able to pay him what he wants, we don’t have the funds to rebuild the team and in all honesty I’m not sure he would fancy the Scottish championship. 

Gutted but a clean start will be best for all concerned  

Sounds like he wants to stay. I want him to stay.

--

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/daniel-stendel-i-want-finish-job-hearts-it-will-be-ann-budges-decision-2886808

Daniel Stendel: 'I want to finish the job at Hearts but it will be Ann Budge's decision'

Manager speaks on his future for the first time since relegation

The future of Hearts manager Daniel Stendel is still unclear.

Hearts manager Daniel Stendel insisted today he wants to stay and finish the job at Tynecastle despite relegation – but said the decision lies with owner Ann Budge.

Speaking exclusively to the Evening News, Stendel explained that he is not motivated by money and will discuss a new contract if the Tynecastle hierarchy want him in charge next season.

He is happy to work under a sporting director and Budge has put his future on hold whilst she attempts to recruit one as soon as possible.

The German remains at home in Hannover and is technically a free agent after Hearts were relegated to the Scottish Championship following the coronavirus outbreak.

The club are launching a legal challenge over the decision and Stendel, for the moment, is left in limbo.

His contract runs until summer 2022 but is only valid for the Premiership. He would need to sign a new deal, potentially on a reduced salary, to return to Edinburgh.

During talks with Budge, Stendel outlined plans to rebuild the team at Tynecastle and said he is ready for the challenge of trying to get promotion back to the top flight.

"I said to Ann I want to finish my work at Hearts. I told her I want to build up a new team and help them to get back to the Premiership,” he said.

“The decision is for Ann and for the club. At the moment, I have no answers. I do not have a contract in the Championship.

"In the end, I think it's a question of what Ann and the club want. This is my feeling. If the club and Ann want to work with me, they can say 'yes'. If not, they can say 'no'.

“For me, it's only a question of whether the club believe in what we spoke about when I came to Hearts.

"We wanted to build a new face for the club. We expected it would be a lot easier and quicker than it is. The fact we are relegated is very hard. It is not a normal season but we are relegated. This is the decision at the moment.

"When you want to do something and it does not happen at first, you need patience and positive thinking to finish the work. I want to finish the work at Hearts, but it is not my decision. Ann and the board will decide.

"I can only say that I want to do it, I want to help, I want to finish the job. But the ball is not in my court.”

Stendel has been working from home without wages since April after football was suspended. He feels that shows his commitment to the Tynecastle comes before any financial reward.

"If I had a contract for the Championship, we would not need to talk about this,” he said. “When I came to Hearts, the expectation was that we would stay up in the Premiership.

“I understand the situation now and I know the financial situation. I have been working without a salary for the last two and a half months because I told Ann to keep my salary. You can see that money is not everything for me.

“My first idea was to help the club and to take responsibility for everybody who works for the club. Also, it was a sign to the supporters of Hearts that we did not come to Scotland only for money. We can feel a special feeling at Hearts.”

Stendel brought assistant coach Jorg Sievers to Scotland in January and his deal also expires in 2022. The appointment of first-team coach Dale Tonge followed, but his short-term agreement expired at the end of the season.

Budge’s plan to appoint a sporting director would fill a void left by Craig Levein and help ease the workload on Stendel. He is keen to coach players and leave transfer business to others.

"You can only do things like this [appoint a sporting director] when you have the power,” he remarked. “Craig [Levein] was sporting director and then he was manager and sporting director.

“This is a little bit different to what the club expected from me at first. In the difficult time when I came to Hearts, it is not so easy to do all these things at the same time.

“I like to work with the team. I like to work on playing positively and being more successful. This is what I want to do. The financial situation – how much money to pay players, can you pay a transfer fee – is a different thing.

“The decision is for the club about what they want in the future, on the structure, decision-making, communication. These are all decisions for Ann. They are not my responsibility.”

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I like Daniel. Probably correct he was the right person at the wrong time and we would not have a 1000 page thread. 

If we get some positive energy and momentum he can be a good manager. 

Interesting to see if money really is no issue 

Just now, Tito5195 said:

he he doesn’t want to stay feck him is my opinion 

You must have read something entirely different from what i just read in the above post.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Baxfee said:

Loved him being there and the energy brought. Without doubt I want to see hearts play attacking football. However,  I don’t get the argument that as he inherited leveins duds, he couldn’t turn this around. He had loads of time to get results especially with the winter break. Aside from hibs and huns, he didn’t deliver I’m afraid. Due to that I think he needs to move on. 

I agree with your first 2 sentences, but can't have the rest of it as I genuinely feel that he had practically zero budget to work with, and hardly any targets to go for as well, you can't judge the man on someone else's team with zero budget to change things, and a squad of absolute fraudsters, it's very harsh. 

Personally, I reckon if he stays then we activate the clause in the contracts of many of the fraudsters we have at the club and cleanse the club of the shite, then rebuild again. Even in the Championship we'll have a bigger budget by a country mile than anyone else in that league, it shouldn't be too hard to get out of and win with a competent manager in charge who likes to attack teams, I reckon Stendel would do that, and I shudder at the suggestions of Tommy Wright and Pressely as manager, that pair wouldn't shift season tickets. 

Bunny Munro

His signings weren't dreadful.

Boyce had 2 goals and 1 penalty win in 3 games before he got injured. Sibbick was strolling it vs Rangers and Saints before he got ill. Langer wasn't a world beater but was a lot cheaper and no worse than Damour. Avdijaj clearly had talent but didn't click. 

Given that most of the budget went on Liam Boyce I'd say he did ok. 

3 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

His signings weren't dreadful.

Boyce had 2 goals and 1 penalty win in 3 games before he got injured. Sibbick was strolling it vs Rangers and Saints before he got ill. Langer wasn't a world beater but was a lot cheaper and no worse than Damour. Avdijaj clearly had talent but didn't click. 

Given that most of the budget went on Liam Boyce I'd say he did ok. 

Good points. Factor in that he improved a lot of the players (Clare, Bozanic, Moore etc) I think he did a pretty good job in very difficult circumstances. The week before the shutdown we had beaten Rangers in the cup, comfortably beat Hibs at Easter Road (not done that for a number of years) and drew with the team 3rd in the league. St mirren performance and result was terrible though and something he would need to address. 

I liked DS and wouldn't be opposed to him continuing.  If he doesn't get the chance my thoughts are more aligned with big Jorg Sievers leaving a 30 year career with Hanover to come to hearts and then see his time here finished before it even started.  Must be a ball breaker.

• davemclaren locked this topic