The Man With The Seven Second Memory

JFK-1

The remarkable and poignant story of Clive Wearing, a man with one of the worst cases of amnesia in the world. Once a renowned conductor and musician, Clive was struck down in 1985 by a virus that caused massive damage to his brain. Against the odds, doctors managed to save his life but he was left with a memory that spans just seven seconds.

Frightening predicament to contemplate. Anybody he talks to is the first person he can ever remember talking to. Can't read a book because he can't remember the sentence he just read. Can't watch a film because he can't remember the previous 7 seconds of what he just saw. It would just be a series of short scenes with no context.

Some further unusual features of it. Appears to retain some appreciation that he was once a musician. But can't remember a thing about being a musician, ever learning how to play music, no memory of ever having heard a musical note played. Yet can play piano. Seems to have some comprehension that something happened to him that robbed him of his memory. But can't remember what or when.

Can remember just one person, though not exactly remember but be aware she exists. His wife at the time of his illness who was actually his second wife. Has an appreciation she exists but has no memories of ever marrying her or even interacting with her.

59 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Frightening predicament to contemplate. Anybody he talks to is the first person he can ever remember talking to. Can't read a book because he can't remember the sentence he just read. Can't watch a film because he can't remember the previous 7 seconds of what he just saw. It would just be a series of short scenes with no context.

Some further unusual features of it. Appears to retain some appreciation that he was once a musician. But can't remember a thing about being a musician, ever learning how to play music, no memory of ever having heard a musical note played. Yet can play piano. Seems to have some comprehension that something happened to him that robbed him of his memory. But can't remember what or when.

Can remember just one person, though not exactly remember but be aware she exists. His wife at the time of his illness who was actually his second wife. Has an appreciation she exists but has no memories of ever marrying her or even interacting with her.

I've not watched the video.

Is he happy?

William H. Bonney
2 minutes ago, jake said:

Is he happy?

He was happy, 7 seconds ago. 

Was he wearing a Hibs top/scarf on the 19th of May, 2012?

Hope for his sake, he was.

22 minutes ago, jake said:

Is he happy?

That's difficult to say. How can you judge the mood of someone caught in a loop like that. He isn't constantly expressing sadness. Frustration at times perhaps.

I can't remember what I was thinking about, sometimes and it's getting more frequent. Didn't used to bother me, but now it's starting to worry me, a wee bit. 

18 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

That was a very interesting documentary. Must be bloody awful, getting visited by your loved ones and phoning them asking if they could visit. Good on his wife who got a lot of grief. I personally wouldn't want to have what's basically is a 7 second life.    

16 hours ago, Morgan said:

Was he wearing a Hibs top/scarf on the 19th of May, 2012?

Hope for his sake, he was.

:qqb006:

16 minutes ago, kila said:

Virgin forever

8 seconds after he's finished one, he'll be pestering his wife for another ride. No wonder she's only visiting once a month.

Mac_fae_Gillie

7 seconds, that's like my mum on the phone, same questions in a loop, poor old dear has dementia but geez phone calls are actually painful.

Can just tell that he is tortured. 

Sad to see the shell of a once incredibly intelligent guy. 

When he says someone is the first human contact he has had in years that to me shows how lonely he is in whatever thoughts he has. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Georgecowie
On 14/06/2020 at 02:24, ri Alban said:

I can't remember what I was thinking about, sometimes and it's getting more frequent. Didn't used to bother me, but now it's starting to worry me, a wee bit. 

Something along the lines of "have I overdone it with my nationalistic diatribes? Do they really belong on a thread about brown sauce or ketchup?" My memory isn't the best either so I feel your pain. 

12 hours ago, Marvin said:

That was a very interesting documentary. Must be bloody awful, getting visited by your loved ones and phoning them asking if they could visit. Good on his wife who got a lot of grief. I personally wouldn't want to have what's basically is a 7 second life.    

Perhaps even worse that he appears to have at least some comprehension that this is happening to him.

2 hours ago, Georgecowie said:

Something along the lines of "have I overdone it with my nationalistic diatribes? Do they really belong on a thread about brown sauce or ketchup?" My memory isn't the best either so I feel your pain. 

No. Just what was thinking about, kind of thing. If I don't remember to buy tottie scones I'll have a full English(Except the mushrooms :sick:) and some fried bread. 👍

Edited by ri Alban

Very similar to some Alzheimers symptoms I thought, with the (I'm not sure on the actual term so I'm going to steal an autistic one) kind of self soothing sentences. "First human I've seen....", "Never seen in it my life....". The exact same responses almost every time. Even with a poor memory, you'd expect the responses to vary in their wording if not their meaning. But pretty much the same phrases over and over. 

Clearly a lot of other brain damage than just the memory. He seems to have settled down but he looked an absolute wreck and almost perma raging when he was first diagnosed. Understandably too. Poor, poor fella. 

On 14/06/2020 at 16:58, AlimOzturk said:

Can just tell that he is tortured. 

Sad to see the shell of a once incredibly intelligent guy. 

When he says someone is the first human contact he has had in years that to me shows how lonely he is in whatever thoughts he has. 

A reminder to everyone if you are fortunate enough to have good health

to appreciate it as your life can change at anytime