Furlough Pay

theAlvasection

theAlvasection

After a bit of advice really about what part of your pay should the 80% be calculated on.I get the same wage every week but on my payslip I get an hourly rate for 39 hours and a weekly bonus which is always the same and makes up about 30% of my total weekly pay.

The question is should this weekly bonus be included in the 80% calculation,I should add that my employer is not contractually obliged to pay this weekly bonus but I have received it every week for about ten years.

Any advice would be appreciated.

9 minutes ago, theAlvasection said:

After a bit of advice really about what part of your pay should the 80% be calculated on.I get the same wage every week but on my payslip I get an hourly rate for 39 hours and a weekly bonus which is always the same and makes up about 30% of my total weekly pay.

The question is should this weekly bonus be included in the 80% calculation,I should add that my employer is not contractually obliged to pay this weekly bonus but I have received it every week for about ten years.

Would be against your basic salary I would expect.

theAlvasection

Its just that the government websites wording on bonuses is not the clearest and I have heard from other sub contractors that have had there weekly bonus included.

Its all very confusing.

Greedy Jambo

I questioned my wages a few weeks back (twice) " aye, i'll get back to you" 

Did they ****. (great company i work for, not)

Like i'm just suppose to be grateful that i'm getting paid 80% for sitting in the house doing ****all. 

theAlvasection

I know of one company that originally wasn't including weekly bonus at first then five weeks in started to include it and backdated the previous five weeks shortfall,Just down to each employer I suppose.

If it's a discretionary bonus then no but if it's commission then an average of the last year or the equivalent month from last year can be claimed.

23 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Like i'm just suppose to be grateful that i'm getting paid 80% for sitting in the house doing ****all. 

Yo should be grateful,how else can you afford your pot noodles.

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, obua said:

Yo should be grateful,how else can you afford your pot noodles.

Aye, very good. 

I've just bought avocados reduced to 40p I'll have you know. 

Cant complain,been on full wages since march. lockdown,going down  to 80% end of july.

Done feck all for months,living the llfe of normal  management .

Greedy Jambo

Try already being stung for 300 quid a month by the cms (20% goes to them) then getting a reduction of 20% in your wages while the CMS payments stay the same.  Just saying. 

And that's after me having to cut my hours because it wasn't worth me working 40 hours a week anymore. 

The whole system is ****ed. 

You thought the SPFL was corrupt. 

Edited by Space Pirate

4 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

Try already being stung for 300 quid a month by the cms (20% goes to them) then getting a reduction of 20% in your wages while the CMS payments stay the same.  Just saying. 

And that's after me having to cut my hours because it wasn't worth me working 40 hours a week anymore. 

The whole system is ****ed. 

You thought the SPFL was corrupt. 

Try being out of pocket £7500 cause the *******s pulled a flanker with the self employment grant. 

Harry Potter
8 hours ago, theAlvasection said:

Basic pay.

Unfortunately non contractual bonus are not included, it is a maximum of £2500 month.

problem is now companies are going to have to start contributing and if there is no proper relaxing of restrictions then I think there will be a lot of redundancies in the next couple of months.

216F2B25-8AC0-421A-971F-058CA1B21AAC.png

Governor Tarkin
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Try being out of pocket £7500 cause the *******s pulled a flanker with the self employment grant. 

Ooft, that's shite, mate. 

My Mrs has been shafted too.

Because she was on maternity for a large portion of last year and had only really been back working part time since, she didn't qualify for the grant, and doesn't qualify for universal credit as I'm recieving furlough payments. 

She does get something resembling statutory sick pay that works out at around 70 quid a week, so better than nowt. She goes in to her third trimester next month so even if salons are allowed to open again the midwife says she'll need to go back to shielding. Apparently pregnant women who get the covid in the third trimester have a greatly increased risk of becoming very ill. 

We are worried how being unable to work will affect her eligibility for maternity pay when the wee one does come along. 

It could be worse though, at least she has me to fall back on. A couple of her mates who had recently started up their own business and invested all of their savings have been wiped out. There must be thousands who have fallen through the cracks. 

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Weakened Offender
11 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

I cannae wait to see the movie of this on Netflix. 😊

49 minutes ago, theAlvasection said:

A fly move from my employer then the way he pays the wages.

Thanks for the advice chaps

I can't understand why an employer would pay less than you are entitled to, they claim it back anyway.

10 hours ago, Tott said:

Cant complain,been on full wages since march. lockdown,going down  to 80% end of july.

Done feck all for months,living the llfe of normal  management .

I wrote a book on management once but couldn't find a publisher - was told it lacked irrelevant detail. I have since added some as a footnote. Here it is:

"Chapter 1

The key to excellent management is getting a good team in place to do all the work, and then taking the credit and most of the reward for their work

The End

Acknowledgements: I'd like to thank my father but wish he'd done the above rather than work 14 hour days then play golf at weekends and never spend time with his kids"

1 hour ago, theAlvasection said:

A fly move from my employer then the way he pays the wages.

Thanks for the advice chaps

If bonuses make up a regular part of your pay your employer should have claimed them. The main way of calculating it is to take an average of your last 12 months pay then pay 80% of that. I know this because my accountant contacted a friend of his at HMRC and confirmed it. The guidance is contradictory as it says you can claim bonuses but not discretionary bonuses, all bonuses, technically, are discretionary. If it’s been a regular part of your normal pay it won’t be queried by hmrc.

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

If bonuses make up a regular part of your pay your employer should have claimed them. The main way of calculating it is to take an average of your last 12 months pay then pay 80% of that. I know this because my accountant contacted a friend of his at HMRC and confirmed it. The guidance is contradictory as it says you can claim bonuses but not discretionary bonuses, all bonuses, technically, are discretionary. If it’s been a regular part of your normal pay it won’t be queried by hmrc.

They're not discretionary if your contract states that you get say 10% of all sales.

8 minutes ago, graygo said:

They're not discretionary if your contract states that you get say 10% of all sales.

True. Never considered that. Just passing on what I was told but that’s a good point. 

Governor Tarkin
44 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

My employer included my salary uplift for time spent at sea over the previous year. Don't think I'll be offshore again until early next year at this rate.

theAlvasection
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Thanks mate that might just help me out, I'm down about 700 a month furlough pay the way he's claimed it

26 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

My employer included my salary uplift for time spent at sea over the previous year. Don't think I'll be offshore again until early next year at this rate.

Good to know they done the best they can for you. 👍

1 minute ago, theAlvasection said:

Thanks mate that might just help me out, I'm down about 700 a month furlough pay the way he's claimed it

Good luck. Hope he sorts it. 

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What flanker? They're paying based on your previous earnings submitted through tax returns. Not sure what else they were meant to do. Then there's the free £50k loan. That's free money. Fill your boots, make it work for you and cash in before you have to give it back.

5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Ooft, that's shite, mate. 

My Mrs has been shafted too.

Because she was on maternity for a large portion of last year and had only really been back working part time since, she didn't qualify for the grant, and doesn't qualify for universal credit as I'm recieving furlough payments. 

She does get something resembling statutory sick pay that works out at around 70 quid a week, so better than nowt. She goes in to her third trimester next month so even if salons are allowed to open again the midwife says she'll need to go back to shielding. Apparently pregnant women who get the covid in the third trimester have a greatly increased risk of becoming very ill. 

We are worried how being unable to work will affect her eligibility for maternity pay when the wee one does come along. 

It could be worse though, at least she has me to fall back on. A couple of her mates who had recently started up their own business and invested all of their savings have been wiped out. There must be thousands who have fallen through the cracks. 

All the best tae ye, bud! 

2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

What flanker? They're paying based on your previous earnings submitted through tax returns. Not sure what else they were meant to do. Then there's the free £50k loan. That's free money. Fill your boots, make it work for you and cash in before you have to give it back.

I couldn't get on to the website and it kept locking me out. So I printed it off and sent it away with a letter, as they told to. They told me cause it was late I was ****ed. 

The thing is, I pay my tax weekly through CIS. So it's not like I was late paying my tax. I appealed, and they wouldn't budge. I'll try again, since they extended it last week. Here's hoping. 

Another thing, I applied for my tax rebate 4 weeks ago, just went on and they still haven't processed it. If I didn't jump in a taxi I'd be well screwed. 

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I couldn't get on to the website and it kept locking me out. So I printed it off and sent it away with a letter, as they told to. They told me cause it was late I was ****ed. 

The thing is, I pay my tax weekly through CIS. So it's not like I was late paying my tax. I appealed, and they wouldn't budge. I'll try again, since they extended it last week. Here's hoping. 

Another thing, I applied for my tax rebate 4 weeks ago, just went on and they still haven't processed it. If I didn't jump in a taxi I'd be well screwed. 

That's harsh. You need to send the boys round.

10 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

That's harsh. You need to send the boys round.

I'm over it. Back on a roof the day. God I'm so unfit. A fat *******. :D

27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'm over it. Back on a roof the day. God I'm so unfit. A fat *******. :D

I banjoed my back earlier. Can't even stand straight. Phoned in sick for the morra

Just now, IronJambo said:

I banjoed my back earlier. Can't even stand straight. Phoned in sick for the morra

you could get your inlaws to come and help you out in this time of need

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You can't be late, 1st phase of the self employed grant doesn't close until next month. 2nd phase opens in August. 

I have had a lot of dealings with HM Revenue and customs regarding this scheme and the employees there have been really helpful.

Not known anyone to have the issues you are saying. 

10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

:trippin:

Basic pay only I'm afraid. Had to deal with a few poor buggers who make the bulk of their money via overtime but of course get hee haw through furlough other than their contracted pay.

Greedy Jambo
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Aye, If you're jobless with 4 kids you'll get cash within 4 days. If you work your arse off for years, they don't want to know. 

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

And that’s the last thing he needs.

Greedy Jambo
12 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I cannae wait to see the movie of this on Netflix. 😊

It would be a decent Louis Theroux documentary. Investigating the CMS, DWP and all the other 3 letter shit houses.

Unfortunately he works for the BBC, another 3 letter shit show. 

Edited by Space Pirate

11 hours ago, Ally Bee said:

You can't be late, 1st phase of the self employed grant doesn't close until next month. 2nd phase opens in August. 

I have had a lot of dealings with HM Revenue and customs regarding this scheme and the employees there have been really helpful.

Not known anyone to have the issues you are saying. 

My tax return was 1 day late, not my grant claim. 👍 Hope that explains it. 

21 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Unfortunately I think a lot of people are treating the £50k BB loans as exactly that; free money. They will completely forget that in 12 months time they need to start paying it back and then things are going to be chaos.

logie green
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

My tax return was 1 day late, not my grant claim. 👍 Hope that explains it. 

the usual tax return date is 31st january but was extended this year to 23rd april, but you were still a day late?

14 minutes ago, logie green said:

the usual tax return date is 31st january but was extended this year to 23rd april, but you were still a day late?

Didn't say it wasn't ma fault. But for some reason I have been getting locked out of the website and became fed up. I ended up forking out a few Bob for a lap top and printer, just to get it done. Unbeknownst to me, I could sign in through the Post Office. :D

Again, my own fault. No complaints, really, other than it's a bit shite considering I'm CIS and they have every penny of my tax. 

I'm more upset about my rebate as I don't usually claim it back, but I could be doing with it now. 

Edited by ri Alban

Rudi Skacel
22 hours ago, Locky said:

Basic pay only I'm afraid. Had to deal with a few poor buggers who make the bulk of their money via overtime but of course get hee haw through furlough other than their contracted pay.

As long as the overtime has been submitted through the HMRC then they should get overtime. 

Im currently recieving 87% of what my basic salary is because I did overtime last year. 

Also if in the same period last you you earned x amount and it is more than what the average earnings were for the last 12 months, you get 80% of the x amount. 

I think you should look at it again if you are the one in charge of working out their furlough payments. 

25 minutes ago, Rudi Skacel said:

As long as the overtime has been submitted through the HMRC then they should get overtime. 

Im currently recieving 87% of what my basic salary is because I did overtime last year. 

Also if in the same period last you you earned x amount and it is more than what the average earnings were for the last 12 months, you get 80% of the x amount. 

I think you should look at it again if you are the one in charge of working out their furlough payments. 

Not really my job to calculate as such, I was just put on a helpline with very basic training to give advice. The guidance I'd had was saying initially that overtime wasn't being calculated, but I guess that must've changed. Thankfully I'm not dealing with that anymore and I'm back dealing with Self Assessment.

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Not really my job to calculate as such, I was just put on a helpline with very basic training to give advice. The guidance I'd had was saying initially that overtime wasn't being calculated, but I guess that must've changed. Thankfully I'm not dealing with that anymore and I'm back dealing with Self Assessment.

it all depends on what you are called as. An employee who is salaried or paid by the hour.

the reality is an employee can pay you what ever part of your contracted hours/bonus/OT etc they like, it’s what they can claim back that makes a difference

they can claim back up to £2500 per month per employee for their average monthly earnings over the last 12 months or the Pay in April19 or Feb 20, whichever is the greater of the 3. 

this doesn’t include bonuses but should include premiums or overtime. 

overtime is not included if they class you as a salaried worker an your pay is not really based on an hourly rate. 

this means businesses like retail/ hospitality  etc who have staff who’s pay fluctuate over the year due to peak times get a fairer average instead of contracted pay. It also ensured those on zero hour contracts got a fair payment. 

It also means not everyone may get 80%, if your salary means 80% of it is greater than 2500, the difference to 80% is up to the employee If they want to pay.