Up North

Gerd Muller

Going up to Fort William area for a few days next week. Never been up that way before. Can people reccommend some sites to see, great views, castles etc.

Cheers

Carl Fredrickson

Take a drive up by Loch Ness - Urquhart Castle is on its banks and if you continue upto Inverness then Fort George is on the east side on the way out towards Culloden.

Check Historic Scotland & Visit Scotland for more info

That should say a wee bit up north :).

Havent been to Fort William in a few years and it was only work. Plenty touristy stuff around there though.

Take a drive west (about one hour) to Arisaig , Loch Morar (deepest loch in Scotland).

Some of the scenes from Local Hero were shot around Arisaig.

The scenery is fantasic and the beaches are stunning (not that you'll be swimming !) and great views towards Skye and some other islands.

Chances of seeing seals and killer whales.

Better call Saul
Going up to Fort William area for a few days next week. Never been up that way before. Can people reccommend some sites to see, great views, castles etc.

Cheers

Right yer a lucky son of a bitch first of all , Up north is the dugs bawz maybe no the best time o the year right enough but a fine fine place to be :cheers:

AND YER ONLY ON HERE TO RUB IT IN. :toasting:

Fort William itself is nothing special, you really need to get out of town to appreciate the area, which in the current weather conditions might be tricky.

If the weather is kind, the road through Glenfinnan,to Morar and Mallaig is magnificent ( The Road To the Isles )

Check out :

http://www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/tour.html

and

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/glenfinnan/glenfinnan/index.html

Glencoe as well obviously.

Carl Fredrickson
Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge,couple of miles north of Fort William.Worth a visit.

Howcould I forget that - I have some stunning photo of it too.

Fort William itself is nothing special, you really need to get out of town to appreciate the area, which in the current weather conditions might be tricky.

If the weather is kind, the road through Glenfinnan,to Morar and Mallaig is magnificent ( The Road To the Isles )

Check out :

http://www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/tour.html

and

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/glenfinnan/glenfinnan/index.html

Glencoe as well obviously.

If the weather's good, it might be an idea to carry on west and head into Ardnamurchan. Some of the finest beaches known to man and stunning views over to Rum and Eigg.

Darth Sidious
Take a drive up by Loch Ness - Urquhart Castle is on its banks and if you continue upto Inverness then Fort George is on the east side on the way out towards Culloden.

Check Historic Scotland & Visit Scotland for more info

Done this for my 30th last January. Done the boat trip on the loch and I insisted on sitting on the top deck. Both wife and I frozen silly. Did not even see Nessie....

January is out of season so it was only us and the army at Fort George.

If the weather's good, it might be an idea to carry on west and head into Ardnamurchan. Some of the finest beaches known to man and stunning views over to Rum and Eigg.

It's a long way to go just so you can say you've been to the most westerly point in mainland Britain. Apart from that I have memories of one of the worst drives of my life although it was very beautiful there. I can recall a lighthouse and an 'olde tea shoppe' but that's about it.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Plockton's worth a visit, if only to stock up on Hamish Macbeth merchandise

It's a long way to go just so you can say you've been to the most westerly point in mainland Britain. Apart from that I have memories of one of the worst drives of my life although it was very beautiful there. I can recall a lighthouse and an 'olde tea shoppe' but that's about it.

Aye, to be fair you wouldn't go there for the nightlife! Still probably my favourite place in the UK though (apart from Tynecasle, obviously!)

Fantasic guys, going to write down the places and hopefully visit a few of them. Only plan to stay in Fort William once them move on for the 2nd night. Looking forward to it because the amount of people I've spoke to that says the scenery is unbelieve. taking ma new digitial camera too so hoping for good pictures. Hopefully the girlfriend will be weak at the knees :)

Cairneyhill Jambo

Cheers

The Grog and Gruel is a real ale paradise.

Climb Ben Nevis if the weather is good.

The Old Tolbooth

Once had a cracking night in a pub in Caol, I think it was called the Loch Inn but might be wrong, some nice wee genuine B&B's there as well if thats your thing.

Doctor FinnBarr

Got a mate whose got a sister in FW. She says to avoid the High Street at weekends as its a battlefield with polish gangs fighting each other!

Got a mate whose got a sister in FW. She says to avoid the High Street at weekends as its a battlefield with polish gangs fighting each other!

shocking behaviour, wouldn't see that happening in Kirkcaldy!

Will basically pass through Fort William but a few older guys from work say to head past Fort William on the road to Mallaig and possibly Skye.

Hope the weather gets better for you as its pretty horrible just now. Ullapool is a good place to come but much better in the summer.

Archived