Black Lives Matter Protest.

Ainsley Harriott

Francis Albert
51 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I have a bigger problem with the anachronistic class system that is perpetuated by retaining a monarch and those who hang on her coat tails, than I do with any statue put up a few hundred years ago to a guy who made his fortune in a dodgy manner...I think Elizabeth is excellent at her job but that the role is no longer relevant in 21st century, and she should be the last monarch.

We don't actually see the worst of the class system up here but anyone who has ever worked in London will have...

Sorry I agree with much of what you post but that is nonsense. Lower class Londoners don't do any better than  lower class any where else. Probablyvworse because they have more competition  from incomers

But agree with your fiirst paragraph

Apologies I think I completly misread for post

Edited by Francis Albert

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Justin Z

• Dawnrazor

• Spellczech

13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Sorry I agree with much of what you post but that is nonsense. Lower class Londoners don't do any better than  lower class any where else. Probablyvworse because they have more competition  from incomers

But agree with your fiirst paragraph

Apologies I think I completly misread for post

Yeah think you misinterpreted it...

I was saying that the class system is far more obvious in London than up here - not just meaning the US interpretation of blue v white collar jobs, I mean the truly entitled and those who believe they are socially superior...the snobbery, Royal Ascot etc...I've never seen someone in Edinburgh chuck a £100 at a bouncer then once he is in the club, tell his pals that that is how you treat "proles" - saw that in Chelsea...

9 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Image may contain: text that says "EZPZ @NahNotFeelinlt #BlackLivesMatter is defending a 75 year old white guy while the "ALL LIVES MATTER" crowd are defending the cops who shoved him down and concussed him. In case you were wondering who actually believes all lives matter and who just wants to defend police brutality. 12:28 AM 6/5/20 Twitter for Android"

Oof, harsh. But awfully fair.

Really? If the 75 year old white man is on a BLM march then they have a vested interest in defending him (in same way as OF bigots who we are told are a tiny minority, get protected by non-bigots if the police try to pick them out the crowd) , and is it not contrary to the basic concept of "All Lives Matter"-ing if people purporting to support it were to back the police over the old man in this example?

I interpret it as nonsense rather that fair...

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, weehammy said:

The SNP don’t want a republic. They pledged to retain the Queen as head of state in the referendum. That, and their policy of retaining the pound ( regulated by a central bank in what would be a foreign country) were two among several reasons why some of us voted NO.

Yeah I’m not in the SNP and don’t agree with a lot of what they say and do, and the debate of the currency has moved on.

Edited by Pasquale for King

5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Really? If the 75 year old white man is on a BLM march then they have a vested interest in defending him (in same way as OF bigots who we are told are a tiny minority, get protected by non-bigots if the police try to pick them out the crowd) , and is it not contrary to the basic concept of "All Lives Matter"-ing if people purporting to support it were to back the police over the old man in this example?

I interpret it as nonsense rather that fair...

Yes, and they do back the police--that's the point of the meme.

Ron Burgundy

If you take the race part out of all of this then a bully and thug like cop and a hardened vicious criminal no longer walk the streets of America.

Why is everyone fighting? 

7 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Yes, and they do back the police--that's the point of the meme.

Then who are these people saying all lives matter as that is patently BS? Surely the real people for whom all lives matter are not counter-protesters to BLM but us sitting on our backsides at home observing how daft the whole thing is?

MR INCREDIBLE

2 of our cops attacked in Hackney last night by feral f*****g savages but all we hear on the news this morning is about ripping down statues all brought about by the death of a drug fuelled career criminal from another continent. 

This country is finished. 

A certain politician told us 50 years ago what would happen in this country and nobody listened. 

Ainsley Harriott
10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nah she was just a horrible ***** that hated the working class and widened the gap between the rich and poor that had reduced every decade of the 20th century’s. There’s a reason that statue is where it is. 

I disagree she was a strong and capable woman. She brought change when it was needed.

Ainsley Harriott
8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah I’m not in the SNP and don’t agree with a lot of what they say and do, and the debate of the currency has moved on.

Is there now a definitive answer as to what the currency would be?

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

If you take the race part out of all of this then a bully and thug like cop and a hardened vicious criminal no longer walk the streets of America.

Why is everyone fighting? 

Even with the race part removed you have a police officer acting as jury, judge and executioner. Something common in the US.

43 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

2 of our cops attacked in Hackney last night by feral f*****g savages but all we hear on the news this morning is about ripping down statues all brought about by the death of a drug fuelled career criminal from another continent. 

A certain politician told us 50 years ago what would happen in this country and nobody listened. 

It is being reported, don’t get carried away with your negativity.

52 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I disagree she was a strong and capable woman. She brought change when it was needed.

I agree. The unions were crippling the country, I mean really destroying it. Say what you like about the EU but it did a better job of bringing in workers' rights than the unions ever did...

Maggie also got Brits obsessed with owning property and this "safe as houses" way of investing has created a lot of financial security in the UK - Over the last 12 years I used half my extra money to pay pay off my mortgage in 13 years rather than 25 and put the other half in my pension (stock market). Covid hurt my pension  (tho it is recovering now) but because I finished my mortgage 2 weeks ago it doesn't matter to me that I lost 2 of 3 clients and am only getting 4-5 days work a month right now...

The Community Charge? Well that was a good plan badly executed. Trialling it in Scotland where Glasgow has a huge number of working age adults who remain living with their parents until they get married was a massive blunder. The basic idea that local taxes be linked to the person rather than a property was fairer though.

1 hour ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

You just love using inflammatory terminology long used by racists in a "Black Lives Matter" thread, don't you?

MR INCREDIBLE
23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You just love using inflammatory terminology long used by racists in a "Black Lives Matter" thread, don't you?

What terminology would you use for this incident. 

Francis Albert
10 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Yeah think you misinterpreted it...

I was saying that the class system is far more obvious in London than up here - not just meaning the US interpretation of blue v white collar jobs, I mean the truly entitled and those who believe they are socially superior...the snobbery, Royal Ascot etc...I've never seen someone in Edinburgh chuck a £100 at a bouncer then once he is in the club, tell his pals that that is how you treat "proles" - saw that in Chelsea...

Have lived in London for 45 years and have never encountered that sort of thing ... We must move in different circles! Apologies for misreading your post.

Ron Burgundy
52 minutes ago, kila said:

Even with the race part removed you have a police officer acting as jury, judge and executioner. Something common in the US.

Of course and the good thing is he will never walk the streets again. The guy he murdered will be no loss to society, indeed pregnant women can no doubt sleep easier knowing he's off the streets for good.

And I'd say exactly the same if the cop was black and the criminal white.

The situation was as far as I can see no way related to race and I agree that too many people are killed by US cops. I think statistically white people are more at risk of that.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Have lived in London for 45 years and have never encountered that sort of thing ... We must move in different circles! Apologies for misreading your post.

I used to hang out with investment bankers. Some of the colleagues of my mates were right ....s

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Of course and the good thing is he will never walk the streets again. The guy he murdered will be no loss to society, indeed pregnant women can no doubt sleep easier knowing he's off the streets for good.

And I'd say exactly the same if the cop was black and the criminal white.

The situation was as far as I can see no way related to race and I agree that too many people are killed by US cops. I think statistically white people are more at risk of that.

Sounds like your excusing police execution because the guy they killed had a bit of a criminal record?

What crazy society are you for? 

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

I used to hang out with investment bankers. Some of the colleagues of my mates were right ....s

Actually thinking about it I have occasionally had a drink.in the City after work and know where you are coming from. But some places in George Street can compete.

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Yep, supported apartheid, Labelled Mandela a terrorist and had a close friend in Pinochet whom she harboured when the whole world knew he should stand trial for his personal involvement in the torture, sexual abuse and killing of thousands of his citizens. 

Ron Burgundy
Just now, kila said:

Sounds like your excusing police execution because the guy they killed had a bit of a criminal record?

What crazy society are you for? 

No not at all and I cannot begin to see where you get that from.

Although if the police do murder people then I find I am less outraged if the person killed was like George Floyd than Justine Damond. 

And sounds like you are excusing GF for having "had a bit of a criminal record". He was a violent career criminal not a shoplifter.

manaliveits105

Police should be fair in their dealings but should be a deterrent - our police are soft now  hamstrung by our pc snowflakes - we should be more like Spain where everybody knows there is a line and if you cross it - that's your problem .

Quite agree with the removal of Baden Powells statue by the way - Boys Brigade rules !

4 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

No not at all and I cannot begin to see where you get that from.

Although if the police do murder people then I find I am less outraged if the person killed was like George Floyd than Justine Damond. 

And sounds like you are excusing GF for having "had a bit of a criminal record". He was a violent career criminal not a shoplifter.

So if you witness a brutal police execution of someone who isn't even fighting back, you will reserve your feelings and judgements of the events until you determine if the deceased deserved the death penalty?

I think I would be in shock at the completely unnecessary nature of the police actions and terrified to live in a society where that is shrugged off.

Ron Burgundy
Just now, kila said:

So if you witness a brutal police execution of someone who isn't even fighting back, you will reserve your feelings and judgements of the events until you determine if the deceased deserved the death penalty?

I think I would be in shock at the completely unnecessary nature of the police actions and terrified to live in a society where that is shrugged off.

Again I am not shrugging it off and witnessing it would be horrific. And I didn't say he deserved the death penalty but after learning about the guy I find my sympathy for him diminishes somewhat.

If we could get over the nonsense about it being race related I think that would help. Two horrible peoples lives intertwined and this is the result.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Yeah **** those poor folk.

2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Is there now a definitive answer as to what the currency would be?

Yes.

https://www.thenational.scot/comment/16251684.craig-dalzell-its-a-mistake-not-to-launch-our-own-currency/

Craig has many valuable articles here that explain currency, a central bank etc.

https://thecommongreen.scot/

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Again I am not shrugging it off and witnessing it would be horrific. And I didn't say he deserved the death penalty but after learning about the guy I find my sympathy for him diminishes somewhat.

If we could get over the nonsense about it being race related I think that would help. Two horrible peoples lives intertwined and this is the result.

The guy that killed him was a racist with 18 former complaints against him, you’re right and millions who believe it was a racist act are wrong?

Edited by Pasquale for King

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

The guy that killed him was a racist with 18 former complaints against him.

So you think he was killed because he was black?

47 minutes ago, kila said:

I'm guessing this is not about George Floyd video? You are just ramping up the rhetoric for effect?

A society as awash with guns as America probably needs strong police. It is the flaw of the 2nd Amendment - freedom to own or bear weapons does not make society safer, and thus neither does the police force you employ to do it...How many times did Wyatt Earp and other early lawmen have to defend themselves against allegations that they went too far?(Answer: lots) Nothing has progressed in US in this area since the bloody Wild West!

Edited by Spellczech

JudyJudyJudy
58 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Yep, supported apartheid, Labelled Mandela a terrorist and had a close friend in Pinochet whom she harboured when the whole world knew he should stand trial for his personal involvement in the torture, sexual abuse and killing of thousands of his citizens. 

Yes she was an evil c** I hated that woman. It was a glorious day when she left this earth on her broom to go to hell.  

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

So you think he was killed because he was black?

No I know he was killed by a racist cop who restrained someone who wasn’t resisting arrest and was asked by his fellow officers to stop, because he was black. I’m sure a court of law will prove it too.

Ron Burgundy

No I know he was killed by a racist cop who restrained someone who wasn’t resisting arrest and was asked by his fellow officers to stop, because he was black. I’m sure a court of law will prove it too.

I didn't know the cop had convictions for racism, if that's the case then it may well have been race related.

JudyJudyJudy
15 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Probably more than a dozen but yes most folk don’t know or care, so why the big deal about replacing it with someone more deserving.

Actually they need to put the statue back up of Sherlock Holmes.  Arthur Conan Doyle was one of Edinburgh's finest citizens.  He created the worlds most famous detective and was a great philanthropist and human being.  

Depends how you interpret "wasn't resisting". He was not compliant. He was in the squad car prior to getting out and lying down I believe...Now when you hear that 3 of them were restraining him and one on his neck for 9 minutes you obviously think "taking it way too far", in fact I'm pretty sure the one on the neck must have been unnecessary if he was cuffed and had a guy on his legs and another on his torso...

The other bit about "because he was black" - I think that is unsubstantiated, unless he has previous for overt racism (which I don't know TBH)

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Actually they need to put the statue back up of Sherlock Holmes.  Arthur Conan Doyle was one of Edinburgh's finest citizens.  He created the worlds most famous detective and was a great philanthropist and human being.  

Indeed, I think CD deserves his own one though. I did think it was funny that the first picture I found of it was this though.

D09C2D4D-6D4E-4EFF-A168-FE0B1AA9E806.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
14 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not slave trading Tories to start with. Would anyone moan about Elsie Inglis? 

Nope. How about Sean Connery  and  Muriel Spark and Maybe a small Ronnie Corbet one with the left overs...? :) and definitely the great Alistair Sim 

Governor Tarkin
49 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Police should be fair in their dealings but should be a deterrent - our police are soft now  hamstrung by our pc snowflakes - we should be more like Spain where everybody knows there is a line and if you cross it - that's your problem .

Quite agree with the removal of Baden Powells statue by the way - Boys Brigade rules !

I agree with all of this.

Fell down the stairs in the station a couple of times myself as a youth. All fully deserved. 

On a related note, I watched the police retrieve a schemie who'd abandoned his stolen car out the front and taken refuge in my neighbours back garden late one night. The boy was being a complete arse and resisting arrest. I'm sure the copper could've pulled the dogs off him at least 10 minutes sooner than he did, but they seemed to be enjoying themselves so he let them bash on. The schemie scumbag was howling in that nasal toned manner that is common amongst his ilk. It was most :pleasing:

Found two nine-bars of the most horrific soapbar lying in my garden the following morning. The boy must've chucked them in his panic and the cops were too busy letting the dugs have their fun to come through and check on my side.

A most :pleasingao: episode all round.

JudyJudyJudy
14 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Can’t stand the useless old *****.

Stuff like this. 

694F2B99-A9A5-4CE6-9E0B-7EFC45B35000.jpeg

Thats brilliant.  

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I didn't know the cop had convictions for racism, if that's the case then it may well have been race related.

Its not been disclosed if he had convictions, they wouldn’t expand on his 18 complaints, you can judge why. His social media was full of racism apparently.

Its not been disclosed if he had convictions, they wouldn’t expand on his 18 complaints, you can judge why. His social media was full of racism apparently.

So basically you labelled him a racist without actually knowing...

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Nope. How about Sean Connery  and  Muriel Spark and Maybe a small Ronnie Corbet one with the left overs...? :) and definitely the great Alistair Sim 

Connery was a wife beater, I deliberately didn’t mention him. Corbett perhaps, as someone said it can be worthy folk from anywhere. Muriel Spark yeah, but does her book not mention Dame Lettie COLSTON 😜.

Pasquale for King

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Occasionally pinch myself just to remember that this thread and all the demos and statue demolishing was provoked not by Police Scotland killing a suspect in Shandwick Place but by a murder in f*****g MINNEAPOLIS USA!!
Given the extent of justifiable outrage in the US, can’t we just let them sort out their own issues?
Nobody demonstrated when Putin’s thugs poisoned the Skripals in our own country, causing a wholly innocent police officer serious medical problems and killing a female UK citizen. People’s outrage would be easier to understand if it wasn’t so selective.

Fair comment.

JudyJudyJudy
14 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

For generations Edinburgh has been defined by and  been familiar to its citizens through place names like Dundas Street Princes Street George Street Hanover Street Frederick Street Charlotte Square and so on and on. Hundreds of thousands of people have lived in worked in shopped in drank in and walked in these streets and they are and were part of their lives with few of them thinking of them as other than names in their city. Why should their heritage and history be stripped away? It is quite insane.

because society evolves and moves on thats why for the better. 

Ron Burgundy
12 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Occasionally pinch myself just to remember that this thread and all the demos and statue demolishing was provoked not by Police Scotland killing a suspect in Shandwick Place but by a murder in f*****g MINNEAPOLIS USA!!
Given the extent of justifiable outrage in the US, can’t we just let them sort out their own issues?
Nobody demonstrated when Putin’s thugs poisoned the Skripals in our own country, causing a wholly innocent police officer serious medical problems and killing a female UK citizen. People’s outrage would be easier to understand if it wasn’t so selective.

Yeah but you gotta have a hashtag to count.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes she was an evil c** I hated that woman. It was a glorious day when she left this earth on her broom to go to hell.  

It was indeed. 

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, I think CD deserves his own one though. I did think it was funny that the first picture I found of it was this though.

D09C2D4D-6D4E-4EFF-A168-FE0B1AA9E806.jpeg

lol

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hold on - I have only scan read those links but the brother is saying it was personal (that doesn't mean racist); The owner's view is hearsay at best; and the other one just says that there were 18 unspecified complaints lodged in his 20 odd-years in the police? Those are not support for him being a racist or even assumed to be a racist...

You've prejudged him.

Prejudice is meant to be what BLM is complaining about...

Sorry mate but you've jumped from the moral high ground into the sewer of prejudice...