Black Lives Matter Protest.

Ainsley Harriott

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I will be ****ing seething if we're back in full lockdown after this lunacy. Black lives will always matter. They mattered before the pandemic and they'll still matter after it. Why hold a protest like this now? Complete idiocy. If the value of people's lives is so high on your agenda, stay indoors ffs.

well said

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Justin Z

• Dawnrazor

• Spellczech

Space Mackerel

I’ve been quite enjoying all the riots, takes me back to my youth and the Poll Tax days. 😊

All you individual youngsters that pay no money to local authorities  (probably excess £2000.00 by now) can thank me and my Comrades. 

Edited by Space Mackerel

It would be interesting to know if any of the people protesting racism and such are like some JKBers after a Hibs game who rave about those f'''''ing Hibby scumbags I hate them, sheer filth, and thats describing people born and raised in the same city, educated at similar schools, possibly work with or close to one of the people so described. I only use the despicable word hate because it is relevant to my point ,hate to me is the root of much evil.

10 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

So many white people out in force virtue signalling to the world makes me cringe beyond belief. A few utter roasters on this thread doing that very same thing. Thousands of folk made the very illegal decision today to gather in mass protest. I have made my feeling clear about the lock down measures and how I disagree with them. However and I need to say this clearly for the thick ****s in the back - until it judged to be safe gather in crowds like they did today then you have done nothing but endanger the very big sacrifices made. 

Hope it was worth it. 

And people think Liverpool and Leeds fans won't turn up in their thousands to celebrate their teams winning the league.

:Aye:

7 hours ago, redjambo said:

Look guys. Nae mare of these horse jokes, please.

It’s the glue that holds us together. 

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, luckydug said:

I suppose the Orange Lodge will now be demanding their democratic right to hold their marches all over the country in the next few weeks. 

It will now be open season for large groups to march / congregate in public now. 

The floodgates have been opened. 

Goodbye lockdown, goodbye social distancing. 

Might as well start the football season in front of fans now. 

So ****ing pissed off with those selfish people. 

If we get a second wave of the virus 😕

This.

Harry Potter
7 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

I’ve been quite enjoying all the riots, takes me back to my youth and the Poll Tax days. 😊

All you individual youngsters that pay no money to local authorities  (probably excess £2000.00 by now) can thank me and my Comrades. 

Enjoying , deary me, anyway looks like us scots can protest in peace and observe the rules for saving lives, 

not heard any bad reports on the Edinburgh protest, which imo should not have gone ahead.

Rules for one and and all that, 

11 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Very easy and utterly abhorrent mud to throw around. Have read back on the thread and despite a difference of opinion there hasn't been one single shred of racism. The mods should ban maroonlegion and anyone else who makes these unfounded and unjust  accusations at posters. 

Well said. It’s happening a lot on here. 

We've got three threads with white people telling black people they're wrong and yet Scotland isn't racist apparently😂

jack D and coke
Just now, SE16 3LN said:

We've got three threads with white people telling black people they're wrong and yet Scotland isn't racist apparently😂

It’s got racists like pretty much anywhere else on the planet but not as racist as other parts of the uk imo. I came across a lot of racism in certain places in Yorkshire and the midlands that I haven’t ever seen up here. 

Im only seeing people mentioning the fact they’re protesting during a lockdown not that they don’t have a right to protest. 
Bit different. 

AlimOzturk
2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Utter shite. You haven't got white folk telling black people anything on this thread. You have people questioning protests in the midsts of a global pandemic. There are also many questioning regarding the violent nature of many of the protests and what this actually achieves.

You are just another virtue signaller without a valid point to make. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s got racists like pretty much anywhere else on the planet but not as racist as other parts of the uk imo. I came across a lot of racism in certain places in Yorkshire and the midlands that I haven’t ever seen up here. 

Im only seeing people mentioning the fact they’re protesting during a lockdown not that they don’t have a right to protest. 
Bit different. 

Your last sentence is spot on.

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I can only assume you fall into the BAME category thus can comment on levels of racism you've experienced in the country to make such statements.

Your points about mass protests/gatherings during a pandemic are fair though.

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Utter shite. You haven't got white folk telling black people anything on this thread. You have people questioning protests in the midsts of a global pandemic. There are also many questioning regarding the violent nature of many of the protests and what this actually achieves.

You are just another virtue signaller without a valid point to make. 

The "I'm not racist but" get out clause. I started virtue signalling with the ANL in the 70's what about you?

Francis Albert
14 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

Do you mean the policewoman that fell off her horse? It was wrongly reported she'd been attacked, but she actually rode into a traffic light.

If it was another incident have you got a link to it?

I think the horse bolted . She didn't just ride it into a traffic light. The reaction of the mob celebrating and throwing missiles is repugnant.

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

The "I'm not racist but" get out clause. I started virtue signalling with the ANL in the 70's what about you?

Did you attend any of the rallies?

40 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Where are these threads?

spirt of 98
12 hours ago, Meestah Sahmon said:

I should know better than to reply, but here I am.

There were protests, demonstrations and marches in 2015 when Sheku died. I know because I was there. I attended his funeral and the procession which marched through Kirkcaldy, stopping at the police station. I attended another march in Kirkcaldy in late 2015 as well as the launch of the Justice For Sheku Bayoh campaign in Glasgow.

The expert level of suppression and misinformation put out in the immediate aftermath of his death helped stop any kind of traction it could ever gather at the time. I'd urge everyone to watch the BBC Disclosure episode on his death that's on the iPlayer and to also note the fact that his family and lawyers have all expressed their desire that anyone who wanted to protest today do so "virtually".

Remember, just because you don't remember seeing something, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Stay safe. 

Few hundred folk in Kirkcaldy and a further march 3 years later. Trying to get justice by drumming up hate against the Police Officers. When it’s well documented the Sheku had two drugs MDMA and Flaka in his system. Just been interesting reading that it can be proved that a major factor in his death was these drugs. There in not one shred of evidence racism played a part. But let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story. 

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Did you attend any of the rallies?

Not for a while mate. Wouldn't go near a mass gathering at the moment. I first went to Victoria park in 1978 and the not so glamorous Craigmillar in Edinburgh. I was in Southall in 1979 to campaign against the NF and then, purely by accident, got caught up in Brixton 2 years later. After that Equality and Diversity became my vocation for more than two decades. I'm telling you this because there is no way I believe I have a right to tell people how to express their anger against Racism. I think its a big call to ignore social distancing rules at the moment, but I'm not black, I don't know what I'd feel or do right now if I was. I do think there was no need for any violence in London, the police approach was low key, in the past however...

PS, I'm Gammon apparently 

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Where are these threads?

It would be easy to ignore the top three in the shed...

2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Not for a while mate. Wouldn't go near a mass gathering at the moment. I first went to Victoria park in 1978 and the not so glamorous Craigmillar in Edinburgh. I was in Southall in 1979 to campaign against the NF and then, purely by accident, got caught up in Brixton 2 years later. After that Equality and Diversity became my vocation for more than two decades. I'm telling you this because there is no way I believe I have a right to tell people how to express their anger against Racism. I think its a big call to ignore social distancing rules at the moment, but I'm not black, I don't know what I'd feel or do right now if I was. I do think there was no need for any violence in London, the police approach was low key, in the past however...

Yet you seem to be having a dig at fellow people who are also against mass gatherings at the moment. That's what people have the problem with, not the cause itself.

Edited by Ray Gin

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

It’s good to know you had the sense to ignore it under the present crisis.

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yet you seem to be having a dig at fellow people who are also against mass gatherings at the moment. That's what people have the problem with, not the cause itself.

I think I've explained my point of view quite clearly. 

"there is no way I believe I have a right to tell people how to express their anger against Racism"

Selective quotes only work if they're not right in front of you mate. 

Just as a final footnote, I have had covid and have the antibodies so I may be safe.

4 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Few hundred folk in Kirkcaldy and a further march 3 years later. Trying to get justice by drumming up hate against the Police Officers. When it’s well documented the Sheku had two drugs MDMA and Flaka in his system. Just been interesting reading that it can be proved that a major factor in his death was these drugs. There in not one shred of evidence racism played a part. But let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story. 

He was an unarmed person being arrested by several police officers. His autopsy revealed *23* separate injuries. How would these have been caused by MDMA and Flakka?

The results of the public inquiry will be interesting. Of course, it will be very difficult to prove that racism was an element (if it was), but hopefully it will cast light on whether the arrest was unnecessarily violent and whether the officers could have approached the arrest in a better way (common sense indicates that the latter is probably true).

spirt of 98
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

He was an unarmed person being arrested by several police officers. His autopsy revealed *23* separate injuries. How would these have been caused by MDMA and Flakka?

The results of the public inquiry will be interesting. Of course, it will be very difficult to prove that racism was an element (if it was), but hopefully it will cast light on whether the arrest was unnecessarily violent and whether the officers could have approached the arrest in a better way (common sense indicates that the latter is probably true).

In your opinion. Which is based on what nothing. 

AlimOzturk
36 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Never been one for protests. Prefer to live my life trying not to get to involved in world affairs. Suppose the closest I come to having any sort of passionate political veiw would be the Scottish independence movements but even then I couldn't ever give enough shits to actually attend a rally or anything. I vote, that's about it. 

No doubt after the black lives matter movement dies down something else will rear it's ugly head which will get everyone angry and up in arms again. 

Suppose you could say I am part of the problem as I don't want to do anything to actually help heal the world's problems. Then again I am incredibly skeptical that the efforts I or anyone who is currently protesting is actually going to make a slight bit of different. Humanity are just a bunch of utter arseholes.

I have accepted what is. I want to get out of the pandemic and back to work however and these protests are doing **** all to help that. Can't see how that makes me a racist. 

1 minute ago, spirt of 98 said:

In your opinion. Which is based on what nothing. 

Do you or do you not think that it is unusual and worrying that the arrest of one unarmed man by several police officers resulted in 23 separate injuries to that man and his subsequent death? Does that not perturb you in any way and make you wonder whether that is a normal outcome and whether things could and should have been done differently?

AlimOzturk
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Seemed like a clear cut case of racial profiling to me. 

spirt of 98
Just now, redjambo said:

Do you or do you not think that it is unusual and worrying that the arrest of one unarmed man by several police officers resulted in 23 separate injuries to that man and his subsequent death? Does that not perturb you in any way and make you wonder whether that is a normal outcome and whether things could and should have been done differently?

No because I understand the great strength and lack of feeling of pain a person can exceed whilst displaying symptoms of excited delirium a condition that also means the persons body uses up the oxygen and causes them to stop breathing. Excited delirium is common in people who have used drugs and get in to struggles with the Police. 

But of course I won’t have to explain that to you as you are an expert after narrowly reading about how racism caused him to have 23 injuries. 

15 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I think I've explained my point of view quite clearly. 

"there is no way I believe I have a right to tell people how to express their anger against Racism"

Selective quotes only work if they're not right in front of you mate. 

Just as a final footnote, I have had covid and have the antibodies so I may be safe.

You haven't explained clearly how people having a problem with mass gatherings during a pandemic equates to Scotland being racist.

50 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think the horse bolted . She didn't just ride it into a traffic light. The reaction of the mob celebrating and throwing missiles is repugnant.

No arguments from me bud 👍 I've posted much the same at various points in the thread. 

spirt of 98

For the record I do not believe the death of George Floyd can be justified in anyway by the Police as there would appear to be no reason to kneel on his neck. 

However we cannot claim every death of black people is racism it dangerous. What do we call it when a white person dies due to Police actions? 

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Never been one for protests. Prefer to live my life trying not to get to involved in world affairs. Suppose the closest I come to having any sort of passionate political veiw would be the Scottish independence movements but even then I couldn't ever give enough shits to actually attend a rally or anything. I vote, that's about it. 

No doubt after the black lives matter movement dies down something else will rear it's ugly head which will get everyone angry and up in arms again. 

Suppose you could say I am part of the problem as I don't want to do anything to actually help heal the world's problems. Then again I am incredibly skeptical that the efforts I or anyone who is currently protesting is actually going to make a slight bit of different. Humanity are just a bunch of utter arseholes.

I have accepted what is. I want to get out of the pandemic and back to work however and these protests are doing **** all to help that. Can't see how that makes me a racist.

That is sad for me to hear, to be honest, Alim, although entirely your choice of course. It's just that for me, not all humanity are arseholes and if we don't all try to do something to make the world a better place (human rights, social justice, equality, environment, animal welfare etc.), then nothing will ever change. In saying that however, I have definitely calmed down in my elder years. :)

People protesting has been one of the biggest catalysts to change in the past. When the folk in charge see that masses of people can actually get up off their arses and be bothered to go out and protest, they realise that it will be difficult to maintain the status quo.

Given the Covid crisis, I would have preferred that the demonstrations in Scotland hadn't taken place. However, they appear to have been carried out in a reasonably responsible fashion and I would far rather have that than the London-style free for all. I personally don't think that they will make much difference to the crisis, especially when considered for example against the seaside scenes that we recently saw in East Lothian where social distancing appears to have been widely flouted.

1 minute ago, spirt of 98 said:

What do we call it when a white person dies due to Police actions? 

Rare?

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

That is sad for me to hear, to be honest, Alim, although entirely your choice of course. It's just that for me, not all humanity are arseholes and if we don't all try to do something to make the world a better place (human rights, social justice, equality, environment, animal welfare etc.), then nothing will ever change. In saying that however, I have definitely calmed down in my elder years. :)

People protesting has been one of the biggest catalysts to change in the past. When the folk in charge see that masses of people can actually get up off their arses and be bothered to go out and protest, they realise that it will be difficult to maintain the status quo.

Given the Covid crisis, I would have preferred that the demonstrations in Scotland hadn't taken place. However, they appear to have been carried out in a reasonably responsible fashion and I would far rather have that than the London-style free for all. I personally don't think that they will make much difference to the crisis, especially when considered for example against the seaside scenes that we recently saw in East Lothian where social distancing appears to have been widely flouted.

Photos from Glasgow. Folk packed together.

0_IMG_9964.jpg

0_IMG_9906.jpg

0_IMG_9973.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You haven't explained clearly how people having a problem with mass gatherings during a pandemic equates to Scotland being racist.

😂 Sorry I haven't produced the thesis. You haven't explained clearly how it doesn't? 

spirt of 98
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Rare?

Check you facts as last year black people dying in Police custody amounted to 8% of the deaths in custody. It’s just it’s hardly reported when a white person dies in Police custody. 

People really should check facts and not be led by the media. You really need to have a balanced well rounded view of life or become a zombie believing the sensational headlines. 

for the record 8% is disproportionate as black people only make up 3% of the population. So yes there is an issue worth exploring. 

Also these figure are from England and Wales, struggling to find Scottish figures. 

Edited by spirt of 98

18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I thought the backup police officers only arrived after he had beat the crap out of the first two.

7 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

No because I understand the great strength and lack of feeling of pain a person can exceed whilst displaying symptoms of excited delirium a condition that also means the persons body uses up the oxygen and causes them to stop breathing. Excited delirium is common in people who have used drugs and get in to struggles with the Police. 

But of course I won’t have to explain that to you as you are an expert after narrowly reading about how racism caused him to have 23 injuries. 

You seem to be keen to have personal pops at me for some reason. In particular, you will notice that at no point have I said that racism played a part in his injuries or death. I do not know either way, but I certainly think that this factor should be covered by the inquiry.

If you don't think that an unarmed man suffering 23 separate injuries and dying during an arrest merits close investigation then we don't have much to argue about because apparently we won't see common ground. I'll leave it to others to try to work out why you think a situation like that is normal or indeed should be considered a normal outcome of policing in Scotland.

Just now, SE16 3LN said:

😂 Sorry I haven't produced the thesis. You haven't explained clearly how it doesn't? 

:cornette: 

The burden of proof lies upon the person making the claim.

@Ray Gin: Yes, those photos make me angry, to be honest. I had only seen other photos where the social distancing looked reasonable. The only consolation is that the large majority appear to be masked.

spirt of 98
Just now, Ray Gin said:

Tying yourself in knots. :lol: 

Not really just have a factual debate not twisting stuff to suit my agenda like you! 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, kila said:

I can only assume you fall into the BAME category thus can comment on levels of racism you've experienced in the country to make such statements.

Your points about mass protests/gatherings during a pandemic are fair though.

What i was talking about was really the attitudes when speaking to people. I don’t hear the same talk up here about Asians in particular that I heard down there. 
Is it because we don’t have the same amount of ethnic people in Edinburgh? Possibly I don’t know. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Gordon Ramsay
1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

We have been specifically told not to have mass gatherings as we are in the middle of a pandemic. 

In fact we are not even meant to meet up with more than one other household outdoors. Now I'm not the smartest guy in the world but a simple request from the government during a pandemic I think I can manage. 

I think the general feeling on these three threads isn't racism but maybe, just maybe, common sense. Seems you may be lacking there. 

Ron Burgundy
5 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Check you facts as last year black people dying in Police custody amounted to 8% of the deaths in custody. It’s just it’s hardly reported when a white person dies in Police custody. 

People really should check facts and not be led by the media. You really need to have a balanced well rounded view of life or become a zombie believing the sensational headlines. 

for the record 8% is disproportionate as black people only make up 3% of the population. So yes there is an issue worth exploring. 

I watched a YouTube video by Candace Owens who is apparently a conservative commentator and political activist in America ( I had never heard of her as I have no in-depth knowledge of American politics) who gave reasons for the last line of your post. For the record she is black.

And as usual I will need to post the inevitable but obvious disclaimer that I was disgusted with the way the police murdered career criminal George Floyd but fail to see the obvious racial intent as one of the other cops looked Asian and another Hispanic.

But I have bigger fish to fry than waste energy being outraged about his death which so far seems to have been used as an excuse to get new trainers and computers by his fellow black citizens in America and give the young bored white middle classes a day out over here.

Lets protest about Saudi Arabia or Chinese human rights issues. I would hold those closer to my heart than this current trending hashtag.

19 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

:cornette: 

The burden of proof lies upon the person making the claim.

So white folks decide if they're being racist 😂😂😂😂

You're comedy gold this morning.

I've got a car to tax so I'll be off. You've made me laugh this Monday morning though.

3 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

We have been specifically told not to have mass gatherings as we are in the middle of a pandemic. 

In fact we are not even meant to meet up with more than one other household outdoors. Now I'm not the smartest guy in the world but a simple request from the government during a pandemic I think I can manage. 

I think the general feeling on these three threads isn't racism but maybe, just maybe, common sense. Seems you may be lacking there. 

I've made my views quite clear, if you can't understand it then you're the one with a problem.