Is Scottish football corrupt

Diadora Van Basten

Diadora Van Basten

Just wondered what other people view is.

I think when we were challenging Celtic for the title and they were top of the fair play league and we were bottom showed that it wasn’t a level playing field.

Just now, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think when we were challenging Celtic for the title and they were top of the fair play league and we were bottom showed that it wasn’t a level playing field.

Is the Pope a Catholic?

Diadora Van Basten

I am sure there will be alternative views (eventually). It would be good to have a poll.

Edited by Diadora Van Basten

Hectormasson
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Is the Pope a Catholic?

It's as bent as an arabs sandal  ....  c....s

To a  man🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🤟

Vlad Magic

You just have to look at the OF record of drawing each other in the Scottish Cup.

I would love for a serious statistician to look at the odds and publish the figures.

Of course. When there's lots of money to be made, those who gain will do all they can to keep the status quo.

There is little integrity to the game here. The refereeing setup is a huge part of that.

brunoatemyhamster

Ive been saying its bent for my whole footballing life. 

It's just now the " they're just incompetent"  brigade can't defend any of the shite their up too. 

There is not even one get out for this anymore. 

They are 100% corrupt. 

Yes. But sometimes the corruption suits teams out with the OF too (including us). That’s where the difficulty in stopping it lies. 

JamboGraham
8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Each club is self serving to the nth degree, that’s for sure. 

Indeed, and the size/wealth of the club dictates how effective they can be at self-serving. The outcome of this being that others are under served by comparison.

Yes, more often than not, outcomes (sporting and administrative) favour the largest clubs with the most wealth. This appears to be replicated across world football. I think it particularly acute in Scotland due to chasm between the relative size of Celtic, Rangers and everyone else. We are all in the “same league” in name only.

If Celtic and Rangers were to leave our game though I think we can be quite confident that ourselves, Aberdeen and to a lesser extent Hibs would be looking for sporting and administrative outcomes relative to our new found standing in the pecking order.

Seymour M Hersh
25 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

You just have to look at the OF record of drawing each other in the Scottish Cup.

I would love for a serious statistician to look at the odds and publish the figures.

Or referees for the cup final out with the glasgow region.

Restonbabe

Every club is out to one up each other. Those robust negotiations or in any other field bullying and harrasment recently, shows it for what exactly it is. 

For as long as I can remember Scottish football is centred focused towards Glasgow and two clubs. 

The fact they have gotten away with it for near on 40 years tells you everything. 

Far too many clubs that think they're bigger than they are. 

42 member clubs in a nation of 5 million, more than half of them are part time is the fundamental issue why Scottish football has stagnated and we haven't qualified for a major tournament in 20 years. 

Clubs are not going to vote to exclude themselves from the SPFL 

So corruption will always be there. 

Until we find an Arab sheik willing to pump millions into us to buy the league then nothing will change. 

If you can watch a game involving anybody vs the old firm and say the officials aren’t biased then you’re not looking hard enough. ALL the little decisions go in their favour until they’ve gone two or three up, at which point things become more balanced. It’s a formula i’ve watched play out more times over the last 20 years than i’d care to remember. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
27 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

There was a statistics study carried out many years ago by, I think it was, the mathematics department of Nottingham University, using the amount of times the Old Firm had been drawn together before reaching the Scottish Cup Final since the end of WWII. The result was that it was such a long shot that it was considered statistically impossible. If further proof was needed, it came within a couple of years of the change to televised draws when they were drawn against each other in the 3rd or 4th round (only the second time since the end of the war). The shock of the commentators was quite palpable. There was a definite sense that something 'wrong' had happened, though they tried their best not to put it into words.

buzzbomb1958
50 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Scottish football is as bent as a dugs hind legs

55 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think I'd ask how many levels of corruption there is and how far it reaches out.  To answer your question, yes I think it is.

heartmussel
53 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Absolutely,and whenever football starts and whatever league we are in I hope we are bottom of the fair play league,and for many years to come 🤛 

ToadKiller Dog

It is and its not subtle and amateurish. 

Every club is a wilful participant too.

Since Rangers died ,celtic took over as top dog and are every bit as much controlling as david Murray's rangers was .except the dont have the banks to help bully other clubs .

Celtic have been very clever by placing their people in pivotal roles and the way they use their supporters in social media .

Self interest ,jealousy ,and lack of ambition from all other clubs makes it easy .

As does a compliant media. 

We witnessed it when rangers died and the other top flight clubs voted to keep the 11/1 vote based on fear of splitting home gate money .

We have had people in charge at Hearts who have put their head up and called it out ,more so Vlad ,partly he was easy to knock down because of his style ,all other clubs didn't like him talking truth so they made up a rule to punish him .

Ann Budge knows but is to polite to call it openly and has tried to change with in.

Even the Pieman was a lead figure when the spl clubs voted to leave the league, maybe the only time when clubs worked for the common good .

We are disliked by most other clubs for the reason we are one of the few which at least makes a noise .

I really cant see any major change any time ,a compromise will be reached over our expulsion ,I dont think they expected us to fight so hard or the potential death of so many clubs ,once through this period things will return back to usual and fans will still be complaining in 5 years time .

55 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Before it was televised it was blatant (look how often they both managed to get to finals avoiding each other) now its more difficult to do

23 minutes ago, haj said:

If you can watch a game involving anybody vs the old firm and say the officials aren’t biased then you’re not looking hard enough. ALL the little decisions go in their favour until they’ve gone two or three up, at which point things become more balanced. It’s a formula i’ve watched play out more times over the last 20 years than i’d care to remember. 

Yup, we get a free kick in our 1\2 they get theirs just outside our box. Then we get pulled back for a free kick to US when we’re on a breaking attack.

There is no doubting that it is corrupt.

Another major problem we have with the game up here is that it is weak. The standard of football, the owners of clubs, the SFA, the SPFL, the media, they are all weak, this has been proved over the last 8-10 weeks.

I'm not sure about out-and-out corruption, but it's certainly incompetent. It's also weighted heavily in favour of two clubs to the extent that makes it almost impossible, finances aside, that any club will ever be allowed to beat those two clubs to the title. That heavy bias is caused by the fact that any time any major decision, on or off the field, goes against either of the Old Firm, they bellow about it (and their supporters create threats about it) to such an extent that the authorities and referees are scared to stand up to them in any way. It gives them an easier and more stress-free life to be lenient and to suck up to Rangers and Celtic so that's exactly what they do.

SectionDJambo

The corruption in Scottish football, rather than direct changing hands of money, is entirely down to religious bigotry, and the fear of reprisal against anyone who crosses Rangers or Celtic, in my view. 

The poison of sectarianism is rife in Scotland, particularly in the west, where the power base of Scottish football has been for over 100 years. There cannot be another country in Europe, where the support for the 2 biggest clubs comes so heavily from entrenched religious standpoints, even though many of their followers don't go near a church or chapel, except for weddings and funerals. Those 2 clubs claim to be discouraging sectarianism, but in reality realise it is where their power emanates. 

It stands to reason, that this corrupt influence will be entwined in the corridors of power, including the pool of referees. It will also be embedded in the sports media, which is reflected in their lack of enthusiasm for anything which might upset the embarrassing monopoly of these entities in Scotland. You only need to see the difference in refereeing and assessments of crowd behaviour, when they play in European competition, for evidence of how much help they get in the domestic competition.

Sadly, it won't change any time soon. 

Independence
1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Totally corrupt has been for as long as I can remember and I am 63!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s corrupt in the sense that it (quite openly) works for two teams above all others 

I don't disagree with that but logically with their wealth that should be the ordinary outcome 

highlandjambo3
36 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

It is and its not subtle and amateurish. 

Every club is a wilful participant too.

Since Rangers died ,celtic took over as top dog and are every bit as much controlling as david Murray's rangers was .except the dont have the banks to help bully other clubs .

Celtic have been very clever by placing their people in pivotal roles and the way they use their supporters in social media .

Self interest ,jealousy ,and lack of ambition from all other clubs makes it easy .

As does a compliant media. 

We witnessed it when rangers died and the other top flight clubs voted to keep the 11/1 vote based on fear of splitting home gate money .

We have had people in charge at Hearts who have put their head up and called it out ,more so Vlad ,partly he was easy to knock down because of his style ,all other clubs didn't like him talking truth so they made up a rule to punish him .

Ann Budge knows but is to polite to call it openly and has tried to change with in.

Even the Pieman was a lead figure when the spl clubs voted to leave the league, maybe the only time when clubs worked for the common good .

We are disliked by most other clubs for the reason we are one of the few which at least makes a noise .

I really cant see any major change any time ,a compromise will be reached over our expulsion ,I dont think they expected us to fight so hard or the potential death of so many clubs ,once through this period things will return back to usual and fans will still be complaining in 5 years time .

You forgot to mention......match officials are going to completely hammer us (even more) now.

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s corrupt in the sense that it (quite openly) works for two teams above all others 

That's my view.  Count the teams who've won the league title for the last 30-odd years.  It won't take long.

Just now, Sir Gio said:

I don't disagree with that but logically with their wealth that should be the ordinary outcome 

Wealth can't guarantee success though, it just makes it more probable.

A Leicester winning the league type situation would never be allowed to take place up here.

23 minutes ago, Gambo said:

There is no doubting that it is corrupt.

Another major problem we have with the game up here is that it is weak. The standard of football, the owners of clubs, the SFA, the SPFL, the media, they are all weak, this has been proved over the last 8-10 weeks.

Mostly driven by the fact that other than about 10 clubs the rest are really just a bunch of amateurs playing at being professional. Found it hard agreeing with Strachan last week but he was 100% spot on 

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Yes. Match officials have in the past admitted that they referee the old firm differently to everyone else. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Wealth can't guarantee success though, it just makes it more probable.

A Leicester winning the league type situation would never be allowed to take place up here.

Between 1903 and 1938 only Motherwell broke the duopoly. 

Between 1946 and 1966 9 teams won the league. 

In the 80s both Aberdeen and Dundee United did, and we nearly did. 

So we are back in the 1903 to WWII phase. 

The England comparison is not the best.  Budget was still large at Leicester and came at a time when the rest were in some form of transition. 

We could buy an entire squad on Odsonne Edouard or Morelos sale price. 

Let's go back to the 2 periods of success. 

Post WWII crowds boomed all across Scotland and we were all relatively wealthy,  the playing field was even as it ever has been. 

Crowds dwindled,  Celtic had their greatest team and we slipped away collectively. 

Into the 80s both Celtic and Rangers had low attendance,  Aberdeen and Dundee United stumbled upon home grown talent and incredible managers but at this point,  again the OF were not rich relatively. 

Since football has boomed,  cash has been awash,  money comes to money and with it power.

Proving corruption is difficult,  its been proven to exist and we know it happens. 

How influential it is,  we just don't know,  maybe I don't want to know. 

The wealth I would say is a far greater determining factor. 

Our Championship season could be evidentiary 

ToadKiller Dog
15 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You forgot to mention......match officials are going to completely hammer us (even more) now.

That's another example when the head of refs was asked why do so many top level refs come from just 2 areas ,Lanarkshire ,Glasgow ,he wittered some pish ,about how refs in those areas grow up harder due to the  toughness of the game in that area. 

Totaly corrupt .

Bull's-eye

Of course it is.

No matter what the failings are and there have been many over the years disregarding the behaviour of the entire set up recently, there is never any change, lessons are never learned, the future is never up for discussion, progress is just not on the table.

We all know why, the status quo must be adhered to no matter what the cost.

Corrupt to the core.

gorgie rd eh11

In 2005 i'd have said biased but not corrupt. My views have changed massively over the last 15 years.

45 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

The England comparison is not the best.  Budget was still large at Leicester and came at a time when the rest were in some form of transition.

Fair point. I suppose the point I was trying to make is that if a team were to push ahead of the OF close despite the huge financial disparity, then other factors such as refereeing decisions, media unsettling of the team and players, or pure St Liedown situations would be brought into play to try to ensure that the team in question did not break the duopoly stranglehold on the title. It would take a team who were doing magnificently well to overcome these extra barriers.

niblick1874
1 hour ago, haj said:

I have watched the exact same thing for 55 years. I can't see a better chance coming along than a court case now to shine a light on the corruption. If the right judge is in place we might see some change for the better. Nothing but a court case by us will do it for me. Hearts know what is headed our way if it's the same people in charge. It will be every team that get the nod with the 50 50s against us and not just them two. 

No court case means Hearts have rolled over and taken it. Hearts know that. There are no if's and's or but's to that. 

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Or referees for the cup final out with the glasgow region.

Thats been taken care of Seymour- There basically aren't any😟

Diadora Van Basten
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

When were we challenging celtic for the title? 

The George Burley season

steven_mck
1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Of course it is.

No matter what the failings are and there have been many over the years disregarding the behaviour of the entire set up recently, there is never any change, lessons are never learned, the future is never up for discussion, progress is just not on the table.

We all know why, the status quo must be adhered to no matter what the cost.

Corrupt to the core.

So what are you suggesting to happen next then? Corruption is human nature, it's money, it's power. Anyway, as a club we should get our own house in order before blaming others for any of our problems.

Jingle Bells
3 hours ago, haj said:

Yep, add in the false bookings, penalties and sending offs to applying the Advantage Rule and Off Side Rule to one team only and it then become dificult to beat them. Also the exclusion zone around Scott Brown, which no player is allowed to enter.