ROY BARRY

Tasavallan

Tasavallan

The first Hearts' player that I (my father) got signature of.   It was after the Stanley Matthews match at Tynie in 1964.  I was too short to see over the perimeter wall.  

jambo-in-furness

IMO he was the best centre half in Scotland at that time,  I was really pissed off when he moved to Dunfermline.  And I suspect Jock Stein was Dunfy manager at the time and he knew a thing or two about fitbaw.

Marty Byrde

Met him a few times. A gent and always happy to talk about his time at the club. Spoke about a world club championship (50s) If I remember correctly.

He worked in Robb’s Shipyards and the few times I’ve met him he loves to tell me he was a Hibee.

Last time I saw him he was still working at Edinburgh Airport. Yes Roy Barry is a good lad even 

though he was a Hibee.

Roy Barry lived above my grandparents at St, Johns Road In Corstorphine, when I was a very wee boy.

I vaguely remember him being a friendly chap.

The thread title gave me a wee fright!

2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

He worked in Robb’s Shipyards and the few times I’ve met him he loves to tell me he was a Hibee.

Last time I saw him he was still working at Edinburgh Airport. Yes Roy Barry is a good lad even 

though he was a Hibee.

Worked beside my dad at Robbs..

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, jambo-in-furness said:

IMO he was the best centre half in Scotland at that time,  I was really pissed off when he moved to Dunfermline.  And I suspect Jock Stein was Dunfy manager at the time and he knew a thing or two about fitbaw.

Yet another good player, who the terrible Hearts board, of the time, sold or got rid off far too quickly and cheaply. We can add guys like Tommy Traynor, George Fleming, Willie Wallace and Arthur Mann to that list. And of course, Willie Hamilton who seems to have just not been managed or cared for properly.

B A DOUBLE R Y

B A DOUBLR R Y 

B A DOUBLE R Y

Barry is a ..........

Well we were disappointed that he was at Dunfermline! All in the football past!

What a tough defender and I’m sure a real decent bloke!

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

B A DOUBLE R Y

B A DOUBLR R Y 

B A DOUBLE R Y

Barry is a ..........

Well we were disappointed that he was at Dunfermline! All in the football past!

Especially in 1968. 

Tasavallan
21 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Yet another good player, who the terrible Hearts board, of the time, sold or got rid off far too quickly and cheaply. We can add guys like Tommy Traynor, George Fleming, Willie Wallace and Arthur Mann to that list. And of course, Willie Hamilton who seems to have just not been managed or cared for properly.

That Hearts board during 60s were absolute shite considering the success of he 50s.

1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

That Hearts board during 60s were absolute shite considering the success of he 50s.

Lindsay OUT!!

22 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Lindsay OUT!!

Yep, disaster after disaster with that crowd. Culminating in relegation. Things did not get better till  recertifications arrived.

6 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Yep, disaster after disaster with that crowd. Culminating in relegation. Things did not get better till  recertifications arrived.

I thought Lindsay was gone by the mid 70s.

It was a time of change, reconstruction (!!) and a Premier Division with 10 clubs!

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I thought Lindsay was gone by the mid 70s.

It was a time of change, reconstruction (!!) and a Premier Division with 10 clubs!

You are right. One bad board followed another. The Bank of Scotland had there men in there and it all became about serving their debt.

We got George Millar from them and I'm pretty sure him and Barry were the captains in the 1968 final.  Dunfy got the better of the deal.  My mate called Millar 20 thousand quid worth of pass-backs and he was about right.

jambos are go!

At the start of the sixties crowds started to decline with the large scale ending of Saturday morning working. Plus England got rid of the maximum wage and looked more attractive to good Scottish players or prospects.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

We got George Millar from them and I'm pretty sure him and Barry were the captains in the 1968 final.  Dunfy got the better of the deal.  My mate called Millar 20 thousand quid worth of pass-backs and he was about right.

Don’t think we signed Miller directly from Dunfermline, I’m sure he came from an English club. Miller was a class player.

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I remember him playing at Tannadice in the 6-5 game. I always liked him, but mibbae I'm easy pleased.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Don’t think we signed Miller directly from Dunfermline, I’m sure he came from an English club. Miller was a class player.

"Pretty" sure he came from Dunfermline.

6 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Wolves

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

This.
It was the beginning of the end of a Golden Era for Hearts.

7 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Came from Wolves

22 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

This.
It was the beginning of the end of a Golden Era for Hearts.

Started with the sacking of Tommy Walker and a succession of poor managers and boards that sold anything and anyone that was worth money.  A huge decline till Mercer arrived on the scene.

10 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Your correct, both were the captains that day.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Deevers said:

Started with the sacking of Tommy Walker and a succession of poor managers and boards that sold anything and anyone that was worth money.  A huge decline till Mercer arrived on the scene.

It was grim times.

Sergemcmurto

I had the pleasure of working beside Roy Barry at the airport for a couple of years. 

An absolute gentleman with a great sense of humour and a wealth of fantastic tales about the football and his extremely colourful life. 

He played against pele in a pre season game when he was with Coventry city. 

Sergemcmurto

I had the pleasure of working with Roy Barry for a couple of years at the airport. 

An absolute gentleman with a great sense of humour who has a wealth of fantastic football tales as well as some about his colourful life!

He played against Pele and Santos when he was with Coventry city on a pre season trip to Malaysia and told us that the entire team was desperate to get hold of Pele's shirt at full time only for Pele to take his shirt off and hand it to a 17 year old who Coventry had taken along to clean the boots etc!

20 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Arthur Mann was sold for a record price for full back at the time so wasn't sold on the cheap. Think it was about £70k.

Edited by Section Q

SectionDJambo
13 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Arthur Mann was sold for a record price for full back at the time so wasn't sold on the cheap. Think it was about £70k.

Wasn't a massive amount, even for that time though. Decent amount, but not money to enable us to step things up.  Hearts were easy to deal with in those days.

davemclaren
17 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

At the start of the sixties crowds started to decline with the large scale ending of Saturday morning working. Plus England got rid of the maximum wage and looked more attractive to good Scottish players or prospects.

Yip, two important events that had a big negative impact on Scottish football. 

16 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Wasn't a massive amount, even for that time though. Decent amount, but not money to enable us to step things up.  Hearts were easy to deal with in those days.

"""He was signed by Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison for a then club record of £65,000""".......👍

TorinoJambo
23 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

Was at his testimonial end of 69/70 v Coventry  my first ever game  0-0

I was at that. A friday night game.

johnthomas
38 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Thought it was £40k 

We had started a 3rd team a couple of seasons earlier Mann was the first graduate from that set up . Sold as soon as possible

Turkishcap
13 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

I was at that. A friday night game.

Yep, loved the whole experience but at the time had black n white tv so the colour of the strips amazed me.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Tragically died quite young.

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Tragically died quite young.

An accident at work, I think.

Terrible.

On 05/06/2020 at 20:12, SectionDJambo said:

Add Alan Gordon to that list!

On 05/06/2020 at 20:01, jbee647 said:

Worked beside my dad at Robbs..

Any idea when that was,I worked there mid 70s until it closed.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

An accident at work, I think.

Terrible.

I think you’re right.

I saw Arthur Mann playing for Notts County in a league cup game at Stamford bridge.  He really stood out in a pretty poor side.  Might have bern close to the end of his career.

Very sorry to learn he died young.  Good player.

TorinoJambo
On 06/06/2020 at 16:33, SectionDJambo said:

I remember the first game after he was sold. The chant was "you can stick yer seventy thousand up yer arse". 2-2 v St Johnstone. 

Edited by TorinoJambo