Aussies / Kiwi's

Салатные палочки

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Did ye😳

Not me but it's true. Before we explained standard dialling codes they couldn't work out how to use the the phones. 😉

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• graygo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Unknown user

Just now, graygo said:

Not me but it's true. Before we explained standard dialling codes they couldn't work out how to use the the phones. 😉

:rofl:

A Boy Named Crow
2 hours ago, graygo said:

There's a place up the East coast called 1770 which disagrees with that point. 😉

Ha, aye but claiming territory in the name of Britain is hardly the establishment of a new country, with its own identity.  The Commonwealth of Australia was formed (founded?) On the 1st of Jan 1901.

22 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Lived in Oz for 2 years spending most of my time in Melbourne and a wee semi-outback town called Childers.

Naturally the wee town was a bit more racist towards the Aboriginals than the big multicultural city. However I wouldn't say anymore so than here in the UK.

Also went on holiday to Bali for 2 weeks whilst there and can barely even remember seeing that many Aussies. Not to say they weren't there. Just that they weren't causing a scene. To refer to it as the Benidorm for Aussies is a bit of a stretch, it's nowhere near the scale of tackiness as that.

very much depends on where in Bali you were, Seminyak or Kuta Beach areas are full of ‘lads on tour/brits abroad’ type Aussies. We luckily stayed in Benoa Bay and not once did we see that kind of tourist near us

57 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Ha, aye but claiming territory in the name of Britain is hardly the establishment of a new country, with its own identity.  The Commonwealth of Australia was formed (founded?) On the 1st of Jan 1901.

There were over 1/2 million living in Victoria alone in 1860. 3.7 million non aborigines by 1900.

Edited by graygo

Maple Leaf
On 05/06/2020 at 08:17, Tazio said:

Mentioning New Zealander’s as being like Australians is like comparing Canadians to Americans. 

As in don't ever.  EVER!!!

Салатные палочки

Another thing. Every sentence sounds like a question. 

27 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

My sister in law lifts her voice at the end of EVERY ****IN SENTENCE so everything she ever says sounds like a sentence and she's from Greenock of down under, talk about having ones pisss boiled🤬

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Sounds like a certain poster.

27 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Is he from Hamilton? 

8 hours ago, Bad Religion said:

Ca you expand on this please? Have you been to New Zealand or have you just watched Once Were Warriors and think you understand NZ culture?

I spent 6 months there working & travelling the length and breadth of both islands, from Cape Reinga to Invercargil via about 50 stops. The scenery is without a doubt the best in the world that I have seen (never been to Canada). 

I was genuinely taken aback by the number of bikers there, lots with guns clipped to their bikes and saw more than one bar brawl. It wasn't confined to the more rural outposts although I only saw craft beer in Wellington. A lot of the guys I spoke to were what you would call 'rugby lads' only their attitudes towards women were even worse the their British counterparts. 

To counter this, I met some great guys in New Zealand but they all seemed to be from one of the cities and barely knew what rugby was. Hence why I say it was  a mixed bag. I think people expect NZ to be this idyllic quiet place, but it isnt. Not really. 

The bakeries are also ****ing abysmal and ran by the chinese locals, who couldn't bake a pie if their lives depended on it. I found that more offensive than the cavemen. 

Rick James

Aussies seem to share a lot of similarities with Americans. Obnoxious, pretty ignorant and a lot of them have unsavoury views.

Only met one known Kiwi, a tourist I got chatting to at work one day. We spoke for about 45 minutes and if it wasn't for the fact I had to get back to the office, I'd have gladly kept talking. One of the nicest fella's I've ever met.

A Boy Named Crow
9 hours ago, graygo said:

There were over 1/2 million living in Victoria alone in 1860. 3.7 million non aborigines by 1900.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at.  My point was Australia as we know it,  was only formed in 1901. Prior to that, the states were independent of each other, running in competition. Prior to that,  it belonged to the aborigines.  So Australia as we know it, is really only almost 120 years old. Still very young, and heavily influenced by the cultures that moved here. 

Doctor FinnBarr
12 hours ago, graygo said:

I've been to Humpty Doo, heading down from Darwin it's the turn off for Kakadu National park and is exactly as you described it.

As for Oz being racist, it's a generalisation but yes, yes it is. I had a conversation with some dick in Sydney who told me it the most multicultural city, and it probably is but the Italians live in Leichhardt, the Greeks live in Randwick, the Vietnamese live in Cabramatta, the Japanese live in Surrey Hills and the Indians live in Harris Park. It might well be multicultural but it's not integrated.

Still an amazing country though.

Its on my "to do" list mate, not Oz, just Humpty Doo.

27 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Its on my "to do" list mate, not Oz, just Humpty Doo.

I wouldn't bother mate. Humpty Doo that is, not Oz.

51 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I'm not really sure what you're getting at.  My point was Australia as we know it,  was only formed in 1901. Prior to that, the states were independent of each other, running in competition. Prior to that,  it belonged to the aborigines.  So Australia as we know it, is really only almost 120 years old. Still very young, and heavily influenced by the cultures that moved here. 

I'm bored and just looking for a debate 😁

I could turn your viewpoint back to you and say that Australia as we know it is not how it was in 1901 either.

Taking away my first sentence, I will admit that you are right. 👍

A Boy Named Crow
10 minutes ago, graygo said:

I could turn your viewpoint back to you and say that Australia as we know it is not how it was in 1901 either.

Ha, to your first sentence, any time 😁

To be fair,  nowhere was as we know it now back in 1901. 

I'm off to enjoy the easing of lockdown here, while it last 

jack D and coke

When I was younger I always thought I’d have loved to go over there and live. Went over 5 years ago, stayed with a mate and some family for a few months and I’m not a home bird or anyone who gets homesick but I got homesick there, not sure why but it just feels all wrong to me. Getting up in the middle of the night to watch games and all that. No for me...
I’ll never forget the day I got home, middle of January, Manchester, pissin down and I was sitting there outside Manchester airport waiting on my train back to Edinburgh thinking this is beautiful thank **** I’m home. 
I have no desire to ever go back down under. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Unknown user

I do like a lot of Australian comedy to be fair, Kath and Kim, Housos, some Chris Lilley stuff although he can be hit or miss, and comedians like Jim Jefferies and Steve Hughes.

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I do like a lot of Australian comedy to be fair, Kath and Kim, Housos, some Chris Lilley stuff although he can be hit or miss, and comedians like Jim Jefferies and Steve Hughes.

Summer Heights High was brilliant. 

Unknown user
Just now, Salad Fingers said:

It was also his peak, nothing else has been quite as good since I think. 

Салатные палочки
51 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It was also his peak, nothing else has been quite as good since I think. 

I would agree with that. Angry Boys was pretty good but repetitive. I actually discovered him by accident one night flicking through the channels and We Can Be Heroes was on. The woman with the built up shoe rolling to Ayers Rock :laugh2:

Unknown user
25 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I would agree with that. Angry Boys was pretty good but repetitive. I actually discovered him by accident one night flicking through the channels and We Can Be Heroes was on. The woman with the built up shoe rolling to Ayers Rock :laugh2:

And Phil Olivetti the wannabe police hero, great stuff!

Of course, his greatest characters came from there, Daniel and Nathan- I had a Danthan Industries t shirt for a while

15 hours ago, graygo said:

The UK of GB and NI is younger than Australia as he knows it. 

:whistling:

9 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Steve Hughes is brilliant. JJ is fake as Feck. Some guy recorded him off camera saying exactly the opposite that he says publicly. 

Edited by ri Alban

The Real Maroonblood
14 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

When I was younger I always thought I’d have loved to go over there and live. Went over 5 years ago, stayed with a mate and some family for a few months and I’m not a home bird or anyone who gets homesick but I got homesick there, not sure why but it just feels all wrong to me. Getting up in the middle of the night to watch games and all that. No for me...
I’ll never forget the day I got home, middle of January, Manchester, pissin down and I was sitting there outside Manchester airport waiting on my train back to Edinburgh thinking this is beautiful thank **** I’m home. 
I have no desire to ever go back down under. 

Been twice to visit relatives but never wanted to stay there.
The place doesn’t do it for me.

luckyBatistuta
On 05/06/2020 at 12:42, Salad Fingers said:

Watching a lot of trash Aussie / Kiwi programmes while working from home currently. 

If you think Weegies are bad then I would love to know what you think of this lot. Never seen a louder, more smart arse race of people in my life. Everyone of them is ready with a joke or a smart arse quip to the camera. 

I have worked with a couple of Aussies in the past and you could hear their voices from miles away. I tried my best to avoid them despite one of them being very attractive. 

I suppose you need to put up a front if you share your country with insects that can make your balls blow up to the size of a balloon or eat you alive. 

On 05/06/2020 at 15:11, FWJ said:

Been to Australia a few times and I’ve always found the people to be fine.  I think the people are just like the British (which isn’t a surprise I suppose) for good or ill.

There’s w**kers the world over.

One thing I do like and which is unlike the US is you don’t have to explain, no, you’re not Irish and you don’t have to adopt an American (or in this case, Australian) accent to make yourself understood.

Drinking culture and sense of humour same as UK (ish).  TV unbelievably s***e.

The only thing that’s a bit tiresome is their attitude to sport.  Australia has to win everything and as soon as they’re knocked out of a competition, that competition ceases to exist on the TV.

Mr Inbetween is a great tv show.

On 06/06/2020 at 17:10, Salad Fingers said:

How uplifting.

:biggrin:

On 06/06/2020 at 17:48, The Real Maroonblood said:

Could you recommend a nice place for lunch?

With parking.

Plus up-to-date information on sales of tickets for Hearts games.

And van hire.

Don’t forget the van hire.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Could you recommend a nice place for lunch?

With parking.

Plus up-to-date information on sales of tickets for Hearts games.

And van hire.

Don’t forget the van hire.

Try Hamilton.

Sydney was interesting, though despite being multicultural I found it all felt a bit segregated. I visited Cairns too, and generally found attitudes there weren't particularly welcoming.

A real mixed bag of a country. Also found it infuriating doing a supermarket shop then having to go queue next door at the bottle shop just to buy alcohol.

Of course I met lots of seemingly decent folk too and generally had a good time.

12 hours ago, Smithee said:

Kath and Kim is funny the first time you watch it, any more and it's like weegie humour - repetitive.

26 minutes ago, kila said:

Sydney was interesting, though despite being multicultural I found it all felt a bit segregated. I visited Cairns too, and generally found attitudes there weren't particularly welcoming.

A real mixed bag of a country. Also found it infuriating doing a supermarket shop then having to go queue next door at the bottle shop just to buy alcohol.

Of course I met lots of seemingly decent folk too and generally had a good time.

Agree with that until I discovered drive thru bottle shops. 😁

14 minutes ago, graygo said:

No, stay in the house or you're scum.

I was actually going to mention that in my diatribe!

:) 

46 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Try Hamilton.

Does anyone know where Hamilton is?

Ummmm...  🤷🏿‍♂️

Unknown user
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Steve Hughes is brilliant. JJ is fake as Feck. Some guy recorded him off camera saying exactly the opposite that he says publicly. 

Glad someone appreciates Steve Hughes, he's brilliant.

We saw him in a blizzard in Amsterdam, everyone thought it had been cancelled so he ended up doing the gig to about 30 of us, I don't think I've ever laughed so hard. 

Re JJ I don't really mind, he's a comedian, he makes me laugh. Legit was a really well made sitcom too.

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Kath and Kim is funny the first time you watch it, any more and it's like weegie humour - repetitive.

You're not making any sense mate

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952842093c42fb287b596

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Glad someone appreciates Steve Hughes, he's brilliant.

We saw him in a blizzard in Amsterdam, everyone thought it had been cancelled so he ended up doing the gig to about 30 of us, I don't think I've ever laughed so hard. 

Re JJ I don't really mind, he's a comedian, he makes me laugh. Legit was a really well made sitcom too.

You're not making any sense mate

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952842093c42fb287b596

Steve Hughes' "Be Offended" act cracks me right. :D

Edited by ri Alban

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Steve Hughes' "Be Offended" act cracks me right. :D

Any act that comes on stage to Slayer's Raining Blood starts in my good books!

He's a top quality metal drummer too, talented bloke.

Салатные палочки
15 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'll see your

And raise you

Dby4l6_V4AAemxm.jpg

:laugh2: even the Dingo looks like he's thinking "this place is ****** up". 

Screenshot_20200608-123506_Facebook.thumb.jpg.c8e1193b0c990a18954e090fde0d7c8f.jpg

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

We were there last November and absolutely loved it. Brisbane, Noosa, Melbourne and Sydney and a few smaller towns in Queenland like Eumundi and Gympie. Everywhere we went we found the locals to be great with us. All welcoming and friendly. If course that was only for a few weeks.

Once this shit is done we are going back down under.  

If I had my time again I would love to live in Brisbane. I absolutely loved the place. Anyone else see the appeal of Brisbane ? 

New Zealand for us, Bud. May even look to stay for a bit. Canada and NZ are the 2 countries I have on the bucket list. 

Just now, ri Alban said:

New Zealand for us, Bud. May even look to stay for a bit. Canada and NZ are the 2 countries I have on the bucket list. 

South Island - magical place.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

South Island - magical place.

:thumb:

Does NZ have mental animals that I need to know about.

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

:thumb:

Does NZ have mental animals that I need to now about. 

If you mean mental as in great, then you have keas, dolphins, seals, albatrosses, kiwis and penguins, among other beasties, awaiting you.

If you mean mental as in dangerous, then it's relatively very safe, nowhere like Australia. However: https://www.etanewzealand.com/dangerous-animals-insects-plants-in-new-zealand/

And one or two sheep...

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

If you mean mental as in great, then you have keas, dolphins, seals, albatrosses, kiwis and penguins, among other beasties, awaiting you.

If you mean mental as in dangerous, then it's relatively very safe, nowhere like Australia. However: https://www.etanewzealand.com/dangerous-animals-insects-plants-in-new-zealand/

And one or two sheep...

Dangerous.

Cheers Red! 

Edited by ri Alban