Racism in the UK/Racism is stupid

Rick James

24 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

Islam for a multitude of reasons that I can't be arsed typing out. 

To be clear I don't have a problem with Muslims on an individual basis, some are sound and some are fanatical weirdos. It's just the institution of Islam, sharia laws, the politics of it and the exploits of mohammed and the fanatical bam pots 

I've the same attitude, I think Islam gets an easy time by the press, 30 Christians can be murdered in an African country, as has happened recently, and nothing is said.

I also think it's I don't want to say "fashionable" but it's certainly acceptable to heavily criticise Judaism and the Jewish people for what's done in Israel but bring up Islamist atrocities and you're "islamophobic". I'm aware we're talking about extremists, I think its the press that twists the aggenda, it's OK to hate Judaism as long as you say it's "Zionism" you hate, and "I'm not antisemitic because I criticise Isreal.

The press have a huge amount of blame lying on there doorstep, the child grooming gangs in Yorkshire being allowed to carry on for years because of the fear of offending Muslim communities was disgrace.

I'll sit back and wait to be called kind of racist now.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maroonlegions

• Beast Boy

• Dawnrazor

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn’t make any sense. 

Scientifically it’s so beyond stupid. Hating someone because of your dislike or mistrust of the amount of melanin in their body? 

What a truly stupid world we live in. 

:lol:

I can't speak for the general population but I can speak how it can grow in one persons mind. I worked  as a policeman on the Vancouver Waterfront. One of our regular activities was removing women from foreign ships, the majority of whom were natives. They were not prostitutes in the true sense of the definition but did take money, jewelry and other gifts as compensation for sexual acts. The other group were basically homeless alcoholics and sometimes drug addicted who used the area to carry out their individual choice practise. Both groups were indigenous Canadians, I admit I became prejudiced against them and enforced the law diligently with probably no compromise. I can well imagine that in some areas of the United States working in majority black communities some police officers develop similar concepts.

As my efforts at improving my education produced promotions I was delegated different duties. Some of these involved committees. One such was involved in encouraging indigenous youth into police careers. I met some of the young people and was highly impressed by them. The Department instituted a ride along program so they could see what the job involved, we later instituted another program where we offered them temporary employment as radio dispatchers a relief for our permanent employees holiday periods. I cannot say we were inundated with applications for the job, but the purpose of mutual understanding was achieved.

I realise and admit I had gained extreme racist views, in my total ignorance I felt that the bad examples were  the epitomy of the whole, so wrong.

Until Americans and particularly  police have similar experience and understanding as I have gained, racism, racist acts, and  tragedy occur. I say in seriousness my opinion of many Niddrie residents was not too far different as was my attitude to them. 

There is racism in Scotland sadly - a lot of it stems from ‘foreigners here taking our jobs etc’ and people believing the press and being uneducated. My husband is foreign and is a taxi driver - he’s been racially abused or had comments quite a lot - ‘how have you got a taxi’?  He tells them they are given them when they get off the plane/boat along with a house 🤣  The worse was two women he dropped off at Roseburn/Murrayfield - Called him everything

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, fbjambo said:

There is racism in Scotland sadly - a lot of it stems from ‘foreigners here taking our jobs etc’ and people believing the press and being uneducated. My husband is foreign and is a taxi driver - he’s been racially abused or had comments quite a lot - ‘how have you got a taxi’?  He tells them they are given them when they get off the plane/boat along with a house 🤣  The worse was two women he dropped off at Roseburn/Murrayfield - Called him everything

Your second last sentence was brilliant.

Sadly arseholes everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I can't speak for the general population but I can speak how it can grow in one persons mind. I worked  as a policeman on the Vancouver Waterfront. One of our regular activities was removing women from foreign ships, the majority of whom were natives. They were not prostitutes in the true sense of the definition but did take money, jewelry and other gifts as compensation for sexual acts. The other group were basically homeless alcoholics and sometimes drug addicted who used the area to carry out their individual choice practise. Both groups were indigenous Canadians, I admit I became prejudiced against them and enforced the law diligently with probably no compromise. I can well imagine that in some areas of the United States working in majority black communities some police officers develop similar concepts.

As my efforts at improving my education produced promotions I was delegated different duties. Some of these involved committees. One such was involved in encouraging indigenous youth into police careers. I met some of the young people and was highly impressed by them. The Department instituted a ride along program so they could see what the job involved, we later instituted another program where we offered them temporary employment as radio dispatchers a relief for our permanent employees holiday periods. I cannot say we were inundated with applications for the job, but the purpose of mutual understanding was achieved.

I realise and admit I had gained extreme racist views, in my total ignorance I felt that the bad examples were  the epitomy of the whole, so wrong.

Until Americans and particularly  police have similar experience and understanding as I have gained, racism, racist acts, and  tragedy occur. I say in seriousness my opinion of many Niddrie residents was not too far different as was my attitude to them. 

I think the Police have a terribly difficult job, maybe not the time to say so given the circumstance, but the few I know are at the coal face of arsehole behaviour, I can see how a Policeman's attitude could be tainted over years of dealing with bampots. One I shoot with worked in West Yorkshire for about 15 years, what got to him was the disregard for laws by some Muslim men, going to meetings and hearing people defend fgm, honour killing, the misogynistic attitues to domestic abuse, under age sex. He's retired now and will be happy to tell you about the great people he dealt with too. My son has placed the Police at the top of his career choices so I'm maybe sensitive to it just now.

12 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I think the Police have a terribly difficult job, maybe not the time to say so given the circumstance, but the few I know are at the coal face of arsehole behaviour, I can see how a Policeman's attitude could be tainted over years of dealing with bampots. One I shoot with worked in West Yorkshire for about 15 years, what got to him was the disregard for laws by some Muslim men, going to meetings and hearing people defend fgm, honour killing, the misogynistic attitues to domestic abuse, under age sex. He's retired now and will be happy to tell you about the great people he dealt with too. My son has placed the Police at the top of his career choices so I'm maybe sensitive to it just now.

Unfortunately there is no reasonable filter in place to remove the bullies, racists, and thugs from the application process.

1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Unfortunately there is no reasonable filter in place to remove the bullies, racists, and thugs from the application process.

I guess these traits could be allowed to flourish in some forces?

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

I guess these traits could be allowed to flourish in some forces?

They absolutely do. 

15 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I honestly believe the situation has got worse as a result of world disturbance. Canada has been a Country of compassion accepting refugees from countries in turmoil. This I am sure has caused clashes between police who have ben raised in an environment of norms, to men and women who now have to operate among a citizenry who have totally different values, beliefs, and behaviours. I am not sure all discord is a result of racism but is a total difference of opinion what each race deems acceptable and unacceptable, and that again I am sure can dictate attitudes and actions. 

3 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

They absolutely do. 

Our local rural/wlo policeman is a great guy, he's said to me how his heart sinks everytime a policeman is found to be guilty of something, I get where he's coming from as every bad egg taints whatever profession they're in.

9 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I have been out of the police service for going on twenty nine years. When I joined the  Edinburgh police in 1955 I had to give references and was subject to a stringent interview by a Chief Superintendent and a Chief Inspector. hen I was recruited in Vancouver similar procedure but additionally a psychological examination. When I was in charge of the recruiting department we rejected quite a few as a result of the psych test. I believe now the Vancouver police use these and do a lie detector test.

16 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I have been out of the police service for going on twenty nine years. When I joined the  Edinburgh police in 1955 I had to give references and was subject to a stringent interview by a Chief Superintendent and a Chief Inspector. hen I was recruited in Vancouver similar procedure but additionally a psychological examination. When I was in charge of the recruiting department we rejected quite a few as a result of the psych test. I believe now the Vancouver police use these and do a lie detector test.

You come across as a decent bloke. 

highlandjambo3

I’m not racist in any way and never have been.

I worked in Sierra Leone for a year and was often called white boy by strangers I’d never met, often shouting out at me as I passed by in a vehicle.  At first I was a little shocked thinking I was being insulted but, someone quickly pointed out that they were just calling it as they saw it, I was white and male, they didn’t know my name so white boy was shouted to get my attention.  Of course that would not give me a reason to reply black boy as my interpretation of racism and theirs were completely different.  What A strange and violent world we live in.

Anyone spending time in Africa will know what I mean.

Edited by highlandjambo3

11 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

You come across as a decent bloke. 

I am sure that rightly would not be the opinion of all, but I have aged.

The White Cockade

There is racism in the UK, not as bad as the USA but bad enough

The Brexit "debate" let the cat out of the bag in many ways and imo it was the racist vote

that made the difference in the end

It is really difficult to see what can be done to eradicate it as has been around for a long long time

and in most European countries was the "norm" until recent times

It's obviously not just Europeans who are racist though as there are racists in all colours and creeds

I find a lot of Australians extremely racist and it was certainly institutionalised, as per the "whites only" poilicy

and the treatment of the Aboriginal people from the times of the British Colonials arriving all the way to the present

is shameful

but racism exists everywhere and seems to be on the rise again which is very sad

Thankfully we don't experience the same racism at Hearts matches as there was during the Mark Walters era but 

the undercurrent is still there and again seems to be growing last couple of years

chuck berrys hairline

The biggest persecuted group in Britain is Gingers but that doesn't fit the narrative.

Governor Tarkin
16 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

The biggest persecuted group in Britain is Gingers but that doesn't fit the narrative.

:spoton:

Lone Striker
On 04/06/2020 at 11:02, manaliveits105 said:

Intolerance of colour and religion is and has gone on worldwide since time immemorial - it will never go away 

Scotland isnt too bad on racism but may may be down to demographics - we can all only do our own little bit to improve things 

To me there are only two types of people in the world - good or bad 

Correct.    On the assumption what all the posters here are white, just ask yourself - who is the person I actually know personally that I most dislike ?   That person is most likely to be white.     So, not a racial judgement, but simply showing that a personal prejudice can exist outside of racial context.    The weird thing is that anybody or any group fixating their dislike/hate  on folk from another race or religion most likely don't actually know any of  these people and probably can't even explain  why they dislike/hate them.

So needless and sad - and you can understand why people in those race/religeous groups feel scared and oppressed, especially if its also coming from authorities like the police.

fabienleclerq

Was gonna start a thread but here seems to fit for queries /questions. 

I'm struggling with the term White Privilege and trying to get my head around it without being a wee bit defensive, I've not seen an explanation that really changes my view on it.

A family member shared the below link to try explain it but to me the author grew up in a nice neighbourhood/house and went to one of the world's best universities. To me she's been privileged to an extent more than most. Her point seems to be she heard racist things or perceived things to be racist which is abhorrent but to me that's not proving white Privilege and going to a university like harvard is taking advantage of any historical injustice as anyone else. 

https://www.yesmagazine.org/opinion/2017/09/08/my-white-friend-asked-me-on-facebook-to-explain-white-privilege-i-decided-to-be-honest/?fbclid=IwAR32w-Kb7_y9-GjDXT01KdpmbGzQQi47H3tk4EFhVWkPKAAruJRxXWHUwJ4

I've also seen posts saying not being racist or treating people equally isn't enough? So what is? What should I be doing differently? I don't feel privileged because of my skin colour, if anything being born in the UK has given me a massive leg up over most of the world but not my skin colour. I'm sure I read recently white working class males are doing worse than any other group in education, doesn't fit the narrative. 

This is turning into a bit of a ramble but I don't think in the UK in 2020 there's any opportunity denied because of race, racism absolutely exists but white Privilege I don't see. What am I missing? 

Marty Byrde
22 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Leigh Francis has apologised for Bo Selecta, does he need too?

Yeah tbh, it was shit.

I find the whole subject to be tiresome (I realise I'm commenting now) as it's everywhere and invades everything. No decision or remark can ever be made or done without its presence. No failure can be made without it. Nobody ever wants to look beyond.

It's better to take no part in its discussion as you will never be right and live a normal life, which is easy enough in a country which is 90% or so white and nowhere near as bad as it is in USA.

I'll leave it to people actually effected because I'm not and I'm not the cause of it either.

Edited by Marty Byrde

jack D and coke
On 04/06/2020 at 14:12, Sharpie said:

To be honest not many of you really know the true affect of racism and the shunning of certain groups. I am from an age hen a black person only had one descriptive word that was not used to describe them, and that was African. The well known name and the Scots use of the word describing their colour with ie added. Indians  Chinese any ethnic background had a noun that was used. Gays, cripples, mentally ill were all targeted one way or another.

Some time in the forties I was quite young and at Preston Street School when a young my age black boy arrived and came into our class. I got to know him and we got on well. We were still at that age probably around seven or eight when differences were interesting and not reasons for hate and rejection. 

He invited me one time after school to go to where he lived in St Patrick Square, and his grandad invited me back some time for dinner. I proudly advised my mother about my new friend and his grandad, and her strong almost violent response was  that this relationship cease and I would be lucky if I wasn't dinner. Thats racism thats hate, and that was a good woman who honestly beleived in her ignorance what she was doing and saying.

My mum wasn’t allowed to play with the italian

girl that lived next door to her and although my parents are salt of the earth types occasionally they’ve dropped some casual racism. We’ve all been guilty of it but in my case I’ve probably said it when I would’ve called you ugly or fat or ginger or whatever I thought would annoy you the most. 
I don’t have a problem with anyone as long as

youre a good sort. 
Back on subject though Scotland, like anywhere else on the planet has race problems that aren’t as stark as we don’t have lots of ethnic minorities like parts of England does. 

Edited by jack D and coke

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We need less racism imo.

Top post of your entire body of work here, Gov. :thumbsup:

Having the experience of living in both places, I see less out-and-out racism in Scotland--though it does still exist--compared to the US. But I do see more of what you might just call ignorance. For example, a very non-racist person who loves everyone--really does--saying she wanted to order a particular ethnic food for dinner that sounds like what happens when you get a dent in your armour. Or people saying they're going to the Pakistani shop but not saying the whole word. Not meaning it with the least bit of malice, but also not having any concept of how things like that turn their fellow human beings into "others", or how they make them feel.

That's without getting into current political situations and all that, or without touching on structural racism in the UK. I would just say the basic way to eradicate the sort of thing above is through education and awareness raising. Community-wide, nationwide. Hope it happens.

Hopefully at these protests in Scotland, they'll be protesting against separate schools and how Celtic and Rangers fuel this division to make millions. Doubt it! 

The Real Maroonblood
22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Hopefully at these protests in Scotland, they'll be protesting against separate schools and how Celtic and Rangers fuel this division to make millions. Doubt it! 

Can’t argue with that.

Get our own problems sorted.

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Can’t argue with that.

Get our own problems sorted.

May as well. The single most disappointment of the SNP's Scottish Government. Angers me, RM. Really boils ma blood, that this embarrassing feature of Scotland is continuely rubber eared. It needs to be solved and if the Kirk, the Catholic Church or OF don't like it. Tough Shit! 

Edited by ri Alban

The Real Maroonblood
29 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

May as well. The single most disappointment of the SNP's Scottish Government. Angers me, RM. Really boils ma blood, that this embarrassing feature of Scotland is continuely rubber eared. It needs to be solved and if the Kirk, the Catholic Church or OF don't like it. Tough Shit! 

Totally agree with you.

This has always been a real irritation with me and that’s putting it mildly.

maroonlegions

Bound to be racists out in force moaning about   people gathering  on the streets protesting at the "black life" matters" protests , saying we are still in lockdown. Wonder how many of them flaunted those very laws.

102808431_1145932262431641_6498615535430491551_o.jpg

7 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Bound to be racists out in force moaning about   people gathering  on the streets protesting at the "black life" matters" protests , saying we are still in lockdown. Wonder how many of them flaunted those very laws.

I think there was plenty of condemnation of these arse holes at the time.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Whoever she is she’s an arse.

On 04/06/2020 at 18:08, Dawnrazor said:

I've the same attitude, I think Islam gets an easy time by the press, 30 Christians can be murdered in an African country, as has happened recently, and nothing is said.

I also think it's I don't want to say "fashionable" but it's certainly acceptable to heavily criticise Judaism and the Jewish people for what's done in Israel but bring up Islamist atrocities and you're "islamophobic". I'm aware we're talking about extremists, I think its the press that twists the aggenda, it's OK to hate Judaism as long as you say it's "Zionism" you hate, and "I'm not antisemitic because I criticise Isreal.

The press have a huge amount of blame lying on there doorstep, the child grooming gangs in Yorkshire being allowed to carry on for years because of the fear of offending Muslim communities was disgrace.

I'll sit back and wait to be called kind of racist now.

You have got to be joking if you think there is more criticism of Zionism than Islam. Israel has carried out systematic killings and forced deportation and/or internment of millions of Palestinians with the active support of the religious maniacs in the USA. Islamaphobia is prevalent throughout the UK, more in England going by the stuff I see posted by 'friends'. 

2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

You have got to be joking if you think there is more criticism of Zionism than Islam. Israel has carried out systematic killings and forced deportation and/or internment of millions of Palestinians with the active support of the religious maniacs in the USA. Islamaphobia is prevalent throughout the UK, more in England going by the stuff I see posted by 'friends'. 

Pish.

39 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

More likely the same folk who will endanger lives at these protests. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
On 05/06/2020 at 17:10, Dawnrazor said:

Leigh Francis has apologised for Bo Selecta, does he need too?

Apologised for the racism of Bo Selecta how many years before he says sorry for the sexism in Celebrity Juice???

40 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Bit one sided there. Why mention the terrible treatment of the Palestinians yet fail to mention the bombings and beheadings carried out in the name of Islam. It’s not as if all zionists support the actions of the Israeli government. 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Bit one sided there. Why mention the terrible treatment of the Palestinians yet fail to mention the bombings and beheadings carried out in the name of Islam. It’s not as if all zionists support the actions of the Israeli government. 

Exactly. 

14 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Apologised for the racism of Bo Selecta how many years before he says sorry for the sexism in Celebrity Juice???

When he thinks he'll get maximum publicity/sympathy?

The Gorgie

Growing up the only other boy in my street was black. He's a few years older than me but we were good friends, stayed over at each others most weekends and our mums would have nights in all the time. We fell out one time, can't mind the reason as kids probably absolutely nothing. He then went on to call me a milk bottle, as a kid I didn't find this offensive, wouldn't now either. So in return I called him a cola bottle. This offended him and he ran and told my mum. Now both us were in the wrong for our comments yet i was racist and he was innocent. Also remember he had a poster in his bedroom of a black rapper(no idea who) holding Eminems severd head in the air. Again not something i found offensive, wonder what would have been said had he walked into my room and it was the other way round. It's all ****ing stupid.

Ainsley Harriott

People in the UK are quick to forget that migrants from Asian and the Caribbean were key to rebuilding our great country post WW2. 

Even to this day our key services would struggle if it wasnt for the sacrifices people make leaving their homelands to serve our nhs. 

Its interesting that most people say they couldn't give a flying about what race people are, lets all just start to admit we have a little bit of prejudice in us be us Black or White. I have spent the last few weeks months hearing people spouting off about all lives matter, the sentiment within the BLM movement is about the fact that Black Lives continue not to matter. This statement usually comes from people who say they couldn't give a flying about what race people are. You see the issue.

None of us are perfect but to change you must first of all understand the problem.

Jane Elliots Experiment below. came the day after Dr Martin Luther King Jr died, she wanted to let her pupils walk in another mans shoes for a short time. Her methods have been seen as brutal and barbaric but when you start to think about it all she is doing is trying to let people see what black people experience numerous times every day.

luckyBatistuta
7 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

People in the UK are quick to forget that migrants from Asian and the Caribbean were key to rebuilding our great country post WW2. 

Even to this day our key services would struggle if it wasnt for the sacrifices people make leaving their homelands to serve our nhs. 

What people?

maroonlegions
10 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Whoever she is she’s an arse.

What  like the  1000s who fecked off to the beaches fir a day oot at the beach..

I bet you one day ,or maybe soon, anyone who is  racist or shows sings of racism  against anyone who is non white will be professionally diagnosed as being mentally ill or suffering from  serious mental heath problems by mental health professionals.

I see the apologists are out in force again. No hiding racism  in what ever excuse it takes shape.  

101897167_2747912375314393_7966374889026224128_n.jpg

Edited by maroonlegions

maroonlegions
1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Well Tony Blair apologised for the Irish potato famine. We live in a world of virtue signalling. I don’t expect young Germans to apologise for Hitler.

No its the neo Nazis and fasits who need to apologise for using that brutal maniacs  name and doing nazi salutes.

Those making the claims that modern  day neo fecking nazis and real organised fascists are just a bunch of wee cheeky chappies who are proud of their country , who just get too wasted on chams and charlie  need to get their arses out of their own backsides.

Edited by maroonlegions

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

What  like the  1000s who fecked off to the beaches fir a day oot at the beach..

I bet you one day ,or maybe soon, anyone who is racism  against anyone who is non white will be professionally diagnosed as being mentally ill or suffering from  serious mental heath problems by mental health professionals.

I see the apologists are out in force again. No hiding racism  in what ever excuse it takes shape.  

101897167_2747912375314393_7966374889026224128_n.jpg

They were arses as well.

Ainsley Harriott
16 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

What people?

Some racist ignorant people.