Racism in the UK/Racism is stupid

Rick James

Rick James

The big talking point in the World right now. It's clear that sadly, the USA still has deep rooted problems with racism which we all knew. Thankfully, more blatant, everyday racism doesn't exist as much, but institutional certainly does.

Then I seen videos of people in London protesting, and in cases of some, getting a bit heavy with the police, and it got me thinking about the UK. Is institutional racism a problem here?

Difficult for us all to really talk about as the biggest demographic on this forum is white men, but what are your thoughts? Personally, I don't believe that the UK is anywhere near as bad as a lot of places, especially Scotland. I like to think that we are a very tolerant nation and respect the multi cultural influences in our society. Individual ignorance does exist, and might never be fully eradicated, but that is down to a lack of education more than anything else. 

I think personally that class divides is more of a problem in the UK. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maroonlegions

• Beast Boy

• Dawnrazor

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only see small isolated incidents up here. A lot of black people down south have said that they have been randomly stopped by the police multiple times... Can only imagine how annoying that must be

Rick James
1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Only see small isolated incidents up here. A lot of black people down south have said that they have been randomly stopped by the police multiple times... Can only imagine how annoying that must be

There's been a big storyline about it in Eastenders (I know :lol:) and it definitely does happen. But I honestly think it's not exclusive to race here, but more class. When I was younger, I used to wear tracksuits and the likes, and have even been stopped randomly for warrant checks myself, purely because of the way I was dressed. I've never commited a crime in my life other than underage drinking and the trivial likes. 

Down in London and Birmingham might be a lot different, but I honestly think you're more likely to be judged on your dress code and manner more than race alone throughout the UK, or in Scotland at least.

King prawn

Growing up south of Birmingham there was quite a bit of racism in the school I went to and the surrounding areas.

Rick James
5 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Growing up south of Birmingham there was quite a bit of racism in the school I went to and the surrounding areas.

What era was that? I watched something that was about Liverpool in the 70's and 80's and it was quite rife there.

Thankfully I think those days are gone. But having never lived there, I couldn't possibly pass that view off as gospel.

King prawn
6 minutes ago, Locky said:

What era was that? I watched something that was about Liverpool in the 70's and 80's and it was quite rife there.

Thankfully I think those days are gone. But having never lived there, I couldn't possibly pass that view off as gospel.

Giving away my age here a bit but 2000s

Rick James
1 minute ago, King prawn said:

Giving away my age here a bit but 2000s

Ah, didn't think there was such a problem then.

King prawn
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Ah, didn't think there was such a problem then.

I would say that I heard a racist comment whilst in the school from someone about someone else or something every day that I was there 

It's institutionalised in the UK as much as it is in the USA.

Fortunately our police are not routinely armed.

BAME people are still disproportionately harassed by police for stop and searches as well as other things.

Black people have always had it bad over here (see the disgusting Smethwick by-election of 1964 for details)

In recent years Muslims (or anybody that looks like they might be Muslim, which is impossible to tell as Islam is not a race, so idiots just abuse anybody brown) have got it bad.

Since covid-19, Chinese (and all other asians) have had it bad.

Travellers have always had it bad.

People from the Indian subcontinent have always had problems. 

Even the Gurkhas get it tight, from the government downwards.

9/11, Brexit, Trump, the state of the economy and many other factors are only making it worse as time goes by.

It's less of a problem in Scotland than it is in England but song likes "Edinburgh is wonderful" still raise their ugly head from time to time and we still see stupid things like people throwing bacon at mosques or verbally abusing brown people in the street.

It's all just so stupid.

jambo-fletch

I think for the vast majority of people in the UK the attitudes towards race has changed since the 1970’s and 80’s. That doesn’t mean however racism has upped and vanished. I can’t comment on Scotland, but growing up 15 miles outside of Luton, I can say there’s still major issues there!

12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aye, cause only white people hate. 

That's not what's being said.

Indians are fairly racist.

Chinese are fairly racist.

Eastern Europeans are very racist.

Black people are fairly racist.

Racism is a huge problem in every community, not just the white community.

manaliveits105

Intolerance of colour and religion is and has gone on worldwide since time immemorial - it will never go away 

Scotland isnt too bad on racism but may may be down to demographics - we can all only do our own little bit to improve things 

To me there are only two types of people in the world - good or bad 

Weakened Offender

Racism powered Brexit. Its rife in this country, people are just snidier about it. 

We can't talk up here neither. We have our own wee brand of it that will soon be testing the social distancing / large gatherings guidance. 

There's definitely an issue with it in the UK, no doubt about that but I think it's probably secondary to a general intolerance of those who are different and includes class, religion, gender, place of origin as well as race.

People often see or hear intolerance stemming for someone's religion for example and talk about it through the paradigm of racism when it's actually got nothing to do with race which only serves to muddy the waters.

Edited by Taffin

2 hours ago, Locky said:

The big talking point in the World right now. It's clear that sadly, the USA still has deep rooted problems with racism which we all knew. Thankfully, more blatant, everyday racism doesn't exist as much, but institutional certainly does.

Then I seen videos of people in London protesting, and in cases of some, getting a bit heavy with the police, and it got me thinking about the UK. Is institutional racism a problem here?

Difficult for us all to really talk about as the biggest demographic on this forum is white men, but what are your thoughts? Personally, I don't believe that the UK is anywhere near as bad as a lot of places, especially Scotland. I like to think that we are a very tolerant nation and respect the multi cultural influences in our society. Individual ignorance does exist, and might never be fully eradicated, but that is down to a lack of education more than anything else. 

Not as bad as the USA but it's certainly still a problem here.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

It's institutionalised in the UK as much as it is in the USA.

Fortunately our police are not routinely armed.

BAME people are still disproportionately harassed by police for stop and searches as well as other things.

Black people have always had it bad over here (see the disgusting Smethwick by-election of 1964 for details)

In recent years Muslims (or anybody that looks like they might be Muslim, which is impossible to tell as Islam is not a race, so idiots just abuse anybody brown) have got it bad.

Since covid-19, Chinese (and all other asians) have had it bad.

Travellers have always had it bad.

People from the Indian subcontinent have always had problems. 

Even the Gurkhas get it tight, from the government downwards.

9/11, Brexit, Trump, the state of the economy and many other factors are only making it worse as time goes by.

It's less of a problem in Scotland than it is in England but song likes "Edinburgh is wonderful" still raise their ugly head from time to time and we still see stupid things like people throwing bacon at mosques or verbally abusing brown people in the street.

It's all just so stupid.

😂 Monkey noises when I walked down the street with my black partner, being called spear chuckers at football games, an SNP councillor and trade unionist told me during the referendum campaign that a vote for independence was a vote to keep the "******'s" out. The general chit chat at football and lack of understanding of race issue on here would indicate that you are in Denial.

I have heard racism in England (rarely openly in the streets), I'm aware of the racist undercurrent around Brexit, but for uneducated, 1970's style racism Scotland takes a lot of beating.

4 hours ago, Locky said:

Pretty much agree.....  But I'm saying that as a white Scotsman.  We all have prejudices....  Its how we Act on them...

4 hours ago, Locky said:

Don’t want to bore @Des Lynam, as he had a rather inaccurate and snide little dig at me recently when he mistakenly thought I had Indian heritage, but...

I married a woman of Indian heritage, and I’ve experienced a bit more about racism than a lot of others, but probably far less than many more besides.

Edinburgh isn’t too bad compared to a lot of other parts of the UK.

I’ve been with my missus for 20 years, that’s from her being 17 and me being 21. I’m now 41. Racism absolutely does still exist, but compared to some other places, it’s genuinely not so bad. Glasgow is a bit ****ing shit for it though. It’s a bit of an issue on the south coast of England too. Sadly that flies in the face of @Jammy T’s ridiculously stupid comment on the topic a few days ago. :lol:

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

To be honest not many of you really know the true affect of racism and the shunning of certain groups. I am from an age hen a black person only had one descriptive word that was not used to describe them, and that was African. The well known name and the Scots use of the word describing their colour with ie added. Indians  Chinese any ethnic background had a noun that was used. Gays, cripples, mentally ill were all targeted one way or another.

Some time in the forties I was quite young and at Preston Street School when a young my age black boy arrived and came into our class. I got to know him and we got on well. We were still at that age probably around seven or eight when differences were interesting and not reasons for hate and rejection. 

He invited me one time after school to go to where he lived in St Patrick Square, and his grandad invited me back some time for dinner. I proudly advised my mother about my new friend and his grandad, and her strong almost violent response was  that this relationship cease and I would be lucky if I wasn't dinner. Thats racism thats hate, and that was a good woman who honestly beleived in her ignorance what she was doing and saying.

A HUGE issue, is that certain political events recently have given platforms to racists. Reprehensible arseholes like Trump, Boris, Farage, Hopkins and Robinson have seized the opportunity to perpetuate racist undertones that have chimes in the minds of people who had publicly suppressed racist views up until that point. These ***** have legitimised these views in the minds of some of the more intellectually challenged in our country.

I say intellectually challenged, because that is what someone is, if they are racist. 

19 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Don’t want to bore @Des Lynam, as he had a rather inaccurate and snide little dig at me recently when he mistakenly thought I had Indian heritage, but...

I married a woman of Indian heritage, and I’ve experienced a bit more about racism than a lot of others, but probably far less than many more besides.

Edinburgh isn’t too bad compared to a lot of other parts of the UK.

I’ve been with my missus for 20 years, that’s from her being 17 and me being 21. I’m now 41. Racism absolutely does still exist, but compared to some other places, it’s genuinely not so bad. Glasgow is a bit ****ing shit for it though. It’s a bit of an issue on the south coast of England too. Sadly that flies in the face of @Jammy T’s ridiculously stupid comment on the topic a few days ago. :lol:

No my comment was nothing like you are suggesting. I was just a bit frustrated at the time on here with you banging on about yourself as usual. 

2 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

No my comment was nothing like you are suggesting. I was just a bit frustrated at the time on here with you banging on about yourself as usual. 

No, your comment was along the lines of:

”I hope you are not about to start boring us all about your Indian heritage again”.

I mean I’ll go and fetch it if you like. Or you could just admit how much of an arsehole comment it was? 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Special Officer Doofy said:

No, your comment was along the lines of:

”I hope you are not about to start boring us all about your Indian heritage again”.

I mean I’ll go and fetch it if you like. Or you could just admit how much of an arsehole comment it was? 🤷‍♂️

Are you implying it was racism? 

Just now, Des Lynam said:

Are you implying it was racism? 

Clearly not. I’m implying you were being a total ***** and in your haste be said *****, you ****ed up the premise of your wee dig... I don’t have any Indian heritage.

1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Clearly not. I’m implying you were being a total ***** and in your haste be said *****, you ****ed up the premise of your wee dig... I don’t have any Indian heritage.

So why are you bringing it up on a racism thread? 

2 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

So why are you bringing it up on a racism thread? 

Because I responded to the topic, and it meant me having to “bore you with my Indian Heritage” to do so. Thought I had better run it past you first before you posted a totally inappropriate and inaccurate reply. 

Because I responded to the topic, and it meant me having to “bore you with my Indian Heritage” to do so. Thought I had better run it past you first before you posted a totally inappropriate and inaccurate reply. 

Sorry I’m forever seeing you throw insults about on here so I didn’t think you’d be so sensitive. Apologies. 

Sorry I’m forever seeing you throw insults about on here so I didn’t think you’d be so sensitive. Apologies. 

Apology accepted. Must be hard to keep up with things when 90% of your content is having digs at folk. You should probably tap up Lawson and get some advice on how to keep a more accurate ‘Lawsier’.

Hope this clarifies matters.

Apology accepted. Must be hard to keep up with things when 90% of your content is having digs at folk. You should probably tap up Lawson and get some advice on how to keep a more accurate ‘Lawsier’.

Hope this clarifies matters.

This exchange was started by your sly dig. I am no better or worse than most on here. I just find your need to elevate yourself tiresome. 

6 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

This exchange was started by your sly dig. I am no better or worse than most on here. I just find your need to elevate yourself tiresome. 

No, this exchange was started by yourself on another thread. In your haste to be a sidelines troll, you targeted me for a wide comment about racism. I answered it at the time, but you slinked off because you realised you had ****ed up and got your snide response wrong.

You are no better or worse than anyone, neither am I... probably something you should mull over the next time you attempt to have a dig at me for commenting on something that is actually quite an important thing in my life. 

It was a total ***** move, and you would be better off just putting your hands up and admitting it.

The last two posts and some of the prior are a good clue why there is trouble in the world. Time to let it go .

4 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

No, this exchange was started by yourself on another thread. In your haste to be a sidelines troll, you targeted me for a wide comment about racism. I answered it at the time, but you slinked off because you realised you had ****ed up and got your snide response wrong.

You are no better or worse than anyone, neither am I... probably something you should milk over the next time you attempt to have a dig at me for commenting on something that is actually quite an important thing in my life. 

It was a total ***** move, and you would be better off just putting your hands up and admitting it.

Was this not weeks ago? In all sincerity I’m sorry if you thought in any way I was being racist. If anything I’d be jealous at the culinary delights that come from marrying into an Indian family. I’ve never been good at dealing with those that make stupid comments and so maybe being on here is not such a good idea. And no that wasn’t a sly dig at you. I’ve definitely been more belligerent on here during this pandemic. 

Back on topic, I’d like to get more involved in this discussion.

I had racist views when I was a kid growing up in a council estate in Balerno. I had a whole lot of preconceived ideas about people from other countries. Thankfully I was very young at the time. 

Can someone on here be a decent person and actually articulate the fact that they are racist though? I mean actually just have the balls to admit it, and then defend their position?

Theres another poster on here who I have a weird uneasy relationship with, to the extent where I actually quite like him. He came out and stated that he has prejudices when I started a thread on this a few years ago. I respect that, despite becoming less keen on him recently.

Obviously there are trolls who are only here to poke people with a stick too... fair play... however you get your kicks.

Shall we actually get this OP/topic going though? Shall we actually just be really honest and put out cards on the table?

I suspect not...

Was this not weeks ago? In all sincerity I’m sorry if you thought in any way I was being racist. If anything I’d be jealous at the culinary delights that come from marrying into an Indian family. I’ve never been good at dealing with those that make stupid comments and so maybe being on here is not such a good idea. And no that wasn’t a sly dig at you. I’ve definitely been more belligerent on here during this pandemic. 

I didn’t think you were being racist. I know you were being snide. Using the race angle put you squarely on the ***** list however.

JimKongUno

Back on topic, I’d like to get more involved in this discussion.

I had racist views when I was a kid growing up in a council estate in Balerno. I had a whole lot of preconceived ideas about people from other countries. Thankfully I was very young at the time. 

Can someone on here be a decent person and actually articulate the fact that they are racist though? I mean actually just have the balls to admit it, and then defend their position?

Theres another poster on here who I have a weird uneasy relationship with, to the extent where I actually quite like him. He came out and stated that he has prejudices when I started a thread on this a few years ago. I respect that, despite becoming less keen on him recently.

Obviously there are trolls who are only here to poke people with a stick too... fair play... however you get your kicks.

Shall we actually get this OP/topic going though? Shall we actually just be really honest and put out cards on the table?

I suspect not...

Don't give a flying **** what colour or race people are. There's good guys and ***** in every race. I have a problem with a certain religion that has resulted in folk calling me racist, they can say what they like and lick my big sweaty erse crack for all I care 

6 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

Don't give a flying **** what colour or race people are. There's good guys and ***** in every race. I have a problem with a certain religion that has resulted in folk calling me racist, they can say what they like and lick my big sweaty erse crack for all I care 

Good post. Do you mind me asking what that religion is, and why it upsets you so much?

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

I'm not keen on them either, mate. 👍

I have been racist, was raised so, but as I got older and travel became so much easier and immigration opened up it became easier to get to know other races, and accept them just as people. Of course being an immigrant yourself helps, I often tell the story of during my early days in Canadian policing I told a native Canadian there was a property he could not go on to. His response  f..k me he's telling me what I can do in my own country and he doesn't even speak the language.

Edited by Sharpie

JimKongUno
3 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Good post. Do you mind me asking what that religion is, and why it upsets you so much?

Islam for a multitude of reasons that I can't be arsed typing out. 

To be clear I don't have a problem with Muslims on an individual basis, some are sound and some are fanatical weirdos. It's just the institution of Islam, sharia laws, the politics of it and the exploits of mohammed and the fanatical bam pots 

2 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I have been racist, was raised so, but as I got older and travel became so much easier and immigration opened up it became easier to get to know other races, and accept them just as people. Of course being an immigrant yourself helps, I often tell the story of during my early days in Canadian policing I told a native Canadian there was a property he could not go on to. His response  f..k me he's telling me what I can do in my own country and he doesn't even speak the language.

Another top post. I was absolutely brought up with a lot of racism. I had views that were passed down to me by my late father. They were all his though... that’s the ****ing insanity of it. None of it was by own views.

3 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

Islam for a multitude of reasons that I can't be arsed typing out. 

To be clear I don't have a problem with Muslims on an individual basis, some are sound and some are fanatical weirdos. It's just the institution of Islam, sharia laws, the politics of it and the exploits of mohammed and the fanatical bam pots 

I have lots of Muslim friends and acquaintances who I love and respect. I also am not a fan of their religion.  

Some of it’s down to xenophobia. As the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, the rich don’t want anybody blaming them for it. Better to support a political party happy to perpetuate the myth that the problems all stem from pesky foreigners. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Some of it’s down to xenophobia. As the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, the rich don’t want anybody blaming them for it. Better to support a political party happy to perpetuate the myth that the problems all stem from pesky foreigners. 

Totally. Divide and conquer is a thing as well.

Racism is a total weird one though... Hating someone because of the phenotype that was handed to them? Absolute oddballism. 

It's everywhere to be honest, sometimes obvious and sometimes more subtle but it's gradually improving. Any right minded person knows it is wrong so what will happen in time is that people with racist views will become less but the ones who maintain it will be very extreme. When someone says I'm not racist but... I aways think of the old adage that if there is a sentence constructed like that anything before the "but" is bullshit. 

Racism is very much alive and well in the UK, from brexiteers that just want someone to blame for them not making a success of their lives to the older generation that were brought up to be suspicious of anyone who wasn't 10 generations deep from that village/town/city.

Personally I couldn't give a flying one about where someone is from, the colour of their skin, their sexuality, gender or their religion, I get on with them or I don't but if i don't it's simply down to their personality v mine!

Totally. Divide and conquer is a thing as well.

Racism is a total weird one though... Hating someone because of the phenotype that was handed to them? Absolute oddballism. 

Just plain ignorance in some cases. It’s a sinister thing, used to be fairly out in the open but now it’s still there but often better hidden. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Just plain ignorance in some cases. It’s a sinister thing, used to be fairly out in the open but now it’s still there but often better hidden. 

I think it’s started to move beyond that now... I think the racism is immeasurably on the rise. Sadly.

I think it’s started to move beyond that now... I think the racism is immeasurably on the rise. Sadly.

You’re no doubt right. All that Brexit shite, as other have said, hasn’t helped. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

You’re no doubt right. All that Brexit shite, as other have said, hasn’t helped. 

It played a major part.