David Duff.

Harry Potter

Doctor FinnBarr
56 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Did Dave King at Rangers not have the option of jail or paying a very large fine. He paid the fine. 

And was banned from taking the rest of his dosh out of SA I think.

Tasavallan
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Owen Oyston of Blackpool

Birmingham City owner Carson Yeung jailed in Hong Kong for money laundering.

My old "mate" George (Mr Fantasy) Reynolds at The Quakers.

Independence
6 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Duff was in my year at Trinity but I had no dealings with him time as he was a Hibby.  Last I heard he was staying on HMP for swindling old ladies in Swindon.  

Still lauded by the vermin for not selling out to the Wallet. It would appear that he liked Hibs over a fast buck.

Was there not another x Trinity Academy person involved? Erskine?

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Independence said:

Was there not another x Trinity Academy person involved? Erskine?

Sure it was Duff & ? (maybe his brother in law) One of them lived in East Craigs at the same time as me, in a much more expensive house. Still got abused though.

Tasavallan

Gray changed his name by deed-poll to Phelps

Quit amusing reading Hibs.nut posters trying to paint his a “daft laddie” who was just easily led:

David Duff, 38, was sentenced to two years at Winchester Crown Court

after a jury accepted that he had employed deception and theft to

defraud building societies out of hundreds of thousands of pounds.

While no-one within the hierarchy of Hibs was prepared to comment on the sentence, the secretary of the club's supporters' federation was

less reticent. ''He has got his just desserts,'' said Mr Bill Alcorn.

''We know it is not connected with what Duff did at Hibs but at least he

has got some punishment.''

Duff's address, ironically in the light of his impact on

Scottish football, was given as David Murray Buildings, Swindon. He

enlisted the help of two employees -- one his lover -- to aid him in the

mortgage scam and milked clients' accounts to fund a number of business

ventures and reduce his debts.

Winchester Crown Court was told the totals ran into ''hundreds of

thousands of pounds'' but no-one would ever know how much Duff got away

with. Judge Ian Starforth Hill, QC, told him: ''As a solicitor, you were

expected to be an honest man and someone that people could trust.''

Mr Paul Grunbar, prosecuting, said Duff joined solicitors Phelps and

Lawrence as a partner in 1982 at their office in Ramsbury, Wiltshire.

In August 1991, the firm moved to Regent's Circus, Swindon, and all

the documents were in the control

of Duff. His money-making exercises involved his personal assistant

and lover, Lynda Hobbs, and Paul Hatch, who was in charge of the firm's

Fulham branch.

Mr Grunbar said: ''He stole money from his own firm by arranging for

Hobbs and Hatch to apply for mortgages. False applications were backed

up by letters and references, supplied by Duff, giving inflated salaries.''

The court heard that neither employee was earning more than #30,000 a

year but, by claiming they earned huge salaries, were able to obtain

substantial mortgages from building societies and the money was

embezzled by Duff.

''The exercise was entirely for Duff's benefit and all the money went

to him,'' added Mr Grunbar.

He said once a cheque arrived from a building society ''it would be

put into a client's account. As Duff was in a position of authority, he

would arrange for the money to be transferred, sometimes into one of his

own numerous bank accounts.''

Money paid into the firm's accounts by clients for legitimate purposes

would also be transferred to Duff's own account and used to pay debts.

Duff was convicted of four offences of obtaining money by deception

and three of theft between July 1987 and July 1991. Hobbs, 39, of Wood

Hall Park, Swindon, and Hatch, 29, of Fulham, London, were each

convicted of obtaining money by deception between the same dates.

Hobbs was given 200 hours community service and Hatch 120 hours

community service.

Mr Thomas Culver, defending Duff, described his client as ''a man who

has fallen from a pinnacle''.

Duff took over Hibs in August 1987 and appointed his brother-in-law

Jim Gray to assist him when Edinburgh bookmaker Kenny Waugh decided to

relinquish control. Duff's cheques failed to clear, his business CV in

the South of England was murky, and it was clear he was being bankrolled by a Monaco-based speculator David Rowland.

Duff presented himself as a local saviour of the club and began

milking money from supporters through share flotations. The money was

squandered on a losing investment in pubs and restaurants in the South

of England and the share price plummeted.

Eventually, Mr Rowland sought a way out of holding his share by

attempting to sell out to Hearts owner, Mr Wallace Mercer. The plan fell

through and now one football magnate is in tax exile in France and the

other is beginning a prison sentence.

SwindonJambo

I worked in a bank in Regent Circus back then and I actually served one of his minions who came in to bank some, ummm "takings" for him once. Swindon Town also banked there at the very same time during the period when they were later proven in court to be hugely underdeclaring gates and paying players their bonuses in suitcases full of tenners secretly delivered to their homes, leading to the jailing of their chairman. The players were given immunity of prosecution, one being Captain Colin Calderwood.

The building referred to in the article  is actually David Murray John Tower named after Swindon's long serving visionary post war Chief Executive. I knew at the time the crooked Duffer was based in Swindon but didn't know it was in that building.

I also recall that the share offer which the Hobbies lapped up at the time was assessed by a good few financial commentators of the day to be seriously dodgy and so it proved.

The man is a sleekit convicted large fraudster so I would place no more value on anything he does or says than the dot above the I in the word 'shite'.

Edited by SwindonJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
18 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

See the source image

David Duff and Jim Gray

The Chuckle Brothers indeed. Were they also responsible for one of the worst football badges in history? Duff was also investigated for his part in some sort of charity scam more recently.

Edited by ToqueJambo

20 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

See the source image

David Duff and Jim Gray

What the **** is it with Hibs and wonky *******s with moustaches? 😄

They love to play down: rioting (exuberance) fraud (just a lad) pissing in doorways/assaulting rival players/pawing strippers (just lads being lads) robbing banks (fiscal prudence) farmer dumping millions in debt via holding companies (not the main company).

Oh and let's not forget the time their Chairman wanted to sub money from the dole money directly.

Trashy, cheapskate outfit. Still chortling at how gullible they are that they sat by and watched their ponzi ownership scheme being dismantled and robbed, and their "NHS sponsorship" being nowt more than a forced donation for a shirt logo.

No matter what Ron does to them, they'll take it dry and perform contortions to insist it's what they always wanted. 

20 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Mr Paul Grunbar, prosecuting, said Duff joined solicitors Phelps and

Lawrence as a partner in 1982 at their office in Ramsbury, Wiltshire.

In August 1991, the firm moved to Regent's Circus, Swindon, and all

the documents were in the control

of Duff. 

Hang on a minute. Duff joined Phelps and Lawrence? Any connection to sevco's favourite company Duff and Phelps?

2 hours ago, graygo said:

Hang on a minute. Duff joined Phelps and Lawrence? Any connection to sevco's favourite company Duff and Phelps?

Apparently not. I asked this earlier in the thread. Just a coincidence. 👍

5 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Apparently not. I asked this earlier in the thread. Just a coincidence. 👍

Thought I had a scoop there.

Was “discussing” the Hands off Hibs times with a Hobbit acquaintance of mine on fb and how many of my Hearts pals attended rallies in those days opposed to Wallace’s plans. Said that wouldn’t happen now due to their behaviour when we nearly disappeared. His pathetic response 

“ I think the Romanov era and living outwith your means has caused a lot of the anger. 

Most hubs fans would love to see Hearts suffer as retribution for that day in may. Where it was thought you had cheated your way to a win. 

So the niceties. Have probably gone.”

It really doesn’t bother them though. Wankstains!

Ricardo Shillyshally
1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Was “discussing” the Hands off Hibs times with a Hobbit acquaintance of mine on fb and how many of my Hearts pals attended rallies in those days opposed to Wallace’s plans. Said that wouldn’t happen now due to their behaviour when we nearly disappeared. His pathetic response 

“ I think the Romanov era and living outwith your means has caused a lot of the anger. 

Most hubs fans would love to see Hearts suffer as retribution for that day in may. Where it was thought you had cheated your way to a win. 

Hibs fans seem to have recently come up with the phrase "2012 comfort blanket", but their assertions that we cheated to a SC win  that year is the ultimate comfort blanket.

Additionally  if our supposed overspending then is the justication for the tag of "cheating" where does them running at a loss to get out of the championship fit in.?

Its typical revisionism from a deluded and shameless fan base.

Just now, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Hibs fans seem to have recently come up with the phrase "2012 comfort blanket", but their assertions that we cheated to a SC win  that year is the ultimate comfort blanket.

Additionally  if our supposed overspending then is the justication for the tag of "cheating" where does them running at a loss to get out of the championship fit in.?

Bitter and twisted and totally didn't address my point to him which was when Hibs were very nearly erased me and a lot of other Jambos, including The Hammer of the Hibs himself defended them. Contrast that with the vast majority of them when we were almost dead. 

I honestly wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire now. **** them

Just now, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

One came out with this keek to me while spelling Her7s with a daft wee seven irony you couldnae make it up

Ricardo Shillyshally

I actually had a weird notion when their (failed) share thing was on the go, that if I won the euro millions I'd buy loads of their shares  = just so as they knew they were owned by a Hearts fan. I'd let them rot.

Id probably still do a better job than the boy Duff

22 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Unlike when they borrowed a celtic squad to fluke the cup in 2016

Exactly!

For a collective fanbase that drags Edinburgh's city-wide IQ down by many, many points they are very skilled in cognitive dissonance. "Poppy Thieves" vs "Bank Forgiveness" for example. They won't even acknowledge that Farmer quietly did a Sevco when he dumped millions of Duff & Gray's debt after moving the football club to a different parent company. 

Remind me how many loanees they had when we thumped them, or how much they shafted the bank for? Both clearly NOT living within your means. Course, they'll give that a slightly different label to ease that cognitive dissonance.

Also, remember that time Mowbray pretty much claimed they "won" the league after comparing budgets? That is them in a nutshell. Being dishonest, well that's bad enough but being dishonest to oneself is quite pathetic. 

4 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Cant beat us on the pitch so want us gone. It’s as simple as that. They’ve made excuses to justify their ineptitude v us forever. I especially like how they’ve tried to rewrite history by backdating our “cheating” since Mercer now, apparently... even though they were in debt they could not afford to repay pretty much the entire time we were as well. From Duff and Gray, through Farmer they had to walk away from debt and make deals with the bank because they couldn’t afford their mortgages. They are ****ing morons, and delusional to the point of comedy. Still whatever helps them sleep at night. :lol: