Not so anonymous benefactor - did he still want anonymity?

queensferryjambo

Glamorgan Jambo
21 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Interesting that Mr Anderson’s fund has increased in value by more than £3 billion over the last 3 years!!!!

I’m assuming that Ann Budge has invested heavily in this as well.

In 2017: James Anderson’s personal investment in Scottish Mortgage was £50m... so presumably this is now in excess of £70m

I’m going to go away and look for an interview James gave a few years ago because he talked about it being his ambition to own a certain percentage of Scottish Mortgage. And the number that sticks in my head was 5%. I’d assume that he’d ask for his bonus in SMT stock rather than cash.

But I could be misremembering things. I’ve invested in SMT for 20 years (should have put in more with him and less with others). He’s managed it since around 2003. It was fairly mediocre before then.

31 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Interesting that Mr Anderson’s fund has increased in value by more than £3 billion over the last 3 years!!!!

I’m assuming that Ann Budge has invested heavily in this as well.

In 2017: James Anderson’s personal investment in Scottish Mortgage was £50m... so presumably this is now in excess of £70m

Nearer 90m, it’s gone up by 85% in 3 years. 

Jambo 4 Ever
12 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

And wearing a tie! Must have been before he requested a relaxation in the rules!

What rules are these?

19 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Baillie Gifford (BG) isn't publicly listed, but the Scottish Mortgage Trust (SMT) is. It's managed by BG (Anderson is co-manager of the trust). I'd agree that on the face of it, its equities spread looks to be on the high growth/high risk side of things. Weighted towards 'unicorns' both emerging and maturing – Alphabet (Google), Facebook and Tesla (arguably) at the 'maturing' end; heaps of biotechs/robotics/solar/emerging techs etc. at the startup end. It certainly seems to have paid early investors handsomely, but as we all know "past performance should not be used as a guide to future performance".

The strategy seems to be identify your targets early, conduct in-depth research, look for fast , exponential growth potential, then invest. In other words, buy cheap then harvest the rewards downtrack when they list publicly. He's not all upside though. In an interview he speculated that Twitter may not be fulfilling SMT's identified promise. 

If I had a a heap of cash (which I don't), I wouldn't be putting any more than 10% of it into SMT. As usual, the mantra is 'diversify and spread the risk'.

This (seemingly) aggressive approach belies the man himself. Unfailingly polite, unremarkable looking, always courteous and speaks with an accent which is very Oxbridge, you'd swear that he'd be a something of a Brit version of Warren ('stick your money in an index fund') Buffett. In truth, he's almost the opposite.  

Yet many people make the mistake of acting -  subconsciously or otherwise - as if past performance is some guide to future performance - that is the very reason that the caveat is always added. It's a bit like if there's a racing tipster that had a particularly good recent record of tipping winners during the last year you assume that he/she really 'knows their stuff' and you follow their tips. In reality, over the long term they might have a very slightly better strike rate than the average punter, but they're just as likely to tip a series of losers as a series of winners.

6 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

What rules are these?

Ann was reported to have said, something along the lines of, ‘ all the benefactor has asked for is a relaxing of the boardroom rules of wearing a tie’!

Jambo 4 Ever
7 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Ann was reported to have said, something along the lines of, ‘ all the benefactor has asked for is a relaxing of the boardroom rules of wearing a tie’!

Ah ok fair enough