Not so anonymous benefactor - did he still want anonymity?

queensferryjambo

queensferryjambo

We all now know that James Anderson is one of Hearts benefactors. We also now know he is trying to help out the whole of Scottish football.

Whilst being a Hearts benefactor he kept his anonymity with no real issues.Within a day or two of him contacting the SPFL via Ann Budge he is all over the red top rags. 

Simple questions - 

Did he still want to keep his anonymity?

If he did want anonymity - How the **** did his name get leaked to the press the minute he spoke to the SPFL? 

If he was happy to have his name used then obviously end of thread.

johnthomas
Just now, queensferryjambo said:

We all now know that James Anderson is one of Hearts benefactors. We also now know he is trying to help out the whole of Scottish football.

Whilst being a Hearts benefactor he kept his anonymity with no real issues.Within a day or two of him contacting the SPFL via Ann Budge he is all over the red top rags. 

Simple questions - 

If he did want anonymity - How the **** did his name get leaked to the press the minute he spoke to the SPFL? 

It is a good question 

If SPFL leaked it then I suppose nobody would be shocked .

Maybe AB let it be known just to reassure Cosgrove that these people actually do exist .

Hopefully it was done with his permission 

You'd think he'd know what he was doing regarding anonymity, I'd say he must be happy with it.  Noone posted his name on here to my knowledge, strange given most things hearts end up on jkb one way or another.

Selkirkhmfc1874

He's remained anonymous these past few years yet within 48hrs of offer to spfl his name public knowledge ! 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Logic tells me he has waived his anonymity to support his very good friend 

Saint Jambo

He may view it as much harder to be remain anonymous when dealing with the SPFL as the number of people that will need to know who it is will be higher.

There is also less risk in being known in relation to a donation to all of Scottish football than there is a donation to one club. He is a well known philanthropist so clearly doesn't normally worry too much about remaining anonymous.

highlandjambo3

It’s simple (well to me anyway)..... the weegia will be absolutely spewing we have a guy like this in our corner and, don’t like it one little bit.  I believe when he has made his donation (or not) we will see the true colours of their venom spewing out as this upsets their vision of the duopoly that they love....he will be treated as a threat.  look at the poison AB has had to put up with, nothing about her efforts in the last month or so but stick the boot in at every opportunity they can, absolutely blind to any positive news.

I guess you need to see who broke his name and follow the trail. From that point of view I'm certain it wouldnt have been Hearts.

Is he comfortable with it? Who knows but it would appear it's not a deal breaker and its redirected the unfair flack Budge was receiving from all and sundry.

He deserves all the publicity he gets.  I don’t think there’s anything sinister in it at all either.  

9 minutes ago, cameron79 said:

I guess you need to see who broke his name and follow the trail. From that point of view I'm certain it wouldnt have been Hearts.

Is he comfortable with it? Who knows but it would appear it's not a deal breaker and its redirected the unfair flack Budge was receiving from all and sundry.

I think he will be a lot more comfortable being named when pouring millions into the Scottish game than he would be with just one club. 

queensferryjambo
23 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

You'd think he'd know what he was doing regarding anonymity, I'd say he must be happy with it.  Noone posted his name on here to my knowledge, strange given most things hearts end up on jkb one way or another.

Oddly enough somebody did post Baillie Gifford before - I remember as I googled it thinking it was a man but instead found out it was a company. 

Just now, Last Laff said:

I think he will be a lot more comfortable being named when pouring millions into the Scottish game than he would be with just one club. 

Of course, if he didnt the scrutiny and conjecture would be ridiculous. 

There were always the Bailey Gifford rumours but at least we had the class not to question further.

1 minute ago, cameron79 said:

Of course, if he didnt the scrutiny and conjecture would be ridiculous. 

There were always the Bailey Gifford rumours but at least we had the class not to question further.

Of course, thankfully when it comes to financial matters though we have the FoH board and more importantly Ann’s word not to question it.  You can’t really blame the rest of Scottish football just to do the same though, regardless of how generous the offer is. 

5 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Oddly enough somebody did post Baillie Gifford before - I remember as I googled it thinking it was a man but instead found out it was a company. 

:lol: 

He probably took the view that he was better to immediately come into the open,    rather than later on and after an effort to remain anonymous.    Too much effort to hide his identity might have attracted too much curiosity regarding the wish to be anonymous.

Better to be up front and deny the hyenas of the media anything to be curious about.

18 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Ha. I never googled it but thought the exact same! 

He will have known getting involved with the SPFL means he can no longer remain anonymous, especially the way the narrative was being spun to be anti-Hearts.

He sounds a man of integrity, and Scottish football is in dire need of some.

Pasquale for King

It is quite surprising that his name wasn’t divulged before now, especially if he’s been in the directors box a lot. A well kept secret that a quite a few folk must’ve known for three years, 24 hours after being mentioned on the radio the hacks are writing up articles about him. It would be a shame for all these clubs if he pulled out after all the abuse and scepticism around his offer.

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It is quite surprising that his name wasn’t divulged before now, especially if he’s been in the directors box a lot. A well kept secret that a quite a few folk must’ve known for three years, 24 hours after being mentioned on the radio the hacks are writing up articles about him. It would be a shame for all these clubs if he pulled out after all the abuse and scepticism around his offer.

Maybe its not him.

ToadKiller Dog

I think he is more than intelligent enough to realise his anonymity wouldnt last and likely understands how poorly the SpFl opperates. 

From the little I know of him  he certainly is nobody's fool and you get the sense  does his homework by they way he has invested to make his money .

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

baxterd1974

I think there would have been a genreal acceptance that what he is doing now is very different and anonymity was never going to fly. I'm also not sure he is our biggest benefactor,  just guessing but he doesn't strike me as the type to mind wearing a tie.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

You can’t do what he’s proposing to do and not declare your identity. He has to be open to scrutiny and should be open to scrutiny.

Not that scrutiny in Scotland is applied fairly or makes any difference to ring pieces like Doncaster.

I know he us above this but i would love it if the reason he was happy to be named is that he plans of pulling out of any deal due to after soeaking to Doncaster, other club Chairmen there is not a hooe in hell he eant to deal with or be associated with these charlatans.

Now we know who he is and how successfully he runs his businesses, and how awful Scottish football is run then even the msm up here could not criticise him, they would have to start seriously question those that run the game up here surley..........then again.

As i said, he is above that sort of thing, i just want the SPFL ruined.

TyphoonJambo
37 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Maybe it was all a dream 🙈

Its a fantasy, Willie Miller told me. 

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Logic tells me he has waived his anonymity to support his very good friend 

Yes, I think this is more likely to be the case. I think he done it because people need to know who he is and he isn't someone linked to football in the past or wants any influence. Just transparency I guess. 

millerjames398
2 hours ago, Dia Liom said:

I think a poster mentioned the name of his company baillie gifford on another thread, and it got closed down a few posts later, maybe flying a bit to close to the truth 🤷🏼‍♂️😂🇱🇻

8 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

I think a poster mentioned the name of his company baillie gifford on another thread, and it got closed down a few posts later, maybe flying a bit to close to the truth 🤷🏼‍♂️😂🇱🇻

Right enough! Noticed that too. 

millerjames398
40 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Right enough! Noticed that too. 

No worries man👍🏼🇱🇻

Just waiting on Doncaster taking the cash then saying it is a conflict of interest for Anderson to continue to keep supporting Hearts.

Schevchenko

Could FOH/ Hearts not give this guy a wee chunk of money and say give us it back when you have turned it into a billion pounds?  Obviously exaggerating but you get the jist.

17 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Simple questions - 

Probably impossible to be anonymous anymore if he is donating money

to an organisation as all money has to be accountable due

to money laundering 

davemclaren
22 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

to money laundering 

Hearts benefactors managed it for years. 

colinmaroon
16 hours ago, Gambo said:

I know he us above this but i would love it if the reason he was happy to be named is that he plans of pulling out of any deal due to after soeaking to Doncaster, other club Chairmen there is not a hooe in hell he eant to deal with or be associated with these charlatans.

Now we know who he is and how successfully he runs his businesses, and how awful Scottish football is run then even the msm up here could not criticise him, they would have to start seriously question those that run the game up here surley..........then again.

As i said, he is above that sort of thing, i just want the SPFL ruined.

That's not very Christian of you!   :surprised:

part_time_jambo
3 hours ago, Hairdryer said:

to money laundering 

If he wanted to remain anonymous he could have donated to all the lower league clubs on an individual basis. Just like you or I could if we wanted to give some money to, for example, Partick Thistle. He doesn't need to go through the SPFL, and if they start dictating that money should also go to the Premiership teams, he should go direct.

CostaJambo
On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 17:52, queensferryjambo said:

Reminds me of the time one of my old mates got married and my mum sent me the whole page from the Evening News which had all the wedding photos with peoples' names and addresses (do they still do that?). I handed it to my then wife (English) and asked her to guess which of the grooms was my best mate from school. She obviously didn't study it that closely as she replied "Is it Logie Green?"

queensferryjambo
2 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Reminds me of the time one of my old mates got married and my mum sent me the whole page from the Evening News which had all the wedding photos with peoples' names and addresses (do they still do that?). I handed it to my then wife (English) and asked her to guess which of the grooms was my best mate from school. She obviously didn't study it that closely as she replied "Is it Logie Green?"

Brilliant :) 

Top man either way. An offer to help Scottish football with no strings attached and in Scotland it only creates suspicion and agendas 

Whenever I hear the term benefactor....   I think of Miss Havasham of great expectations.  :)

7 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Well, he certainly wasn't concerned about anonymity back in 2017. Read the article below. The last paragraph (on page 2) is, emm.....intriguing!

https://www.ftadviser.com/investment-trusts/2017/11/06/scottish-mortgage-s-anderson-defends-huge-tesla-stake/?page=1

Now you've done it.

The vermin will be busy scribbling letters today.

images (2).jpeg

John Gentleman
3 hours ago, graygo said:

Now you've done it.

The vermin will be busy scribbling letters today.

images (2).jpeg

I'm sure there'll be a plausable explanation. Let them have their moment of fun before they get stuck back in their sealed jars.

On 03/06/2020 at 09:40, Schevchenko said:

Could FOH/ Hearts not give this guy a wee chunk of money and say give us it back when you have turned it into a billion pounds?  Obviously exaggerating but you get the jist.

Anybody can invest money in his investment trust including you and I from £50-£100 a month depending on the investment platform and up to as many millions as you like, it’s a listed company which you can buy shares in just like you could in any other plc. It’s a high risk, high growth strategy though and not a safe investment. Could you imagine the uproar if FoH invested supporters money in it and it lost 30-40% in a month. 

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Anybody can invest money in his investment trust including you and I from £50-£100 a month depending on the investment platform and up to as many millions as you like, it’s a listed company which you can buy shares in just like you could in any other plc. It’s a high risk, high growth strategy though and not a safe investment. Could you imagine the uproar if FoH invested supporters money in it and it lost 30-40% in a month. 

Remember, there is a good chance of a deep recession, if not a full blown depression after, or before the end of, this pandemic.

Just now, colinmaroon said:

Remember, there is a good chance of a deep recession, if not a full blown depression after, or before the end of, this pandemic.

Yeah. I’d say it’s as close to a certainty as any financial outlook can be. James will no doubt have his hands full trying to keep his IT profitable. Certainly not the time for anyone with a short term outlook to be investing in equity based trusts and funds. 

John Gentleman
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Baillie Gifford (BG) isn't publicly listed, but the Scottish Mortgage Trust (SMT) is. It's managed by BG (Anderson is co-manager of the trust). I'd agree that on the face of it, its equities spread looks to be on the high growth/high risk side of things. Weighted towards 'unicorns' both emerging and maturing – Alphabet (Google), Facebook and Tesla (arguably) at the 'maturing' end; heaps of biotechs/robotics/solar/emerging techs etc. at the startup end. It certainly seems to have paid early investors handsomely, but as we all know "past performance should not be used as a guide to future performance".

The strategy seems to be identify your targets early, conduct in-depth research, look for fast , exponential growth potential, then invest. In other words, buy cheap then harvest the rewards downtrack when they list publicly. He's not all upside though. In an interview he speculated that Twitter may not be fulfilling SMT's identified promise. 

If I had a a heap of cash (which I don't), I wouldn't be putting any more than 10% of it into SMT. As usual, the mantra is 'diversify and spread the risk'.

This (seemingly) aggressive approach belies the man himself. Unfailingly polite, unremarkable looking, always courteous and speaks with an accent which is very Oxbridge, you'd swear that he'd be a something of a Brit version of Warren ('stick your money in an index fund') Buffett. In truth, he's almost the opposite.  

Edited by John Gentleman

John Gentleman
34 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Indeed Colin, but in any recession/depression there's always 'winners' set against a much larger number of 'losers'. The difficult part is picking the winners. That takes skill, a crystal ball, and gonads made of stainless steel.

33 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Baillie Gifford (BG) isn't publicly listed, but the Scottish Mortgage Trust (SMT) is. It's managed by BG (Anderson is co-manager of the trust). I'd agree that on the face of it, its equities spread looks to be on the high growth/high risk side of things. Weighted towards 'unicorns' both emerging and maturing – Alphabet (Google), Facebook and Tesla (arguably) at the 'maturing' end; heaps of biotechs/robotics/solar/emerging techs etc. at the startup end. It certainly seems to have paid early investors handsomely, but as we all know "past performance should not be used as a guide to future performance".

The strategy seems to be identify your targets early, conduct in-depth research, look for fast , exponential growth potential, then invest. In other words, buy cheap then harvest the rewards downtrack when they list publicly. He's not all upside though. In an interview he speculated that Twitter may not be fulfilling SMT's identified promise. 

If I had a a heap of cash (which I don't), I wouldn't be putting any more than 10% of it into SMT. As usual, the mantra is 'diversify and spread the risk'.

This (seemingly) aggressive approach belies the man himself. Unfailingly polite, unremarkable looking, always courteous and speaks with an accent which is very Oxbridge, you'd swear that he'd be a something of a Brit version of Warren ('stick your money in an index fund') Buffett. In truth, he's almost the opposite.  

Yes it was SMT I was referring to when I said publicly listed. Very interesting post John and interesting article you linked to earlier 👍

10 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Well, he certainly wasn't concerned about anonymity back in 2017. Read the article below. The last paragraph (on page 2) is, emm.....intriguing!

https://www.ftadviser.com/investment-trusts/2017/11/06/scottish-mortgage-s-anderson-defends-huge-tesla-stake/?page=1

I (and hundreds of other Jambos like me) have a share in Hearts and we like him are not ‘named’ as ‘significant’ In the annual report!

David McCaig
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I (and hundreds of other Jambos like me) have a share in Hearts and we like him are not ‘named’ as ‘significant’ In the annual report!

Interesting that Mr Anderson’s fund has increased in value by more than £3 billion over the last 3 years!!!!

I’m assuming that Ann Budge has invested heavily in this as well.

In 2017: James Anderson’s personal investment in Scottish Mortgage was £50m... so presumably this is now in excess of £70m

Edited by David McCaig