Demonstration in Toronto

Sharpie

Large demonstrations in Toronto in protest against police violence and racism. A twenty eight year old black woman fell to her death from a balcony. Her family allege the police pushed her. Its interesting though that none of the family appear to have been in or near the apartment at the time. Police were there in response to 911 calls regarding possible disturbances and weapons. The woman was an epileptic and also a drug user. The complaints by the demonstrators are police bias against blacks. The Chief of Toronto Police, a black man reports that the Special Investigation Unit will conduct the investigation. It has been reported on some  news stations is that some of the reports of family statements and allegations are not true and were not made as reported.

I am somewhat confused about the racism and bias against people of color, news broadcasts which I see on Canadian news stations indicate a pretty good number of black officers on the department strength. Canada never had slavery and in fact was the safe end of the freedom railway used by former slaves to escape the United States. What I have noticed but possibly because of my bias seen on the news from Toronto that many of the cases related to gang violence are carried out by non white gangs.

One weakness Canada has is that always when something dramatic happens in the States some immediately jump on  the bandwagon , look at us its the same here, the fact is it is not. Turbaned Mounties, and City policemen, recruiting programs to stimulate diversity in recruiting, and it is working as can clearly be seen in most British Columbia cities and towns for sure.

Maple Leaf

The death of that woman (part Black and part Indigenous) is being investigated by the SIU (Special Investigations Unit).  Few facts have emerged so far.

What is known is that there were three calls to 911 from family members, asking the police to take the woman in question to CAMH, our equivalent to SAMH.  She was apparently completely out of control and stressed out due to a family issue. The police arrived, the family left the apartment, and the woman fell to her death from the 24th floor.  At this point, that's all that has been made public.

The problem for many people is that the Toronto Metropolitan Police have a dodgy record in situations like this, although it has improved in the last couple of years.  There are several well-documented cases of people being shot by the police when it seemed unnecessary, and police officers lying to protect each other.

And having the SIU involved doesn't bring much satisfaction.  Police officers are not required to talk with the SIU, and most refuse to cooperate, at least in Toronto.  The result?  In 98% of all SIU investigations, the police are exonerated.

18 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Large demonstrations in Toronto in protest against police violence and racism. A twenty eight year old black woman fell to her death from a balcony. Her family allege the police pushed her. Its interesting though that none of the family appear to have been in or near the apartment at the time. Police were there in response to 911 calls regarding possible disturbances and weapons. The woman was an epileptic and also a drug user. The complaints by the demonstrators are police bias against blacks. The Chief of Toronto Police, a black man reports that the Special Investigation Unit will conduct the investigation. It has been reported on some  news stations is that some of the reports of family statements and allegations are not true and were not made as reported.

I am somewhat confused about the racism and bias against people of color, news broadcasts which I see on Canadian news stations indicate a pretty good number of black officers on the department strength. Canada never had slavery and in fact was the safe end of the freedom railway used by former slaves to escape the United States. What I have noticed but possibly because of my bias seen on the news from Toronto that many of the cases related to gang violence are carried out by non white gangs.

One weakness Canada has is that always when something dramatic happens in the States some immediately jump on  the bandwagon , look at us its the same here, the fact is it is not. Turbaned Mounties, and City policemen, recruiting programs to stimulate diversity in recruiting, and it is working as can clearly be seen in most British Columbia cities and towns for sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Canada

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

The death of that woman (part Black and part Indigenous) is being investigated by the SIU (Special Investigations Unit).  Few facts have emerged so far.

What is known is that there were three calls to 911 from family members, asking the police to take the woman in question to CAMH, our equivalent to SAMH.  She was apparently completely out of control and stressed out due to a family issue. The police arrived, the family left the apartment, and the woman fell to her death from the 24th floor.  At this point, that's all that has been made public.

The problem for many people is that the Toronto Metropolitan Police have a dodgy record in situations like this, although it has improved in the last couple of years.  There are several well-documented cases of people being shot by the police when it seemed unnecessary, and police officers lying to protect each other.

And having the SIU involved doesn't bring much satisfaction.  Police officers are not required to talk with the SIU, and most refuse to cooperate, at least in Toronto.  The result?  In 98% of all SIU investigations, the police are exonerated.

Just a couple of points the Toronto SIU as here in B.C. is a civilian group who investigate police incidents. They are not part of the police department as such. I don,t know about Toronto but here they have concluded investigations with recommendation for charges against officers. With regard to the police officers not saying anything to SIU you do understand that anyone advised that they are under investigation for a possible legal action has the right to reman\silent In fact the investigator is legally bound to advise the interviewed, I would also add that if an accused or person under investigation tells his defence attorney he has given a full uncautioned statement he would be roundly criticised.

The circumstances of this full matter are to say the least confusing. The family or associates made some very strong allegations and statements regarding this incident, on being that the police threw the dad woman off the balcony. These statements were later retracted when there was admission that none f them wee present at the same time as police.

The submission it seems being made is that three police officers attended a 911 call to an address. The occupant a mixed race drug addicted epileptic with some other problems was in some trouble. The three officers entered and at some time threw or caused this woman to fall from the balcony. The police department has instituteda full investigation but it seems a finding of guilt has already ben made.

Just now, Sharpie said:

Thank you for the very enlightening article on slavery in Canada I did see one part that said it was so minimal that many in Canada and beyond were unaware that it ever happened in Canada, I can only plead guilty to this belief.  

It was indeed not widespread at all Bob, and nowhere near the vast scale experienced elsewhere in the Americas. I'm sorry for potentially detracting from the points you were making in your post, but I just thought I should point the article out.

Maple Leaf
2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Thank you for the very enlightening article on slavery in Canada I did see one part that said it was so minimal that many in Canada and beyond were unaware that it ever happened in Canada, I can only plead guilty to this belief.  

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

It was indeed not widespread at all Bob, and nowhere near the vast scale experienced elsewhere in the Americas. I'm sorry for potentially detracting from the points you were making in your post, but I just thought I should point the article out.

I have to admit that I was also unaware of there having been slavery in Canada, apart from slavery among the First Nations before the colonial era.

On a point of order, m'lud, I have to point out that the nation of Canada didn't exist before 1867, and there has certainly been no slavery since that time.  :wink:

6 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I have to admit that I was also unaware of there having been slavery in Canada, apart from slavery among the First Nations before the colonial era.

On a point of order, m'lud, I have to point out that the nation of Canada didn't exist before 1867, and there has certainly been no slavery since that time.  :wink:

Overruled! Bob's original statement didn't include the word "nation". He could have been referring to Canada the province created in 1841. Although I suppose you would be right there too, since slavery was finally officially abolished in 1833. Damn. So, overruled a second time! ;) He could have been referring loosely to the former "colony" of The Canadas, represented by the actual colonies of Upper Canada and Lower Canada formed in 1791.

No, I'm scraping the barrel now. Okay, you win. 🙁 Sustained!

Maple Leaf
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Overruled! Bob's original statement didn't include the word "nation". He could have been referring to Canada the province created in 1841. Although I suppose you would be right there too, since slavery was finally officially abolished in 1833. Damn. So, overruled a second time! ;) He could have been referring loosely to the former "colony" of The Canadas, represented by the actual colonies of Upper Canada and Lower Canada formed in 1791.

No, I'm scraping the barrel now. Okay, you win. 🙁 Sustained!

I'm also assuming that the way the wife treats me around my own house isn't a form of slavery?  :arf:  

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'm also assuming that the way the wife treats me around my own house isn't a form of slavery?  :arf:  

Could you leave if you wanted?