Best manager and player that Hearts have ever been linked with?

gregzy2k7

Just a bit of fun I would like to ask the question to you all who do you think the best manager and or player Hearts have ever been officially linked with but never signed?

Managed to find this article from the bbc linking us with Sir bobby robson and nevio scala! 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/4376058.stm

Unbelievable eh? oh what could have been if only Mr.romanov had actually appointed one of those two.

Player wise i would probably say Javier Portillo (former real madrid player) i can't seem to find the link but I'm sure he was one of the world cup stars that were promised by romanov?  The other one was ahn jun hwang (South Korean international)

Vialli must be up there. Rumour was he'd come close to coming in as def and it was he who recommended Rix.

Eidur Gudjonnsson (sp) was linked as a player iirc. Lots of silly rumours around that time.

A good question would who is the most famous player of modern times. Bruno maybe? Or Guerin?

8 minutes ago, pointon said:

Didier Deschamps

Yes, surely Deschamps.

Sure it was £40,000 we could have had him for 🤣

kingantti1874
16 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Yes, surely Deschamps.

Sure it was £40,000 we could have had him for 🤣

we also had the opportunity to sign Dani when he was at sporting and passed it up 🤦‍♂️

21 minutes ago, been here before said:

Denis Law.

When were we linked with Denis Law ? 

Is this another one of your wind ups ? 

been here before
54 minutes ago, luckydug said:

When were we linked with Denis Law ? 

Is this another one of your wind ups ? 

I posted about it a while back...

Auld Reekin'
49 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Hleb. 

It was Vyacheslav Hleb who was supposed to be signing for us ("He's On His Way..."), rather than his much more famous, talented, professional, and disciplined elder brother, Alexander.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank. Apparently he was well up for it and so were we. And then we discovered he wanted £40k a week. 

28 minutes ago, been here before said:

I posted about it a while back...

I remember that from the time. Was in school and very excited at the prospect of the Lawman playing in Maroon. Very disappointed when it fell through

Carl Fredrickson

Players: Jean Pier Papan (sp?), Robbie Savage, Stan Collymore and Vinnie Jones

Manager: Alex Ferguson to replace wee Doddie. 

AlimOzturk

Rainieri. Imagine he would have won in the league had he been appointed after what has achieved at Leicester

7 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Rainieri. Imagine he would have won in the league had he been appointed after what has achieved at Leicester

And on the wages he wanted, it would have been expected.  

22 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Just a bit of fun I would like to ask the question to you all who do you think the best manager and or player Hearts have ever been officially linked with but never signed?

Managed to find this article from the bbc linking us with Sir bobby robson and nevio scala! 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/4376058.stm

Unbelievable eh? oh what could have been if only Mr.romanov had actually appointed one of those two.

Player wise i would probably say Javier Portillo (former real madrid player) i can't seem to find the link but I'm sure he was one of the world cup stars that were promised by romanov?  The other one was ahn jun hwang (South Korean international)

Lothar Mattaus during Romanov era.

Edit: This was for manager position.

https://hearts.vitalfootball.co.uk/matthaus-hearts-interest-confirmed/

Edited by Marvin

I suppose probably when we were linked with Dave MacKay coming back to us in the sixties. He appeared to be a dead cert signing, then Derby County came in for him and the rest is history. 

Edited by Deevers

16 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Manager: Alex Ferguson to replace wee Doddie. 

I remember that. Sir Alex had be tapped by WM and almost signed. 

Jim McLean was another.

LeylandJambo
20 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Was nuno gomes not linked at one point as well?

As far as I believe he was willing to play for nothing just to get game time to get in the Portuguese world cup or euro's squad. He's a friend of Concalves apparently.

WorldChampions1902
20 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I suppose probably when we were linked with Dave MacKay coming back to us in the sixties. He appeared to be a dead cert signing, then Derby County came in for him and the rest is history. 

Seemingly he had reached agreement with us to become player manager. I read in one book that Clough and Taylor drove down to Spurs training ground unannounced and asked to speak with DM and their manager told them they were wasting their time as he was going back to Hearts. Clough persisted and managed to persuade the Sours manager to let him speak to Dave. The rest as they say is history.

SectionDJambo
24 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I seem to remember Dave saying, at the time, that he had a reputation as a player with Hearts to preserve. He was unsure whether it would be a good thing for him to run the risk of tarnishing that reputation, by things not working out if he came back.

Looking at what he did with Derby County, he wouldn’t have been the problem, but the Hearts board could have been. They were hopeless and just clinging to power.

5 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I seem to remember Dave saying, at the time, that he had a reputation as a player with Hearts to preserve. He was unsure whether it would be a good thing for him to run the risk of tarnishing that reputation, by things not working out if he came back.

Looking at what he did with Derby County, he wouldn’t have been the problem, but the Hearts board could have been. They were hopeless and just clinging to power.

No doubt about the inept way the Board run the club at that time. I went to watch Mackay’s first match with Derby at St Johnstone in a friendly and my heart sank at how good he still was and that he was not with us.

4 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Jim Duffy. 

Done as good as sign for us with the job he done at Hibs! Great undercover work Jim.....😂

Guest ToqueJambo

Has to be alex ferguson as manager, and it was a real possibility. Sliding doors moment for him and us.

I always remember this weird thing where we were linked with a relative of maradona - hugo or something? May have dreamt it though.

Not a big name player but I remember being very excited at john brown coming ti us then very disappointed he failed the medical and went on to be brilliant for rangers.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Has to be alex ferguson as manager, and it was a real possibility. Sliding doors moment for him and us.

I always remember this weird thing where we were linked with a relative of maradona - hugo or something? May have dreamt it though.

I seem to mind in the mid 80s we were linked with Hugo Sanchez! He went from Atletico Madrid to Real. Days before internet etc so could have/probably was just nonsense but in those days you felt anything was possible. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I seem to mind in the mid 80s we were linked with Hugo Sanchez! He went from Atletico Madrid to Real. Days before internet etc so could have/probably was just nonsense but in those days you felt anything was possible. 

maybe that’s who I mean. I’m sure I remember someone with a maradona connection though.

In those Pre-internet days all you had to work on was the papers. You couldn’t google around to

learn everything about every player.

Theres a great book about a brazilian - Kaiser - who pretended to be a footballer For years and got loads of contracts despite never kicking a ball. Simply because he was friends with lots if footballers. He couldn’t get away with that now, although... maulary

martin reminded me of him especially when those

pics of martin training with a bunch of top stars at some charity or fifa thing surfaced.

Edited by ToqueJambo

gashauskis9

Fergie being tipped to come when he was about to get his jotters at Man Utd in 1990.

Player wise - Nuno Gomes while he was still one of Portugal’s main strikers.  

2 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Fergie being tipped to come when he was about to get his jotters at Man Utd in 1990.

I’ve not heard the term ‘jotters’ for years.  😄

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I’ve not heard the term ‘jotters’ for years.  😄

I’m in a nostalgic mood today 😜

Ottmar Hitzfeld was linked with the managers job during the Romanov era. Champions League winner with both Bayern and Dortmund.

8 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

I’m in a nostalgic mood today 😜

I was tempted to say that I hadn’t heard that term in ‘donkeys’ but I’d probably have got the the ‘Politically correct’ arseholes all over me! 

Withdrawn my final sentence.  

Edited by Morgan

Dave Mackay as manager and the Gornik player whose name I can't remember who was rated by many at that time as the best player in the world.

Lubanski.  Just remembered.  The deal was done but the Russian govt blocked it.

Samuel Camazzola

Zdenek Grygera was another who was rumoured to have been scouted by Hunt during Burley's reign. 

He was with Ajax at the time and moved to Juve a couple of years later. I'm sure he signed for Fulham a few tears back but can't recall seeing him much. 

Bazzas right boot

Alex Ferguson...…..If only.

18 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

beaten to it.

20 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not a big name player but I remember being very excited at john brown coming ti us then very disappointed he failed the medical and went on to be brilliant for rangers.

I'm sure Sir Alex was wanted had Mercer been successful in burying Hibs.

Alex MacDonald lost his job ariund then anyhow.