Hearts 5 Man City 1

EIEIO

Reading the autobiography of former Charlton, Luton, Liverpool, Spurs , Pompey and Man City striker Paul Walsh on my kindle.

Fair çheered me up when he describes being in Auld Reekie for a friendly v Hearts and getting a drubbing. Usual I lasted an hour as I was recovering from a groin strain excuse ie bad loser. The whole game , friendly or not, was a demoralizing experience...

Not for me I remember it well. Whatever happened to Man City?

3 minutes ago, Trained One said:

Sure they got relegated that season too.

They did.  A couple of years later they got relegated to the old second division.  Obviously us hammering them was the start of a downward spiral.

Tommy Brown

Alan Ball was the manager and had a disasterous spell.

The Man City fans had a song dedicated to him "Blunderball". :lol:

Paul Walsh blames most of the decline on Alan Ball's insistence of building a team around Georgi Kinkladze.  Played players in alien positions wingers played centrally so no width, no crosses for big Niall Quinn to head home.  

Just finished the book now Terry Veneables doesn't come out of it well either.

lost in leith

The gag at the time was what do Alan Ball and the Titanic have in common?  Neither of them should have left Southampton.

Highlight was the city fans singing "we're shite and we know we are" in a high pitched squeaky voice taking the proverbial out of alan ball.

I was working in the sample room that night, the place was bouncing with both sets of fans. I ended up in A&E, slipped behind the bar with a pint glass in my hand, got a beauty scar on my wrist.

kingantti1874

Always remember Nicky Summerbee Jnr playing in that game.. not got a clue why..

I met a few of their fans outside who were absolute bellends which led to a lifetime dislike of city.. 

If I remember rightly we all thought we were going to have a great season after it. Oddly we did, losing 3rd to Aberdeen on goal difference and getting into a final and Europe.  

Hearts v Man City is quite an impressive fixture.

Lots of friendlies played in post season summer tours late 50s etc in Australia. High scoring games. Wins and defeats. 

Pasquale for King

A City fan got on the 2 bus at Haymarket and was telling us about a new guy called Kinkladze, but couldn’t pronounce it 😃

28 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Always remember Nicky Summerbee Jnr playing in that game.. not got a clue why..

I met a few of their fans outside who were absolute bellends which led to a lifetime dislike of city.. 

In the 80s there was a alliance of sorts between Hearts and Man City fans particularly between Ardmillan Hearts and City fans. Group of us from Lithgae went on a bus to Maine Road leaving Ardmillian just after midnight on a Friday. Bus fare includes a bottle of pomagne if I recall.

Shame City have become what they hated ie another Man United style plastic club for tourists.

28 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Hearts v Man City is quite an impressive fixture.

Lots of friendlies played in post season summer tours late 50s etc in Australia. High scoring games. Wins and defeats. 

We have reasonable record against the Rags too.

jack D and coke

I was there. Seem to remember even David Hagen scoring that day. They were proper shit back then. 

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I was there. Seem to remember even David Hagen scoring that day. They were proper shit back then. 

They were both shit and a premier league team. 

Super_Hans
3 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

12 year old me missed two John Colquhoun goals trying to get a pie.

I think I missed three goals. A 12 year old me queuing for maroon coloured popcorn at the School End kiosk.

:vrface:

Did we not lose 1-0 to Newcastle a few days before in what was the opening of the new School End?

There was a massive crowd that night. About 2500 Geordies in the away end. 

Francis Albert

In 1958 we played Man City 4 times in the Empire State Cup celebrating 25 years of the American Soccer League.won 6-5, 5-2, and 6-0 but lost 1-7 In the third game. Crowds of over 20,000 In New York, Vancouver and Toronto.

16 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

In 1958 we played Man City 4 times in the Empire State Cup celebrating 25 years of the American Soccer League.won 6-5, 5-2, and 6-0 but lost 1-7 In the third game. Crowds of over 20,000 In New York, Vancouver and Toronto.

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/195805251.html

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/195805311.html

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/195806071.html

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/195806111.html

Won 6-0, 13-2, 4-1, 13-2, 10-0 in the other games on that tour. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Alan Lawrence scored I think.  City were awful,  lost their first 8 or something akin

millerjames398

Im sure Paul walsh scored for spurs against us in a 1-1 draw at tynie, fozzie scored for us im sure, gazza played as well.

millerjames398
4 hours ago, HMS Jambo said:

Did we not lose 1-0 to Newcastle a few days before in what was the opening of the new School End?

Think your right, that was a more than decent Newcastle team as well, Ferdinand and shearer up front?

millerjames398
5 hours ago, EIEIO said:

In the 80s there was a alliance of sorts between Hearts and Man City fans particularly between Ardmillan Hearts and City fans. Group of us from Lithgae went on a bus to Maine Road leaving Ardmillian just after midnight on a Friday. Bus fare includes a bottle of pomagne if I recall.

Shame City have become what they hated ie another Man United style plastic club for tourists.

I remember there used to be a really smart man city mirror, that hung on the wall in the ardmillan, and there used to be a few Manchester boys in nearly every week, in the early 90s, when i used to use the club.

4 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Im sure Paul walsh scored for spurs against us in a 1-1 draw at tynie, fozzie scored for us im sure, gazza played as well.

Lineker too. 

5 hours ago, EIEIO said:

So, it was a wee section of Hearts fans and not the whole support? 😁😛

Personally have never taken to City. It shows how time changes perceptions. City are far more a plastic club than Man U, imo. The latter have a far more illustrious history initially built in times money wasn’t around. They used to get over 40k at Old Trafford in the old division 2 aswell. Always been a well supported club but the image in modern times is they’ve manufactured bigger numbers.  

Btw, Man U aren’t my favourite English side, just like to be a football observer sometimes and uphold facts against fiction. 😀.   

Finlay James

I was there, City were dreadful but weirdly had some very decent players.  Couldn't handle JC though ❤️

millerjames398
Just now, martoon said:

Lineker too. 

Jeezo, can't believe i forgot lineker, did derek ferguson not make his tynie debut, and match up not bad against gazza, or has time played tricks with my mind?😄

I’ve never forgiven Man City for signing Arthur Mann especially as they got him far too cheaply!

Just now, millerjames398 said:

Jeezo, can't believe i forgot lineker, did derek ferguson not make his tynie debut, and match up not bad against gazza, or has time played tricks with my mind?😄

Don't recall if Ferguson played, bud. 

I do, however, recall that Lineker, like his teammates, were largely invisible as all eyes were on Gazza. He was superb that night and got a standing ovation when he was subbed. He applauded in response as he went off, iirc. 

11 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

So, it was a wee section of Hearts fans and not the whole support? 😁😛

Personally have never taken to City. It shows how time changes perceptions. City are far more a plastic club than Man U, imo. The latter have a far more illustrious history initially built in times money wasn’t around. They used to get over 40k at Old Trafford in the old division 2 aswell. Always been a well supported club but the image in modern times is they’ve manufactured bigger numbers.  

Btw, Man U aren’t my favourite English side, just like to be a football observer sometimes and uphold facts against fiction. 😀.   

Think City were the main club in Manchester until the Munich air disaster. United also kicked on when George Best  played for them in the 60s and attracted big numbers from outwith the North West of England  , they still do to be fair. There were some huge crowds at Maine Road in the old terracing days if you look back. City hibsed it big time falling as low as the third tier however, since Ferguson left United have played second fiddle again. I don't have much interest in any English sides now though , just enjoying some nostalgia.

jack D and coke
44 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Alan Lawrence scored I think.  City were awful,  lost their first 8 or something akin

Just had a look on London Hearts. 
Brian Hamilton

Allan Johnston

John Colquhoun (2)

David Hagen

Nicky Summerbee for them. 

millerjames398
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Don't recall if Ferguson played, bud. 

I do, however, recall that Lineker, like his teammates, were largely invisible as all eyes were on Gazza. He was superb that night and got a standing ovation when he was subbed. He applauded in response as he went off, iirc. 

No worries man👍🏼 like i said i just had a memory of ferguson havin a good game up against gazza, but probably in my head🤯, nearly 30 yrs, madness...🇱🇻

8 hours ago, martoon said:

Lineker too. 

I have a vague recollection of being at a friendly against Leicester City when Lineker played for them at the beginning of his career. Could be talking bollox though.

Салатные палочки
13 hours ago, Super_Hans said:

I think I missed three goals. A 12 year old me queuing for maroon coloured popcorn at the School End kiosk.

:vrface:

It wasn't even proper maroon. Just maroon round the edges :muggy:

Mad pieman oot. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

12 hours ago, HMS Jambo said:

Yes - the Newcastle fans were all in the Gorgie Road end which was still the old terracing with the seats fitted. I think they had just signed Les Ferdinand. IIRC Peter Beardsley scored their goal with a header.

The City game was 5 going on 8 - but we then made a poor start to the league before signing Bruno, Rousset and Eskilsson and things went upwards from there.

Edited by stirlo

Салатные палочки

I missed the City game as we were on holiday but I did witness the 5-0 beefing from Coventry a few months later. 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, stirlo said:

Yes - the Newcastle fans were all in the Gorgie Road end which was still the old terracing with the seats fitted. I think they had just signed Les Ferdinand. IIRC Peter Beardsley scored their goal with a header.

The City game was 5 going on 8 - but we then made a poor start to the league before signing Bruno, Rousset and Eskilsson and things went upwards from there.

I was in the NU end.

Ginola had  maybe just signed. I remember my 4yo boy at the time joining in the Ginola chant.

2 hours ago, pablo said:

I have a vague recollection of being at a friendly against Leicester City when Lineker played for them at the beginning of his career. Could be talking bollox though.

You're right, bud.

Haven't checked but, iirc, it was a preseason game in 1983/84 (or maybe the season before). We lost 2-3 and Lineker scored twice. I was at the game but I don't particularly recall him, tbh. It was a few years before I put 2and2 together and realised it was him. Probably in 1986 after his World Cup exploits.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Looks as if they have the wrong Walsh.

Did two of those end up at St J.

Screenshot_2020-05-30-07-35-50-593_com.android.chrome.thumb.png.122de8ee84854dbe7323cac7da47bf1d.png

Wrong Walsh mad Davy Allan out. Paul Walsh definitely played according to his book. He also took a call atbthe pre match hotel from his mate, who was Pompey manager, asking if Fitzroy Simpson , remember him, could do a job he was then at City too.

Remember the game well as I was smacked in the face by a stray ball hit bt Richard Edghill.

My mate and I were sitting in the wheatfield which was sporadically filled so the whole ground seen. Got a big cheer. Lol. 

42 minutes ago, martoon said:

You're right, bud.

Haven't checked but, iirc, it was a preseason game in 1983/84 (or maybe the season before). We lost 2-3 and Lineker scored twice. I was at the game but I don't particularly recall him, tbh. It was a few years before I put 2and2 together and realised it was him. Probably in 1986 after his World Cup exploits.

That's the one. Cheers 

I sat behind the goals in the school end that day.

Did we play Coventry around the same time and beat them too?

I’ve bizarrely held this image in my head of Dave Beasant playing for City that day for years. Seems my memory has been playing tricks on me and that not only did he not play against Hearts that day, he’s never even played for City. I’ve been living a lie apparently for most of my adult life :rofl:

Edited by The Merse

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Just had a look on London Hearts. 
Brian Hamilton

Allan Johnston

John Colquhoun (2)

David Hagen

Nicky Summerbee for them. 

Cheers,  did Lawrence play? Had a handy season as I remember 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Cheers,  did Lawrence play? Had a handy season as I remember 

No sign of nipper nut. 

13 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I’ve never forgiven Man City for signing Arthur Mann especially as they got him far too cheaply!

HaHa! Yes that pissed me off at the time too!