Germany England, euro 96

superjack

Watching this on ITV 4 and penalties are only a few minutes away. 

I think knowing the result is making it more enjoyable.

brunoatemyhamster

The celebration after the last penalty. 

Love it. 

I’m an hour behind on +1. Interesting how Gazza basically plays like a kid running all over the place trying to do everything himself. And he’s allowed to do it, if I was Venables I’d be trying to get him to stay in a more set position where he can damage Germany. Also a very good example of how Some England players seem to like playing angry thinking the passion Will get them through. I can’t remember the last time a team with that attitude did it on the big stage. 

I was staying in a castle in Chester-le-Street when this game was on.

It was great fun in the bar!

Smoked-Glass

Even my mum who has no interest in football was watching with me and my dad. Everyone going for Germany. 

That ball just out of reach by gazza ooo

I’ve just realised that Andy Moller’s puffed out chest thing was very similar to what Gazza did after he scored his. Top notch shithousery. 

We weren’t too bad ourselves that year. Sad where we find ourselves now. 

Bertie ❤️

And of course England repeated their 1966 trick of all their games being at Wembley. It’s also been written out of history what a hounding Spain gave them in the quarters. 
Yet at the end of the semi John Barnes claimed that they played Germany off the pitch. A view even Brian Moore couldn’t give during the commentary. Luckily according to the pundits it proved England were one of the top teams in the world and were in a good place for the next World Cup. Oops. 

That England team were decent but nothing special.

They had all their games at home and even then, weren't great:

Switzerland - Drew

Scotland - Beat us 2-0 but if the penalty goes in.......

Holland - Great result, but Holland had imploded with lots of infighting

Spain - Drew (lucky to get a draw) and won on pens

Germany - Drew and knocked out on pens.

England won two games out of five at home, it's a pretty poor record to be honest.

Watching southgate stepping up to take that penalty had me on the edge of my seat.

14 hours ago, Tazio said:

And of course England repeated their 1966 trick of all their games being at Wembley. It’s also been written out of history what a hounding Spain gave them in the quarters. 
Yet at the end of the semi John Barnes claimed that they played Germany off the pitch. A view even Brian Moore couldn’t give during the commentary. Luckily according to the pundits it proved England were one of the top teams in the world and were in a good place for the next World Cup. Oops. 

John Barnes has always been a shammy leather.  I also don't think he was as good a player as HE thought he was.  He really dined out on that goal v Brazil and certainly got nowhere near those heights with England again.  

2 hours ago, TurboT said:

That England team were decent but nothing special.

They had all their games at home and even then, weren't great:

Switzerland - Drew

Scotland - Beat us 2-0 but if the penalty goes in.......

Holland - Great result, but Holland had imploded with lots of infighting

Spain - Drew (lucky to get a draw) and won on pens

Germany - Drew and knocked out on pens.

England won two games out of five at home, it's a pretty poor record to be honest.

It's a common theme in England's perceived good campaigns.  1990, Yes played Ok against Germany and a little unlucky BUT two dives by Lineker saved them against Cameroon and Belgium hit the post twice against them.  Even the hype around 2018.  In that campaign they played 2 good teams and lost both.  In fact did they not lose twice to Belgium?  They were welcomed home as heroes!!

Smoked-Glass
1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

It's a common theme in England's perceived good campaigns.  1990, Yes played Ok against Germany and a little unlucky BUT two dives by Lineker saved them against Cameroon and Belgium hit the post twice against them.  Even the hype around 2018.  In that campaign they played 2 good teams and lost both.  In fact did they not lose twice to Belgium?  They were welcomed home as heroes!!

Cause they got to semis. 

Fort Vallance
5 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

A lot closer than we've ever come. It's like hating your neighbour because he's got a better house than you've got. Not your post particularly btw.

Randy Marsh
6 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

They lost more matches at the last WC than Saudi Arabia. 

• 1 month later...

Alfie’s boys: bbc 2 tonight telling the story of the World Cup 66 team irrespective of who it is they type of documentary’s are quite interesting watched similar on the Lisbon lions on bbc Scotland and it was.

Edited by Angel eyes

Салатные палочки
On 29/05/2020 at 16:28, sassenach said:

Just to put a different angle on Euro 96, I was in a pub watching England v The Netherlands.

A dead rubber for England, the hosts were coasting it 4-0. However, the biggest cheer of the night was when the Dutch pulled one back to make it 4-1, as it meant Scotland went out on goal difference.

Re the other comments, England did indeed carry a lot of luck in certain games and were very lucky against Spain.

Teddy Sheringham admitted that the English team were delighted that Scotland went out. Cockney w

SectionDJambo

Thank goodness that, apart from the odd blip, over the years, the Germans made sure England have only the one World Cup to their name. Which, for a country of their size and expectations, is quite poor.

Compare with italy and Germany.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
On 29/05/2020 at 08:28, sassenach said:

Just to put a different angle on Euro 96, I was in a pub watching England v The Netherlands.

A dead rubber for England, the hosts were coasting it 4-0. However, the biggest cheer of the night was when the Dutch pulled one back to make it 4-1, as it meant Scotland went out on goal difference.

Re the other comments, England did indeed carry a lot of luck in certain games and were very lucky against Spain.

My recollection of that is the complete opposite. I'm sure I've read the crowd was actually chanting for them to get another goal for us. 

Maybe impossible to confirm either way. 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
On 29/05/2020 at 08:28, sassenach said:

My recollection of that is the complete opposite. I'm sure I've read the crowd was actually chanting for them to get another goal for us. 

Maybe impossible to confirm either way. 

13 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Teddy Sheringham admitted that the English team were delighted that Scotland went out. Cockney w

What’s wrong with that? Basically you’re saying that it’s fine for almost the entirety of Scotland wanting England to go out but they’re ******* if they wanted us to go out.

Салатные палочки
6 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

What’s wrong with that? Basically you’re saying that it’s fine for almost the entirety of Scotland wanting England to go out but they’re ******* if they wanted us to go out.

It's alright for the fans aye but it suggests to me that the team took their foot off the gas because they knew a Dutch goal would mean Scotland went out.

That's what's wrong with it. 

3 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

It's alright for the fans aye but it suggests to me that the team took their foot off the gas because they knew a Dutch goal would mean Scotland went out.

That's what's wrong with it. 

I highly doubt they chucked one in just to see us knocked out. Maybe an “every cloud and all that“ moment but nothing more sinister than that.