Riots in Minneapolis

annushorribilis III

The Internet

All seems peaceful until a random masked man carrying an umbrella starts smashing windows. 

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Justin Z

• Sharpie

• The Internet

• luckyBatistuta

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

All seems peaceful until a random masked man carrying an umbrella starts smashing windows. 

He's dressed like one of Trump's very fine people.

Spitonastranger
17 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Once again I will say I have every sympathy for the family and of course the victim of this brutal unjustified action, but having watched numerous similar incidents followed by riots and damage I have to think another type of action may be more positive. I can understand that ridding by action frustrations can be comforting but is not long lasting.

The years of peaceful protest did do much

Greenbank2

I spent the best part of a year living in Silicon Valley - albeit 25 years ago. One of the most liberal progressive parts of the USA but chose to return to Scotland because of the undercurrent of subversive racism that existed. It was mostly aimed at the latino communities. Don't get me wrong, there are millions of wonderful people in the USA and it is a fantastic country. But Trump has awoken a slumbering monster and given it legitimacy. Many of those who voted for him have attitudes similar to Afrikaners during apartheid.

America's power was probably at it's height in in the 1990's after the fall of communism and its waning influence is beginning to accelerate. Many of the people who support Trump believe that America won, and that there is only one right way - their way - and anyone who disputes this is an enemy. That includes, foreigners, cultural minorities, ethnic minorities etc. They behave much like Britain did at the height of empire, but unlike Britain, the "plebs" are not held in place by an controlling elitist class system, but have been given a champion to rally around. America's power and influence is beginning to wane on the word stage, something they will never accept. And it will continue to position itself as top dog for many decades to come. Look at Britain - 120 years after the height of empire and 75 years since it was, the elites continue to behave and believe it is globally relevant. They have just never woken up to the fact that for a long time nobody else does. The USA has a lot further to fall. And they won't do it quietly.

Of course, this November the many decent people of that nation have a chance to change course. I'm not as sure as I once was that they will. I predicted in 2014 whilst visiting the South, that Trump would win the GOP nomination and was unsurprised when he won the presidency. John Niven's latest novel is set in the US in 2026. In it, Trump is re-elected in 2020, and with Mike Pence resigning because of a scandal in 2022, he appoints Ivanka VP, who then goes on to become POTUS in 2024. There is some tongue-in-cheek  in the plot, but the society described is not beyond the realms of imagination.

One last thought - how long until the riots spread to other cities - I expect LA next.

Rioting, looting and fire raising only further reinforces the views of racists and will make the Police even more likely to harass non-whites.

And so the cycle continues.

Widespread damage only harms the cause and reduces public support.

No change will be brought about by rioting. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
21 minutes ago, Greenbank2 said:

I spent the best part of a year living in Silicon Valley - albeit 25 years ago. One of the most liberal progressive parts of the USA but chose to return to Scotland because of the undercurrent of subversive racism that existed. It was mostly aimed at the latino communities. Don't get me wrong, there are millions of wonderful people in the USA and it is a fantastic country. But Trump has awoken a slumbering monster and given it legitimacy. Many of those who voted for him have attitudes similar to Afrikaners during apartheid.

America's power was probably at it's height in in the 1990's after the fall of communism and its waning influence is beginning to accelerate. Many of the people who support Trump believe that America won, and that there is only one right way - their way - and anyone who disputes this is an enemy. That includes, foreigners, cultural minorities, ethnic minorities etc. They behave much like Britain did at the height of empire, but unlike Britain, the "plebs" are not held in place by an controlling elitist class system, but have been given a champion to rally around. America's power and influence is beginning to wane on the word stage, something they will never accept. And it will continue to position itself as top dog for many decades to come. Look at Britain - 120 years after the height of empire and 75 years since it was, the elites continue to behave and believe it is globally relevant. They have just never woken up to the fact that for a long time nobody else does. The USA has a lot further to fall. And they won't do it quietly.

Of course, this November the many decent people of that nation have a chance to change course. I'm not as sure as I once was that they will. I predicted in 2014 whilst visiting the South, that Trump would win the GOP nomination and was unsurprised when he won the presidency. John Niven's latest novel is set in the US in 2026. In it, Trump is re-elected in 2020, and with Mike Pence resigning because of a scandal in 2022, he appoints Ivanka VP, who then goes on to become POTUS in 2024. There is some tongue-in-cheek  in the plot, but the society described is not beyond the realms of imagination.

One last thought - how long until the riots spread to other cities - I expect LA next.

I can’t even understand the mindset of people who think Trump is good for them. I assume they’re either racists, too thick to know better or too poor to think that anyone else would help them. Still not sure enough people realise how dangerous this idiot is

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Cade said:

Rioting, looting and fire raising only further reinforces the views of racists and will make the Police even more likely to harass non-whites.

And so the cycle continues.

Widespread damage only harms the cause and reduces public support.

No change will be brought about by rioting. 

A lot of the protesters probably feel no change will be brought about full stop. Rioting won’t achieve anything but it is a way of venting when the people who matter aren’t listening 

Ive travelled around America a bit and tbh, its a complete shithole once you scratch the surface.

Its racist as ****, most of it looks like the inside of a bin and the food is only fun for about a week until you tire of gorging yourself on cheap shite for evey meal.   

Walking through places like New Orleans, parts of Miami,  Philadelphia, parts of NY, you genuinely think you're in a third world country.

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Greenbank2 said:

No very far-fetched, imo.

11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

There has to be a better way of protesting than smashing up and burning your own city.

There is, they were doing it and were tear gassed and clubbed for it. Presumably some decided to try something else.

And the reality is there is an element who are probably uninterested in the fate of the dead man but who will always use these things as a cover to do what they would like to be doing all the time. Theft and vandalism.

Same thing as happened in Britain in 2011 after the shooting of Mark Duggan.

Just read Trumps tweet. Wants to move in the military and  says when the looting starts the shooting starts. This is an American President, in an American city threatening to shoot down American citizens for theft. Much as I find looting intolerant I find it absolutely disgusting, archaic and probably illegal to threaten to shoot people for a property attack offence.  This is a comment by an out of control man who one would hope is suffering from some form of mental illness, as suggested on here earlier, rather than the sane calculated thinking of what has been described as the most powerful position in the world. I have sen lots in my time, but I read that little piece on another news channel and I am sitting here actually feeling sick to my stomach, what the hell is happening in the USA,  it really mind boggling.

23 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Once again I will say I have every sympathy for the family and of course the victim of this brutal unjustified action, but having watched numerous similar incidents followed by riots and damage I have to think another type of action may be more positive. I can understand that ridding by action frustrations can be comforting but is not long lasting.

While I don’t agree with rioting/looting you need to understand the way the situation has escalated, it didn’t start with rioting but with peaceful, unarmed, sit down protests that were met with tear gas (compare it to the covid protests in michigan where white, armed protesters who were screaming in the faces of police officers who did not react in any way whatsoever). 

2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Just read Trumps tweet. Wants to move in the military and  says when the looting starts the shooting starts. This is an American President, in an American city threatening to shoot down American citizens for theft. Much as I find looting intolerant I find it absolutely disgusting, archaic and probably illegal to threaten to shoot people for a property attack offence.  This is a comment by an out of control man who one would hope is suffering from some form of mental illness, as suggested on here earlier, rather than the sane calculated thinking of what has been described as the most powerful position in the world. I have sen lots in my time, but I read that little piece on another news channel and I am sitting here actually feeling sick to my stomach, what the hell is happening in the USA,  it really mind boggling.

Twitter have confirmed that Trump's tweet would have been fully removed for inciting violence if it wasn’t the case that his account is flagged as public interest

35 minutes ago, Ribble said:

While I don’t agree with rioting/looting you need to understand the way the situation has escalated, it didn’t start with rioting but with peaceful, unarmed, sit down protests that were met with tear gas (compare it to the covid protests in michigan where white, armed protesters who were screaming in the faces of police officers who did not react in any way whatsoever). 

I have to admit at no time on either CNN, MSNBC, Fox News did I see peaceful protestors sitting and being tear gassed. I did see protesters not looters standing and obvious leaders with megaphones being very strong in their oration to the peaceful demonstrators. Not too long later all channels showed store windows broken, people climbing in to the stores and removing things such as TV's. There was additional film of people doing exactly what one expects from peaceful and in this particular case very warranted protest. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the situation, as can happen people with a genuine interest are betrayed by those who would use the situation to gratify their wanton interests by looting, setting fires and doing damage. I have no real opinion about the situation you mention in Michigan, I will say from experience and training if my men were being subject to verbal taunts by armed protestors I would probably tell them to stay calm,  having learned on the streets of Edinburgh at that age of about four or five that sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me. What action would you have been content with the police in Michigan taking.  I could handle and have screaming in my face, but when it was being done by as you report white armed protestors sometimes  caution is safer as it seems resulted there than action.

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

By sheer coincidence I saw this tonight. A rare serious moment on QI, you don’t need to watch the whole thing but the first 3’30” is genuinely astonishing in terms of America and it’s attitude towards crime. I’d also like to state I have no agenda against the country and have always enjoyed it on many visits. 

I’m not sure if anyone cruelly watched this but it brings up more than a couple of things that shocked me. Such as 1% of the American populace is in prison at any one time, more than any other country. And also how the 3 strikes and you’re out system can be used. One of the examples used being a guy serving 25 years for stealing some VHS tapes. No bloody wonder people resist arrest. Imaging getting caught shoplifting and potentially getting a life sentence. Obviously the easy answer is don’t do it but petty crime can be the only way to survive in a country with minimal social welfare. 

dobmisterdobster
4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

There has to be a better way of protesting than smashing up and burning your own city.

Nothing has been learned from LA in 92.

Rioting hurts poor people and immigrants.

Especially Asian Americans who have their businesses torched.

And yes I do believe the police officer responsible for that man's death should be charged.

29 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

And yes I do believe the police officer responsible for that man's death should be charged.

Historically - they tried doing the whole silent protest, they tried peaceful protest, theyve tried sitting down, theyve trieds riots, they've tried everything.

What do people suggest they do? They appear to have a racist president backed by the mentally ill religious, wall street and hill billies.

Edited by The Brow

J.T.F.Robertson
25 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Along with the three stooges.

alwaysthereinspirit
7 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Historically - they tried doing the whole silent protest, they tried peaceful protest, theyve tried sitting down, theyve trieds riots, they've tried everything.

What do people suggest they do? They appear to have a racist president backed by the mentally ill religious, wall street and hill billies.

You should have edited a little more. It's still a $#ite post. Who's they?

1 minute ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

You should have edited a little more. It's still a $#ite post. Who's they?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Its clearly the black community.

For the hard of thinking.

I cannot understand under the circumstances and evidence available why he wasn't in custody   as a flight risk. It was clear that an offence by way of the knee on the throat was concerned, and the fact that the victim died made it a serious offence regardless of actual charges.

Sawdust Caesar

Charged with 3rd degree murder & manslaughter. 

There is new phone film footage showing 2 of the other cops are kneeling on him, one on his back which, as well as the knee on the neck, wont have helped him breathe. 

5 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Cop has apparently been charged with murder.

Hopefully true

Sadly isn't going to help George Floyd any but if it stops the cop assaulting and/or killing any more folk at least that'll be something.

Just now, Boof said:

Sadly isn't going to help George Floyd any but if it stops the cop assaulting and/or killing any more folk at least that'll be something.

I think thats all we civil minded people hope for, but sadly I think its a forlorn hope. The two entities black and white are too firmly ensconced in their prejudiced beliefs to just give up and get on together, why I always say I don't like the word hate, because it removes all ability to use reason.

4 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Charged with 3rd degree murder & manslaughter. 

There is new phone film footage showing 2 of the other cops are kneeling on him, one on his back which, as well as the knee on the neck, wont have helped him breathe. 

Making good use of the IDF tactics that the US police are coached in in terms of restraining prisoners. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Making good use of the IDF tactics that the US police are coached in in terms of restraining prisoners. 

They are also coached when using that tactic to immediately desist when the individual has ceased resistance, which this man obviously had if he had even ever started. 

12 minutes ago, Boof said:

Indeed, hopefully gets the boy some justice though.

Riccarton3
5 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

There is, they were doing it and were tear gassed and clubbed for it. Presumably some decided to try something else.

And the reality is there is an element who are probably uninterested in the fate of the dead man but who will always use these things as a cover to do what they would like to be doing all the time. Theft and vandalism.

Same thing as happened in Britain in 2011 after the shooting of Mark Duggan.

There will always be elements to exploit the situation. But far more sinister are the infiltrators. Happens all the time.

Edited by Riccarton3

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Cop has apparently been charged with murder.

Hopefully true

alwaysthereinspirit

Well at least the pandemic is helping the scum “protesters” stay anonymous.

27 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Well at least the pandemic is helping the scum “protesters” stay anonymous.

is-this-a-buffet-bootlickers-36533170.pn

alwaysthereinspirit
1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

is-this-a-buffet-bootlickers-36533170.pn

I can assure you no work boots were taken during the looting. That’s for sure.

57 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I can assure you no work boots were taken during the looting. That’s for sure.

Huh weird. I don't hear anything, but my dog is going nuts.

Edited by Justin Z

alwaysthereinspirit
21 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Huh weird. I don't hear anything, but my dog is going nuts.

Maybe the dog is watching the news and unlike his master doesn’t condone what he/she is seeing.
Could be related to the dog-whistle messaging on the channel you watch.

46 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Maybe the dog is watching the news and unlike his master doesn’t condone what he/she is seeing.
Could be related to the dog-whistle messaging on the channel you watch.

Just reading your posts, pal. He's a clever one, alright.

The Internet

A 19 year old protestor in detroit has been killed after someone drove by and fired into the crowd. 

Edited by Mauricio Pinilla

Harry Potter
On 28/05/2020 at 18:22, Maroon with a view said:

The way the coward doubles down on George's neck when he says he can't breathe and then the look of total contempt on his face when looking into the camera sends a cold shiver down my spine. 

Murder in broad daylight. 

terrible , shocking .

2 hours ago, Ritchez said:

Antifa up to their old tricks.

Utter, utter scum.

image.png.401f675e1714ddbd7702c5ecae30739a.png

But please, tell us more about how disorganised Anti Fascists with no central org are up to "old" tricks somehow.

No excuse for the looting and arson tbh. Just a bunch of opportunist young thugs out for some kicks and free gear.