Riots in Minneapolis

annushorribilis III

annushorribilis III

All going crazy in Minneapolis as riots start.  A  crowd broke into the gates of the car pound and starting wrecking everything in site. and then it gets worse. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=minneapolis+riots&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3dminneapolis%2briots%26FORM%3dHDRSC3&view=detail&mid=CFB8E79855BBC39F5F22CFB8E79855BBC39F5F22&rvsmid=1B5A3A9488E6852B95EF1B5A3A9488E6852B95EF&FORM=VDQVAP 

Edited by annushorribilis III

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Justin Z

• Sharpie

• The Internet

• luckyBatistuta

joondalupjambo

Assault on Precinct 13 the 1976 John Carpenter original.  He knew.  Classic.

Institutionalised racism is rampant in America 

There's a video that's been doing the rounds recently of a white woman calling the police on a black man, simply because he told her that her dog needs to be on a lead.

She falsely heightened her voice to sound like she was in imminent danger. She could have gotten him killed & she knew it. Beyond disgusting.

He left before the police arrived, but you do wonder what they might have done to him, just because he is black.

Thankfully she has lost her job as VP at an investment firm. She will never get employed again as her name is all over the internet. Her dog also got taken away from her. Utter scum. 

Салатные палочки
2 minutes ago, Ritchez said:

There's a video that's been doing the rounds recently of a white woman calling the police on a black man, simply because he told her that her dog needs to be on a lead.

She falsely heightened her voice to sound like she was in imminent danger. She could have gotten him killed & she knew it. Beyond disgusting.

He left before the police arrived, but you do wonder what they might have done to him, just because he is black.

Thankfully she has lost her job as VP at an investment firm. She will never get employed again as her name is all over the internet. Her dog also got taken away from her. Utter scum. 

I watched one recently on facebook where a white woman called the police because a black man had two white kids in the back of his car. Turns out he was some sort of childminder or something who runs a unit and is also a teacher. 

In fact here's the news item on it. 

1 hour ago, Ritchez said:

WTF. There is something really sinister about the way she keeps repeating to the Police that he is an African American man. 

Dagger Is Back

No surprise at all. Watched that video yesterday and it's horrific. It was never acceptable but in 2020? So sad

The Internet
15 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

WTF. There is something really sinister about the way she keeps repeating to the Police that he is an African American man. 

She knew the likely outcome of a white woman reporting a black man 'assaulting' her to the police. It's a threat. 

**** America. Rancid country with no redeeming features. 

luckyBatistuta

How long did he keep saying he couldn’t breathe, that’s 100% murder. I go to America most years for a holiday, but don’t think I’d want to live there, it’s a broken country.

Der Kaiser

Also watched that video. Murder. Clear as day.

He's handcuffed and lying on the ground with the cops knee in his neck until he passes out.

And that arrogant prick of another cop just watches his colleague do it.

Shooter McGavin

Not surprised theres riots, and don’t blame them either. It was a legitimate murder. 

Edited by Shooter McGavin

annushorribilis III

There's a video doing the rounds on Twitter of him being led away in cuffs from right under some CCTV cameras. He's not resisting arrest, 

Shooter McGavin
4 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

There's a video doing the rounds on Twitter of him being led away in cuffs from right under some CCTV cameras. He's not resisting arrest, 

Yep, seemed like he was in cuffs for most of the situation, which makes me wonder why he was laying on the ground being choked, with a number of police officers on the scene? As blatant a murder as you’ll ever see from a police officer.

I have just watched an extended program on this matter. The man was arrested on the sidewalk well away from the far side of the parked police vehicle. He did speak to the arresting officer and could have been questioning his arrest, he did however get handcuffed behind the back easily and put up no resistance. The next video shows him on his face with a police officers knee on his neck, why he was even on that side of the vehicle when the obvious to me action would have been to put him in the back of the vehicle from the sidewalk. I am sure I heard reported that there were four police officers  on scene. The man could on the video clearly be heard saying I can't breathe this was no deterrent to the officer who could clearly be seen exerting more pressure on the victim. The four officers have been fired, what I cannot believe is that the one who administered the excessive force to the now deceased man based on the evidence was not immediately incarcerated and held in custody pending investigation.

I have 36 years service as a policeman behind me,  I was not unusual in fact very normal, I was never investigated for use of excessive force, was never charged with use of excessive force and certainly would never have watched or participated in the scene as shown. On the contrary if need be would have taken physical action to stop it.  There are many reasons for these type of things. A lack of discipline from the top down, a feeling that I can do what i like the bosses don't care , and probably one of the earliest and most serious a weakness in the recruiting system where candidates are not sufficiently scrutinised in all ways including the now prevalent lie detector tests, and physchological  examinations. Of course the highest quality training is also a requirement.

Rick James
13 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I watched one recently on facebook where a white woman called the police because a black man had two white kids in the back of his car. Turns out he was some sort of childminder or something who runs a unit and is also a teacher. 

In fact here's the news item on it. 

There's being vigilant, and then there's this. Would the same person report a white man with 2 black kids in the back? Probably not.

It's sad how there's still a massive place in American society for racism. Not even as blatant as apartheid either, black people are led to believe they are considered equal in many walks of life until a cop with a truncheon shows them otherwise.

Not my place to really speak, but I can safely say that I don't think the UK has anywhere near these kinds of problems. I think a lack of education coupled with ignorance leads to some unsavoury views from people, but I don't believe there's a huge racism problem.

There's a storyline been going on in Eastenders for a while now where one of the young characters, a black teen, is getting constantly caught up and frisked by police 'because he is black' and 'how he looks'. I know its just a TV show, but there is obviously truths behind the storyline, although in the UK, while I agree the Police do target people on how they look, its more a perception of class than colour here. A shifty looking white man in a tracksuit has just as much of a chance of being collared as a shifty looking black man in a tracksuit. 

All my opinions which could be totally wrong, but this is how I interpret British society today.

The Internet

Sad thing is I do have a bit of sympathy, not in this case obviously but sometimes, for police in America. Sure loads of them are just goons on a power trip but there will be decent ones trying to make a difference, but when you're faced with policing a population who are legally allowed, nay encouraged, to carry guns around you're going to be twitchy aren't you? Utterly broken system. Country needs razed and rebuilt from scratch. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

First time I went back to the US (Ontario in Los Angeles 1998), I stayed at my dad's cousin's house (mainly white, suburban area). House nextdoor was up for sale and a black family came to view it. My dad's cousin said they probably had no intentionbof buying it, but we're just winding up the residents who'd prefer a white family. Right enough, all the curtains were twitching and folk uptight at the prospect of African American neighbours.

highlandjambo3

I’ve been to America a few times when passing through to places like new Zealand or onto Central America, had no choice as there was no direct route to my destination.  Also had the misfortune to have to stay overnight for the connecting flight, Miami was one place....... what a shitter..........I would not take a free holiday in America.....gen I wouldn’t.

indianajones
43 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I’ve been to America a few times when passing through to places like new Zealand or onto Central America, had no choice as there was no direct route to my destination.  Also had the misfortune to have to stay overnight for the connecting flight, Miami was one place....... what a shitter..........I would not take a free holiday in America.....gen I wouldn’t.

There are a lot of fantastic places to visit in America. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
46 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I loved Miami, but each to their own. Although my first experience, getting into the taxi at the airport, as we pulled away another taxi driver chased our taxi down the road, trying to kick the door and threatening to shoot our driver.

Our driver had pulled alongside him and said something in Spanish, which set the other guy off.

Once we got away ,our driver started telling us that he had Britain's greatest actor in his taxi a couple of earlier. Turned out it was Danny La Rue. :lol:

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Weakened Offender
15 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

She knew the likely outcome of a white woman reporting a black man 'assaulting' her to the police. It's a threat. 

This is where I am on America. An affront to civilisation. War hungry degenerates. 

America is absolutely ****ed. Horror show of a country, rampant with racism, poverty, violence and a horrendous health system.

Add the amount of absolute idiots, religion and Donald Trump as President and it would take an obscene amount of money to get me to live there. No thanks.

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

America is absolutely ****ed. Horror show of a country, rampant with racism, poverty, violence and a horrendous health system.

Add the amount of absolute idiots, religion and Donald Trump as President and it would take an obscene amount of money to get me to live there. No thanks.

I had the chance to go to Massachusetts to live and work, I didn't go, I used to regret the decision, not as much these days.

So here we are on a Scottish football team forum, an eclectic group who have given unanimous support to the accusation and probable charges of murder against at least one of the four policemen. We are pretty well non racist, and to feel that in our opinion the actions by the police probably were totally racist.

This morning I get up brew the coffee and watch the news, I see Beirut in flames, cars burning, whole blocks of buildings razed to the ground, a new building construction totally destroyed, but wait, hold on its not Beirut its Minneapolis and this damage has been done by Americans as reprisal for the death of one American. I have watched the videos of the demonstrations, numerous races involved, primarily black with a high number of white . What was the motivation for these demonstrations, I thought a demand for Justice for the unwarranted death of a black man a cynic though would think in fact it has become an opportunity to damage and god forbid loot private property, owned by people who had nothing to do with the alleged murder. Instead of continuing the well supported cause of the demonstration it has been in my opinion the perfect situation for those who would to say look at that thats what we deal with all the time. These vendors of malicious mischief, theft, and extensive damage have taken the sacred memory of another black man murdered by a white policeman into a see what I mean situation.

alwaysthereinspirit
5 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

This is where I am on America. An affront to civilisation. War hungry degenerates. 

🤣

46 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

So here we are on a Scottish football team forum, an eclectic group who have given unanimous support to the accusation and probable charges of murder against at least one of the four policemen. We are pretty well non racist, and to feel that in our opinion the actions by the police probably were totally racist.

This morning I get up brew the coffee and watch the news, I see Beirut in flames, cars burning, whole blocks of buildings razed to the ground, a new building construction totally destroyed, but wait, hold on its not Beirut its Minneapolis and this damage has been done by Americans as reprisal for the death of one American. I have watched the videos of the demonstrations, numerous races involved, primarily black with a high number of white . What was the motivation for these demonstrations, I thought a demand for Justice for the unwarranted death of a black man a cynic though would think in fact it has become an opportunity to damage and god forbid loot private property, owned by people who had nothing to do with the alleged murder. Instead of continuing the well supported cause of the demonstration it has been in my opinion the perfect situation for those who would to say look at that thats what we deal with all the time. These vendors of malicious mischief, theft, and extensive damage have taken the sacred memory of another black man murdered by a white policeman into a see what I mean situation.

In the words of Martin Luther King, Jr., "A riot is the language of the unheard". And they have been unheard for literal centuries at this point.

People who want to maintain the status quo, unconcerned centrists, let them say whatever they want.

Take a look at all the context behind this officer. How much this system--not a broken system, but a system working exactly as intended to further white supremacy--has protected this man:

Image may contain: one or more people

23 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I watched the video of the murder yesterday. Make no mistake, it was murder. 

That poor man. Absolutely horrific and the guy holding the people back and doing nothing about his colleague makes him just as culpable. 

I'm not surprised there are riots.

Yeah, absolutely disgusting. 

12 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

In the words of Martin Luther King, Jr., "A riot is the language of the unheard". And they have been unheard for literal centuries at this point.

People who want to maintain the status quo, unconcerned centrists, let them say whatever they want.

Take a look at all the context behind this officer. How much this system--not a broken system, but a system working exactly as intended to further white supremacy--has protected this man:

Image may contain: one or more people

Yes I heard that  MLK quote on the news this morning, can understand the reasons for it, but I have a problem with the looting. To see the destruction this morning whole block of businesses, probably some small business owners that this could ruin if Covid hasn't already done that. I can see understand and don't totally condemn those who act out their frustrations at the misjustice of a white man of authority killing a black man but sadly we cannot prove that any of that will be the reason that a black man was not killed by a white police officer because the non killing will never be known.

I think that letter and the contents confirms my opinions about police management and their in some cases neglecting the most basic tenets of police management. The basis of police supervision that the enforcers of the law must themselves be the leading  observers  of said laws,rules and regulations.

Maple Leaf
20 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

6 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

5 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I hope that the cops who killed that man in Minneapolis are held to account for their actions. It's clear to anyone watching the video that the man's death was avoidable, and those responsible for his death need to face the consequences. Tragically, it happens all too often in the USA. Racism is a serious problem, and has been since America was a group of colonies. There is no easy or obvious solution.

Having said that, I have to say that I don't share the views of the posters I've quoted above. I lived in Maryland for a while and have visited the US countless times, probably over a hundred, for both business and personal reasons. While there are elements of truth in the above posts, we should be careful about over-generalisation.  America is a vast country with a large diverse population.  Anything you want to look for you'll find, both good and bad.  Donald Trump, with his divisive leadership style, is probably responsible for some of the current problems, but we should not condemn the whole population because of him.

If there is anything rancid in America, it's the current political leadership, and not just Trump.

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

Yes I heard that  MLK quote on the news this morning, can understand the reasons for it, but I have a problem with the looting. To see the destruction this morning whole block of businesses, probably some small business owners that this could ruin if Covid hasn't already done that. I can see understand and don't totally condemn those who act out their frustrations at the misjustice of a white man of authority killing a black man but sadly we cannot prove that any of that will be the reason that a black man was not killed by a white police officer because the non killing will never be known.

I certainly don't like the rioting viscerally either, and I am sad for those who don't deserve to be caught up in it. I have zero sympathy for large corporations having their locations looted, which is another trending topic I've seen.

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I think that letter and the contents confirms my opinions about police management and their in some cases neglecting the most basic tenets of police management. The basis of police supervision that the enforcers of the law must themselves be the leading  observers  of said laws,rules and regulations.

:spoton:

But in the US, police systems are by and large set up to keep order. This order includes putting white people at the top. Far down the list is anything about protecting and serving all members of the community equally, or promoting justice.

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

They're rioting because deep down they suspect/know they won't get justice. Also, that nothing will change and that such killings will continue. Rioting is not a correct course of action, imo, but I can see how it is borne out of pure frustration and anger.

19 minutes ago, redjambo said:

They're rioting because deep down they suspect/know they won't get justice. Also, that nothing will change and that such killings will continue. Rioting is not a correct course of action, imo, but I can see how it is borne out of pure frustration and anger.

Once again I will say I have every sympathy for the family and of course the victim of this brutal unjustified action, but having watched numerous similar incidents followed by riots and damage I have to think another type of action may be more positive. I can understand that ridding by action frustrations can be comforting but is not long lasting.

12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Anarchist twats hijacking the protest. It'll just give the Polis more power. 

Not according to this person, who was there. Quite the opposite. Very important context:

image.thumb.png.37b6267d7a2bc86489de8127e40e335b.png

Maroon with a view

The way the coward doubles down on George's neck when he says he can't breathe and then the look of total contempt on his face when looking into the camera sends a cold shiver down my spine. 

Murder in broad daylight. 

9 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Not according to this person, who was there. Quite the opposite. Very important context:

He said, she said. 

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

Did you go with Matthew last night to the demonstration? I wasn't with him so I cant really make a statement either way on if he's being totally truthful or not.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

He said, she said. 

And?

2 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Did you go with Matthew last night to the demonstration? I wasn't with him so I cant really make a statement either way on if he's being totally truthful or not.

I have no reason to doubt his credibility, do you? Didn't think so.

Nor did they need a President who during his campaign blatantly lied about the birth place of the first ever black President of the United State who done something Trump has never done, that is treat the office with respect  and dignity. His actions after  Charlottesville further projected his racist views, nonetheless his Republican cronies, defended supported and actually encourages his strange views. I do not wear blindfolds when discussing police matters, my first opinion is that most of those whom I have worked with and have met  are like myself. We have our opinions some good some bad, but have resisted the temptation to use our position and privilege to satisfy any need for satisfaction of our prejudice. I have read and viewed race riots for I really don't know how long, I still have to see what difference they have achieved, yesterdays happening just proof. Its a problem, possibly unsolvable, but like most problems you have to go inside first, as far as police are concerned local governments must be more astute in appointing their police leaders. Those appointed must have the fortitude to act and act strongly against potential or actual offenders. Being a leader is not a popularity test, its a test of respect for actions taken and  an acceptance and understanding of the fairness and justice of such. 

Just got up from my old persons afternoon nap, listened to the crap being spouted about further investigation etc. I may not have been properly awake but I am sure I heard that this officer had been the subject of something like seventeen complaints some still being  dealt with. I also earlier heard that there was departmental policy regarding neck holds that stated when the person being held had ceased their aggressive behaviour policy was to cease the neck restraint, at no time did the video show any such behaviour by the now deceased, and if there had in fact been some previous it was well over when he was lying handcuffed saying he could not breathe. As an officer in charge of a detachment, never mind a force if I had an officer with that type of disciplinary record I would  have got rid of him if for no other reason preservation of my own career safety. And believe me from three years in the Scots Guards and thirty six years as a police officer at all levels I could soon have figured out how todo it.

The other thing that distressed me to some extent an I admit there may have been some motivation to show only one side of the happenings, but it was film of black men and women climbing though the broken window of a TV store and coming out with in one case two tvs under his arm, women  also doing the same thing. By all means demonstrate  against the  heinous act, but don't by such selfish acts give the racists fodder to say see thats what they are like.

By sheer coincidence I saw this tonight. A rare serious moment on QI, you don’t need to watch the whole thing but the first 3’30” is genuinely astonishing in terms of America and it’s attitude towards crime. I’d also like to state I have no agenda against the country and have always enjoyed it on many visits. 

Edited by Tazio

7 hours ago, Justin Z said:

And?

I have no reason to doubt his credibility, do you? Didn't think so.

Did those shop owners deserve to have their business' wrecked. Would they now be within their rights to protect theirs with force, and so the circle of violence continues. 

Just now, ri Alban said:

Did those shop owners deserve to have their business' wrecked. Would they now be within their rights to protect theirs with force, and so the circle of violence continues. 

Nope, they sure didn't. This isn't rational.

Image may contain: 3 people, people sitting, text that says "Ο can excuse murderı, but I draw the line at looting Target You can excuse murder?!"

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Nope, they sure didn't. This isn't rational.

Image may contain: 3 people, people sitting, text that says "Ο can excuse murderı, but I draw the line at looting Target You can excuse murder?!"

I'm sure the Polis will be dealt with and the protest was legitimate. But folk like the wee white fascists I've seen give as much shits about the dead lad, as the Polis who did it. None. But hey, keep up the self-righteousness, with your preplanned responses. 

Personally, if some Polis killed my son, I would burn down Macdonalds, but hey, by all means, carry on the destruction. 

12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Personally, if some Polis killed my son, I would burn down Macdonalds, but hey, by all means, carry on the destruction. 

Target is like Primark, so they basically did.

This is a good bit of satire:

Protestors Criticized For Looting Businesses Without Forming Private Equity Firm First

“I understand that people are angry, but they shouldn’t just endanger businesses without even a thought to enriching themselves through leveraged buyouts and across-the-board terminations. It’s disgusting to put workers at risk by looting. You do it by chipping away at their health benefits and eventually laying them off. There’s a right way and wrong way to do this.”

Also

29 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

with your preplanned responses.

I resemble that. I'm quick on my feet. On the internet. :look: