famous quotes

milky_26

i'm putting together a round in a pub quiz to do with quotes. what quotes can people think of that will help. no tv or movie quotes.

A people who elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices. 

Seaside jambo

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food,and tyrannise their teachers 

Socrates 

true then as it is today 

could always use the old one 

Don’t eat yellow snow 

unknown 

Eureka! - Archimedes

Veni vidi vici - Julius Caesar

Bugger Bognor - George V

Carpe diem - Horace

Kiss me Hardy - Nelson

“The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable!” - Oscar Wilde

"If an injury has to be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Machiavelli

Note that particularly for very old quotes, it may be more of a generally-accepted attribution rather than a fact, so you're going to have phrase your quiz question accordingly.

The Real Maroonblood
42 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i'm putting together a round in a pub quiz to do with quotes. what quotes can people think of that will help. no tv or movie quotes.

There’s a website Brainy Quotes and that’ll give you anything you need.

'Foxhunting. The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable'. Oscar Wilde

22 minutes ago, kawasakijambo said:

Defeat is OK................Nelson Mandela's chiropodist.

:lol:

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

If you want a woman to keep a secret, whisper it up her arse. 

Billy Connolly

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

A people who elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices. 

George Orwell

The Natural Order

"Stop screaming Yoko, It's just a water pis................................"

John Lennon

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Kiss me Hardy - Nelson

I wouldn’t go with that one as there will be at least one team who argue it should be Kismet Hardy. 

I P Knightley

I used to run a quiz from time to time so have a few; depending on the audience, you could give a clue, such as, "Which sports person said..."

"His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see. Now you see me, now you don't" - Muhammed Ali. It's the continuation of 'floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee' not everyone knows it but some can work it out. Good for a quiz. 

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Bertie Einstein. 

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

"I never drink coffee at lunch. I find it keeps me awake in the afternoon?" - Ronald Reagan

"I have no further use for America. I wouldn't go back there if Jesus Christ was President." - Charlie Chaplin

"A week is a long time in politics"? - Harold Wilson

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one." - Brian Clough

What is the quotation on Mel Blanc's gravestone? "That's all, folks!"

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." - Ezekiel

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I wouldn’t go with that one as there will be at least one team who argue it should be Kismet Hardy. 

Or, "Kiss yer ain hardy, ya pervert!"

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I'd never heard of that.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/death-nelson

says: "At least three surviving eyewitness accounts declare that Nelson said "Kiss me Hardy" prior to his death. Surgeon William Beatty, Chaplain Alexander Scott and Purser Walter Burke all noted the moment of tenderness between Nelson and his flag captain."

and, regarding "kismet": "Contemporary historians argue that this explanation is a Victorian invention, since the earliest recorded use of the term 'Kismet' in the English language does not appear until after 1805."

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I'd never heard of that.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/death-nelson

says: "At least three surviving eyewitness accounts declare that Nelson said "Kiss me Hardy" prior to his death. Surgeon William Beatty, Chaplain Alexander Scott and Purser Walter Burke all noted the moment of tenderness between Nelson and his flag captain."

and, regarding "kismet": "Contemporary historians argue that this explanation is a Victorian invention, since the earliest recorded use of the term 'Kismet' in the English language does not appear until after 1805."

There endeth the argument. red knows his stuff.

4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

There endeth the argument. red knows his stuff.

Aye, but on the other hand there is no wrath quite like that created by a pub quiz team who think that they have been wronged in some way. :)

Edited by redjambo

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!" - General John Sedgwick https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sedgwick

"It's not the men in my life that count, it's the life in my men." - Mae West

"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition." - Marilyn Monroe

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky

"Nobody beat Vitas Gerulaitis seventeen times in a row." - Vitas Gerulaitis

"The harder I practice, the luckier I get." - Gary Player 

If you believe that loosing puts the pressure on the team that wins all the time ,okay keep losing......

Paula Sergio.

Watch that tree babe, you can't ski babe. Cher

:leveinproblem:

Edited by ri Alban

crunchy frog

Mark Twain is the daddy of quotes in my opinion.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Some people on this website could benefit from his wisdom, especially the quote above.

"You could peel an orange in your pocket, whilst wearing a pair of boxing gloves, ya miserable auld prick" Bob Cratchet.

"I'm a Hearts man, son." - Dave Mackay

"Blood doesn't show on a maroon jersey." - John Cumming

been here before
2 hours ago, Boof said:

Thats not a quote from John Cumming. It was said about him playing on with a head wound.

Edited by been here before

6 minutes ago, been here before said:

Thats not a quote from John Cumming. It was said about him playing on with a head wound.

Every day's a school day. But not tomorrow - day off :D 

Better change John Cumming to Albert Mackie, then...unless I've got that wrong too.

4 minutes ago, Boof said:

Every day's a school day. But not tomorrow - day off :D 

Better change John Cumming to Albert Mackie, then...unless I've got that wrong too.

There's a thread about it here: https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/127270-the-origin-of-blood-doesnt-show-on-a-maroon-jersey/

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that Albert first came up with the expression either (unless he claims somewhere that he did, I've no idea).

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

“There’s just no way Malmo will hammer us at home” - Pat Fenlon.

:pleasing:

been here before
5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

“There’s just no way Malmo will hammer us at home” - Pat Fenlon.

JS22287709.thumb.jpg.553d624504fc4a527358f55f8fcc3873.jpg

:facepalm:

15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that Albert first came up with the expression either (unless he claims somewhere that he did, I've no idea).

It was seeing it unattributed as a quote in the book that led me to deduce it was his words. Perhaps it is one of those unknowns?

Anyway - back on topic...

https://pixlparade.com/33-inspiring-quotes-from-historys-worst-people/?fbclid=IwAR0t5vp-wNSuVI_YZ0M0Uh9PYE1yLjDu0USfE9BbNhP7qKVM4pShOCloyUw

1. Adolf Hitler: “Words build bridges into unexplored regions.”
  2. Attila the Hun: “It takes less courage to criticize the decisions of others than to stand by your own.”
  3. Augusto Pinochet: “I’m not a dictator; it’s just that I have a grumpy face.”
  4. Ayn Rand: “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.”
  5. Bashar Al-Assad: “The captain doesn’t think about death or life; he thinks about saving his ship.”
  6. Benito Mussolini: “Better to live a day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep.”
  7. Caligula: “I don’t care if they respect me, so long as they fear me.”
  8. Charles Manson: “The real strong have no need to prove it to the phonies.”
  9. Fidel Castro: “I find capitalism repugnant. It is filthy, it is gross, and it is alienating … because it causes war, hypocrisy, and competition.”
  10. Genghis Khan: “Conquering the world on horseback is easy. It’s dismounting and governing that’s hard.”
  11. Heinrich Himmler: “The one thing that matters is that we stand firm.”
  12. Ide Amin: “You cannot run faster than a bullet.”
  13. Jim Jones: “A man’s gotta make at least one bet a day, else he could be walking around lucky and never know it.”
  14. John Wilkes Booth: “I love justice more than I do a country that disowns it; more than fame and wealth; more … than a happy home.”
  15. Joseph Goebbels: “Faith moves mountains, but only knowledge moves them to the right place.”
  16. Joseph Stalin: “I believe in one thing only: the power of human will.”
  17. Kim Il-Sung: “The oppressed peoples can liberate themselves only through struggle. This is a simple and clear truth confirmed by history.”
  18. Kim Jong-Il: “Early training means more than anything.”
  19. L. Ron Hubbard: “Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow.”
  20. Leonid Ilyich Brezhnev: “There is nothing more practical than a good theory.”
  21. Mao Zedong: “If you want to know the taste of a pear, you must change the pear by eating it yourself. If you want to know the theory and methods of revolution, you must take part in revolution. All genuine knowledge originates in direct experience.”
  22. Maximilien Robespierre: “Any law that violates the inalienable rights of man is essentially unjust and tyrannical. It is not a law at all.”
  23. Napoleon Bonaparte: “Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.”
  24. O.J. Simpson: “You’ve got to stand up. You can’t let people run over you.”
  25. Oliver Cromwell: “He who stops being better stops being good.”
  26. Osama bin Laden: “I have sworn to only live free. Even if I find bitter the taste of death, I don’t want to die humiliated or deceived.”
  27. Pol Pot: “I want you to know that everything I did, I did for my country.”
  28. Robert Mugabe: “Don’t drink at all. Don’t smoke. You must exercise and eat vegetables and fruit.”
  29. Saddam Hussein: “Politics is when you say you are going to do one thing while intending to do another. Then you do neither what you said nor intended.”
  30. Slobodan Milosevic: “Equality means nothing unless incorporated into the institutions.”
  31. Ted Bundy: “Countless millions who have walked this earth before us have gone through this, so this is just an experience we all share.”
  32. Ted Kaczynski: “Never lose hope, be persistent and stubborn and never give up. There are many instances in history where apparent losers suddenly turn out to be winners unexpectedly, so you should never conclude all hope is lost.”
  33. Vladimir Lenin: “A lie told often enough becomes the truth.”

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

On 28/05/2020 at 12:46, Boof said:

"I'm a Hearts man, son." - Dave Mackay

JC never actually said that. It was a newspaper quote describing his fearless performance in the 1956 cup final. Glasgow Herald I think.

On 28/05/2020 at 12:46, Boof said: