Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 08/06/2020 at 12:45, Marty Byrde said:

It's also where he'll likely never play a first team game. Alphonso Davies and David Alaba are lightyears ahead of Hickey.

He has to choose well here, there has to be a middle step. Robertson went to Hull for example.

That's my thoughts on it too. People keep saying he'll rot on the bench at Celtic as though he'll be getting game time at Chelsea, Bayern Munich or AC Milan 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

He would learn a lot down there too, great youth set up and are now bringing players like Gilmour etc into the first team. They’re not that great at LB either so might get a chance before he knows it.

I think that actually might work against him in this instance as they'll make a big signing who'll be first choice with Alonso as back up and Azpilicueta also able to play there. 

I know he's a couple of years older but the difference between Hickey and Reece James is staggering. He'd have a lot of work to do in a couple of years to even just get a look in.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I think that actually might work against him in this instance as they'll make a big signing who'll be first choice with Alonso as back up and Azpilicueta also able to play there. 

I know he's a couple of years older but the difference between Hickey and Reece James is staggering. He'd have a lot of work to do in a couple of years to even just get a look in.

I think they might sell Alonso if they bring in Ben Chilwell who seems to be their first choice. Alonzo would surely not sit around as back up and lose his spot in the national squad. Who knows he’s contracted until 2023. Hickey has time but would probably have more chance of playing for them than Celtic, who hardly play any youngsters these days. He would progress more at better clubs I think is the point.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

We really need to think about the above list of nothingness before advising a young Hickey that a move to Celtic would ruin him. Hearts will probably make more money papping him back to Celtic with a 20% sell on clause than 'developing' him ourselves. 

Some stoating comments on this beaut. 

Yes but he’s not staying so the choice is sell him to the highest bidder with a sell on clause, which is more likely to be activated if he’s sold on from Milan/Chelsea/Munich after he learns the game, rather than sitting on the bench at Celtic then leaving.

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think they might sell Alonso if they bring in Ben Chilwell who seems to be their first choice. Alonzo would surely not sit around as back up and lose his spot in the national squad. Who knows he’s contracted until 2023. Hickey has time but would probably have more chance of playing for them than Celtic, who hardly play any youngsters these days. He would progress more at better clubs I think is the point.

Yeh possibly, I think they'll keep him unless he pushes for a move (Alonso). He'll still be their preferred choice when playing 3 centre backs I'd think. Lampard has certainly shown he's not afraid to throw the youth in if they're good enough.

Totally agree, I don't think Celtic is a good move. I just think compared to the youth players these big clubs have he's a bit behind them, certainly in terms of athleticism. A stepping stone move would be best for him I think, but that's just my opinion and can certainly see the appeal from a lifestyle perspective of joining a big club!

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh possibly, I think they'll keep him unless he pushes for a move (Alonso). He'll still be their preferred choice when playing 3 centre backs I'd think. Lampard has certainly shown he's not afraid to throw the youth in if they're good enough.

Totally agree, I don't think Celtic is a good move. I just think compared to the youth players these big clubs have he's a bit behind them, certainly in terms of athleticism. A stepping stone move would be best for him I think, but that's just my opinion and can certainly see the appeal from a lifestyle perspective of joining a big club!

Yeah he’s got a lot to learn, looks a bit like Bambi sometimes. I personally think a big team would teach him how to defend properly at both LB and RB, which obviously add to his value. If you look at Frimpong at Celtic, who City let go, he’s miles behind him in an attacking sense. A move to a smaller club might help him progress like Andy Robertson might see us get a better sell on fee than going to a big club and failing.

A_A wehatethehibs

To be fair his da is a sellick man so he probably considers Celtic to be an equivalent move to AC Milan, sure they're 6 European Cups ahead but Celtic are looking to cut that gap to 5 next season if they can get past Cluj, Utrecht or AEK or whatever in the qualifying round

Guest ToqueJambo
14 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Its interesting to read the experiences of Scottish players who have embraced themselves in playing a different culture. 

Liam Henderson is loving it in Italy, he has learnt the language, loves the culture. He has adjusted to it that he has now played for 3 Italian clubs, mainly in Serie B but has some Serie A apperances. And certainly from any interview's I have read or seen of him he is having a great time.

Ryan Gauld adapted to living in Portugal and speaks fluent Portuguese. He even talked about taking up duel nationality. After his time at Sporting came to an end he could have gone back to the UK but stayed in Portugal to prove himself, went down to the second tier where he was the best player in his team and got them promoted. 

Oliver Burke had a high profile move to Germany which did not work out (though that seems to be down to a failure in how British football teaches the mental and tactical side of football than because he couldn't adapt) and now is playing in La Liga. So another Scottish player happy to play and learn in other countries (and is still only 23.)

Liam Morrison moved to Bayern last summer and seems to be enjoying out there. 

There are others who may have not gone the biggest countries but still had a fantastic time in another country. An example of this is ex-Rangers youth player Steven Lennon who went to Iceland 9 years ago and apart from a stint in Norway has been there ever since. There is a video with him on BBC sport website at the moment.

So there is plenty of Scottish players taking the chance and have a grand time. Certainly feels like things are slowly changing. Even ones that haven't worked out like David Bates at Hamburg, he might not keep there but there will be other opportunities if they take it.

A notable thing about all these players is none of them are even established in the Scottish squad let alone the team. Some of them have done very well abroad and I would have thought their experiences would be a plus when it comes to playing international football. 

It doesn't help that young players tend to get ignored unless they play for or came up through the ranks at the OF, or do well in England. Even then, it can take too long to break through while in England if you're not an ex-OF player (Ryan Fraser for example), like it can take too long if you play for Hearts instead of Rangers or Celtic. Paul Lambert is one of the best examples of what can happen when a young player - not even an especially highly rated one at the time - takes the plunge abroad. And even he didn't become a Scotland regular until he moved from Dortmund to Celtic. Allan Johnston was ignored while at Hearts and Rennes.

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

To be fair his da is a sellick man so he probably considers Celtic to be an equivalent move to AC Milan, sure they're 6 European Cups ahead but Celtic are looking to cut that gap to 5 next season if they can get past Cluj, Utrecht or AEK or whatever in the qualifying round

Hopefully the rumours of no qualifying rounds are true 😃

21 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

A notable thing about all these players is none of them are even established in the Scottish squad let alone the team. Some of them have done very well abroad and I would have thought their experiences would be a plus when it comes to playing international football. 

It doesn't help that young players tend to get ignored unless they play for or came up through the ranks at the OF, or do well in England. Even then, it can take too long to break through while in England if you're not an ex-OF player (Ryan Fraser for example), like it can take too long if you play for Hearts instead of Rangers or Celtic. Paul Lambert is one of the best examples of what can happen when a young player - not even an especially highly rated one at the time - takes the plunge abroad. And even he didn't become a Scotland regular until he moved from Dortmund to Celtic. Allan Johnston was ignored while at Hearts and Rennes.

Tosh McKinlay is the most obvious one I remember, it’s not limited to being young or playing abroad. Just if you don’t play for an ugly sister. 

Edited by tamflogel

Seeing on Twitter there's a rumour Lazio bid £89k for him. 

Despite the offer being disgustingly low, it might actually be worth accepting with a 50% sell on fee. It'll stop Celtic getting anything and we'll be looking at millions in the future.

Edited by Sertse

It's a hard decision if any of the European teams that are mentioned were genuinely interested. If you play first team for Hearts but are a reserve for Celtic, other than enhanced salary it would seem like a step back, however if he plays or works his way into the first team quickly then it's a big step closer to a move to England at some level a la van Dijk, Armstrong or Wanyma. However if say Bayern were interested, he would be much further from the first team than he would at Celtic but it wouldn't feel like as big a step down from where he is now as he would be entering the development system of a super club with the opportunities that brings such as world class coaching, and excellent loan possibilities. If it works out there you are either progressing to the first team a champions league contender, leaving with a reputation that secures you a move to a non champions league contender but still a big club or return a more mature and well rounded player due to coaching that he couldn't dream of getting in Scotland. Of course if it doesn't work out then folk would argue that he would have been as well staying at Hearts and getting more first team experience. There is no correct path for this. The only thing I would say is that even at 16 he played with a confidence and assuredness that makes me hopeful that he would flourish in the competitive environment he would face at a club like Bayern. 

Glamorgan Jambo

For all the chat about his dad being a Selleck

man (which I don’t doubt) that’ll be the same dad that let him leave them and join Hearts in order to get a clearer path to first team football. Far from certain where he’ll end up.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Surely if Hickey had an opportunity to develop in the Bayern reserve /B team it would be a better career move than going to Parkhead and playing in the SPFHELL as he could always return to Scotland any time it would be so sad if he passed up a lifetime opperchanceity that may not ever present itself again 

Good luck to the young man, after watching the Paul Lambert interview with Si Ferry and the career he's had, if Hickey doesn't take the chance he could regret his decision for the rest of his football career 

Guest ToqueJambo
46 minutes ago, Still Tynie said:

Surely if Hickey had an opportunity to develop in the Bayern reserve /B team it would be a better career move than going to Parkhead and playing in the SPFHELL as he could always return to Scotland any time it would be so sad if he passed up a lifetime opperchanceity that may not ever present itself again 

Good luck to the young man, after watching the Paul Lambert interview with Si Ferry and the career he's had, if Hickey doesn't take the chance he could regret his decision for the rest of his football career 

I'm sure if Bayern's interest is genuine they can connect Hickey to Alphonso Davies for a quick chat on what it's like to join Bayern as a young player from a relatively poor league. Six games with their B Team and all of a sudden he's playing in the CL.

invernessjt

I'd love to see Hickey go to lazio but I'd hope we'd get a good bit more than €100,000. Plenty interest about Hickey on the Lazio twitter pages.

Greedy Jambo

Getting Hickey to sign a new deal would show a statement of intent and build up the fan support. 

What are the chances? 

3 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Getting Hickey to sign a new deal would show a statement of intent and build up the fan support. 

What are the chances? 

Zero

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Zero

That's what i thought. 

I just wish they'd sort this reconstruction/ legal shit out so we can go back to moaning about our shite tactics and crap players again. 

9 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Just noticed Southampton interested while reading about Hendo signing a 2 year deal.

I think Southampton would be the perfect club to sell him to. Hopefully with a decent sell on clause. Southampton have a decent record of developing youngsters and selling them on for a lot of money. 

In an ideal world he would stay another couple of years and develop with us, and then sell him on. Although that doesn't look likely to happen. 

The club should be doing some of the leg work here. I think its doubtful he'll sign an extension, so lets try and drum up some interest in him before having to sell him West (or lose him for virtually nothing). 

Chelsea or Southamption could be a good move for him. Lampard seems committed to the kids at the moment which is encouraging.

4 hours ago, kjc2006 said:

I think Southampton would be the perfect club to sell him to. Hopefully with a decent sell on clause. Southampton have a decent record of developing youngsters and selling them on for a lot of money. 

In an ideal world he would stay another couple of years and develop with us, and then sell him on. Although that doesn't look likely to happen. 

A 500k plus 30% sellon to a club like Southampton would be OK.

You'd hope to get more up front for a player but he holds the cards here and has the Celtic thing over us on 2 counts (their own 30% stake and the fact he can sit it out and head there in a year)

Not saying Aaron is holding us to ransom or that, but these are the facts these days with kids of his age. It's so hard to maximise their value if they break early and are still on their first contract.

9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

You'd hope to get more up front for a player but he holds the cards here and has the Celtic thing over us on 2 counts (their own 30% stake and the fact he can sit it out and head there in a year)

Not saying Aaron is holding us to ransom or that, but these are the facts these days with kids of his age. It's so hard to maximise their value if they break early and are still on their first contract.

It was interesting to hear Euan Henderson speak about him when he signed his new deal. Wanting him to stay but saying Hickey isn’t giving anything away 

Cash value for a transfer up front isn’t going to be as much as what some people will have you believe in my view 

Still think clubs will see it as an opportunity to get him on the cheap. The most important thing that we do here is get on a future sell on clause and that’s if he really wants to leave. He has potential - no question. 

I hope he stays. Still think he would be best served playing another few years with us, whether that be a loan back arrangement, or resigning another deal

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

I reckon that will be thereabouts what we would accept. Probably a bit less. 

No ones going to pay millions for a 17 yr old, with one year left on his contract, playing for the team that finished 12th in the SPFL. That's just how it is. 

It will be the sell on fee that we are looking to maximise on, not the transfer fee. 

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

No ones going to pay millions for a 17 yr old, with one year left on his contract, playing for the team that finished 12th in the SPFL. That's just how it is. 

It will be the sell on fee that we are looking to maximise on, not the transfer fee. 

They will pay more as hes worth 10 times that instantly down there

47 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

They will pay more as hes worth 10 times that instantly down there

They don't have to mate. We need to sell him this summer or lose him for a training fee next year. These clubs know that. 

Guest ToqueJambo

One way Celtic - as a supposedly left-leaning "more than a club" - can help redistribute wealth without making it look like donations is by offering fair value for the best young Scottish players produced by their fellow clubs. It's disgusting the lengths they and Rangers go to not to do that.

They basically act like the 1% who hoard all the world's money and do everything they can to avoid giving any of it back.

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

It was interesting to hear Euan Henderson speak about him when he signed his new deal. Wanting him to stay but saying Hickey isn’t giving anything away 

Cash value for a transfer up front isn’t going to be as much as what some people will have you believe in my view 

Still think clubs will see it as an opportunity to get him on the cheap. The most important thing that we do here is get on a future sell on clause and that’s if he really wants to leave. He has potential - no question. 

I hope he stays. Still think he would be best served playing another few years with us, whether that be a loan back arrangement, or resigning another deal

If Hearts haven't yet, then perhaps making a first team wage offer to him would be the way to go. 

We talk about players as 'if they're good enough, they're old enough'. Well, put our money where our mouth is. 

I hope we've not made a shan offer of effectively still youngster wages. He's keeping Aidy White and Ben Garuccio out of the team and both players are seasoned pro's! He's adding more value to the team than both of them. I don't think its unreasonable to offer him good wages because its reflected in his ability. 

I realise some may take the view that its a slippery slope but if we're pursuing youth development, it can't be a case of bringing them into the first team and punting them because we're unwilling to offer decent wages. Yes, there is a limit, but that limit is what we're paying the likes of Souttar, Clare, Walker. Hickey has earned parity of wages as far as I'm concerned and I'd be very disappointed if the club are unwilling to recognise that because of some ill conceived view on age being a barrier to good wages. 

Every signing is a gamble but Hickey has shown everything you can ask for and if he was receptive to that sort of deal then its a move worth making IMO. It protects the club in the short term and gives him continued first team football and when he does feel he's physically and mentally ready to make that move then Hearts can help facilitate a deal that works for all. 

Edited by OTT

Humblerogue

What is the point investing money and years of work in an academy, when they perpetually leave for peanuts?

6 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I'd normally agree, but you've just got to look at the quality and number of his potential suitors to suggest that someone just might bite.

Sell on fee is the key here for us making a decent wedge though

I'm sure Hearts will have placed a value on him, below which we will not sell.  My pick is it will be £1m.  If these clubs reported to be interested are in fact interested, we'll get a lot more than that.

5 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

I'd normally agree, but you've just got to look at the quality and number of his potential suitors to suggest that someone just might bite.

Sell on fee is the key here for us making a decent wedge though

Maybe, but if 500k is the highest bid, there's not much we can do about it, we've got to sell this summer, unless of course, he signs a new contract. Then we're talking megabucks if anyone wants him. 

You have to remember though, these big clubs are scouting laddies from Quito to Tokyo, there's probably 10 laddies of Hickeys level at 17 yr old in his position they have their eyes on. The money has to be right for them too, as they put a lot of investment into having these kids at their Academies. 

Personally, i'd take anything over 400k plus a good sell on fee, 20% minimum. I would hope we wouldn't stand in the way of one of our lads getting the chance to go to a Bayern Munich or AC Milan tbh. 

It's good for us too. When we scout a good youngster and his options are us, the OF and English clubs, we just need to point to Aaron Hickeys picture on the wall and say, sign for us, you play first team and if you work hard you could end up at a massive club like him. 

I think we need to be a bit more savvy in the future when we get a good youngster to carefully put him into the first team so we can keep their feet on the ground and get them tied down on longer contracts so we can receive bigger money. 

If Aaron was 20 and was a wee bit better than what he is now with 2-3 years on his contract, we'd be talking 3-4million for him. 

If we get say £500k, then Celtic are due 30% of that so we would really only get £350k.

Yes a future 30% sell on clause would be great, but £350k is not a great fee.

Hopefully we can get the buyer to pay close to £1million & also 30% sell on.

Unknown user

I'm pretty sure Celtic will be entitled to 30% of any sell on fee we get, but I don't know if that includes a share of our development fees too

On 09/06/2020 at 13:35, Pasquale for King said:

Yes but he’s not staying so the choice is sell him to the highest bidder with a sell on clause, which is more likely to be activated if he’s sold on from Milan/Chelsea/Munich after he learns the game, rather than sitting on the bench at Celtic then leaving.

Probably more chance of us making money if he goes the Celtic route

10 hours ago, jamborambo said:

If we get say £500k, then Celtic are due 30% of that so we would really only get £350k.

Yes a future 30% sell on clause would be great, but £350k is not a great fee.

Hopefully we can get the buyer to pay close to £1million & also 30% sell on.

Septic have already said they’d waive the sell on clause if we sell him back to them. I’m not sure if that was the case, how we might be able to insert a sell on clause into the deal with them 

11 hours ago, OTT said:

If Hearts haven't yet, then perhaps making a first team wage offer to him would be the way to go. 

We talk about players as 'if they're good enough, they're old enough'. Well, put our money where our mouth is. 

I hope we've not made a shan offer of effectively still youngster wages. He's keeping Aidy White and Ben Garuccio out of the team and both players are seasoned pro's! He's adding more value to the team than both of them. I don't think its unreasonable to offer him good wages because its reflected in his ability. 

I realise some may take the view that its a slippery slope but if we're pursuing youth development, it can't be a case of bringing them into the first team and punting them because we're unwilling to offer decent wages. Yes, there is a limit, but that limit is what we're paying the likes of Souttar, Clare, Walker. Hickey has earned parity of wages as far as I'm concerned and I'd be very disappointed if the club are unwilling to recognise that because of some ill conceived view on age being a barrier to good wages. 

Every signing is a gamble but Hickey has shown everything you can ask for and if he was receptive to that sort of deal then its a move worth making IMO. It protects the club in the short term and gives him continued first team football and when he does feel he's physically and mentally ready to make that move then Hearts can help facilitate a deal that works for all. 

100% mate. Absolutely bang on.

Reason I am saying this is that it has been suggested that his salary is on the low side and for a player of his obvious talent 

As much as I understand the need for wage structures there always has to be exceptions, and if ever we had a situation like this I would definitely class Hickey in this bracket 

Just now, Saughton Jambo said:

Septic have already said they’d waive the sell on clause if we sell him back to them. I’m not sure if that was the case, how we might be able to insert a sell on clause into the deal with them 

I don’t think it’s a case of Septic waiving the Sell on clause, as if he goes back to them, it doesn’t apply anyway

I am sure I read this somewhere. Could be wrong. 

Just now, Hearts1975 said:

100% mate. Absolutely bang on.

Reason I am saying this is that it has been suggested that his salary is on the low side and for a player of his obvious talent 

As much as I understand the need for wage structures there always has to be exceptions, and if ever we had a situation like this I would definitely class Hickey in this bracket 

Rumoured to be on £500pw with and Improved offer of an additional £250 to sign an extended contract by our former manager. Hickey won’t be signing any extended contract here and not for any amount of money. Needs sold whilst his stock is still high. He’ll be back along the M8 before a ball is kicked in earnest this season imo 

1 minute ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Rumoured to be on £500pw with and Improved offer of an additional £250 to sign an extended contract by our former manager. Hickey won’t be signing any extended contract here and not for any amount of money. Needs sold whilst his stock is still high. He’ll be back along the M8 before a ball is kicked in earnest this season imo 

Sounds like you have some detail and insight on this.

Your suggesting that you don’t think there is anything further that we can do ?

Disappointing if this is the case. 

I was thinking when you mentioned the figures above that he may have initially been insulted, but with CL away if we made him another offer of higher value, he could potentially have reconsidered 

I know that there is obvious allure for him heading along the m8 - just hoped we could evade this in all honesty 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Homme said:

Probably more chance of us making money if he goes the Celtic route

How do you work that out? For a start they will put in the lowest offer (like they did with McGinn). They are less likely to give us a sell on clause too. I think he’s more likely to progress at a better club than Celtic and be sold on. He could do a Tierney of course.

Pasquale for King
On 09/06/2020 at 20:27, Glamorgan Jambo said:

For all the chat about his dad being a Selleck

man (which I don’t doubt) that’ll be the same dad that let him leave them and join Hearts in order to get a clearer path to first team football. Far from certain where he’ll end up.

I’m not sure if he left as opposed to being released as a laddie that wasn’t deemed good enough to be a central midfielder, it was Hearts youth coaches who turned him into a LB.

Famous 1874
4 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

We only offered him an additional 250 quid a week??

Shanghai Hearts
19 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

We only offered him an additional 250 quid a week??

I heard Celtic have been in three times already, big Celtic fan also, as previously stated. If that all we are offering based on solid performances as a young player, you can imagine the outcome. Selling him looks like the only option, as part of our rebuild, unless we offer significantly more and a set price clause for him to move, if he continues to progress.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

How do you work that out? For a start they will put in the lowest offer (like they did with McGinn). They are less likely to give us a sell on clause too. I think he’s more likely to progress at a better club than Celtic and be sold on. He could do a Tierney of course.

Far more chance of getting a game at Celtic than any other club mentioned. 

They just sold their previous left back for 20+ million. They get big fees for their players. 

Playing band enhancing himself with first team football for Celtic rather than languishing in reserves at the likes of Bayern etc is far more likely to make us money. 

Not that I want him to sign for them mind you. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Homme said:

Far more chance of getting a game at Celtic than any other club mentioned. 

They just sold their previous left back for 20+ million. They get big fees for their players. 

Playing band enhancing himself with first team football for Celtic rather than languishing in reserves at the likes of Bayern etc is far more likely to make us money. 

Not that I want him to sign for them mind you. 

Like they Greg Taylor that they signed from Kilmarnock for a rumoured £1m, like Bolingoli who cost £3m, bad their own Calvin Miller who are 22/24/22. He will need to learn the attacking side of the game at Celtic to get ahead of those three, I just think he would learn all aspects of the gam elsewhere. Whereas if he goes to Celtic we would need to hope he does well to get a sell on fee 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈.