Hickey - signs for Bologna

communist

broxburnjambo
1 minute ago, Heartsofgold said:

This is the 1st time I've heard this opinion.

Personally, I think it's doubtful it's a fixed amount.  Most sell on figures are % of fee for the very reason that the selling club are looking to capitalise on a prospects development.  Plus the fact that the sell on clause we had/have with Celtic was for 30%.  

It's been widely reported that there is a sell on clause in his contract but we, as speculating supporters, have absolutely no idea what the terms of this are.

No speculation, its a fixed amount. How it works and the figures involved I have not got a clue. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Naisys Tackle
17 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He's just unfortunate that Scotland have 2 world class Left Backs that still have years left in the tank. He'll defo get in squads but unlikely that he is going to be first choice until Robertson is over the hill. 

Definitely. 

4 minutes ago, broxburnjambo said:

No speculation, its a fixed amount. How it works and the figures involved I have not got a clue. 

I have to ask, How do you know and are so sure?  Have you seen the contract?

Naisys Tackle
12 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Granted, but IIRC the player was soon to be out of contract or may already have been so, so it was his decision where his future lay.

Sure he had a year left when he went, no? 

Mr Brightside
21 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Would imagine if they sell for a certain amount (say £5m) or more it triggers us getting a £1m.  Shite business tbh.

That’s the equivalent of a 20% sell on clause which is reasonable, unless the £1m is capped despite what Bologna receive.

On 02/11/2021 at 22:16, jonesy said:

If Hickey had gone directly from Celtic to Italy he'd have been shoe-horned into the full men's team by now. One of the best players on the park in a Scottish cup final, only bright spot for us in 2019/20 and now ripping it up in Serie A but touch and go for the U21s, aye?

Feck the SFA, feck Clarke and his weird eyebrows and feck everyone who isn't HMFC.

yeap. seems you have to play for one of the arse cheeks to get into the national team. Either that or one of the top four EPL clubs.

staggered that they even knew about that Jacob Brown kid.

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, Mr Brightside said:

That’s the equivalent of a 20% sell on clause which is reasonable, unless the £1m is capped despite what Bologna receive.

Not if he goes for £10m and we still have the fixed £1m. 

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

yeap. seems you have to play for one of the arse cheeks to get into the national team. Either that or one of the top four EPL clubs.

staggered that they even knew about that Jacob Brown kid.

What position would he play? 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

The sell on will all come out in the wash.

Hopefully we cascaded it so that it covers the next move after this…

BOOM….!

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Although a third of that would go to Celtic.

Ah well, considering we got him for nothing and he was in the final year of his contract. 3.5million all in is a decent score. 

We have paid Celtics fee already....there is no other major clause involved should he move on

Celtic got their 30% and around £475,000 when he was sold.

Of course all clubs involved in his development get a small compensation fee from Boys clubs upwards

Perth to Paisley
8 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Btw, do we have a sell on clause? 

Yes- earmarked for 'filling in the corners'!

😁

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

We have paid Celtics fee already....there is no other major clause involved should he move on

Of course all clubs involved in his development get a small compensation fee from Boys clubs upwards

Theres a huge unbelievably pedantic and boring thread about this. Maybe even a few pages back on this one

JimboJambo1874
On 26/05/2020 at 05:59, colinmaroon said:

Let's hope the lad isn't moved on to a club currently about to risk the health of their players.

Great young player. Deserves a chance to play at a high level. Whatever happens, I hope he finds a club where he can showecase his skills. Side topic - the Calvinism v Arminianism debate is interesting. Irresistible Grace v resistible Grace. Probably not the forum for that debate mind you.😉

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

5% of the fee I believe.

1 minute ago, Drew Wallace said:

Wonder what boys club that is 🤥

The 5% is split proportionately between all club's involved in his development up to a certain age, 23 I think.

Guest ToqueJambo

This is your periodic reminder that a player courted as a teenager by Bayern, a Series A regular and now apparently interesting AC Milan hasn't even been capped at any level above U17 level by Scotland and appears to be nowhere near the full Scotland squad, even when we have very poor options in a position he can play in (RB).

Meanwhile assorted Scottish Championship, OF reserves (or 5 game wonders like Patterson and no doubt Ralston soon) and lower league England players - not to mention the likes of Lewis Stevenson - get called up.

Sometimes I feel like we get the national team we deserve for putting up with this nonsense.

16 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

What position would he play? 

Anywhere on either flank.

appreciate we’re strong in a few positions but the kid has shown he can step up a level. He’d be useful cover for injuries

11 hours ago, JimboJambo1874 said:

Great young player. Deserves a chance to play at a high level. Whatever happens, I hope he finds a club where he can showecase his skills. Side topic - the Calvinism v Arminianism debate is interesting. Irresistible Grace v resistible Grace. Probably not the forum for that debate mind you.😉

Ephesians 1.

The Goalscoring Knee

Interview in today's Times. Sounds like a sensible young lad who knows what he wants from the game and knows that it takes hard work to get it. Wish him well.

A clip did the rounds in Italy last week where Sinisa Mihajlovic, the Bologna manager, poked good-natured fun at Aaron Hickey’s accent, in particular the way the Scot rolls his Rs.

The pair are shown sharing a joke at the top table of a press conference before Mihajlovic tells his young defender he should be picked for Scotland ahead of Andy Robertson.

Hickey has certainly been making all the right noises since moving to Bologna in September 2020, three months after his 18th birthday. Despite having had to adapt to a new country, league and language in the middle of a pandemic, and had his debut campaign eaten into by a bout of Covid and a season-ending shoulder injury, the left back has quickly established himself as one of the brightest prospects in the Italian game.

Barely a day goes by without him being linked with a bigger club. Aston Villa, Celtic — he had four years in their academy before he returned to Hearts — and most recently Milan, who are apparently on the lookout for back-up to the exceptional Theo Hernández.

Hickey, though, is demonstrably happy where he is, under a manager renowned for his willingness to place trust in younger players. It was Mihajlovic who, at the helm of Milan, gave the now Paris Saint-Germain and Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma his Serie A debut at the age of 16, while Hickey has started all 11 league matches so far this season.

“I had a couple of teams [interested],” the full back, who could have opted for Bayern Munich or Manchester City, said. “I decided to come to Bologna because I felt it was the place I was meant to be. I came and visited, it felt good, so my mind was made up. I heard the manager played young players and I thought it would be a good experience to come here and hopefully get a few games. That’s what I’ve managed to do, so I’m happy. Now it’s all about keeping it going.”

Mihajlovic is in many respects an ideal mentor. He arrived in Italy as a 23-year-old, having joined Roma from Red Star Belgrade in his Serbian homeland back in 1992. He played for Sampdoria, Lazio and Inter, winning two Serie A titles, and managed the likes of Fiorentina, Milan and Torino before beginning a second spell at Bologna in January 2019.

He, too, was a left back, famed for his dead-ball prowess but also for the defensive gnarliness that both sold him to, and developed, in his adopted country.

It is Hickey’s improvement out of possession that has most caught the eye so far this season, and it is something he has been working on.

“Italy is quite a defensive game so, as soon as I came, he [Mihajlovic] wanted me to know everything to do with defending and try to get as good as I can at it. I feel like I’ve improved a wee bit, which is good. As a player, he had the full package. It’s obviously good to have him as manager. He used to be a left back, he gives me wee tips during training and before and after games. He’s experienced the same things I have. It’s good for me to know what he’s done. He came here young and has succeeded in what he’s done. It’s great to have him to lean on and learn from.”

Bologna are tenth in the table, but Hickey has been consistently excellent, a fact not overlooked by the fastidious compilers of the pagelle (player ratings) where the Glasgow-born starlet always scores highly. Against Genoa in September, he became the first Scot since Graeme Souness 35 years ago to score in Serie A, and followed it up with a peach from his “wrong” foot in the 3-0 win over Lazio. He has started against Inter at San Siro and Napoli at the recently rebranded Stadio Diego Armando Maradona.

“You’ve dreamed of playing in the San Siro as a wee boy, and here you are doing it,” he said. “I didn’t watch much Serie A growing up, but I knew that it was one of the biggest leagues. Every time we went to Italy on holiday, I was like, ‘I want to play here one day’.

“Inter were the best team I’ve played so far. I didn’t get to go up against [Cristiano] Ronaldo with Juventus last season, but Inter are the defending champions and they’ve so many good attacking players who you have to try to contain. It’s an exciting league, really tight, and, when you find a bit of form, you’ve just got to try to carry it on.”

Hickey has also settled well off the pitch. His father, Neil, lived with him for much of the first year and his mother, Maureen, has recently arrived for a month-long visit. But there is no suggestion off him needing his hand held in a city famed for its cuisine and huge student population.

“It’s really busy at the weekends, totally packed,” he said. “It’s good fun, though; good to have other people around and about. The food is class. Me and the boys go out for dinner after training and there’s never any shortage of options.

“It’s a good base, Bologna, close to the big cities. I’ve been up to Milan a couple of times, Venice, Florence . . . I know my way around now and feel totally comfortable.”

If Mihajlovic’s remark about Robertson was firmly throwaway, there is a serious conversation to be had about how and when Hickey might break into the national team. This week he is likely to make his under-21 debut against Kazakhstan or Belgium, having withdrawn from a number of camps with minor injuries, but even there he must contend with the likes of Josh Doig and Adam Montgomery.

“There’s competition everywhere," Hickey, who has been keeping former Ajax man Mitchell Dijks out of the Bologna team, said. “All I can do is work hard and make the most of the chances that come my way. You’ve got to just wait on your opportunity. You’ve got Robertson and [Kieran] Tierney in there [with Scotland] so obviously it’s going to be a wee bit difficult, but I’m just going to go along and see what happens.”

9 minutes ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Interview in today's Times. Sounds like a sensible young lad who knows what he wants from the game and knows that it takes hard work to get it. Wish him well.

A clip did the rounds in Italy last week where Sinisa Mihajlovic, the Bologna manager, poked good-natured fun at Aaron Hickey’s accent, in particular the way the Scot rolls his Rs.

The pair are shown sharing a joke at the top table of a press conference before Mihajlovic tells his young defender he should be picked for Scotland ahead of Andy Robertson.

Hickey has certainly been making all the right noises since moving to Bologna in September 2020, three months after his 18th birthday. Despite having had to adapt to a new country, league and language in the middle of a pandemic, and had his debut campaign eaten into by a bout of Covid and a season-ending shoulder injury, the left back has quickly established himself as one of the brightest prospects in the Italian game.

Barely a day goes by without him being linked with a bigger club. Aston Villa, Celtic — he had four years in their academy before he returned to Hearts — and most recently Milan, who are apparently on the lookout for back-up to the exceptional Theo Hernández.

Hickey, though, is demonstrably happy where he is, under a manager renowned for his willingness to place trust in younger players. It was Mihajlovic who, at the helm of Milan, gave the now Paris Saint-Germain and Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma his Serie A debut at the age of 16, while Hickey has started all 11 league matches so far this season.

“I had a couple of teams [interested],” the full back, who could have opted for Bayern Munich or Manchester City, said. “I decided to come to Bologna because I felt it was the place I was meant to be. I came and visited, it felt good, so my mind was made up. I heard the manager played young players and I thought it would be a good experience to come here and hopefully get a few games. That’s what I’ve managed to do, so I’m happy. Now it’s all about keeping it going.”

Mihajlovic is in many respects an ideal mentor. He arrived in Italy as a 23-year-old, having joined Roma from Red Star Belgrade in his Serbian homeland back in 1992. He played for Sampdoria, Lazio and Inter, winning two Serie A titles, and managed the likes of Fiorentina, Milan and Torino before beginning a second spell at Bologna in January 2019.

He, too, was a left back, famed for his dead-ball prowess but also for the defensive gnarliness that both sold him to, and developed, in his adopted country.

It is Hickey’s improvement out of possession that has most caught the eye so far this season, and it is something he has been working on.

“Italy is quite a defensive game so, as soon as I came, he [Mihajlovic] wanted me to know everything to do with defending and try to get as good as I can at it. I feel like I’ve improved a wee bit, which is good. As a player, he had the full package. It’s obviously good to have him as manager. He used to be a left back, he gives me wee tips during training and before and after games. He’s experienced the same things I have. It’s good for me to know what he’s done. He came here young and has succeeded in what he’s done. It’s great to have him to lean on and learn from.”

Bologna are tenth in the table, but Hickey has been consistently excellent, a fact not overlooked by the fastidious compilers of the pagelle (player ratings) where the Glasgow-born starlet always scores highly. Against Genoa in September, he became the first Scot since Graeme Souness 35 years ago to score in Serie A, and followed it up with a peach from his “wrong” foot in the 3-0 win over Lazio. He has started against Inter at San Siro and Napoli at the recently rebranded Stadio Diego Armando Maradona.

“You’ve dreamed of playing in the San Siro as a wee boy, and here you are doing it,” he said. “I didn’t watch much Serie A growing up, but I knew that it was one of the biggest leagues. Every time we went to Italy on holiday, I was like, ‘I want to play here one day’.

“Inter were the best team I’ve played so far. I didn’t get to go up against [Cristiano] Ronaldo with Juventus last season, but Inter are the defending champions and they’ve so many good attacking players who you have to try to contain. It’s an exciting league, really tight, and, when you find a bit of form, you’ve just got to try to carry it on.”

Hickey has also settled well off the pitch. His father, Neil, lived with him for much of the first year and his mother, Maureen, has recently arrived for a month-long visit. But there is no suggestion off him needing his hand held in a city famed for its cuisine and huge student population.

“It’s really busy at the weekends, totally packed,” he said. “It’s good fun, though; good to have other people around and about. The food is class. Me and the boys go out for dinner after training and there’s never any shortage of options.

“It’s a good base, Bologna, close to the big cities. I’ve been up to Milan a couple of times, Venice, Florence . . . I know my way around now and feel totally comfortable.”

If Mihajlovic’s remark about Robertson was firmly throwaway, there is a serious conversation to be had about how and when Hickey might break into the national team. This week he is likely to make his under-21 debut against Kazakhstan or Belgium, having withdrawn from a number of camps with minor injuries, but even there he must contend with the likes of Josh Doig and Adam Montgomery.

“There’s competition everywhere," Hickey, who has been keeping former Ajax man Mitchell Dijks out of the Bologna team, said. “All I can do is work hard and make the most of the chances that come my way. You’ve got to just wait on your opportunity. You’ve got Robertson and [Kieran] Tierney in there [with Scotland] so obviously it’s going to be a wee bit difficult, but I’m just going to go along and see what happens.”

Great to see, cracking player. Hopefully more young Scottish players will be inspired to look a little further afield when making the step up. 

Special Agent Dale Cooper
15 minutes ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Mihajlovic clearly loves him, and he doesn't suffer fools.

Very promising signs!

On the subject of rolling Rs, the pronunciation of r in Italian is quite strong so a Scottish accent is actually not the worst starting point for pronouncing many words in Italian. By contrast, many native French and German speakers really struggle with the Italian r. Great to see Hickey doing well in Serie A. I was always convinced he was the real deal and he's now proving it. 

The numbers being banded about for his next move will certainly quiten those idiots from the dark side in Glasgow, who think he wants to play for them!😍

Edited by a11ank

He should play for the U21s soon. Is he seen as purely a LB? Only reason I can see that he isn’t getting a senior call-up.

15 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

The 5% is split proportionately between all club's involved in his development up to a certain age, 23 I think.

So we will get a cut of that as well as our 20%.

He was at Hearts before going to Celtic, before coming back to Hearts.  

:v_SPIN:

He should be in the squad ahead of Greg Taylor. He offers versatility in being two footed so if Clarke wanted more attacking players he could use Hickey to replace O'Donnell and Taylor as neither are likely to see much game time anyway freeing up another slot and it would get a talented young player in training with the first team alongside the likes of Robertson and Tierney which could only be good for his development. 

part_time_jambo
13 hours ago, GlasgoJambo said:

I’m so much more interested in Hickey’s development as a player than anything to do with sell on fees.

I think sell on fees are more important to Hearts than Hickey's development. I appreciate though that the better he is the more he will sell for eventually.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Anyone know what the sell-on % is and if Celtic will get anything?

I think Banderson said it was 15% on twitter a few weeks back.

On 05/11/2021 at 14:57, Sertse said:

Seriously hope we have a decent sell on fee coming our way

If Levein negotiated it, we'll be giving Bologna 20%.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, Super_Hans said:

I think Banderson said it was 15% on twitter a few weeks back.

How much will it be if he's sold on Facebook? 20% at least, I hope :whistling: