Hickey - signs for Bologna

communist

36 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Robertson did it the right way. He stepped up sort of gradually from Queens Park to Dundee Utd to Hull to Liverpool. He got a sort of lucky break when Moreno got injured and got a decent run of games - I don't think he would have got a game at that point otherwise - and he's just cracked on from there really and is now arguably one of the best full backs in the game.

Would be concerned that Hickey is making the move too soon if he went to City rather than taking a smaller step first, and would only end up being loaned out repeatedly, and/or just playing for their development squad. In fairness to City though, they've developed Zinchenko and Angelino who I'm sure joined them as teenagers. They're now 23 or something and I've seen Zinchenko playing quite a bit. I don't follow them that closely so don't know if he's their regular left back or not. I guess it would be up to Hickey to get his head down and put the work in if he went. Suppose he's got to weigh up whether he wants £5k a week and some game time at someone like QPR or one of the other smaller English clubs that have shown an interest (I think Stoke was another??), or £20k a week and potentially no first team football for a couple of years unless he's loaned out. 

WIsh him all the luck in the world and I really hope it does work out for him. 

If there were more careers like Robertson's it would be really positive for smaller and medium sized clubs. Ironically, it was only possible because people kept on discounting him, if Celtic (think it was them or maybe Rangers) saw his potential and offered him a deal, they could have stifled his development. I would like to see teams who develop players to be rewarded more as a matter of course, perhaps sell on clauses as standard would help and not just the next sale but ongoing. Something like 15% for first sale, 10% for second and 5% for third. In Robertson's case Queen's Park, Dundee United, and Hull would then continue to benefit for their input into his development. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Good post. Was aware that changes were being made but wasn't sure how quickly they were coming into effect.

It really is a case of teams stocking up on the "best talent" to stop them going elsewhere. Chelsea for example seem to generally get the first pick of the best talent in London (probably due to the ludicrous money they offer youngsters) and it's proven by how many times they've won the youth league / cups. What this does though is it can potentially restrict the players to only youth football which can potentially stint their growth unless they're punted out on loan somewhere. 

I read the other day that a Chelsea player Van Ginkel, now 27 and has been at the club since 2011/12 I think. Has not played a first team game for them in almost that length of time and has been on loan 7 or 8 times. What have they done? They've given him a new deal. That is an immense waste of a player.

If you were to be brave and reject Chelsea for another London club i.e. Fulham, Palace or Arsenal, there's a clearer path into the first team, using Sessegnon for example with Fulham before he was sold to Spurs, Wan Bissaka now at Utd and the likes of Joe Willock and Bukayo Saka for Arsenal.

Anyway I'm off topic but I personally can't see a clear path for Hickey at City and could see him leaving as a 22/23 year old player with 4 years worth of English youth contact type money in his pocket. I hope I'm wrong however.

Could easily be the next Demi Mitchell in that scenario- decent contract, loaned out and then early 20s, looking for a club.

Boyces beard
7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Is this pish or fact ? 

I was wondering the same bud, I think its just social media rumours

RustyRightPeg
33 minutes ago, Pagey said:

Could easily be the next Demi Mitchell in that scenario- decent contract, loaned out and then early 20s, looking for a club.

Exactly that. I saw the other day that Ashley Smith-Brown (remember him), who barely kicked a ball for us on loan from City is now a free agent after being released by Plymouth.

The money messes with these players heads at a young age it's a fact.

On the topic of Demi Mitchell, it's good for footballers to have outside interests, but I don't think he's kicked a ball since he started his clothing brand.

1 hour ago, Pagey said:

It's a difficult proposition to turn down for a young player though. You could be the next Luke Chadwick but you could also be the next Paul Scholes. When they were recruited and loaned out the coaches probably didn't know exactly how it was going to turn out. Hickey has more exposure to real football than a lot of the players in these development teams so he may shine in that environment and be able to get loaned out to a team a decent level quickly. If so it's up to his commitment and drive to determine how for he will go. 

1 hour ago, buzzbomb said:

The current rumour is pish 

Man City have been hinging around for a while on Hickey, even gave us that Japanese chap as a sweetener. 

Pasquale for King

I hope he goes to a club outside Scotland, has another year here then does well and gets us a big sell on fee. 
The weird one for me is although he’s a RB the 19yo Jeremie Frimpong, a Dutch u20s player, was allowed to leave City after ten years for about £350k. Whenever I saw this guy he looks far better going forward than Hickey does, which as a City player it would seem to be a pre requisite. Unless they have a few RBs better than him. 
Hickey is a good defender though and being able to play both sides is also in his favour.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I hope he goes to a club outside Scotland, has another year here then does well and gets us a big sell on fee. 
The weird one for me is although he’s a RB the 19yo Jeremie Frimpong, a Dutch u20s player, was allowed to leave City after ten years for about £350k. Whenever I saw this guy he looks far better going forward than Hickey does, which as a City player it would seem to be a pre requisite. Unless they have a few RBs better than him. 
Hickey is a good defender though and being able to play both sides is also in his favour.

The Andy robertson path would be better for him (i.e give us another couple of years then make his move down South) but he's not signing an extension because he thinks he can do better. For a player like Hickey who is definitely making it, first team experience is invaluable. He could very well end up swallowed up going to a big club. 

That said, as long as its outside of Scotland, I couldn't really care less. Its about developing them and moving them on. Ensure we get a sell on fee and keep the line moving. 

We're going to have this situation again and again the more kids that come through here and 'make it' at this level. Its important the club develops strong links down south so that when that does happen we have a network to contact to try and offload quickly for maximum value. I want to develop a mindset where going down south, rather than west, is the mentality. Develop kids that want to play at the highest level. 

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s going to Celtic next summer. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, OTT said:

The Andy robertson path would be better for him (i.e give us another couple of years then make his move down South) but he's not signing an extension because he thinks he can do better. For a player like Hickey who is definitely making it, first team experience is invaluable. He could very well end up swallowed up going to a big club. 

That said, as long as its outside of Scotland, I couldn't really care less. Its about developing them and moving them on. Ensure we get a sell on fee and keep the line moving. 

We're going to have this situation again and again the more kids that come through here and 'make it' at this level. Its important the club develops strong links down south so that when that does happen we have a network to contact to try and offload quickly for maximum value. I want to develop a mindset where going down south, rather than west, is the mentality. Develop kids that want to play at the highest level. 

It would be better that way for us to get a sell on fee. Going down South should be the goal not West, it would be great to foster that. 
The problem is what will he learn in the Championship with us. 
He will make it though, you can see him working a winger out as the game goes on and the winger usually ends up frustrated at the plooky teenager getting the better of him mentally and physically and have a kick at him. As long as we get what he’s worth good luck to him. 

• 5 weeks later...
Tommy Brown

From the DR link

But Bologna lead the race and are expected to contact the Tynecastle hierarchy this week.

how does that work? They lead the race but haven't contacted us.

they have sorted it with the agent?

or just complete bs. Most likely.

4 minutes ago, Perrykitch said:

I would love to keep him but we shouldn’t be entertaining any bids under 10m for him 

He is free to leave for a development fee at the end of this season. Cant imagine his stock will rise in a half championship season. 

All this about Hickey is a waste of time. I'd only comment on any player if an offer is made. Agents play games through the media and it is usually a ploy to get a player moved quickly and for a good price.

SomethingAboutObua

Would rather lose him now for a hefty fee than in summer for a tiny development fee and probably no sell on clause (Paterson  put his into his Cardiff contract himself). 

Hickey’s already a regular starter so it’s not like he was going to learn much else new playing in championship. 

Playing in the championship we could turn Garuccio into a good player, next year have him a consistent Australia cap and be able to sell him on. Wasn’t that meant to be a cornerstone of the clubs 5 year plan and philosophy etc? 

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Phage said:

He is free to leave for a development fee at the end of this season. Cant imagine his stock will rise in a half championship season. 

At the end of the day, if there are multiple teams interested the team that really wants him will have to pay or risk someone else getting him.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Would rather lose him now for a hefty fee than in summer for a tiny development fee and probably no sell on clause (Paterson  put his into his Cardiff contract himself). 

Hickey’s already a regular starter so it’s not like he was going to learn much else new playing in championship. 

Playing in the championship we could turn Garuccio into a good player, next year have him a consistent Australia cap and be able to sell him on. Wasn’t that meant to be a cornerstone of the clubs 5 year plan and philosophy etc? 

We've turned lots of players into internationalists the last few years. Getting fees for any players is the hard part.

20 minutes ago, Perrykitch said:

I would love to keep him but we shouldn’t be entertaining any bids under 10m for him 

Have u thought of applying for the DoF job? exactly the thinking and negotiating skills we need in that role....

Anything above a million take and move on. kid is good for his age but it's clear hes not going to repay the faith in us for giving him his career break. Has part of our worst ever defence imo.

Edited by Jambo92

18 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Anything above a million take and move on. kid is good for his age but it's clear hes not going to repay the faith in us for giving him his career break. Has part of our worst ever defence imo.

Throwing the kid under the bus re part of our worst defence 🤯🤪🤯🤪🤯

It was pitiful, but the last person I would be tarnishing with that brush is the 16-18 year old Hickey FFS...

I dont blame him wanting out of what has been an dreadful set up for the past 3 years or so. Hopefully we get well over a million up front plus bonuses and we move on....

He’s a good player, but he always looks knackered to me? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Would be a no brainer to punt him for a decent fee with a sell on %

IMO of course

53 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Its a fair point. 

I'm exhausted with the Hickey situation. 

Anything over a million we should seriously consider. Since we're no longer in the Premiership, I don't see a loan back agreement as massively beneficial for us (as you say giving Garuccio game time seems more prudent to try and get him the exposure that results in a fee. 

My only 'demand' is that he's not sold to a rival (i.e Celtic), I want club policy to be always to look to sell players on to clubs down south. Pretty much to anyone but the OF. I think its important to the fans not to feel like we're a feeder club for the bigot twins. 

Bunny Munro

I think we should gamble a bit on Hickey and forgo some cash up front for a larger sell on fee. 

I'm sure Celtic take a third of the initial payment anyway.

SomethingAboutObua
6 minutes ago, OTT said:

My only 'demand' is that he's not sold to a rival (i.e Celtic), I want club policy to be always to look to sell players on to clubs down south. Pretty much to anyone but the OF. I think its important to the fans not to feel like we're a feeder club for the bigot twins. 

Totally agree. We're meant to be treating these teams as our sporting rivals, not improving their standing by letting them improve their squads with our best. I don't think it's wrong to say we don't sell within our league or increase the transfer break in contracts for domestic teams. 

With Hickey I wouldn't want him back on loan, definitely want us to focus on developing who we have over a player we've already taken money on (if we sell him). I think people need to remember we can still sell and make money on guys who are over 24, not just our youth/younger players.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Perrykitch said:

That's just a crazy figure ! We ain't getting anywhere near 10 million 

Deepfriedpizza
On 01/07/2020 at 23:50, Last Laff said:

He’s going to Celtic next summer. 

When did you hear that? Surely Celtic would buy him now and loan him back if that was the case?

What's the script with AH? Keep hearing different people say different about the team he supports...

Rocky jamboa

Probably £1m upfront with a big sell on fee would be decent now. 30% something like that. 

Doesnt sound like he feels his future is with us, which is fair enough with the clubs looking at him 😪

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

That's just a crazy figure ! We ain't getting anywhere near 10 million 

He's at it, ffs!

Holyrood_Hearts
6 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

That last sentence 🤦🏼‍♂️ I take it you didn’t see much of us last season? 

Leveins Battalion

Hickey is a decent young player but that is it.

If I was to compare him to Gary Naysmith or Lee Wallace he is nowhere near as good as they were.

My opinion of course.

50 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

If I was to compare him to Gary Naysmith or Lee Wallace he is nowhere near as good as they were.

My opinion of course.

Fair point though

53 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

My opinion of course.

Gary Naismith was far better than Lee Wallace. Like another planet in comparison, imo.

Hickey is better than Wallace was at the same age imo.

Hickey is a very good player in the making.

OmiyaHearts

We've plenty of cover at full back, considering the level of opposition this season. Best time to punt him.

Seymour M Hersh

This is a total guess from me putting two and two together and probably coming up with five. However at Liverpool Andy Robertson's only U23 back up is Yasser Larouci  who is apparently leaving this summer.  I know Milli can deputise but perhaps Liverpool would be an option for AH. He'd go straight into the U23 (as he will anywhere he goes tbh) but at least would have a clear path to the first team  bench to start with and with the experience gained in the premiership would be ahead of all others currently at the Academy. 

24 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Gary Naismith was far better than Lee Wallace. Like another planet in comparison, imo.

Hickey is better than Wallace was at the same age imo.

Hickey is a very good player in the making.

Agreed. Wallace was athletic and a decent player. It added up to a great package.

Naysmith and Hickey both better players imo. Hickeys composure and technique on the ball is unbelievable. He's also totally 2 footed. He could end up a Scottish Lahm.

Naysmith was just good at everything basically!

Edited by TheBigO

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

My opinion of course.

Agreed. Take the money and move on.

Just now, TheBigO said:

Agreed. Wallace was athletic and a decent player. It added up to a great package.

Naismith and Hickey both better players imo. Hickeys composure and technique on the ball is unbelievable. He's also totally 2 footed. He could end up a Scottish Lahm.

Naysmith was just good at everything basically!

I mind when the 1998 Cup team was being picked apart, and Naysmith was still with us for a while after the defence had suffered a bit of change. Watched him in a game at Tynecastle, and he was just such a standout, even at that young age. I don’t remember a poor performance from Naysmith, he just seemed to be brilliant from the start of his Career to the end.

Wallace was a good player, but he struggled a fair bit when he broke through. He used to get absolutely slaughtered by some around about the Shaggy era, and got shunted out to the winger position and back to fullback again. Once Driver came through, he looked a different player again, and their understanding with each other drove both of them forwards.

If Hickey goes on to have a career like Naysmith’s he will be an incredible success. He’s got the tools for the job, but that’s some yardstick! I would expect he’ll surpass Wallace fairly soon.

the general
26 minutes ago, theshed said:

Thought the ITK people said he was away to Man City? 

City are monitoring him just like they do with hundreds of youngsters

Scnorthedinburgh

Hopefully he goes to BM after he has a look round their facilities.

We hat about 1 or 2 million.

If he makes it and stays at BM no sell on for us, but if he did move it would be for big bucks.

Munich is fantastic, German pretty easy to learn.

Or Glasgow or Birmingham.

Hope he is a bright lad.

The life experience of going to Munich should be the first choice, if the opportunity was to come around. In terms of would he make it there as first team player, I would seriously doubt if being brutally honest. It's not being negative, it's just that level is so much higher than I think some people realise. 

No point in Hickey playing in the Championship. An absolute waste of his talent. He needs to move on and play with better players. Serie A or the Bundesliga would be the best moves for him. If he was to play first team in Serie A at 18 and play well, he'd move on to somewhere at 20-21 for Gazillions. 

Edited by Cruyff

Bayern Munich also have Liam Morrison, who they signed from Celtic, which might be a draw for Hickey. Another young Scottish lad to lean on, and no doubt they know each other so I’d imagine Morrison will have given Hickey the inside scope on the script at Bayern.

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Scnorthedinburgh said:

Hopefully he goes to BM after he has a look round their facilities.

We hat about 1 or 2 million.

If he makes it and stays at BM no sell on for us, but if he did move it would be for big bucks.

Munich is fantastic, German pretty easy to learn.

Or Glasgow or Birmingham.

Hope he is a bright lad.

Why no sell-on?

Guest ToqueJambo
48 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

The life experience of going to Munich should be the first choice, if the opportunity was to come around. In terms of would he make it there as first team player, I would seriously doubt if being brutally honest. It's not being negative, it's just that level is so much higher than I think some people realise. 

Bayern would be the best choice. They took Davies from the MLS, a worst standard than Hickey's been playing in, and fast-tracked him into the first team. Davies does have unreal pace but it shows that Bayern are willing to take a chance on an unknown youngster and don't care where they come from.