Hickey - signs for Bologna

communist

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

We only offered him an additional 250 quid a week??

Ask Levein.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rocky jamboa
11 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Rumoured to be on £500pw with and Improved offer of an additional £250 to sign an extended contract by our former manager. Hickey won’t be signing any extended contract here and not for any amount of money. Needs sold whilst his stock is still high. He’ll be back along the M8 before a ball is kicked in earnest this season imo 

I would be very surprised if we have only offered him £750 pw! I'm sure we'll have offered him a lot more.

We should do the same as we did with craig gordon. He was apparently given £18k per week to sign an extension but then we sold him for £9m. We should have done similar with hickey. Offered him a bigger wage but in the knowledge we would make it back and more in the  transfer fee.  Maybe we did already but he is keen to move on.

14 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm pretty sure Celtic will be entitled to 30% of any sell on fee we get, but I don't know if that includes a share of our development fees too

No they wouldn't 

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Like they Greg Taylor that they signed from Kilmarnock for a rumoured £1m, like Bolingoli who cost £3m, bad their own Calvin Miller who are 22/24/22. He will need to learn the attacking side of the game at Celtic to get ahead of those three, I just think he would learn all aspects of the gam elsewhere. Whereas if he goes to Celtic we would need to hope he does well to get a sell on fee 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈.

Miller has been released, Taylor has screwed up big time behind the scenes so they need another lb. Not sure Hickey is their first pick though. 

6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Miller has been released, Taylor has screwed up big time behind the scenes so they need another lb. Not sure Hickey is their first pick though. 

Taylor been a naughty boy? 

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’ve never heard of him but he’s 22 so is at that make or break age, probably go to Hibs. Hadn’t heard about Taylor, swap deal and sell on clauses both ways 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️?

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’ve never heard of him but he’s 22 so is at that make or break age, probably go to Hibs. Hadn’t heard about Taylor, swap deal and sell on clauses both ways 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️?

Taylor a good player. Attitude issue? If not, I'd take that swap tbh.

Want the sell on though

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Taylor a good player. Attitude issue? If not, I'd take that swap tbh.

Want the sell on though

Don’t know what the issue is to be honest, they might want him off the books. Wages might be a problem though.

Greedy Jambo

So...

Anyone else hate when people start a sentence with so? 

So, is there any chance of Hickey staying? or close thread?

Edited by Space Pirate

17 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

So...

Anyone else hate when people start a sentence with so? 

So, is there any chance of Hickey staying? or close thread?

So so.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bid that's to shout about for this talented player....maybe they ste waiting till. August......I would give him 10k a week and slap a fee on his head.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Heard a deals been agreed with Man Citeh , loaned back for a year . 

Does that mean we get money plus Hickey for the season? Seriously, is that what it means?

That would be superb.

11 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Heard a deals been agreed with Man Citeh , loaned back for a year . 

heard this also. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Club produces one of the most sought after teenage defenders around.

League deliberately demotes them for no good reason.

Never change Scottish football, never change.

SuperstarSteve

Hickey to city before he turned 18 seemed to always be the plan.

Glad to get him back for a year but not fussed about the fee too much as he walks for free in January and Celtic get 30%. Whatever we get is more than we would come January. 

Thought Police
14 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Hickey to city before he turned 18 seemed to always be the plan.

Glad to get him back for a year but not fussed about the fee too much as he walks for free in January and Celtic get 30%. Whatever we get is more than we would come January. 

Yeah, we had to sell now, and at least we get him back the season anyway.

SuperstarSteve
4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Hickey is 18 now.

That’ll be that then 😂. Always thought they wanted him to be a HGT but that ship has sailed. 

I might be being very naive but I would be flabbergasted if he ended up at City.

Appreciate he is well though about but that is a hell of a jump !!

He’s a good player but he always looks absolutely knackered to me?  Has he had too much football? Are we constantly talking him up to get a good price? Something just doesn’t add up 🤷🏻‍♂️ I wish him nothing but goodwill though and hope he captains Scotland to the World Cup then he retires a multi millionaire 👍🏻 Good luck to the boy

It’s well known it’s his dad firing these team names to the press, the dads a knob by all accounts, a loaded knob.  So much so Aaron is still on £350 p/w at the dads request, because he knows the boy will benefit more if a dream move comes to something.

Anybody see the snaps of Aaron jumping off a huge Glasgow waterfall into a river a couple of weeks ago? Mental.

Rick Sanchez

He always looks like he's pulled his hammy or calf after 20mins but he just keeps going 🤷‍♂️😄

18 minutes ago, steve123 said:

I might be being very naive but I would be flabbergasted if he ended up at City.

Appreciate he is well though about but that is a hell of a jump !!

City sign a lot of promising youngsters. 

Potential. Often move on. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Is Hickey as good a player as Meshino and/or will he be in 3/4 years when he reaches that age? City signed Ryo...

11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

fingers crossed then a few million would do !!

14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Is Hickey as good a player as Meshino and/or will he be in 3/4 years when he reaches that age? City signed Ryo...

I've seen a few of their youngsters. Guys no where near playing for them. All seem to have skill and potential but we know it takes more than that. A few quite callow. 

While Chelsea's strategy just seems to be to make money, not sure what City's plan is in all their youngsters. Not all go on loan either. 

Edited by Mikey1874

RustyRightPeg

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

I've seen a few of their youngsters. Guys no where near playing for them. All seem to have high skill and potential but we know it takes more than that. A few quite callow. 

While Chelsea's strategy just seems to be to make money, not sure what City's plan is in all their youngsters. Not all go on loan either. 

Strange thing about City is the owners own 8 or 9 clubs now and a lot of their players end up at these teams for nothing rather than loaning them out externally for a fee. 

In comparison to Chelsea who made £45/50M on loan fees alone last year and managed to sign Werner for effectively nothing off it this. 

Personally if Hickey does go, I can't see him making it very far down there. He isn't athletic enough (potentially yet) and has a lot of work to do in the weight room. Positionally I can't really fault him up here but it's a whole different ball game down there and the training is a whole different intensity.

11 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Strange thing about City is the owners own 8 or 9 clubs now and a lot of their players end up at these teams for nothing rather than loaning them out externally for a fee. 

In comparison to Chelsea who made £45/50M on loan fees alone last year and managed to sign Werner for effectively nothing off it this. 

Personally if Hickey does go, I can't see him making it very far down there. He isn't athletic enough (potentially yet) and has a lot of work to do in the weight room. Positionally I can't really fault him up here but it's a whole different ball game down there and the training is a whole different intensity.

City will probably be "selling" them to their other clubs for a tidy wee profit that makes FFP look within their reach, its basically laundering money through clubs to make the balance sheet look better 

1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

This is meant to be changing actually since you mentioned it. 

FIFA are stepping in to curb the hoarding of players which seems to be happening (Hector at Chelsea being one of the worst examples of this), FIFA are essentially as of 2021 allowing only 8 players to out on loan over the age of 22 and then 6 in 2022/23

It may not necessarily help distribute young talent better, but will force them to make tough decisions when players are getting into that territory. One video quoted a point in time where Atalanta had over 150 players out on loan. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/atalanta-bergamo/leihspieler/verein/800 Current is quite a lot too. 

Obviously Red Bull and City own multiple clubs so player hoarding can still occur, but this should force enough of a change for there to be a downstream impact for clubs like us ideally. 

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/fifa-curb-player-hoarding-limiting-loan-deals-908284

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2020/3/4/21157356/new-fifa-rules-regulations-loan-players-premier-league-chelsea-man-city-everton-brands-ancelotti

One of my biggest complaints is young Scottish lads buggering off down south at the first opportunity and sitting in the reserves at a big club till they are 'past it' in a competitive sense. The worst example of this I can think of is Islam Feruz. So much wasted talent. Remember seeing him at a youth international game I went along to at Easter Road and he was looking pretty decent. Instead of trying to challenge himself he's taken easy street and is pretty much done with football at 24. Adam King too, Swansea was a waste of his time and he's now 24 with barely more experience than Cochrane.... A lot of these lads have no business being at top clubs and are turfed out at their weakest instead of when it becomes clear they aren't making it at that level. Feruz being binned from Chelsea 2 years before he was instead of being given a new contract maybe gives him the shock he needs to kick on and find that hunger to succeed. 

I'd like to see FIFA make it 21 or even 20 instead. It would seriously put pressure on big clubs to let the horde of players they're never using go out and forge a career at the right level. 

On Hickey, a loan back is good. Gives us a year of breathing room to figure out what we're doing. Plus its not Celtic so happy enough with that. 

Jambof3tornado
48 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I've seen a few of their youngsters. Guys no where near playing for them. All seem to have skill and potential but we know it takes more than that. A few quite callow. 

This is from jan last year. Worth a read on citehs young talents being sold on after very few often zero starts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6568423/amp/Manchester-Citys-136m-worth-sales-kids-Brahim-Diaz-sale-Real-Madrid.html

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Club produces one of the most sought after teenage defenders around.

League deliberately demotes them for no good reason.

Never change Scottish football, never change.

Celtic produced him?  

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:
57 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Did anyone see Andy Robertson being the player he is now while he was at Dundee Utd?

Really interesting info, cheers.

One thing that is a concern is the relationships between clubs.

Its normal to get on better with some people. But clearly some deals are being done. 

RustyRightPeg

I didn't see Robertson becoming the player he has, but he didn't make the jump to Liverpool straight away. He played a whole season for Hull and proved he was capable in the league of being a starter.

Man City won't loan him to another Prem club and even if they did, I still don't think he'd start for any of them...

complete control

with city doing the majority of attacking in their games ive no seen anything in the young mans play to think he would get a game doon there. 

Just now, complete control said:

with city doing the majority of attacking in their games ive no seen anything in the young mans play to think he would get a game doon there. 

Do you really think City would view him as an immediate first team start?   

complete control
7 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Do you really think City would view him as an immediate first team start?   

I will be stunned if he ever got a 1st team game in the premiership for them. 

RustyRightPeg
11 hours ago, OTT said:

This is meant to be changing actually since you mentioned it. 

FIFA are stepping in to curb the hoarding of players which seems to be happening (Hector at Chelsea being one of the worst examples of this), FIFA are essentially as of 2021 allowing only 8 players to out on loan over the age of 22 and then 6 in 2022/23

It may not necessarily help distribute young talent better, but will force them to make tough decisions when players are getting into that territory. One video quoted a point in time where Atalanta had over 150 players out on loan. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/atalanta-bergamo/leihspieler/verein/800 Current is quite a lot too. 

Obviously Red Bull and City own multiple clubs so player hoarding can still occur, but this should force enough of a change for there to be a downstream impact for clubs like us ideally. 

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/fifa-curb-player-hoarding-limiting-loan-deals-908284

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2020/3/4/21157356/new-fifa-rules-regulations-loan-players-premier-league-chelsea-man-city-everton-brands-ancelotti

One of my biggest complaints is young Scottish lads buggering off down south at the first opportunity and sitting in the reserves at a big club till they are 'past it' in a competitive sense. The worst example of this I can think of is Islam Feruz. So much wasted talent. Remember seeing him at a youth international game I went along to at Easter Road and he was looking pretty decent. Instead of trying to challenge himself he's taken easy street and is pretty much done with football at 24. Adam King too, Swansea was a waste of his time and he's now 24 with barely more experience than Cochrane.... A lot of these lads have no business being at top clubs and are turfed out at their weakest instead of when it becomes clear they aren't making it at that level. Feruz being binned from Chelsea 2 years before he was instead of being given a new contract maybe gives him the shock he needs to kick on and find that hunger to succeed. 

I'd like to see FIFA make it 21 or even 20 instead. It would seriously put pressure on big clubs to let the horde of players they're never using go out and forge a career at the right level. 

On Hickey, a loan back is good. Gives us a year of breathing room to figure out what we're doing. Plus its not Celtic so happy enough with that. 

Good post. Was aware that changes were being made but wasn't sure how quickly they were coming into effect.

It really is a case of teams stocking up on the "best talent" to stop them going elsewhere. Chelsea for example seem to generally get the first pick of the best talent in London (probably due to the ludicrous money they offer youngsters) and it's proven by how many times they've won the youth league / cups. What this does though is it can potentially restrict the players to only youth football which can potentially stint their growth unless they're punted out on loan somewhere. 

I read the other day that a Chelsea player Van Ginkel, now 27 and has been at the club since 2011/12 I think. Has not played a first team game for them in almost that length of time and has been on loan 7 or 8 times. What have they done? They've given him a new deal. That is an immense waste of a player.

If you were to be brave and reject Chelsea for another London club i.e. Fulham, Palace or Arsenal, there's a clearer path into the first team, using Sessegnon for example with Fulham before he was sold to Spurs, Wan Bissaka now at Utd and the likes of Joe Willock and Bukayo Saka for Arsenal.

Anyway I'm off topic but I personally can't see a clear path for Hickey at City and could see him leaving as a 22/23 year old player with 4 years worth of English youth contact type money in his pocket. I hope I'm wrong however.

It's really difficult to predict what a young player's potential ceiling is. The only player I can think of who looked so comfortable in the first team at such a young age was Naysmith who went on to play Premier League and international all be it not for a team of Man City's current standing, and Hickey was actually younger when he made his debut so that's probably the best indicator that we have from a Hearts perspective. Would other star players have made as much of a contribution as Hickey has over the past year at his age? Would a 16 year old Andy Robertson have put in such an assured performance in a cup final for instance? Hickey's success or otherwise will come down to a number of factors but at the moment I don't think a career at a top club can be ruled out. 

Batistuta87
43 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Andy Robertson played games which is the key thing.

And developed at every club he was at. 

Robertson did it the right way. He stepped up sort of gradually from Queens Park to Dundee Utd to Hull to Liverpool. He got a sort of lucky break when Moreno got injured and got a decent run of games - I don't think he would have got a game at that point otherwise - and he's just cracked on from there really and is now arguably one of the best full backs in the game.

Would be concerned that Hickey is making the move too soon if he went to City rather than taking a smaller step first, and would only end up being loaned out repeatedly, and/or just playing for their development squad. In fairness to City though, they've developed Zinchenko and Angelino who I'm sure joined them as teenagers. They're now 23 or something and I've seen Zinchenko playing quite a bit. I don't follow them that closely so don't know if he's their regular left back or not. I guess it would be up to Hickey to get his head down and put the work in if he went. Suppose he's got to weigh up whether he wants £5k a week and some game time at someone like QPR or one of the other smaller English clubs that have shown an interest (I think Stoke was another??), or £20k a week and potentially no first team football for a couple of years unless he's loaned out. 

WIsh him all the luck in the world and I really hope it does work out for him. 

Edited by Batistuta87

complete control
10 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Robertson did it the right way. He stepped up sort of gradually from Queens Park to Dundee Utd to Hull to Liverpool. He got a sort of lucky break when Moreno got injured and got a decent run of games - I don't think he would have got a game at that point otherwise - and he's just cracked on from there really and is now arguably one of the best full backs in the game.

Would be concerned that Hickey is making the move too soon if he went to City rather than taking a smaller step first, and would only end up being loaned out repeatedly, and/or just playing for their development squad. In fairness to City though, they've developed Zinchenko and Angelino who I'm sure joined them as teenagers. They're now 23 or something and I've seen Zinchenko playing quite a bit. I don't follow them that closely so don't know if he's their regular left back or not. I guess it would be up to Hickey to get his head down and put the work in if he went. Suppose he's got to weigh up whether he wants £5k a week and some game time at someone like QPR or one of the other smaller English clubs that have shown an interest (I think Stoke was another??), or £20k a week and potentially no first team football for a couple of years unless he's loaned out. 

WIsh him all the luck in the world and I really hope it does work out for him. 

wish him all the best too.