Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

See all the stuff about Aaron’s dad being some kind of hooped demon, it’s crap, he’s a really nice guy. Just Looking out for his son, And not desperate to get him to parkhead. Don’t forget they chose to leave Celtic to get a chance. Been delighted with his son playing for hearts. The key part is playing. Don’t think the family particularly want Aaron to leave Scotland, which kind of limits your options Tho and Celtic are the obvious one if you don’t. Don’t think they’d want to go and him be 3rd choice. It’s going to be hard to turn down abroad tho. Goes with my best wishes wherever he goes.

Good post

5 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Really? Personally, if he goes to Celtic, I hope his career is an abject failure.

Grow up

He would likely struggle to be a first pick at either of the OF. His family should be looking to England if they want to do the best for him both financially and career wise. Keeping in mind it would appear they don't want him to be too far away.

Just now, buzzbomb said:

Grow up

Nut. The day I wish any player all the best if he goes to Celtic, is the day I stop bothering. If he goes to Celtic he becomes one of them, and I wish nothing but misery and failure on him. 

Scnorthedinburgh
5 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Why no sell-on?

He makes it and BM don't sell down.

So if years of him playing for a great BM team we can be proud, but no sell on.

If he becomes a superstar BM sell up, we would get a sell on.

Rick Sanchez
13 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Really? Personally, if he goes to Celtic, I hope his career is an abject failure.

This.

I would say that if he’s going through all the effort of flying out to Munich in the next few days, just to meet club officials, when that could have been done on Zoom - then he’s probably made his mind up. 

Tough to compete with Bayern.

Edited by The Spy Who Loved Me

1 minute ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

I would say that if he’s going through all the effort of flying out to Munich in the next few days, just to meet club officials, when that could have been dine on Zoom - then he’s probably made his mind up. 

He would go with my best wishes.

A lot can go wrong with an 18 year old so I'd sell quite happily; he is still a boy and left backs don't win you games. As long as we get a decent fee with a large chunk of any sell on fee we will be well covered. For obvious reasons, if he goes to Celtic we must squeeze every penny out of them charging them a premium.  

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Backwards step for him coming back to us on loan. He'd be better of playing in the EPL u23 league. 

Didn't work out too good for Jordan McGhee

Edited by Section Q

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

All of his career? 

If he's not sold, aye. 

Maybe released, but same difference. 

If he's not sold, no sell on fee. 

Read the original post. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, buzzbomb said:

See all the stuff about Aaron’s dad being some kind of hooped demon, it’s crap, he’s a really nice guy. Just Looking out for his son, And not desperate to get him to parkhead. Don’t forget they chose to leave Celtic to get a chance. Been delighted with his son playing for hearts. The key part is playing. Don’t think the family particularly want Aaron to leave Scotland, which kind of limits your options Tho and Celtic are the obvious one if you don’t. Don’t think they’d want to go and him be 3rd choice. It’s going to be hard to turn down abroad tho. Goes with my best wishes wherever he goes.

Fits signing for a team abroad but playing the next year here. 

Really simple to me. 

3 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

It's amazing how the same stupid comparisons come up on JKB. Went back into a thread from April about Hickey where comparisons were being made to Wallace and Robertson.

Wallace - At the age Hickey was in late April when I posted (can't be bothered updating to debunk the same garbage) Wallace had only been in the team for 3 months and played 12 games.

Paterson - At the same age was 4 months in to his first season of regular first team football.

Naysmith - At the same age Hickey is Naysmith had played 13 games. He had played 12 games in the 1996-97 season. In the 1997-98 season at the same age as Hickey he had played 1 out of 24 games.

Robertson - Andy Robertson was 19 when he left Queen's Park for Dundee United. Hickey has just turned 18.

Tierney - He was the age Hickey is now at the end of the 2014/15 season. At that age Tierney had made 2 appearances for Celtic totalling 78 minutes of first team football.

My point isn't that Hickey will go on to be a better players than any of those mentioned above, but the idea that a firm judgement can be made on him having just turned 18 is crazy. I think people forget how young he is. When people say Wallace or Naysmith or Paterson was better at his age, are they really able to remember clearly what they thought of those players after a dozen or so games? As for Robertson or Tierney, unless you were a regular at Queen's Park or Celtic reserves you'd have no way to make that comparison as you'd never have seen them play at Hickey's age.

I'll re-post how I ended my post in April as this thread suggests nothing has changed.. "I've said before that I think Hearts fans (possibly all fans, I don't know) have a really bad habit of massively over hyping a player when they first come into the team, then when they aren't man of the match every week a year later they decide they are rubbish, haven't progressed or have gone backwards. Many fans seem to lack patience and understanding of how young players develop. From this thread it looks like Hickey might be the next victim of that."

Re my point, if he gets near 50 games in an elite league he’ll have done exceptionally well in the game so I think he’s far from rubbish. Even if he becomes a career Celtic player he’ll have done very well. Good luck to him, unless he opts for the latter, but for me he falls into your overhyped category. You’re correct in your assessment that we can (almost always do) go way too far one way or the other. Time will tell...

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

I like young Hickey but let's not kid ourselves on he's better than he is.

Nobody is better than they are :happy:

1 hour ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

I would say that if he’s going through all the effort of flying out to Munich in the next few days, just to meet club officials, when that could have been done on Zoom - then he’s probably made his mind up. 

Already been through the effort of flying to Italy. Did he sign?

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

Is that something you know that he is going to Munich to meet people or just guessing?

If he did go to Bayern or Man City there is certainly something interesting happening with those clubs and young Scottish talent. Bayern already have Liam Morrison (17 year old centre back,) they are apparently about to sign the 16 year old winger Barry Hepburn from Celtic, so if Hickey signed there he would be the third Scottish player 18 year old or younger at the club (providing all deals go through.) Man City on the other hand have 4 Scottish youth players in their Under 18 side (Lewis Fiorini, Cieran Slicker, Liam Smith and Josh Adam.) With reports they are about to sign 16 year old Rangers youth Adedire Mebude. 

3 hours ago, RedStarRiot said:

Seems a bit of a risk putting players we rate that are under 18 into our first team if we can't tie them down to longer contracts . I can see it happening again in future if the academy produces more quality young players. Maybe we need to try to keep them under the radar for longer and out of the first team picture to them get them on longer contracts in order to get those millions we would like to see of a player the caliber of hickey.  

Very good thinking imo.

3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

When was the last, or first, time any club paid £5m for a Scottish second tier player? Has to go now. 

I meant to quote another poster who had mentioned the £5 million figure, my opinion is we should get what we can for him, presuming he wants to leave.

SM Sheffield
14 hours ago, CJGJ said:

On one hand we are told he wants to play first team football and on the other he may well sign for a club where he has little chance of playing next season

In football money talks. So we look after ourselves and get the best deal for us in the circumstances and he will rightly look after his own interests but he won't be playing first team football at Bayern for example

As for Sheffield Wednesday they are already under a 12 point penalty for next season and hardly have a penny to spend

We'll find out in the next 10 days or so and hovering in the background are Celtic just waiting to see what the deal is then come along and try and tempt him back with a little sweetner thrown our way as they have that % clause.

I’m almost certain he won’t be going to Hillsborough because there are more attractive options but the part about hardly having a penny to spend is not correct.

The club have faced their punishment for the embargo and are now in a position to spend money again. With the alleged salary cap coming into place in L1/L2 the following season in England I expect the billionaire owner will be chucking the kitchen sink at it this season to make sure the club are not relegated

Edited by SM Sheffield

10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

He might not go to Celtic. 

Correct. All Celtic are interested about is how much he goes for, because don't they get a sell on fee if and when he leaves. 

Must be the only one who doesn’t see what everyone else sees. Good young players but was part of team that seen us at the bottom of the table by 4 points. Think If he leaves he will be back up in Scotland ages 24-25 at the likes of Kilmarnock or Dundee having stalled 

upgotheheads
10 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

If he's not sold, aye. 

Read the original post. 

I don't have the time to trawl back to your original post.

I wonder how many players at 17 join any big club, are good enough to hold down a place and stay there all their careers. I'm guessing zero. 

Sure, he might not make it at Bayern or wherever he goes, but on the other hand he might, and if he does then Hearts could be quids in. As for the player himself,  I'm cautiously optimistic. I've probably seen more young prospects at Tynecastle than most,  (I've been going there for around 70 years) and he has a few things going for him, most of all his attitude, athleticism and brain. He's got enough skill with the ball for his role, and that is often the least important of those four factors. He has as much chance as Robertson and Tierney imo.

9 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Is that something you know that he is going to Munich to meet people or just guessing?

If he did go to Bayern or Man City there is certainly something interesting happening with those clubs and young Scottish talent. Bayern already have Liam Morrison (17 year old centre back,) they are apparently about to sign the 16 year old winger Barry Hepburn from Celtic, so if Hickey signed there he would be the third Scottish player 18 year old or younger at the club (providing all deals go through.) Man City on the other hand have 4 Scottish youth players in their Under 18 side (Lewis Fiorini, Cieran Slicker, Liam Smith and Josh Adam.) With reports they are about to sign 16 year old Rangers youth Adedire Mebude. 

It was on the BBC Gossip column yesterday with an article linked that he was flying out to Munich this week.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I don't have the time to trawl back to your original post.

I wonder how many players at 17 join any big club, are good enough to hold down a place and stay there all their careers. I'm guessing zero. 

Sure, he might not make it at Bayern or wherever he goes, but on the other hand he might, and if he does then Hearts could be quids in. As for the player himself,  I'm cautiously optimistic. I've probably seen more young prospects at Tynecastle than most,  (I've been going there for around 70 years) and he has a few things going for him, most of all his attitude, athleticism and brain. He's got enough skill with the ball for his role, and that is often the least important of those four factors. He has as much chance as Robertson and Tierney imo.

Aye, but the poster said if he's not sold, no sell on fee. 

If he's sold, we would get something. 

If he's not, we won't. 

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

I like young Hickey but let's not kid ourselves on he's better than he is.

:notsure:

39 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Must be the only one who doesn’t see what everyone else sees. Good young players but was part of team that seen us at the bottom of the table by 4 points. Think If he leaves he will be back up in Scotland ages 24-25 at the likes of Kilmarnock or Dundee having stalled 

I'm with you on that. He's excellent on the ball but his defensive positioning, decision making and fitness leave an awful lot to be desired. The first two will improve with experience but I get the feeling he'll always be too slow and lacking stamina to play at the top level. 

Bazzas right boot
43 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm with you on that. He's excellent on the ball but his defensive positioning, decision making and fitness leave an awful lot to be desired. The first two will improve with experience but I get the feeling he'll always be too slow and lacking stamina to play at the top level. 

He might not make it at the very top, but imo he's got more raw talent than any youngster I've seen for a while. 

Technically very good, two footed and has composure on the ball beyond his years. 

He's got the raw materials which is why there is interest. 

Being a LB also is an advantage, far less of them. Anyone half decent is automatically worth more than their right sided counter parts due to supply/ demand. 

I don't see him as that slow either, certainly not any slower than say Tierney who is at Arsenal. 

His stamina/ strength will improve as well and Tbh he's more athletic than wallace and Naysmith were imo already as well. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

He might not make it at the very top, but imo he's got more raw talent than any youngster I've seen for a while. 

Technically very good, two footed and has composure on the ball beyond his years. 

He's got the raw materials which is why there is interest. 

Being a LB also is an advantage, far less of them. Anyone half decent is automatically worth more than their right sided counter parts due to supply/ demand. 

I don't see him as that slow either, certainly not any slower than say Tierney who is at Arsenal. 

His stamina/ strength will improve as well and Tbh he's more athletic than wallace and Naysmith were imo already as well. 

Yeh he's a good player, I just don't think he'll make many appearances in a top league. Hopefully he does as it's a shame in some ways how reliant those leagues are on athleticism. I definitely think he's quite a lot slower than Tierney though. Speed is only one component though, Alonso at Chelsea struggles with his pace but can mask it with height, strength and good stamina and I think Hickey lacks on those too.

ford donald
10 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

If he's not sold, aye. 

Read the original post. 

I am sure he will be sold shortly,seemingly going to munich for talks,he should grasp that with both hands,Hearts get a nice fee,make sure a sell on fee

is in place! Celltic have a sell on fee of due from us if he gets sold,might be as much as 30%.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, ford donald said:

I am sure he will be sold shortly,seemingly going to munich for talks,he should grasp that with both hands,Hearts get a nice fee,make sure a sell on fee

is in place! Celltic have a sell on fee of due from us if he gets sold,might be as much as 30%.

Yip, hope so. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh he's a good player, I just don't think he'll make many appearances in a top league. Hopefully he does as it's a shame in some ways how reliant those leagues are on athleticism. I definitely think he's quite a lot slower than Tierney though. Speed is only one component though, Alonso at Chelsea struggles with his pace but can mask it with height, strength and good stamina and I think Hickey lacks on those too.

Maybe, not noticed his pace Tbh. 

Height wise, he's 3 cm shorter than tierny. 

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, but the poster said if he's not sold, no sell on fee. 

If he's sold, we would get something. 

If he's not, we won't. 

Ok Apologies if I misunderstood the context. 

Certainly if he leaves us at the end of his contract then we'll get nothing as a sell-on, except maybe a development fee possibly. We are not in a position to keep him in the circumstances, hopefully he will go to a big club this window.

41 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Maybe, not noticed his pace Tbh. 

Height wise, he's 3 cm shorter than tierny. 

And probably wouldn’t have looked as utterly shite whilst trying to mark a superstar like Ikpeazu.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Ok Apologies if I misunderstood the context. 

Certainly if he leaves us at the end of his contract then we'll get nothing as a sell-on, except maybe a development fee possibly. We are not in a position to keep him in the circumstances, hopefully he will go to a big club this window.

👍

Hopefully Bayern for £5.5m then Madrid 2 years later for £120m!

The White Cockade

I like Hickey

Has been good for us but I think some people are getting carried away about how good he is or might become 

His fitness seems poor and he is a long way from the finished article

Hopefully he goes on to be a great player and I hope he does but he could easily go to a top team and be released in a couple of years without ever making the first team 

Eamon Bannon Ralph Callachan Robbo and Eric Carruthers all went South and did nothing 

Putting far too much pressure on the young boy 

I think we’ll sell now for a decent fee but he would really have benefited from a season in the Championship improving his game and fitness imo

Edited by The White Cockade

Few folk have mentioned his lack of fitness, but I think he's just one of those players who looks knackered when he's not. I speak as one of those people myself, my coach as a youngster was always saying how it amazed him that I was sweating buckets 5 minutes into the warm up but could still run incline sprints 90 minutes into the session. 

9 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

Few folk have mentioned his lack of fitness, but I think he's just one of those players who looks knackered when he's not. I speak as one of those people myself, my coach as a youngster was always saying how it amazed him that I was sweating buckets 5 minutes into the warm up but could still run incline sprints 90 minutes into the session. 

I agree, sometimes he looks like he’s blowing out his backside but two mins later he’s running the whole touch line.   

11 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I agree, sometimes he looks like he’s blowing out his backside but two mins later he’s running the whole touch line.   

Aye sometimes he looks done after 10 minutes but I haven't necessarily noticed is performance dropping as the game goes on. 

2 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

Aye sometimes he looks done after 10 minutes but I haven't necessarily noticed is performance dropping as the game goes on. 

Me neither.  The opposite in fact 👍

5 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

he's always shagged last 20 minutes

seems to cramp up as well

I don't know, he was leading breakaways down the left into the dieing minutes at Easter Road. 

39 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

he's always shagged last 20 minutes

seems to cramp up as well

It's almost as if he's a young lad that's still growing

1 minute ago, kila said:

It's almost as if he's a young lad that's still growing

Yep. I agree with others above too. May look shagged, but keeps going even in the last few minutes. He’ll build stamina.

Folk talking about Hickeys strength and fitness seem to forget that he’s only just turned 18!

Andy Robertson is often praised for his fitness levels and stamina, yet when he was Hickeys age he’d only just started training full time at Utd. 

Physical development at the likes of Chelsea, Man City or Bayern is virtually a gimmie, so when looking at young players clubs will look at players technical attributes, decision making and overall mentality. Hickeys two footed ness will stand him out of the crowd, being totally unfazed by playing a cup final at 16 will do likewise, those traits will far outweigh getting cramp occasionally!