Hickey - signs for Bologna

communist

Davies will get moved further forward in time. Hickey would be mad, imo, not to go to Bayern. What an opportunity.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Well done for writing off a 17 year old. Good job Andy Robertson took your advice. 

This is the kind of shite that ends up with promising players not reaching their levels and signing for Celtic. 

You have no idea how good he might end up or who is going to come in for Davies. 

Let the boy live his dream and reach for the stars. 

This is massive for Hickey and Hearts if he signs for Bayern. Just think what it does for our academy. 

Scotland needs to look further than over the border. 

It's not writing off a player to say I don't think he'll be world class! I think he'll be a good player and play at a decent level, but just don't think he'll play competing for Champions Leagues. I don't think it's a big deal to express to say I don't think a player is going to be world class. 

Obviously I hope he does well for his own sake and Hearts', but it's not as big a crime as you've made it out to be that I don't think he'll be world class.

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I never understood at the time why Dortmund signed Paul Lambert. 

In that case he was established player but what good clubs see is different. 

Lots of people focus on Hickey's control and composure. Less spoken about is his character. Still young he is focused and unaffected. Why he didn't need resting. 

Fair play. As I've said, I want the best for him and for us and if he goes on to be that successful then that would be amazing for both.

Guest ToqueJambo

The source of this "info" on Hickey to Bayern seems to be one of these social media/internet fantasists football attracts these days. He said a few days ago David Silva had definitely signed a 3 year deal with Lazio. (Silva signed for Real Sociedad today).

1 minute ago, TommyC said:

It's not writing off a player to say I don't think he'll be world class! I think he'll be a good player and play at a decent level, but just don't think he'll play competing for Champions Leagues. I don't think it's a big deal to express to say I don't think a player is going to be world class. 

Obviously I hope he does well for his own sake and Hearts', but it's not as big a crime as you've made it out to be that I don't think he'll be world class.

Fair play. As I've said, I want the best for him and for us and if he goes on to be that successful then that would be amazing for both.

He's just turned 17. You are already marking him down as decent. 

This guy is a step above otherwise Bayern wouldn't be interested. They scout worldwide and have seen him as a prospect. 

Andy Robertson was humpty at 17.

3 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

He's just turned 17. You are already marking him down as decent. 

This guy is a step above otherwise Bayern wouldn't be interested. They scout worldwide and have seen him as a prospect. 

Andy Robertson was humpty at 17.

He's not. He's 18. As I've said plenty times, hope he goes on to great things. It's not being critical to say that based on what I've seen, I don't think he'll be at a Bayern first 11 level. Big clubs buy up plenty of players and spend money on them to take a gamble. Most of them don't work out. Hope this one does.

2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

This all seems like PR for “sensational move from Celtic”. 

100%. Makes it look like a massive coup for them without spending much. 

He can only try his best and see where he ends up. Bayern will only improve him whether he plays a first team game or not.

Remember scratching my head when Dortmund signed Paul Lambert.

Proud that one of our youths has been given this opportunity and its massive for the club when trying to attract future generations to us 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, TommyC said:

He's not. He's 18. As I've said plenty times, hope he goes on to great things. It's not being critical to say that based on what I've seen, I don't think he'll be at a Bayern first 11 level. Big clubs buy up plenty of players and spend money on them to take a gamble. Most of them don't work out. Hope this one does.

If you've been following Hearts for any length of time you'd know Hickey is the real deal. He's way beyond any of our other youth prospects in recent years. And he's way beyond other young Scottish players that have broken through at other clubs - definitely the best young defender since Tierney and Robertson. 

In terms of comparisons with our young defenders, he's got Alan McLaren and Craig Levein level potential in terms of the maturity, technical skills, composure, etc he displayed when breaking into the first team at a very young age. And McLaren and Levein could have played at the very top if it wasn't for injuries.

Edited by ToqueJambo

4 minutes ago, TommyC said:

Can you not see his potential? That's all I'm asking. I want young Scottish players to move to countries where they can develop properly. 

1 minute ago, Homme said:

He can only try his best and see where he ends up. Bayern will only improve him whether he plays a first team game or not.

Remember scratching my head when Dortmund signed Paul Lambert.

Proud that one of our youths has been given this opportunity and its massive for the club when trying to attract future generations to us 

Homme, as usual, kens. 

Just now, Notts1874 said:

Can you not see his potential? That's all I'm asking. I want young Scottish players to move to countries where they can develop properly. 

And how will it feel if he movies all of 40 miles to develop? I'd be devastated. 

1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

And how will it feel if he movies all of 40 miles to develop? I'd be devastated. 

He won't develop in the slightest. I will be fuming but I think it's just the Glasgow press talking. Who knows though. 

8 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

100%. Makes it look like a massive coup for them without spending much. 

One paper today quoting that Celtic had a bid “well in excess of 400k” caught my attention to this could be part of their game. His dad wants him at Celtic, I know that as I’ve heard agents that have tried to sign Hickey say so. I’ll be gutted if he ends up there. 

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

One paper today quoting that Celtic had a bid “well in excess of 400k” caught my attention to this could be part of their game. His dad wants him at Celtic, I know that as I’ve heard agents that have tried to sign Hickey say so. I’ll be gutted if he ends up there. 

Even double that I will feel cheated. 

portobellojambo1

This transfer to Bayern Munich hasn't been completed yet has it. The last I read was something this afternoon, and the club mentioned was Bologna, and they were offering money of £1.8 million. While it seems highly likely he will leave it seems it is still on the table at the moment. While I think he will learn a lot from both of the two above clubs I think it would be reasonable to suggest that if he wants to be playing first team football while learning then the better option for him could well be Bologna. He is a good young player but from watching the game from the Nou Camp the other night it looks like Bayern are building something very special at the moment. And the left back they had on show was very young and looks like a very special player. It's a difficult choice for him to make, which is maybe why nothing has been concluded yet.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Guest ToqueJambo
29 minutes ago, TommyC said:

When Andy Robertson and Alphonso Davies were a similar age to Hickey now no-one thought they would be world class. But the clubs that bought them saw something and now they are. No-one who watched van Djik at Celtic when he was 4 years older than Hickey thought he'd be the best defender in the world a few years later.

Byyy The Light
25 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

This all seems like PR for “sensational move from Celtic”. 

Think you are on to something with this!

Byyy The Light
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

When Andy Robertson and Alphonso Davies were a similar age to Hickey now no-one thought they would be world class. But the clubs that bought them saw something and now they are. No-one who watched van Djik at Celtic when he was 4 years older than Hickey thought he'd be the best defender in the world a few years later.

You know Davies is only 18 months older? 

6 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

You know Davies is only 18 months older? 

Yep. Hickey will develop massively in 18 months in the correct environment. 

Byyy The Light
Just now, Notts1874 said:

Yep. Hickey will develop massively in 18 months in the correct environment. 

Hope so. Would love to see him go over there and become a superstar. I know he’s only young but I fear he’ll lack the raw pace and physicality to be top top level full back. Maybe a shift to dm?

Anywhere but Celtic though. 

Bayern is by far a better option than Celtic. Other than whatever handful of appearances he MIGHT have got at Celtic in Europe, he's at no worse a level, with a clear opportunity to go further than he'll ever get at Celtic.

Even if he doesn't crack the Munich 1st team, a decent season or 2 in the 3.Liga could see a 2 Bundesliga side come knocking. Once you're at that level, carry on developing and who knows what you can achieve? 

If he wants to develop professionally, he'd be a fool to knock back Bayern. 

jamboinglasgow

I do think with others that he may not end us as a left back at Bayern. I can see them molding him into a defensive midfielder.

For me he can go to whoever is paying the most and preferably with a large sell on fee. Don’t see the issue with him going to Celtic. It’s not like we will be challenging them anytime soon. 

6 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

This transfer to Bayern Munich hasn't been completed yet has it. The last I read was something this afternoon, and the club mentioned was Bologna, and they were offering money of £1.8 million. While it seems highly likely he will leave it seems it is still on the table at the moment. While I think he will learn a lot from both of the two above clubs I think it would be reasonable to suggest that if he wants to be playing first team football while learning then the better option for him could well be Bologna. He is a good young player but from watching the game from the Nou Camp the other night it looks like Bayern are building something very special at the moment. And the left back they had on show was very young and looks like a very special player. It's a difficult choice for him to make, which is maybe why nothing has been concluded yet.

If that's the black player called Thomas I think that you are talking about then I fully agree with you.  He looked fantastic.  And young.

Hickey could well be better to look elsewhere for 1st team football.

9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

If you've been following Hearts for any length of time you'd know Hickey is the real deal. He's way beyond any of our other youth prospects in recent years. And he's way beyond other young Scottish players that have broken through at other clubs - definitely the best young defender since Tierney and Robertson. 

In terms of comparisons with our young defenders, he's got Alan McLaren and Craig Levein level potential in terms of the maturity, technical skills, composure, etc he displayed when breaking into the first team at a very young age. And McLaren and Levein could have played at the very top if it wasn't for injuries.

Totally agree,first time I saw him thought he had something special,the interest from clubs abroad confirms his potential,hope he

goes to bayern,they will develop him further and hopefully into a top player.

SectionDJambo

If Hickey turns down Bayern, in the hope of signing for Celtic, it will be staggeringly foolish, but typical of the mindset of some young Scottish footballers, who seem to regard the old firm as a pinnacle, when they are, in fact, small fry in real professional terms.

Bayern Munich would turn him into a first class footballer, and no club will have a better environment for a lad, from another country, being able to settle.

9 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Celtic still being linked with him on the media. 

I just think they have no intention of paying £1.5M - £2M for Arron. They just like to still be thought off as "relevant" in today's footballing world when they really are nobody in Europe but their unwashed supporters will lap it up..."Aye, we wur in fur Hickey liekesy but Bayern just beat us to him". The weegy red tops have to write something about their darlings that massages the masses superiority complex.

Aye OK.

Edited by Pans Jambo

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Well done for writing off a 17 year old. Good job Andy Robertson took your advice. 

This is the kind of shite that ends up with promising players not reaching their levels and signing for Celtic. 

You have no idea how good he might end up or who is going to come in for Davies. 

This is massive for Hickey and Hearts if he signs for Bayern. Just think what it does for our academy. 

Great post!

pettigrewsstylist
4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I just think they have no intention of paying £1.5M - £2M for Arron. They just like to still be thought off as "relevant" in todays footballing world when they really are nobody in Europe but their unwashed supporters will lap it up..."Aye, we wur in fur Hickey liekesy but Bayern just beat us to him". The weegy red tops have to write something about their darlings that the massages the masses superiority complex.

Aye OK.

Nailed it 👌

18 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Only that scumbag rag the Daily Ranker could make the Hickey Transfer into a positive story for Smeltic.

A lot gets said about the English press (its coming home and all that), but to their credit they big up their young lads especially when a big move is on the cards. Where as in Scotland we get this pish, no wonder the games gone 

I think the only way he would move to Celtic is if they guarantee him a starting slot every week.

Don't know who their current left back is (not interested) but they might try to get him to move to us as part of the deal.

Personally I think he would be crazy to turn down Bayern.

10 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Well done for writing off a 17 year old. Good job Andy Robertson took your advice

Andy Robertson moved to Hull about age 20 did he not?

Not quite the same as moving to Bayern to compete with one of the best full backs in the world 😂😂

Bayern would be a great move for him to enjoy living in Munich and an amazing learning experience but he's not going to become a Bayern first team player imo.  Hope he does, but I can't see it. That's no reason not to go there though.

On 25/05/2020 at 18:55, communist said:

I heard a rumour that Hickeys dad has made it clear to the club he wants his son moved on this summer and doesn't want him playing in the championship, I've 2 questions

Is his father his agent? 

When does his contract run out? 

Another question that Hickey and his family should consider is how many players have had their careers ruined by interfering families.

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Not quite the same as moving to Bayern to compete with one of the best full backs in the world 😂😂

Bayern would be a great move for him to enjoy living in Munich and an amazing learning experience but he's not going to become a Bayern first team player imo.  Hope he does, but I can't see it. That's no reason not to go there though.

Yeah and nobody thought Paul Lambert would  get a game for Dortmund.  Hickey has all the right attritbutes to become a great player, Munich seems a great destination to kick on and learn his trade.  

Edited by TexasAndy

Clerry Jambo
34 minutes ago, Barack said:

Celtic will be flinging life time free season corporate boxes, duvet sets, trips to Donegal and cuddly toys at Hickey's Dad.

Trying to appeal to his better nature, in the hope of getting his son to not look further than his nose.

Like this post and more than probably true Barack

4 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Another question that Hickey and his family should consider is how many players have had their careers ruined by interfering families.

Funnily enough, Paul Lambert left Dortmund for Celtic because his wife was unable to settle in Germany and wanted to come home. At least Hickey, should he choose to move to Bayern, won't have a homesick wife to contend with. Getting there without family pressure however is obviously the problem you are alluding to.

29 minutes ago, Barack said:

Celtic will be flinging life time free season corporate boxes, duvet sets, trips to Donegal and cuddly toys at Hickey's Dad.

Trying to appeal to his better nature, in the hope of getting his son to not look further than his nose.

Hickeys dad has taken some amount of abuse on here. He’s a really nice guy, not some Celtic obsessed muppet. Remember he took his son OUT of Celtic to get him a better chance in football. He’s supported Aaron and Hearts during the last 2 seasons. Whatever he advises it will be with Aaron’s best interest at heart, not Celtic. Personally, I hope that means Bayern and I’d be really disappointed otherwise as that opportunity will never come around again, but I could understand if Aaron didn’t want to leave home. 

Just now, jambo_74 said:

Funnily enough, Paul Lambert left Dortmund for Celtic because his wife was unable to settle in Germany and wanted to come home. At least Hickey, should he choose to move to Bayern, won't have a homesick wife to contend with. Getting there without family pressure however is obviously the problem you are alluding to.

I was really making a point about how family influence can have a negative effect like Nikolas Anelka for instance who should have spent his whole career at trophy winning clubs but ended up moving about to clubs like Bolton.  Probably not a great analogy with Hickey situation.    I can understand his Dad wanting the best for him but is a season of first team football in championship that bad a prospect for him?  I would think it would help toughen him up as he would come up against some bruisers.  If he does move then Munich would be a good destination for his continued development but he would not get much game time initially.

Heartsofgold
18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Compete with, challenge and learn from I would say.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
Just now, SectionDJambo said:

If Hickey turns down Bayern, in the hope of signing for Celtic, it will be staggeringly foolish, but typical of the mindset of some young Scottish footballers, who seem to regard the old firm as a pinnacle, when they are, in fact, small fry in real professional terms.

Bayern Munich would turn him into a first class footballer, and no club will have a better environment for a lad, from another country, being able to settle.

I always considered Paul McStay to be the perfect example of a young Scots player making the wrong decision when offered the chance to develop at a top continental club. He stayed at Celtic to hone his skills by playing alongside the likes of Roy Aitken instead, who appeared to have a big influence on his career, even on the pitch with Scotland.

Though not as young, Mo Johnston was a good example of a player leaving the comfort of Parkhead to ply his trade in France where he became Scotland's most prolific World Cup scorer during our qualifying campaign (6 from memory and all taken with a coolness alien to most Scottish strikers), only to sign for Rangers and become just another 90 mile an hour Scotland striker.

No guarantees Hickey will develop into a top player, even at Bayern, but he will certainly become a better player there than he would at any club in Scotland, and probably even England, no matter what level he ends up at.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Does his Dad get a cut of any fee. Since he's representing him?

I have no idea but trust me don’t think he needs the cash. Also, I believe it’s Liam O’Donnell who is representing Aaron

54 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I just think they have no intention of paying £1.5M - £2M for Arron. They just like to still be thought off as "relevant" in today's footballing world when they really are nobody in Europe but their unwashed supporters will lap it up..."Aye, we wur in fur Hickey liekesy but Bayern just beat us to him". The weegy red tops have to write something about their darlings that massages the masses superiority complex.

Aye OK.

It’s more likely they are in contact with his Celtic supporting old man (who happens to double as his agent), trying to sell a move to Celtic to them, on the cheap. Suppose it all comes down to priorities. What I would say, is that if the Hickeys weren’t Celtic supporters, then I seriously doubt there would even be a choice to make. Bayern, City, Bologna, Villa... or that shite stain club from the East End of Glasgow.

Edited by Beast Boy

4 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I was really making a point about how family influence can have a negative effect like Nikolas Anelka for instance who should have spent his whole career at trophy winning clubs but ended up moving about to clubs like Bolton.  Probably not a great analogy with Hickey situation.    I can understand his Dad wanting the best for him but is a season of first team football in championship that bad a prospect for him?  I would think it would help toughen him up as he would come up against some bruisers.  If he does move then Munich would be a good destination for his continued development but he would not get much game time initially.

Ah, fair enough. I personally would love to see him making the move to Munich, assuming there is absolutely no chance of him staying at Hearts. The learning curve will be difficult, football in Germany might be played with a spherical object similar to the ones used in Scotland, but that's where the similarities end. The coaching, the quality of football, the life experience all very different from what he is used to. He should jump at it.

5 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

It’s more likely they are in contact with his Celtic supporting old man (who happens to double as his agent), trying to sell a move to Celtic to them, on the cheap. Suppose it all comes down to priorities. What I would say, is that if the Hickeys weren’t Celtic supporters, then I seriously doubt there would even be a choice to make. Bayern, City, Bologna, Villa... or that shite stain club from the East End of Glasgow.

Remember his Celtic supporting dad took him out of Celtic. He’ll do what they consider best for Aaron 

brunoatemyhamster

If he goes to Bayern (or Bolongna tbf) and it doesn't work out, there's every chance he could go to Celtic.

If he goes to Celtic and it doesn't work out, there is NO chance hell ever be at Bayern. 

This should be an easy decision.