Hickey - signs for Bologna

communist

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Honestly. We should be producing 3 Aaron Hickeys every season if our Academy is working. I wouldn’t worry about it. Celtic will ruin him. 

Obviously that level is pretty ambitious, but I agree with the sentiment. We don't play in a high quality league. Producing players that stand out at this level shouldn't be as hard as we're making it. 

Agree r.e Celtic being no good for him. I think he should think about how many young players go there and get chewed up and spat out. He's comfortable here. Getting plenty game time (effectively a free run at LB at a huge club in Scotland). He's not getting that anywhere else. If he goes to Celtic he's reduced to reserves and the odd appearance. If he goes down South he's getting stuck straight in the reserves and will have at least 4 loan deals before he's released. 

He'd be far better breathing. Sign an extension and keep enjoying his football building his experience and then once he's bulked up a bit going for that move. I'm sure some sort of release clause could be worked out if he's that worried about being held hostage here :D 

If he pushes his way out I think the potential he's shown will be ruined. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don't think even Ajax have that productive a youth system. Three 17 year olds rated over a million and attracting interest from elite clubs after 1 season in the first team - every season! 

The thing is, they do though.

Aaron Hickey probably wouldn't get a game for their reserves mate. 👍 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

The thing is, they do though.

Aaron Hickey probably wouldn't get a game for their reserves mate. 👍 

I'm sure I read Ajax are happy if they get one or two first team players a year come through, never mind three well above average players who could go for big money.

I also don't get why people are talking down Hickey. He's very obviously a cut above what Hearts and every other club in Scotland typically produce form their academies. We're some country for talking ourselves down.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

We’d have a really unbalanced squad, albeit still better than current 😬

I trying to think who the last player our academy produced. We have had lots of players who have have made appearances but I struggle to think of any I view as first team regulars or could go on to play at a higher level. 

Im far from convinced of the merits of the academy. Maybe it not so much the merits but the effectiveness of it. 

For our club that placed so much time, money, effort and pride in our academy it seems bang average at best🤷🏻‍♂️

There's loads of them come through and we always think they're going to be the next big thing & they always end up disappointing. Calum Paterson has probably been the best but even he hasn't lived up to his early potential imo. I hoped he'd go down south & do an Andy Robertson but obviously that hasn't panned out. 

We all had high hopes for the likes of Jamie Walker, Sam Nicholson, Jordan McGhee, Jason Holt, Kevin McHattie & probably lots more I've forgotten. I wonder why they don't seem to ever kick on properly. 

1 hour ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

There's loads of them come through and we always think they're going to be the next big thing & they always end up disappointing. Calum Paterson has probably been the best but even he hasn't lived up to his early potential imo. I hoped he'd go down south & do an Andy Robertson but obviously that hasn't panned out. 

We all had high hopes for the likes of Jamie Walker, Sam Nicholson, Jordan McGhee, Jason Holt, Kevin McHattie & probably lots more I've forgotten. I wonder why they don't seem to ever kick on properly. 

IMO it's because most young players in Scotland don't 'want' it enough. Most of them seem to be happy with a decent wage, starting off with HMFC, then getting a 'dream' move to either of the arse cheeks, with a blonde wag and a flashy car. Reaching the very top often requires a great deal of hard work and many sacrifices along the way - sacrifices few of our young players seem to be prepared to make. Maybe that's the reason Scotland hasn't had a world-class player since Dalglish.

indianajones
12 minutes ago, Musemic said:

IMO it's because most young players in Scotland don't 'want' it enough. Most of them seem to be happy with a decent wage, starting off with HMFC, then getting a 'dream' move to either of the arse cheeks, with a blonde wag and a flashy car. Reaching the very top often requires a great deal of hard work and many sacrifices along the way - sacrifices few of our young players seem to be prepared to make. Maybe that's the reason Scotland hasn't had a world-class player since Dalglish.

This. 

More bothered about hanging about in nandos. General attitude of a lot of young people these days is shocking. 

9 hours ago, OTT said:

Obviously that level is pretty ambitious, but I agree with the sentiment. We don't play in a high quality league. Producing players that stand out at this level shouldn't be as hard as we're making it. 

Agree r.e Celtic being no good for him. I think he should think about how many young players go there and get chewed up and spat out. He's comfortable here. Getting plenty game time (effectively a free run at LB at a huge club in Scotland). He's not getting that anywhere else. If he goes to Celtic he's reduced to reserves and the odd appearance. If he goes down South he's getting stuck straight in the reserves and will have at least 4 loan deals before he's released. 

He'd be far better breathing. Sign an extension and keep enjoying his football building his experience and then once he's bulked up a bit going for that move. I'm sure some sort of release clause could be worked out if he's that worried about being held hostage here :D 

If he pushes his way out I think the potential he's shown will be ruined. 

Yep, spot on as per OTT. 

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm sure I read Ajax are happy if they get one or two first team players a year come through, never mind three well above average players who could go for big money.

I also don't get why people are talking down Hickey. He's very obviously a cut above what Hearts and every other club in Scotland typically produce form their academies. We're some country for talking ourselves down.

In the last 2 years alone they've produced 3 players who sold for a total £200,000,000 (Kluivert, De Jong, De Ligt) that's not including the likes of Davidson Sanchez, Kasper Dohlberg and others that they have brought to their Academy from elsewhere that they've sold for about £100million in total.

They produce superstars every single season, not just above average lads. Genuine world class talents.

From roughly the same age group as the guys mentioned above, they've not sold

David Neres (Brazilian International),

Donny van de Beek (Dutch International), Noussair Mazraoui (Moroccan International), Andre Onana (Cameroonian International),

they'd probably get £150-200million for that lot as well. 

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I trying to think who the last player our academy produced. We have had lots of players who have have made appearances but I struggle to think of any I view as first team regulars or could go on to play at a higher level. 

Im far from convinced of the merits of the academy. Maybe it not so much the merits but the effectiveness of it. 

For our club that placed so much time, money, effort and pride in our academy it seems bang average at best🤷🏻‍♂️

It's not just about getting lads that can play at a higher level. We can barely produce laddies good enough to play for the Hearts first XI everyweek. 

Maybe that's because we sign loads of shite instead of just playing them. 

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Musemic said:

A move to the OF is a success tho, average wage at Celtic is around £900k a year.

Playing for Hearts is also  success imo.

What would you class a  success?

Someone might say a £30k , £40k, £50k salary is a success?

It seems now that only playing for Hearts or even the OF is not good enough to be classed a success.

There are various reasons why Scotland is failing and are very varied ranging from diet, attitude( like you say) right through to our Neighbour having a behemoth of a TV  deal ( while we have pennies) that allow it to  drain our  talent and a league based around 2 teams.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, indianajones said:

This. 

More bothered about hanging about in nandos. General attitude of a lot of young people these days is shocking. 

TBH, why bother when the average house price is 5 times the average annual salary, worst pension in Europe and in England you end up with £40k debt just for going to university.

The UK is an  absolute shit show for youngsters nowadays. Unless your parents give you a leg up it's 55 years of work then death and you'll own nothing.

7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yep, spot on as per OTT. 

In the last 2 years alone they've produced 3 players who sold for a total £200,000,000 (Kluivert, De Jong, De Ligt) that's not including the likes of Davidson Sanchez, Kasper Dohlberg and others that they have brought to their Academy from elsewhere that they've sold for about £100million in total.

They produce superstars every single season, not just above average lads. Genuine world class talents.

Donny van de Beek (Dutch International), Noussair Mazraoui (Moroccan International), Andre Onana (Cameroonian International),

It's not just about getting lads that can play at a higher level. We can barely produce laddies good enough to play for the Hearts first XI everyweek. 

We need to legalize Weed.

That must be it.

indianajones
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

TBH, why bother when the average house price is 5 times the average annual salary, worst pension in Europe and in England you end up with £40k debt just for going to university.

The UK is an  absolute shit show for youngsters nowadays. Unless your parents give you a leg up it's 55 years of work then death and you'll own nothing.

That must be it.

I agree but these guys have been gifted talents to potentially make all that non applicable to them. 

They just seem to lack application and effort in some cases! 

Scottie Wanshot.
On 25/05/2020 at 19:11, J80MBO said:

Get a good fee. Move him on.

Seen it too often about young superstars.

Might well turn into a star.

To date he has been a decent player.

If he wants to leave and get a decent fee with a sell on % in deal then move him on if that's what he wants.

he's a good player, but not great.

At the top level clubs nowadays the wing back role is one of the most important roles. Hickey will never in a month of Sunday’s play at a top level for one reason.....,, he simply doesn’t have pace. 
This lad for me is a central midfielder all day long and will have a good career but not a great one vastly overrated. 

Andy Robertson has all the attributes required for a wing back and has improved dramatically but always was fast ..... you can’t teach that it’s there or not 

lookoutjoe
4 hours ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

he's a good player, but not great.

He is a good player

he is a great player when the game is on tv...🤷‍♂️ 

Guest ToqueJambo
15 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Yep, spot on as per OTT. 

I'm just quoting Ajax's own website that states they only bring through 1 or 2 players from the academy to the first team every year:

"At AFC Ajax, the training of top football players takes centre stage. That is why the youth academy is also known as the breeding ground of Dutch football. The further you get, the harder it becomes to maintain your place and to reach the ultimate objective - to play in the Amsterdam Arena. Only one or two players make it to the first team each year."

I'm not sure why we're comparing Hearts academy to the best academy in the world, but one Hickey or Paterson every 3 or 4 years is excellent for us. The rest of the time if we get another one or two solid first team performers that's also a success. Nw and then a good batch come through at once - often due to circumstances. Eg Bowman, Mackay and Robbo. Three HIckey's every season is pie in the sky.

Edited by ToqueJambo

22 hours ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Paterson has made the very best of his limited skillset. 

His one touch finishing and huge arse, his appetite for ghetting stuck in and his aerial presence means he was always the most 'championship' player we have seen.

Spending a season in the scottish championship is an absolute waste of time for Hickey  - hes still very, very young and has already shown he can play in the scottish premier league. Why regress? 

chrisyboy7
11 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Paterson has made the very best of his limited skillset. 

His one touch finishing and huge arse, his appetite for ghetting stuck in and his aerial presence means he was always the most 'championship' player we have seen.

Spending a season in the scottish championship is an absolute waste of time for Hickey  - hes still very, very young and has already shown he can play in the scottish premier league. Why regress? 

I agree. Thete is now he should nor be happy to drop down. He has developed into way more than a championship player e en at a young age. He needs to move is we are expelled. In today's market we should get 1.5 roughly with a sell on clause to recoup what Celtic get atleist. If he had 3 years on his contract I would say 3-4 million but we are hearts and we just dont get these offers.

Tommy Brown
On 27/05/2020 at 07:23, Lord BJ said:

Agreed.

I'd prefer to be being more like Motherwell in recruitment.

Really good youth development and loan signings always seem to hit.

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm just quoting Ajax's own website that states they only bring through 1 or 2 players from the academy to the first team every year:

"At AFC Ajax, the training of top football players takes centre stage. That is why the youth academy is also known as the breeding ground of Dutch football. The further you get, the harder it becomes to maintain your place and to reach the ultimate objective - to play in the Amsterdam Arena. Only one or two players make it to the first team each year."

I'm not sure why we're comparing Hearts academy to the best academy in the world, but one Hickey or Paterson every 3 or 4 years is excellent for us. The rest of the time if we get another one or two solid first team performers that's also a success. Nw and then a good batch come through at once - often due to circumstances. Eg Bowman, Mackay and Robbo. Three HIckey's every season is pie in the sky.

Well clearly they do better than one or two a year. 👍 

We've manage to produce two top level International players in 30 years. Naysmith and Gordon. We need to do better. We've produced a few decent lads like Berra and Paterson too but they should be 10 a penny for us. 

Is it wuff, your standards are absolutely honking if you believe that. Every player that comes into our first team should be at Aaron Hickeys standard, that standard being, technically good and comfortable competing at first team level. Not laddies who struggle to compete. We should be producing even better players than him, granted, not every season but it is pretty clear to me that our Academy is substandard. Hamilton and Motherwell have produced better players than us. 

Scottie Wanshot.
13 hours ago, lookoutjoe said:

He is a good player

he is a great player when the game is on tv...🤷‍♂️ 

we wont be on TV next season.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Well clearly they do better than one or two a year. 👍 

We've manage to produce two top level International players in 30 years. Naysmith and Gordon. We need to do better. We've produced a few decent lads like Berra and Paterson too but they should be 10 a penny for us. 

Is it wuff, your standards are absolutely honking if you believe that. Every player that comes into our first team should be at Aaron Hickeys standard, that standard being, technically good and comfortable competing at first team level. Not laddies who struggle to compete. We should be producing even better players than him, granted, not every season but it is pretty clear to me that our Academy is substandard. Hamilton and Motherwell have produced better players than us. 

Hamilton and Well do it in fits and bursts, same as D Utd, Hibs and Aberdeen. As long as I've followed Hearts going back to Robbo, Mackay and Bowman, we've had a steady trickle of players coming through to establish themselves with us or have decent careers at this level elsewhere. I'd be interested to see a league table of home-grown players who have been capped over the last 30-40 years or so. I think we'd be pretty near the top. Hickey is a rarity - someone who breaks through at 16/17 and keeps his place. That's Robbo, Alan McLaren, Gary Naysmith or Calum Paterson territory. If your point is we should be developing three like that every season, what are you basing that on? Celtic and other vastly better funded clubs don't do that so how are we expected to?

The thing I like about the current crop compared to previous crops is they all look so composed and technically good when they get into the team. Hickey, Irving, Cochrane, MacDonald and Conor Smith in particular. Anyhow, if we're lucky with transfer stuff (which we usually aren't) Hickey should make us a lot of money.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Don’t see us getting much for Aaron if it’s Celtic he wants to go to. They aren’t overly desperate for a left back. They can wait til January and they’ll be signing him for training compensation minus the percentage Celtic have of him. Hopefully abroad is his destination.

Famous 1874

A banker winner for the Scottish Writers Young Player of the Year award. None of the other 3 candidates come close to him. 

15 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

A banker winner for the Scottish Writers Young Player of the Year award. None of the other 3 candidates come close to him. 

You kidding?  All of them have been a lot more consistent and older.  Hickeys time will come. 

15 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Have a horrible feeling that all these links with Palace, Lazio etc are just so that the likes of the Sun can then run a headline about how Celtic have fended off those clubs to sign him, really hope they dont get the chance

With several clubs reported to be interested, I would hope he could be auctioned like a hoose.  Even more money coming into the coffers would be great and bring about massive envy from those who wish to see us expelled.

Turns out that our major benefactor isn't a drug baron after all and is committed to us financially for years to come.

Are we the only club in the world experiencing great financial news in these straightened times?

8 hours ago, Ribble said:

Have a horrible feeling that all these links with Palace, Lazio etc are just so that the likes of the Sun can then run a headline about how Celtic have fended off those clubs to sign him, really hope they dont get the chance

:laugh2: Now you've said it, you just know that's what they'll do.

I just hope the laddie leaves Scotland and gets the right coaching to become a top player. 

CostaJambo
17 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

With several clubs reported to be interested, I would hope he could be auctioned like a hoose.  Even more money coming into the coffers would be great and bring about massive envy from those who wish to see us expelled.

Turns out that our major benefactor isn't a drug baron after all and is committed to us financially for years to come.

Are we the only club in the world experiencing great financial news in these straightened times?

Dion Dublin a shoe-in for summariser if this gets televised.

Imagine being a young Scottish defender and getting the chance to develop your skills in Italy, what an opportunity. Will really cloud my memories of him if he decides to go back to Celtic.

54 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Dion Dublin a shoe-in for summariser if this gets televised.

Imagine being a young Scottish defender and getting the chance to develop your skills in Italy, what an opportunity. Will really cloud my memories of him if he decides to go back to Celtic.

No better place in the world for a defender to learn their trade, especially one who isn't particularly fast, his reading of the game would develop so that his lack of real pace would be less of an issue 

Ac Milan in the running (again? cant mind if they were before)

https://sempremilan.com/report-milan-battling-lazio-celtic-and-man-city-in-race-for-teenage-full-back

AC Milan are one of five teams who are in the running to land Hearts full-back Aaron Hickey this summer, according to a report.

It was reported by Gianluca Di Marzio in January that the 17-year-old Hickey had been identified as a left-back target for Milan. Hickey has played 30 games for Hearts this season across all competitions and has scored once, and has been linked with Liverpool and Arsenal.

Now, SunSport have revealed that the teenager is attracting interest from Milan and a number of other clubs ahead of the summer. Hickey has another year left on his Tynecastle deal but looks set to leave with the Edinburgh side having been relegated.

Celtic, Manchester City, Lazio and Crystal Palace are all also ‘keeping close tabs’ on the player, the report adds. As it stands, Hickey will opt not to sign a new contract with Hearts meaning they will be forced to cash in this summer.

Seems the source is The scottishsun.  Thought by first glance it was Italian media.

Celtic coming out in the media saying they’re prepared to wave the 30% sell on clause if we sell him back to them. Apparently he wants to sign for them and he can sign in January for a development fee. Personally I’d rather take 30% less and hope he goes down south or abroad. He needs to be sold quickly so we maximise the fee we get for him 

indianajones
16 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Celtic coming out in the media saying they’re prepared to wave the 30% sell on clause if we sell him back to them. Apparently he wants to sign for them and he can sign in January for a development fee. Personally I’d rather take 30% less and hope he goes down south or abroad. He needs to be sold quickly so we maximise the fee we get for him 

Imagine being linked with a host of amazing European clubs that would do wonders for your development as a footballer and person to only move to Celtic and rot on a bench. 

17 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

And I' sure that has nothing to do with trying to take advantage of our (perceived) financial position. Exactly the same as what happened with Deidco and Wallace. 

Wanks

26 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

He is going west. Wants to play for them. We need to take the best deal we can get from them and that may need to include a significant sell-on %age. 

They aren't waiving jackshit.

Their bid will be AT LEAST 30% lower than any other club. 

I'm fairly confident the laddie has eyes for Celtic and only Celtic. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems another case of a young scottish laddie being unable to see beyond Glasgow. 

When AC Milan are in for you, you ****ing go. Once in a lifetime chance. Speak to Liam Henderson, Italian football, coaching, training is 10X whatever we're doing here. Even at Celtic. 

He'd be a silly laddie not to go for it. 

20 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He is going west. Wants to play for them. We need to take the best deal we can get from them and that may need to include a significant sell-on %age. 

Totally agree with your post. I feel keeping Hickey is a lost cause and it’s inevitable that’s he’s going back to his first love. I hope we insert a 30% sell on clause but maybe this is the mhanks way of saying, well we didn’t invoke it for you.   Besides I don’t think it’s an option to keep him anyway 

Edited by Saughton Jambo

Hungry hippo

Take the best deal we can and good luck to him. Really need to get a sell on percentage though.

Can't argue with him wanting to play for the team he supports.

If Hickey, his dad and his agent all think that a move to Celtic is the best option, why are they pushing for it this summer??

He won’t get a game for Celtic next season and will be sent out on loan. If they wait until next Summer, he’ll have another 12 months first team football experience, Celtic will only have to pay a tribunal fee (of which they get 30% back) and he’ll get a bigger salary and signing on fee as a free agent. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Saughton Jambo said:

You could very easily see Celtic sign him for peanuts and make an absolute fortune by almost immediately selling him on. I'd rather we refuse every "offer" from Celtic and what happens happens.

The sad reality of developing youngsters in a country dominated by one team is that a lot of them will be fans of that club. You've got to hope that they'll take the big picture view, that their career is more important than playing for one of the arsecheeks, but the reality is that a lot of young scottish laddies see playing for either OF side as an achievement. My worry is that we'll be developing the next generation of Scott Browns - Guys with no ambition but to play big fish and never challenge themselves south of the border. 

I hope Hickey is as brave as he was initially leaving Celtic to come here in making his next move. Going back is not in his best interests. He needs to challenge himself, playing for the club with all the resources against piss poor opposition isn't going to see him realise his undoubted potential. Go to England, go to Italy, FFS these are once in a lifetime offers. A little bit ambition will see him kick on tenfold. Going there will see him struggle for game time and stall. What does signing for Celtic actually achieve? A few pats on the back from family members? He's looking at a fantastic career at a seriously high level, but going to Celtic is the easy route and will not challenge him in the way that going south or abroad will. 

Goes to sellic we will get a reduced fee even with waiver but if he wants to go there that's where he will end up as he holds all the cards.

1 hour ago, OTT said:

They aren't waiving jackshit.

Their bid will be AT LEAST 30% lower than any other club. 

I'm fairly confident the laddie has eyes for Celtic and only Celtic. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems another case of a young scottish laddie being unable to see beyond Glasgow. 

When AC Milan are in for you, you ****ing go. Once in a lifetime chance. Speak to Liam Henderson, Italian football, coaching, training is 10X whatever we're doing here. Even at Celtic. 

He'd be a silly laddie not to go for it. 

He is 18 next week. Bit young to be dropped into Italy. Certainly won’t be a first team player. Could go there after four or five years at Celtic. 

1 hour ago, Barack said:

If he supports them and has made his mind up,(or his Dad made it up for him) then just get some kind of deal done.

****ed by the OF again. Next.

Not if we get a decent sell-on and the player on loan next season 

1 hour ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Totally agree with your post. I feel keeping Hickey is a lost cause and it’s inevitable that’s he’s going back to his first love. I hope we insert a 30% sell on clause but maybe this is the mhanks way of saying, well we didn’t invoke it for you.   Besides I don’t think it’s an option to keep him anyway 

Nope.  Family home just along the road from Parkhead. He will earn more there than our top earner and be given a four/five year contract.  Dad a season ticket holder, only thing good coming out of it would be a season or two back in loan. 

Unknown user
7 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

He is 18 next week. Bit young to be dropped into Italy. Certainly won’t be a first team player. Could go there after four or five years at Celtic. 

Don't agree at all, amazing opportunity at that age, he'd be MENTAL to turn it down. Beautiful, sophisticated country with beautiful, sophisticated women. Or this.

A_typical_celtic_fan_8173rf8.jpg

On 27/05/2020 at 12:16, Smith's right boot said:

That must be it.

Thank **** someone's talking a bit of sense at last